Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Jason gets flak for being too dumb sometimes but I really appreciate how dumb his jokes are bc there’s this whole lateral process that makes it feel like a cryptic crossword or something. I think I took a full minute after the owl bit to slow down and realise he’s referring to those cardboard cutouts of an owl you see in a kids library with a grad cap and I lost it completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I keep hearing that America did a version of Review and people say its goodand I want to check it out real bad bc American remakes of Australian shows are almost universally reviled but its always geoblocked or not available here :(

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the australian version has an ongoing storyline starting with Miles Barlow reviewing divorce and following his desperate borderline stalking obsession with his ex-wife after getting addicted to heroin so I'm sure I'll be fine

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the absolute highlight was the episode where he gets into a fistfight in the ABC cafeteria with the Movie show reviewer

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I was watching a cooking show with a bloke from Perth who had lived in London since he was 17 and I was instantly reminded of Simone so maybe she just picked up the accent from ex pats. It’s not the worst accent I’ve ever heard but it’s way too broad for someone living in Sydney even west Sydney

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

He got back into his car... and drove away.

Kirby Howell-Baptiste is also on Barry and in the second season she has a scene where she gets angry at Barry for suggesting she do an Australian accent and declares that she will never play an Australian.

Barry feels like the most industry/LA in joke heavy show but it’s still so drat funny in spite of that

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I didn’t realise the novelisation was out yet

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

They're on Youtube now.

Have you got a link bc they were restricted last time I checked and I can’t find anything searching, which presumably means they still are

E: just checked the good place YouTube and they’re viewable so presumably that was a dumb boner not unlocking them when they were uploaded and I’m just bad at searching

Also did that peanut butter jar convo seem weird? I might be imagining things and I know ‘Jason being dumb’ is just a gag but something about that really struck me as we were missing half the conversation. Jason being so dumb he thinks a picture of an owl with a mortarboard went to college is obviously and incontrovertibly funny to me but him just wholesale imaging a conversation about a peanut butter jar seems really sad and late stage dementia rather than lead paint brain damage (for tv purposes anyway)

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 13, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

That actually reads and makes a bunch of sense I may just have micheal double brain worms

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I don’t know how to convince someone that the adventures of chip driver are very funny but they are and I could have watched a whole episode of them just reading incredulously from it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

My piece of poo poo half brother wrote a book about his exploits working on a cruise ship, it’s not an exaggerated gag, dumb gently caress type a people write and pay to have these kinds of books published every fuckin day. We still keep the copy he gave us to read at Christmas to remind us of why we all hate him. This may seem harsh but he was acquitted of manslaughter for locking a drunk woman off her psyche meds on a 30 story balcony and abusing her via text until she killed herself so it’s really not

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i think "dah-tah" is probably more likely to be broad australian and "day-tuh more likely to be standard australian but thats entirely just based off the fact that i've heard both and lets face it, most people use a mix

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Cemetry Gator posted:

Chidi chose to stay because he couldn't just let Brett died.

as a Brett please let me assure you his name is Brent ie my coffee cup name, the worst name ever, as far from "brett" as "Stephen" is from "Steven" (so far apart)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Gaz-L posted:

Bell was clearly having a blast being evil. She almost never gets to play the villain, unless you count Gossip Girl. Even her previous character for Schur was an bait-and-switch where you expected her to be awful, but she was basically just the rich version of Leslie.

Did you ever see party down? That was the first role I remember seeing her in and she nails her character you’re meant to dislike. She’s not evil but she’s 100% the villain for her run. drat good show

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

pile of brown posted:

She's only the villain because she's obviously better than all the protagonists.

Not at being an actor (or screenwriter), clearly the only worthwhile jobs in existence

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

In fact thinking back I posit that the fact that she has no interest in show business beyond catering their parties immaculately makes her the greatest villain on the show including JK Simmons recurring role

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

He thinks Tahani's accent is a speech impediment!

RP is a speech impediment

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It was such an obvious joke and I saw it coming but ‘nah dog, it was CANCER’ *splash* absolutely killed me

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

boo_radley posted:

Get your best " This is the bad place!" reaction gifs ready: https://www.cbr.com/the-good-places-first-funko-pops-frozen-yogurt/

i can't believe this show has been out 4 seasons and it doesn't already have a line of funkopops

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Jameela is my only celebrity follow on Twitter bc she’s just extremely positive and passionate and reading her spiels is a nice feeling

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Goa Tse-tung posted:

not following Megan Amram? smh

Writers aren’t celebrities!

(I actually find writers and comedians to be the worst follows out of famous people I like bc they use twitter as a workshop for jokes and they’re bad bc who just gives away polished jokes in 2019)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Same, bad Janet

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Rewatching before I get around the past few eps and I wanted to post that Jason having a tan line midway up his biceps when he rips the sleeves off his tux during his wedding to Janet was DEEPLY immersion breaking

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Actually tahini has simply been further entrapped in Samsara by her connections to this world ya dinks

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Caufman posted:

Nice try, bad Janet. A bodhisattva can cross to the other shore at any time but stays in Samsara to show others the way.

I am actually super clueless about eastern philosophy and I’m glad these last few episodes had at least a couple of good concepts for me to explore and turn into a burning man costume I mean inform my worldview, given how hard this show has gone in on the western canon.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Are you talking to the vague use of ‘bearimy’ as a discrete unit of time bc that really doesn’t need explaining. The original gag was a very funny way of addressing the fact it is impossible to write a coherent time travel story that addresses logical concerns fully and thoroughly. I can see not having found that a particularly satisfying way to deal with the afterlife/earth parallel timelines or whatever but ‘bearimy’ to describe the passing of time is a very different thing

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Pwned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm still just super impressed by jameela jamil's ability to say the absolute dumbest poo poo with absolute kayfabe. I'd probably just watch the outtake real for the entire show by itself in one chunk on the reg.