Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Hello new thread.

I have a theory as to how it might end, but I am not sure if it has already been posted in the past.

I am wondering if they have never been in the good place, the medium place, the bad place, or even earth all this time. They have actually been in purgatory and absolutely everything they have been doing is actually working off their sins for either reincarnation or entry into the real good place.

Sorry I think you might've meant to post this in the LOST thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So the whole experiment is getting run off the rails by ep3 isn't it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azhais posted:

Jason Mantzoukas has consistently been my least favorite part of anything he's ever been in

He's really good at being an extremely annoying character.

And Derek is probably the first character in The Good Place that's villainous but not actually a Demon or Demon-aligned.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Literally every duck?

Yes

And also horses

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arist posted:

Oh I hate this dude

Omg, he's even worse.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh drat, it does work.

F

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Obviously he’s extremely awful, but it’s kind of weird that they keep judging Brent for just asking for stuff. They literally told him he’s in heaven and that he can just call a magic lady who will deliver anything he wants. If I was in that situation, you’re drat right I’m ordering some Perrier and a car.

Just drink water like a normal person. Perrier is some bougie poo poo that gets you bumped up in line for the guillotine

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh Tahani, this plan is gonna backfire spectacularly.

Edit: Oh snap, it's this thing all over again.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 11, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BioThermo posted:

Somehow, Eleanor now becoming a torturer feels like she's falling into the plans of the bad place.

I think this was the plan all along. Keep Elanor in leadership and then push her to slowly torture the other actual humans or otherwise keep their points down. I'm guessing the Bad Place may have an eye on the Accounting or something too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Yup. THIS is Evil Michael.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BioThermo posted:

It was a shot of a hooded figure operating a handcar on the train tracks headed to the neighborhood.

A long, long long way to the neighborhood.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:cripes: This is "Shannon was stabbed" all over again.

A fake Michael in a Michael suit would not have discouraged Eleanor from torturing Chidi. A fake Michael would not have been helpful to Eleanor. Also, MICHAEL AND JANET WENT ONTO THE BAD PLACE TRAIN TOGETHER, and nobody is going "Janet is fake".

There's literally zero telegraphing of a fake Janet whereas that's at least some telegraphing of a Fake Michael.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Exactly my point. You cannot have a real Janet and a Fake Michael because they went onto the train together. Therefore if Janet is real, Michael must also be real.

There is no more telegraphing of a fake Michael than there is that Shannon was stabbed and not shot.

I don't understand your reference.

I will admit that that's basically the only hole: a nearly omnipotent being getting distracted just long enough for a switch to happen seems unlikely. Michael pushing Eleanor to initially torture Chidi seems like a suspect thing. Also the destruction of problems thing since Michael absolutely knows what problem Chidi's talking about and implies destroying it even if Michael would obviously know that Chidi wouldn't want to destroy Jason.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The cloaked figure could be anyone. We don't really understand how the spatial geometry of that railway works so they could be anyone from anywhere. They could be from the Bad Place, the actual Good Place, an Accountant, the Judge, IHOP. :iiam:

That said, if the reviews are pointing out this upcoming episode as a big one, I'd probably :toxx: a 24 hour probe that the hooded person will be revealed that episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oasx posted:

Sunnyside, Mike Schur's new show has already been cancelled. The first episode wasn't quite as bad as the trailer indicated, but it was still pretty bad, surprisingly so given his track record.

So it did about as well as Abby's Place

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azhais posted:

Was that the Kal Penn show or something else?

Yeah. it was Kal penn

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Theory that the hooded figure is Glenn: Confirmed.

Theory that's fake Michael: Still up in the air.

Edit: They know the fans really well. All of this was in the thread, lol.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
OH SNAP.

I think someone in the thread thought about this, but it was dismissed immediately.

Evil Mastermind posted:

JASON figured it out!?

In this case, I think only Jason would've been the one to figure it out. I knew the lack of "Not a girl" was a bit off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rarity posted:

That episode :vince:

Love that they addressed all the different theories without letting them drag out all season

If there's one thing the Good Place is good at (and it's good at a lot), it's not dragging things out too long.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well Shawn probably doesn't know yet, so there's still hope!

He'll find out. And he'll be so annoyed.

He also might try and turn Jason but Jason is a pure and good boy who can BS his way through some of the dumber demons.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

stratofarius posted:

I'm still digesting that twist, not sure where I fall on it, but now it does raise the question of whether or not Janet doing anything Brent wanted her to do was an act by Bad Janet.

Ostensibly, that was enabling Brent somewhat

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Guess they're retconning that to be reversible.

I think marbling was always reversible. It just needed someone external to do it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Any instance of heaven that doesn't include a 6,000 foot tall fire squid is no heaven I want to be associated with.

This is why you'll never go to there Good Place

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oh god. Ultimate frisbee?

It really is the Bad Place

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Taear posted:

I wonder why? I mean big rock guy takes his suit off all the time

But he still sounds like big rock guy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The football analogies from Jason are on point

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
drat it Brent. You're just the worst.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All of the Janets running the afterlife would be a thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Hopefully this means the rest of the season is very Chidi heavy because I was kind of disappointed with how little he's been showing up.

The next episode seems like it'd likely be Chidi heavy at least. Someone needs to slap the poo poo out of the Good Place people though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jason's mom gave birth to him while doing a cannonball. That great.
Jason's mom died to cancer. That's sad. His delivery is just so positive though. It's great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Foot Lager is a good name for a pub.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

The creator of Funko Pops is definitely in the Bad Place.

I think you mean from the Bad Place

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Vicki!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay what the Hell is next

The definitely an ending, but it's obviously not the ending. What else is left to resolve? The Good Place itself?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
it's defintely gonna be a case where as soon as they get there, the place is just a mess because of the new arrivals and all of the Good Place people and humans who got in just sorta freaked out by all of the change.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

8one6 posted:

I've finally started listening to the Good Place podcast and it's fantastic.

Yeah. it's really good and I'm glad I got caught up to it before now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I don't see the ending as suicide, per se, but as Nirvana. They describe it in pretty much all but name. It's not a sense of happiness. It's a sense of pure and total satisfaction; a sense of needing nothing more. It's reaching the very top of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and then surpassing it. Full and total Self-actualization. There are moments in your life that can make that sense felt, but it's a fleeting thing for most people. For Jason, Chidi and Eleanor, they felt it. That sense of pure self satisfaction. Jason and Eleanor went in immediately, but Chidi waited because he knew that Eleanor wasn't ready. He waited because endings affect everyone and he waited for Eleanor feel ready. There's tons of stuff Chidi hadn't done or tried. He just picked up a new hobby. But he was already ready. He was just waiting for the person he care most about to be ready. That's what makes it different from suicide. For Tahani, she wasn't quite ready. She was satisfied with all of the things she could do as a human, but she wanted to do more. She was satisfied in some way, but she still wanted to do and experience and to help more. Maybe one day she'll walk though the doorway when she feels she should, but even by the end of the show, she wasn't. To put it in the parallel of reincarnation and Buddhism, she chose to stay in the cycle after she achieved nirvana so as to try and help others reach it. It's a valid choice, just as exiting the cycle is. (of course, they describe the cycle and existence itself as a form of tribulation whereas The Good Place, where team Cockroach is, is more or less past that). Their departure isn't suicide. It's independence and acceptance.

There's also how we emotionally attach endings, whether they're of life or shows or anything, to bad things. They're definitely sad and sometimes heartbreaking, but it's not. Endings are things that happen, and the sadness comes for knowing there will never be more. It then becomes "bad" because of the inability to accept that state.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Double post but

you know how there's some of those dumb "The Philosophy of _________" books that exist for poo poo like Deadpool or Batman? There's gonna be one for this series, I bet, and if it's not literally an 800 page textbook, it's gonna suck.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Something about actually seeing them in Paris made me very happy. I like Paris too. :gbsmith:

Also Nick Offerman was credited as Nick Offerman.

Generally I liked it, although I feel like I’d have been happier if it turned out they reincarnated into a new person after going through the door, and their past experiences acted as the little voice conscience.

I can’t imagine getting tired of the afterlife though, if you can explore everything and everywhere with a whole universe at your beck and call. Show me other planets, Janet!

After the first ten thousand or so planets they all start looking the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Her obsession is essentially just with human art, and the question of why we now or ever made art is the kind of question without an answer besides making more art. Judge doesn't have human brain or our perception of time, so I'm not sure duration-based concerns are very applicable?

Also a number of them are probably improv'd gags by Maya Rudolph