Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The Janet army revelation was extremely badass but... couldn't Bad Janet have just kept her mouth shut and completely stymied the judge? She only knows to go looking in other Janets' voids because Bad Janet spilled the beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Eat This Glob posted:

I gotta appreciate team cockroach for always striving to get better, but can you imagine how many points they'd get for alleviating the neverending suffering of billions of current and billions more future souls?

I suppose The Judge still wants to reboot, so no harm in trying, but ending eternal torture for countless souls has gotta be good enough for Michael and the soul squad to get their wings, right? Beats the bag off what mindy st clair got done, imo

It doesn't matter, they're about to get History Eraser Buttoned.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

They probably don’t, but most people find sleeping pleasant. Also, If you have infinite amount of time to do what you want, then there doesn’t seem to be much point in trying to change the human brain and societal norms.

Yeah, it makes a lot of sense in the context of infinite time. Seems like it may be a holdover from the "eternity without end" version of heaven--when you have a literally infinite amount of time to kill, why not just sleep between milkshake binging sessions?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I feel like it would've been better if Jason ultimately decided to just go back to his life of meditation instead of going through the door. Just a happy eternity of infinite contemplation slash mental blank. It wouldn't invalidate the door, just emphasise the lesson from Tahani that there are different people with different needs and different options.

Yeah, that would have really underscored the point about character development. Make it about who Jason has become instead of just whoops lol Jason accidentally did this wacky thing ok bye forever

From a character development standpoint the door definitely makes more sense as an end for Chidi and Eleanor.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Really? I thought it was a real low point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sorry for kicking off this argument, but we've gone way far away from what I was talking about, which is that life has meaning independent of death. Whether or not immortality is plausible or whether it would kill Earth or whatever, who fuckin' cares. I only meant it to be a fantasy hypothetical. "some scientist invents an immortality drug" could just as easily been "some wizard waves an immortality wand" or whatever. The point is, if my (mortal) life has meaning today, becoming immortal tomorrow doesn't make it meaningless retroactively.

Maybe I'm underthinking it but the point of the fixing Heaven episode as I understand it is dealing with a relatively narrow, practical function of being ageless and eternal--that, given an infinite amount of time in a perfect world with infinite resources, there's no particular motivation for you to ever up and accomplish anything because there will always be more time later to do it in and once you finish it there will still be an infinite span of time left demanding that you fill it.

The point of the suicide door isn't that life needs an ending to have meaning but that it needs the possibility of an ending. If there is no theoretical point at which you could say "Yup, did everything, I'm done" then in the long run (which is, for you, the only run) there's not much reason to actually do anything once you get past your big ticket bucket list items. Whether or not you actually ever reach that point is irrelevant (something that seemed to come across a lot more strongly in the second-to-last episode than in the finale.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

I really didn't see Chidi's indecision as the same level of damning behavior they cast on everyone else for the most part, even when the show goes out of its way to demonstrate it with the actual trolley dilemma brought to life

but that's probably subjective

e: dude just wants to do some research before he picks, chill!

The thing is that you can definitely tell that Chidi and Tahani do not belong in the same Good Place.

There is a utilitarian argument that Tahani could deserve to get into Heaven on the strength of her charitable arguments despite her moral flaws, and there is an argument that Chidi could deserve to get into Heaven on the depth of his moral character despite his general uselessness, but they logically shouldn't both make it in on the same scoring system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kazy posted:

I thought the reveal was just going to be that nobody in the neighborhood actually belonged and it was a huge screw up.

That's the thing: it's obvious that something is up but the exact details are uncertain enough to make the payoff from the reveal worth it.