Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'm curious about with Shawn is from the mini-sodes, where he had a moment of being less of an rear end in a top hat than he was used to being in listening to that one demon:

"She just said that, Weren't you paying attention?"
"No. Because she's a woman..."
"Good point, why was I paying attention...?"

Could it be that Shawn is actually getting better himself despite his worse judgement? Maybe the concept of humans getting better has freaked him out enough to get under his Michael-suit a little, hence him being so desperate to win that he's resorted to cheating - he genuinely thinks that the experiment could succeed and that terrifies him. Or maybe it's just shook him so badly he hasn't got the time to be ignoring his underlings like he normally does, because he's again, so desperate for a solution he doesn't want to waste time with demonic pettiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like to see Shawn try to torture someone with something he assumes will be terrible in every way but turns out to have an angle that the victim enjoyed. Just "I tried to torture Walt Disney by making him watch the Tinkerbell movies, but he thought they were actually kind of interesting. Damnit... Next time I'm going with Turbo..."

Hell, see him being taken aback by someone on Earth playing something like I Wanna Be the Guy and enjoying the frustration. "They won't easily torture each other, but they'll happily torture themselves... I don't get these dingbats at all..."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 27, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GigaPeon posted:

Michael trying to do a human thing then getting sad about it not being noticed is a pretty Michael thing to do.

But yeah, something fishy about that scene.

I still love the adorable scene in the end-of-the-experiment bash in season 2 where they get Michael the "Honorary Human Giftbox" Just his excitement at these total garbage items is cute as hell. "Aww, a stressball with a dumb corporate logo on it... so I can find it every now and again, go to throw it away then go 'no... i'll use it.' Thank you all" :3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u72aDNL3vRw

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Given the Demon's love of everything awful it would be hilarious to have a Demon pretending to be a good guy being exposed to Good media and realising they actually enjoy it because it's not poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It feels like we are focusing on Brent for now, and Tahani may get her arc with the gossip columnist a bit later like maybe after the experiment falls apart.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm curious about the first sentence in Episode 3

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The way it's approaching is interesting too - no one has ever hidden themselves in that way before, and everyone uses the train, so the Handcar is a neat visual. Slow, ancient, lumbering but consistent in pace, like a Railroad Zombie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With the talks of us seeing Michael's non-human true form, I'm hoping they have the budget to really go weird with it. It's a demon, biblical angels were terrifying enough to behold, so i'm hoping if we do see Michael outside of a humanoid form it's like someone made him out of spare parts who didn't really know what they were doing. The divine/infernal beings don't need to be functional after all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I kind of want to see them get more creative when characters try to swear, like have them use phrases that never existed but the edited versions get the point across, like "Why don't you go shove a fork up your ash-hole?" No one ever uses gently caress like that, but with the way the good place/neighborhoods censor them, they could invent new ones.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm more considering the idea of Good Place/Neighbourhood inhabitants evolving their threats to fit what the censor will allow them to say.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Taear posted:

You know, I still don't know who that is. Maybe if I'd rewatched he'd have stuck better?

He's kind of a loser even among demons, he was the one who was laughed at when he was worried that their picks for the experiment were cheating. Shawn has a personal dislike for him even beyond the usual bad place shenanigans.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

flatluigi posted:

He also had some interesting character beats in the webisodes they just put out that felt like they might be going somewhere with him

That's what I was referring to. He's more of a team player, which is weird for a demon. Even willing to face Shawn's wrath trying to comfort him. He's developing... *shudder* ... good traits.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm curious how much of an adjustment things were for Michael when he first started his initial experiment - demons have been shown to hate positive stuff and thrive on negativity, but Michael and the initial crop of demon actors had to interact with the same businesses as the humans, so were they secretly getting rancid yoghurt while the humans were getting pleasant flavours, or did they just have to put up with ~800 iterations of stomaching overly nice things that they couldn't stand. The equivalent of Shawn's threats about making demons watch videos of Red Pandas or threatening to have a famous chef make them a perfect roast turkey.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Taear posted:

I really hope they don't use anything from those since most of us can't actually watch them.

They're on Youtube now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

THis is an old video by now but I hadn't seen it yet and it's good so here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siz-3kmK7i8

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A last minute thought before tomorrow - what if the figure approaching isn't a staff member? They may be using the handcar because they can't summon the trains because they have no magic, so maybe it's a human escaping the Bad Place, someone who slipped the net somehow. The ultimate twist - someone who actually doesn't belong in the neighbourhood.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also like Jason's plan - Shawn can probably counter most human plans or retaliations, but Jason doesn't really think about his actions beyond "Go to The Bad Place, belt Shawn, Get Janet Back" so he'll probably be hard to predict.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved the closing lines:
Michael "Let's go get our girl back.."
Jason "Not a girl."

Also I like Michael's anxiety about his true form - he needs to realise that the Humans as they know him will probably accept any form - he wouldn't just be a juicy burning fire squid to them, he'd be the fire squid who worked tirelessly to help their entire species. If he was in a location far away from the neighborhood, his fear would be the only reason not to let his firey tentacles down. There'd be an initial shock, but they'd get over that once his tentacles ripped Shawn in half. Ted really sold that scene too with his voice breaking as he fears that he'll lose them just by describing his true form.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 18, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just want the opening of the next episode to be Shawn suddenly hearing a loud scuffle outside his door. Vicky gets thrown through it then Jason bursts in riding the three headed fire-breathing bear yelling "BORTLES!".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

So I'm still trying to understand the Michael side of the timeline. Shaun tells him about the Michael suit, and he decides to... not tell the others, for reasons including that none of them will know if the experiment would fail anyway. Then he fakes his freakout so Eleanor will step up to be in charge. Then he... lies about both those things.

I guess I'm still not getting why Shaun would even tell Michael about the suit in the first place.

The second lie was that the freakout was faked. The Michael Suit reveal was to freak out Michael and render him useless, which worked perfectly - Shawn and Michael just didn't expect Eleanor to step up and take command. That gave Michael a chance to get back on his feet now the pressure was off, and get back in the saddle, although given Eleanor was doing a pretty good job he took the opportunity to save face with her by pretending the freakout was all a test.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The whole thing raises interesting questions as Michael is pretty classically demonic under his suit, all fire and horrible smells and teeth, so would the Angels under their suits fit the classical biblical depictions of "wings that don't make practical sense and faces so beautiful it drives you to madness/wheels of fire with eyes and wings", and if so those are things that we have a cultural expectation for how they'd look, but the Judge is unique. The gently caress would her actual form be under the suit? There are no classical denizens of purgatory to base any guesses off of.

I've always been fond of overthinking though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have a theory about Brent or whatever the Big rear end in a top hat's name is - the characters running the experiment are afraid of blowing it by upsetting him, so they ignore him, and Janet has no choice but to get him what he asks for because there is no "I can't get that for you" in the good place. However, Simone, Chidi and John have no such fears - as far as they are concerned, they are in the Good Place and this rear end in a top hat is dragging everyone's mood down by pissing everyone off. Eventually even John's gonna get sick of him. That will be his big wakeup call, Simone (most likely) calling him out because he's ruining her afterlife. Maybe even sucker punching him. And no one will be on his side.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

itry posted:

I thought they said in the first season that a neighborhood has to have a Janet to run? I guess they have a Janet now, but she could blow up the whole neighborhood if she felt like it before they marbelize her.

Maybe there'll be a "Keep the neighborhood running while we save our Janet, and we won't tell Shawn that you failed him. As far as he's concerned you'll still be fooling us."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also something cool is that with every memory wipe they still retained some improvement, and every time it happened they started slightly better than they were. 1st Season Chidi would have stalled the Pictionary game for hours, either not being able to pick a subject or constantly restarting the drawing - now Chidi even back to his initial state is able to make these decisions with relative ease. It also showed way earlier in season 2 where he had to pick a soul mate, and MANAGED to, only for Michael to overrule him as part of the torture.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also remember it seemed as though the Judge didn't even know sexism was a thing on Earth: "Apparently I'm a black woman... and they don't like those down there..." She seemed genuinely surprised, unless she just never considered her own skin-suit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It reminds me of a book I read a few weeks ago, The Management Styles of the Supreme Beings, where the idea is God sells Earth to a third party deity because he feels he's lost touch and that it deserves a fresh perspective - the new guys completely restructure the system turning it from a punishment/reward system to a pay-as-you-sin system, and announce their existence and the new system to the world leaving no doubt in anyone's mind that they exist and are now in charge. Technically this does improve things as no one can afford to do evil, even the rich (due to how expensive the fines are, political crimes cost the GDP of half a country and murder alone is about 100 million to pay) so the poor stop being exploited, war ends and all the worlds problems are solved - however everyone is miserable despite the newfound equality because every time someone even thinks about sinning a little window opens with an accountant wagging his finger and basically saying "Are you sure you want to say/do that?"

If they don't or can't pay, they are sent to a supernatural debtors prison until the debt is paid by someone else. You don't die, you don't get hungry, you can't even move. You just... sit there for eternity until you get bailed out, and if you don't? Well sucks to be you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked "Please, a Demon Exploder? come up with something a little more be-*guard explodes all over him*... Touche..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

boo_radley posted:

"you all stay and enjoy the full sized sandwiches" was a nice follow up by Tahani.

E: the fact that this show has no swag is a loving crime! Where's my"dead eyes, eat hearts, can't lose" poster ?

She had some great lines in this episode, not just the "Please, I would never serve finger-sandwiches at a lakehouse." but also that great exchange (although misquoted by me :P): "I wouldn't know whether the salad fork goes next to the... whatever spoon..." "Actually the Whatever spoon is only used in very specific social situations..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It seems that Simone's major flaw was a failure to admit when she's wrong, although Chidi has her thinking in a more positive way by "Just imagine that this was real, just in case you aren't right about it being a dream, and try to enjoy it." She probably still thinks that it's all neurone's misfiring in her head but she's being less awful about it and is just letting the "dream" play out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

swickles posted:

She wasn't chosen because she has a fatal flaw, she was chosen to mess with Chidi who is the lynchpin of the whole operation.

I like to think Shawn thought that, saw her behaviour when the experiment started like knocking over the cake and just went "Oh, cool. Hehehehehe..... I did not expect this but I love it..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

She was otherwise doing very well, but she bought a NKOTB bodypillow and Shawn just exclaimed "GOT HER!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair it makes sense, you can't torture a marble. Of course they'd bring her back once they'd got her to her cell. That seems like more of a nitpick.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Merkinman posted:

Oh yeah. I forgot about that :blush:

Have marbelized Janet go through a real (after)life recreation of Marble Madness.

They tried that, she found it fun. Marble Runs are like Janet Rollercoasters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marbulous-...833374175&psc=1

Example of one for in case they are a purely british toy I don't know.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

At the end of it I hope that they really rub it in Shawn's face. Just Tahani contacting him to invite him to the celebration party with a "Well, if you hadn't constantly been trying to piss in our cornflakes, we'd never have gotten as far as we did! We kind of owe our success in part, to you!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually really liked this episode. Felt like the old seasons where they just speed through a couple plot points instead of dragging it out forever like making the four humans important. The gang's all back, Tahani got some purpose, and Michael got a nice pep talk.

Of course that means it'll all go horribly wrong next episode (maybe Derek learns how to do both bad intentions and actions). Or the Bad Place turns someone like Simone into a mole.

I think my only complaint right now is that the four humans are pretty ancillary to the plot; the only reason they're important is because they're Important.

Also they've blown up the bad place entrance so they can't get back - I hope what that means is now it's time for a particular newly-disgruntled angel/Postal worker to come from the other side of the tracks to try to mess things up after finally mastering anger. Bring on Pissed off Wendolin!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved "Why do you have that, I told you not to blow anything up..." "Exactly. That's why I waited. :)"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rarity posted:

This experiment is so gonna fall apart when Simone realises they're in the Bad Place

Ah but the realisation would be false this time. Loophole!

I'm thinking more "The Good Place wouldn't have assholes like this, maybe this is more evidence that this is all in my head. My brain conjoured up someone who embodies all my frustrations with life as I die so I have someone to take it out on."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The real trick is this - it's not his Good Place. He's there specifically for Chidi and Simone - a pet idiot that they can take out their frustrations on. Heaven is being able to beat up a racist for eternity. I mean, it's not like they can kill him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Maybe when the experiment ends something big will happen. May be a calm before the storm situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If Michael really wanted Brent's book, he could have just asked Janet for $60. Maybe he trying not to overtax her given how much strain the neighborhood has put her under already though.