Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the first ep wasn't as quite as impactful as we're used to, but it is early days and everyone is kinda constrained by the system right now, so not too many wacky hijinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Michael got swapped by Vicki, I hope he does a bad Australian accent at some point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not really looking forward to them trying to rehabilitate the Two Pieces of Normal Trash. They're not just Averagely Bad, they're pretty scummy all around.

And I know Tahani was kind of in that boat too in her original life, but she was much more instinctive in actually doing good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One of them is actually Mindy St. Claire in disguise.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's all because of the timing of her death. Had she died a little later the huge boost from her good deed would've catapulted her into the good place. Had she died later still, the natural whittling away of points that afflicts everyone would've gotten her back down into bad place territory.

The actual issue with the medium place is that it implies that not a single other person in 500 years managed a good deed big enough to temporary put their points in the good place range and then died before they went down again.

In addition, since she died while the idea was conceptual, it wasn't subject to all the complications and ramifications that every other good deed has due to their ripple effect that would have dragged down the points.

It would be like devising a plan to end world hunger, but to do so would mean destroying a whole bunch of forests to make space to grow all the food.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I kind of feel like they don't really know what to do with Tahani right now. She's just been kind of in the background after her whole confrontation with her sister.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm glad that Tahani finally got a decent episode.

I guess the weird thing for me is that current Eleanor/Jason/Tahani don't feel like they've actually become good people. And yes, I know Jason felt bad about torturing Chidi, Tahani literally just helped someone and Eleanor is doing the huge burden of saving humanity, but they're doing things because they have to save humanity. They're helping the four humans because that's their goal. It hasn't quite clicked into the 'do good things just because it's the right thing to do' bit yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It would be kind of impossible to replace Janet for the same reasons as Michael. Not just that, but being able to replicate Janet's powers for the neighbourhood would be impossible for anyone but another Janet, and we've already seen that Bad Janets are terrible at it.

Sure, it could be they've stolen another Good Janet and somehow given her enough complexity via reboots to mimic the Cockroach Janet, but that's just bending over backwards for this twist.

I'd say, just enjoy the ride. If a twist pops up, cool.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So if Michael is still really Michael, then what's with Eleanor's very valid suspicion that he still wanted them to have a slumber party instead of working?

Also they could still have called in the judge now that they have actual proof that The Bad Place screwed with the experiment again. It means resetting it but The Bad Place gets extra punished, so.

Plus the Accountant is noting all this down, right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing that I got reminded of after it was said that the demon regeneration process took months was that there's really no believable way that the humans could keep the experiment running for the amount of time it'd take for those three yahoos to get better. It'd get exhausting keeping up the charade for months and months, if not years or decades.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So I'm still trying to understand the Michael side of the timeline. Shaun tells him about the Michael suit, and he decides to... not tell the others, for reasons including that none of them will know if the experiment would fail anyway. Then he fakes his freakout so Eleanor will step up to be in charge. Then he... lies about both those things.

I guess I'm still not getting why Shaun would even tell Michael about the suit in the first place.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I actually really liked this episode. Felt like the old seasons where they just speed through a couple plot points instead of dragging it out forever like making the four humans important. The gang's all back, Tahani got some purpose, and Michael got a nice pep talk.

Of course that means it'll all go horribly wrong next episode (maybe Derek learns how to do both bad intentions and actions). Or the Bad Place turns someone like Simone into a mole.

I think my only complaint right now is that the four humans are pretty ancillary to the plot; the only reason they're important is because they're Important.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Janet can blow up an entrance, a Bad Janet can probably rebuild it with little issue.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They got 'dammit' past The Good Place censors, right? Unless they replaced it and I didn't notice.

Also there's some subtle constant downplaying of Tahani and I think we're meant to pick up on it. Potential wrench in the works.

Anyway, I imagine the timeskip is to allow the time for Glenn and Vicky to regenerate. The Bad Place can't be idle for that long.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The problem with the idea of the system becoming a Medium Place where everyone learns to be better is that it removes incentive to be good. If you're already dead, and you're not going to suffer (since torture is presumably out), then what's the motivation to do better? If it's 'To Get Into The Good Place', then that doesn't work either because all your actions are then influenced by the desire for reward (to get better treatment).

You'd have to repeat the whole 'lying about the afterlife' experiment with every person that dies to motivate them to improve after their death.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BioEnchanted posted:

If Michael really wanted Brent's book, he could have just asked Janet for $60. Maybe he trying not to overtax her given how much strain the neighborhood has put her under already though.

I think that was mostly Bad Janet being 'strained'. Good Janet seems to be perfectly fine ever since coming back.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Here's my dumb guess on what is going to happen eventually:

The lesson from the Experiment is that different tactics are needed for different people to be motivated to do good. Simone and Journalist guy (can't be bothered to remember his name right now) were turned around by one good speech. Chidi required the fear and pressure of being caught. Brent required direct confrontation.

That leaves a role for the Demons to play in whatever new system gets set up. Sometimes people need a bit of subterfuge or trickery or punches to the face, and that's where you call the bad guys in. Similar to how some people respond better to negative reinforcement, and some to positive reinforcement.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The moment Simone pronounced it 'day-tah' instead of 'dah-tah' any suspension of belief that she could be remotely Australian fell apart.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Robot Hobo posted:

Eleanor becoming ruler of Hell The Bad Place would be a surprisingly satisfying ending.
"You pansy-rear end demons think you know torture? Let me tell you about a place I call... Arizona..."

Honestly between Eleanor and Jason, they've got enough knowledge to make 80% of demons quake in their boots.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, the fact that John was able to keep quiet about Jason for six months is pretty impressive.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Transfer the clicker to the void of a Janet she's already checked while she's in the void of one of the other Janets.

But she's marbelizing each one as she finishes with them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Bad Janet not saying anything would mean that Gen might have just marblized Good Janet out of frustration anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MikeJF posted:

Also going back to get that it always amazes me when I remember that Janet and Bad Janet are played by the same person, I don't even recognise her when she's acting as the other.

Remember that she also acted as Eleanor, Jason, Chidi and Tahani all in that one episode.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Argue posted:

I'll do you one better, (speculation based on philosophical spoilers) the new architects of the afterlife will, for the duration of the reinvention of the afterlife, have their memories wiped, so that they don't know which of them are the judge, the good place crew, the bad place crew, a bad mortal, a good mortal, or Mindy.

The new afterlife will basically be a big game of Mafia/Werewolf.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
William Jackson Harper being just as super awkward about people being thirsty for him is amazing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This is great but why is the courtroom suddenly empty of people and furniture?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So what needed to happen for Chidi to get over his indecisiveness was giving him the memories of living like, 800 lifetimes and gather enough empirical evidence that decisions are good, Eleanor and him always end up together, and almond milk is still evil.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think that only appeared towards the end, and it was like a 'countdown til the end of your first year in the afterlife!' celebration thing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The timeline where Chidi's soulmate would be Jason would either be the shortest or longest lasting timeline.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Vicky strikes back.

Or, well, I imagine there has to be some of the old system that don’t want things to change. Maybe a penis flattener just wants to keep flattening penises.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Isn't the idea of the show being that there's always work that needs to be done to be a better person?

The Good Place being the idea of Eternal Reward doesn't quite work in the new system. The Cockroaches could get there, but I feel like that's not satisfying. They'd probably want to keep helping other people.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Pretty good episode, though most of the good parts were basically the non Chidileanor parts. Vicki has gone from annoying to amazing in just one episode.

I wonder how Glenn is doing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I hope Vicki gets put in charge of designing the experiments for all the Aussies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are two episodes left, I really don't think there's gonna be any more big plots. Maybe some minor twigs, but I think that while they might want to keep helping people, they don't need to shoulder the burden of solving everything anymore. Hence Michael handing his rock to Vicki.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe the challenge is gonna be 'how do you make it so the Good Place doesn't automatically defer to the Bad Place in the future'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Conclusions posted:

I don’t know why, but I assumed she died of natural causes, and got sent to the bad place because EVERYONE goes to the bad place.

Bearimy, y’all.

If that were the case, she’d appear as her old self. Unless they removed her memories of everything past age 25 or so.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man imagine Eleanor waking up being perfectly content in their relationship and finding out, 'yeah, your boyfriend got bored, he's dead now.'

Also huh, can you have babies in The Good Place? Do you get to 'enjoy' the full nine months of pregnancy or nah, here's your instant baby.

I guess that's the problem, when gratification is instant, you lose the fun of working for it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mindy St. Claire is the first person to walk through the door, while holding two giant bags of cocaine and giving everyone the double bird.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vietnamwees posted:

Alright, so I'm calling Simone, Pillboi Doug, Eleanor's mom, Brent and Disco Janet as cameos that we will see in the series finale. Who do you goons have?

Shaun, Cowboy Boots, that Reporter Guy who was the least interesting of the new test subjects, Mindy, Derek, Chidi's best friend, Camila, Glenn... I think that covers most of the people that appear in more than one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh wow, I only just realized that Chidi had no hesitation about going through. Eleanor waffled for a million Bearimys.

I kinda wish we saw more of Simone reacting to thing, but the finale did feel overly long and short at the same time.