Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I marathoned this from start to finish recently, was the s1 ending reveal a big deal? It felt really predictable by the time they got there but maybe live it was a shocker or something.

Also this show's plot is what I imagine having adhd feels like, but on the flip side the whole thing had a very hitchhikers guide junior vibe throughout so that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It does a weird halfway thing in that first season. When they start revealing more of the main 4's backstory and personality traits it becomes fairly obvious they aren't in the good place..but at the same time a lot of little things don't make much sense if they had that twist plotted out from the get-go as anything but audience misdirection..like one episode ending on the cliffhanger of the sinkhole expanding and michael and janet freaking out, alone. Which really doesn't make any sense given the reveal..like there's foreshadowing to get there but also misdirects, it's interesting.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

silvergoose posted:

They made it very clear in the writer's room that Michael was under no circumstances allowed to be seen alone, because then he would just drop the act.

Janet, however, counts as making him not-alone, remember.

Oh neat, now I'm trying to remember if they explained that he snagged her in that first season or not in the reveal episode. If they didn't maybe I assumed she was "in" on it and glossed over that by the time they hit the reveal. Watching it back to back with no gap was intense, so many things happen at a breakneck speed (and then kinda spin the wheels a bit in s3)...overall I dug it (ted danson on earth was a great way to go out, sad they didn't pull a cheers gag)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

silvergoose posted:

Season 2 early on. Shows Michael sneaking into the Janet warehouse and him talking with Shawn about why they need a good place janet (bad janet explodes when she tries to be nice instead of farting in people's faces).

ha, so the misdirect in season 1 only seems like a mistake until you hit season 2 and realize he kidnapped her (and then i think s4 flashbacks when you see him initially tricking her in the first days of the building)

since it seems like you dug into the supplemental stuff, how much of the show did they make up as they went vs how much was plotted from the get go?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
not having him alone in any scene is pretty slick, i fell for it haha. i wanna say the sinkhole thing happens a bit before things that cement the twist right? like tahani being number 327 or what have you on the list she shouldn't be seeing

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Ted Danson plays the lovable kook aw-shucks thing perfectly in that initial first loop or whatever we should call it, he's not the tell, for me anyway.

Tahani did it for me, for sure. The moment they start to delve into the inferiority complex and narcissism traits (which is pretty quick) you question how she'd be there when the show hits you with the moral guidelines to get into the "good place" super fast and often

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

silvergoose posted:

It's amazing just how right Eleanor is!

I really didn't see Chidi's indecision as the same level of damning behavior they cast on everyone else for the most part, even when the show goes out of its way to demonstrate it with the actual trolley dilemma brought to life

but that's probably subjective

e: dude just wants to do some research before he picks, chill!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 10, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Argue posted:

As it turns out, about 7 billion people who didn't have the same level of damning behavior as Eleanor went to the bad place too!

haha fair, the entire system is ridiculous as shown many times in the plot

i guess he just stands out from that initial four when you look at them in comparison. that scene where he freaks out in this last season over having a small file and doing nothing didn't seem all that bad lol. is having a boring life better than having a wild rear end life where you have multiple stone cold steve austin run ins from a moral/ethical standpoint?

show was good :)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
"is inaction worse then the wrong choice" is a pretty fun can of worms to get into..i'm also :allears: with the way this show revolved around philosophy so well, in a mainstream network sitcom no less.

i was trying to think about how you can sum this show up to recommend it to other people, without ruining a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ishamael posted:

They did the Cheers gag earlier, when he is the bartender with the towel over the shoulder at Eleanor's birthday.

Seeing him behind the bar was an amazing moment, I think. But Cheers was a staple of my childhood so it may not have the same impact for everyone.

i mean, yeah, but i was hoping for more of a john ritter in stay tuned thing, less subtle with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKBsohgTKiY

idk, have the establishing shot of the bar be cheers or something. i'm sure people would have hated it, i would have ate it up

e: i woulda made the guy who hands him the loyalty card letter kelsey grammer or something and got booed out of the writers room

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 10, 2020