Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Good Place is back for its final season! Yes it's sad it's ending but I'm excited to see how they do it.

Can't wait till tomorrow? Make sure you check out The Selection to learn how The Bad Place came up with the four new humans for the experiment:

https://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/exclusives/the-selection

And then The Good Place premieres on Thursday, September 26 at 9PM EST.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

In case The Selection is never aired, any ideas on an international friendly link?

I don't know, sorry

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

24 minutes to go folks, I hope you're ready!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Time for Eleanor to show us what she can do

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We do have Jason! It's true!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KARS FOR KIDS IS THE BAD PLACE THEME SONG

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oh my god

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oh good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Bad place truly are evil

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Simone is too smart for this lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wait a minute

She's just been making him more powerful

Mindy what have you done

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh gently caress he really cheated

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So that's one taken care of now the main mystery left is how the hell they can possibly redeem Brent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's no way that the Janets could switch, but yeah Michael being swapped with the Michael bot is pretty likely.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh and I watched Sunnyside, looks promising

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I live very near Sunnyside too so it's cool seeing familiar geography, I'd probably stick with the show just for that :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vietnamwees posted:

Just FYI, I'm still looking for the answer to this since I couldn't wat h the premiere since I'm out of town til tomorrow. Is it even known at this point after the premiere who it is, or is it gonna be another big mystery that the Soul Squad has to figure out?

The answer is in the premiere but unsurprisingly the premiere also has a twiiiiist

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

volts5000 posted:

I may have missed it, but what was the tell that suggested the Michaels were switched?

Part of it is meta knowledge about story conventions - they've reminded us of the Michael bot twice. And then he goes offscreen onto the train and returns acting in a way that might be a bit off.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

swickles posted:

The only thing about that theory which gives me pause is that so far every attempt by a demon to act good or play another has been comically inept. So unless they get a historically good actor in the Bad Place and put him on their side, I don't see Michael being replaced as viable for more than an episode, which frankly is about as long as I would expect it to under this formula.

Vicki was made for this role, are you kidding me??

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's no other jingle in existence that would have made me laugh as hard as Kars 4 Kids did. You're just going to have to accept that the good place is written for me, specifically.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Incidentally on rewatch I'm not sure how the Michael swap could've worked since he and Janet went on together. I realize now that's why some people initially said she got switched too, but I still don't think that could be possible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Girl from Arizona scene was like the most heartwrenching scene the show's ever done. No way that wasn't really Michael.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

I think that's just good acting from Kristen Bell and it's not the first time we've seen Michael give a pep talk. It's not like the writers knew that she was going to pour her heart out into the scene.

We get told that Eleanor was loving things up by being in charge so Michael uncharacteristically reinforces her will to stay instead of opting for the greater good and letting somebody else take over. We also know that he's lying about faking the breakdown and putting Eleanor in charge which goes against Michael normally being completely honest with Eleanor.

This seems like a huge misreading of the episode to me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I'm fairly confident the show's thesis statement was not delivered by Vicki in a Michael suit.

Seriously

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

You know, the medium place kinda makes even less sense now that we know no one has made it into the good place in five hundred years. I don't care how good her charity idea was, Mindy had a higher point total than Doug?

It's all because of the timing of her death. Had she died a little later the huge boost from her good deed would've catapulted her into the good place. Had she died later still, the natural whittling away of points that afflicts everyone would've gotten her back down into bad place territory.

The actual issue with the medium place is that it implies that not a single other person in 500 years managed a good deed big enough to temporary put their points in the good place range and then died before they went down again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Taear posted:

I will say that it's weird that when Mindy had the whole medium place thing you'd think the Good Place would be suspicious that nobody at all had been through to them for ages.
I know Jeremy Bearimy but still.

As we've seen the good place are useless bureaucrats

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Y'all gotta step back from being so deep into looking for a twist that you miss what the show is actually saying

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't believe people are still on this. They actually made significant progress this episode and Michael was directly instrumental in that. He's not a fake.

There's a good chance that the Michael suit is exactly what's approaching on the rails though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

It really is.

Did I miss something with Brent? Why is he on the right side of the board when they don't have him cracked? Just because he thinks he needs to be good to get into the Better Place?

The board wasn't "we know how to make them better" it was "we understand what kind of person they are". Brent is completely unrepentant and they still have to figure out how to deal with that in the long run, but they at least know how he thinks and what doesn't work on him.

Emerson Cod posted:

Eleanor, Jason, and Tahani are all getting worse, though, and he's encouraging it.

They definitely are not, I don't know how that's something you got from this episode. Tahani literally on her own came to an understanding with John and figured out how to make him a better person. Eleanor is struggling to cope with her feelings for Chidi and pushed things a bit too far, but Michael reined it in, got Chidi where he needed to be, and helped Eleanor figure out more healthy coping mechanisms. And Jason is Jason. This episode was the single most hopeful for the experiment actually succeeding so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He didn't go alone though! Janet never left his side. I rewatched the episode specifically looking for that and there's no opportunity for the switch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have no idea but the evidence that they didn't switch Michael is overwhelming so sticking to that because you can't think of anything else makes no sense.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

The thing about Michael being an imposter basically boils down to the Michael suit.

It was a key item in the last finale, it was raised again in the Bad Place mini episodes and they raised it up here in the first and second episode.

Michael might very well be real but it'd be weird, especially for such a tight show, to keep talking about how the Bad Place has this item and then not doing anything with it.

Look you can't talk about how this is such a tight show and then base a theory entirely on meta knowledge while ignoring all the stuff in the actual episodes that directly contradicts it.

Rarity posted:

Oh, this is the Bad Place!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It literally could not be Janet even more so than Michael because the neighborhood would've fallen apart. Y'all gonna drive me crazy

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

boo_radley posted:

Outside theory: it's Mindy St. Clair warning of an impending Derek-apocalpyse, having created a ton of incredibly dumb Derek-babies all on his own. This sort of fits in with everybody having a foil this season.

The neighborhood is literally in Mindy's back yard and their base is her house.

Taear posted:

I know it's a dumb thing to complain about but she was loving 11 when the first book came out.

That isn't a contradiction. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Glenn could be telling the truth if Vicky is pulling the two Michaels trick which is the only way I could see it working.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FIRE SQUID FIRE SQUID

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

whats that outcome mean

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

She didn't even say she's not a girl!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THEY DID THE UNTHINKABLE