Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Derek is amazing, and I love every scene he is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Mameluke posted:

They never really conclusively said, "he's not Vicki!" I felt, as much as the Michael question had been superseded by proof that Janet was taken.

I acquit!

Taear posted:

The characters from the book are the ones the show are based on and it doesn't make sense. And if he's basing them on young Tahani that makes some of the scenes that Dany does in the first book proper loving creepy.
It's just a strange thing for her to say unless they think there's only a show and no books.

Most non-goons don't give a gently caress about the books, it is a joke about the show. Also they will never be finished, so no one should have ever given a gently caress about the books.

MokBa posted:

Of course she's nonbinary, she's not a robot.

Ha, nice.

It's kinda cool how Michael has inadvertently made all these changes to the way this billions-years-old system works, so rapidly. His memory-wipe trick has now been picked up by the Bad Place, and he created the forced-reboot system for Janets that has advanced them further in the past few hundred years than they were in the billions before. (800+ generations for Janet, 9million for Bad Janet, compared to the 25 generations of Janet we hear about in S1). No matter what happens at the end, Michael has changed the game a lot already.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

8one6 posted:

I would love it if in the end they realize that infinite punishment for finite sin is inherently hosed up and dismantle the entire system while loudly and directly into the camera stating that anyone who thinks it's a good system is a lovely person.

It really is, I mean think about it: Every single person is entered into a contest, the rules of which they are not allowed to know, and if they win they get eternal happiness and if they lose they are tortured for eternity. That suuuuuucks. Oh, and also: no one wins. Who designed this? And why??

:psyduck:

Let's waste some time and do what nerds do best: nitpick fictional institutions. So let's talk about the system for a minute. We are shown two different explanations for going to the Bad Place.

On one hand we have Tahani, who we were told was sent to TBP because she did good things but for bad reasons. This indicates that INTENTION is the key. You can do good things, but if you do them for the wrong reason, the points are not counted.

Later, Michael uses the tomato example, which is all about ACTION as the key. A man with good intentions buys a tomato, but unwittingly supports a corrupt system. In this example his intention did not matter, every action's consequences are counted regardless of intention.

So, which one is it? If actions are the ultimate metric, then Tahani should have gotten into TGP since she donated BILLIONS to charity. If even a fraction of those people were helped, that should be a huge number of points that even a lifetime of private jet trips shouldn't be able to overcome.

But if intention is the true key, then the tomato guy shouldn't have lost points, since he was doing a neutral action with no corrupt intentions (livin that tomato lyfe).

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Rarity posted:

The key is intention and action together it's not that difficult

:rolleyes: awesome

Either intention matters or it doesn't, mens rea vs actus rea. It changes the way the system works dramatically.

Another thing to consider is that we don't actually know if Michael was telling the truth when he told Tahani why she went to the Bad Place. That was back in S1, when he was still torturing them. The only actual facts we have are from when he stole the Book of Dougs, everything before that may have been conjecture.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

The points system in the show is the inverse of this, where either one of the two alone will convict you.

It does seem that way, which really leads to the question of WHY this system exists. What is the point of a punishment system where the rules are secret and knowing the rules disqualifies you from playing?

In real life, religious systems are created to give people a hope of a benefit after death, basically persuading people to be good in hopes of a reward/fear of a punishment. If the system is secret, then why keep track of people's points? What benefit does the system get from having people be sorted into good and bad?

Basically what I am saying is that we need to meet God in this show, and I hope they get someone awesome to play God.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I think this season has had some great jokes, but it has felt like a lot of setup, and I keep waiting for the real action to kick off.

That said, this quote from that article about Brent was interesting:

Mike Schur posted:

there was actually a line we cut from [Episode 6] where John (Brandon Scott Jones) goes up to Eleanor at some point after Brent has angrily stormed off out of his own book party and says, "Can I just ask you something? How did Brent get into the Good Place?" And Eleanor has an answer prepared because they've obviously learned by this point that people would be asking that question, and she says his company made a lot of medical supplies for hospitals. His company made tons of bedpans and syringe needles and stuff for hospitals. And that sort of worked for John. He was like, "OK yeah, I guess the way the system worked, if you provide a lot of medical services stuff to help people get healthier, then ohh all right." We ended up cutting that line just for time, but it was a question for us.

That is a good explanation, I think it would have helped to leave it in. Without it, it feels like Brent's inherent shittiness is going to tip everyone off that this is not the real Good Place.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Man, this show does twists like no other. I love that the whole thing has been blown up by Episode 7 and I really have no idea what comes next.

There is no other comedy sitcom that compares.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Propaniac posted:

What scene does the thread title come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imiGUPwY1JU&t=113s

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Man that was a good episode. It hit all the stuff I love about this show - some top-notch jokes, great heart and fun twists. Plus an army of Janets!

Can't wait to see what comes next.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't know who to believe!!

There are two wolves inside of you.

Both wolves are goons.

You are not mentally sound.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I thought this week would be more like the last 10 minutes of the previous episode (crazy plot-heavy wackiness), and I was ready for that. But this was totally different, and I ended up loving it a lot. Seeing the full arc of Chidi and how he has grown was great, and an excellently crafted emotional beat.

I wish we had gotten some hints about what is next before the mid-season break, but that would be very non-GoodPlace, so I guess it isn't surprising.

Biggest laugh of the episode for me was "I never knew my parents went to counseling" "I know, kids are stupid."

Or the red boots.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I'm not sure there will be any more twists, there isn't that much time left so it might be just about setting up the new system and then resolving the character journeys. But of course I have never been right once about what will happen on this show, so I look forward to being proven wrong again!

This is awesome

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Mondays, am I right? *CHAINSAW NOISES*

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

I thought it was established that he is going to the bad place because his motivation isn't correct.

No, he had a large number of points, but with the unfair system it still wasn't enough to meet the threshold.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

This show gonna end on a pro-suicide note with all the main characters committing suicide?

Well it is not suicide, since they are all already dead.

I found their solution to be really affecting, the idea of the afterlife as a pit stop on the way to your true ending was a beautiful one, to me.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

After how good this show has been, I think one or more of the characters walking through the suicide door would put a huge damper on the finale for me. I want happy endings.

But isn't that kind of what they have been saying all along? There is no such thing as a happy ending, and trying to delay the ending to make it "happy" just creates eternal misery, one way or another. The only reason life has value is because it ends.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

It is really interesting to see the range of reactions to their solution. To me it felt very elegant and beautiful, it restored the mystery of death to this eternal waiting room that had been created to prevent it.

And "Death gives life meaning" is not a platitude, it is literally the truth. There will never be a version of human life without death, so it is just a basic fact. That we can try to imagine what it might be like to live forever doesn't make it true, so the fact will always exist that death is part of life, and part of what gives it form and purpose.

My complaint with this episode is that it felt a bit rushed. I think that finding out the Good Place is hosed and figuring out a solution could have been a great multi-episode arc. It is hard not to think back on the Brent/Simone episodes and feel like we wasted too much time with that part of the story.

But there is still the ending left to go, and I really have no idea how this will end. There are so many ways it could go, from a long sad goodbye to a final twist, to someone higher up the chain coming to block the use of the Death Door. This show is really about philosophy and punishment rather than life and death, but you never know: there's still time for a Bill Murray-as-God appearance!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That means death has some contribution to life's meaning, but its often used to mean "Death allows life to find a purpose" which comes awfully close to saying that death is a good thing. Yeah, the finality of peoples existence is a huge deal, but death loving sucks.

It feels like the show might be trying to say that the only thing that sucks more than dying is living forever.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Arist posted:

The problem with "they should just find a way to live forever in the afterlife" is that we, the viewers, can't do that so any solution that involves it is inherently meaningless. Part of the point is to come to terms with your own inevitable death. I think it's really beautiful.

Well said. There’s something compelling about the idea that they found an eternal afterlife and after fixing it realized that *anything* eternal is untenable, and actual death is the only way for things to end.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

ashpanash posted:

I think the discussion is interesting, but I do want to clarify that the concept that people in the good place would be burnt out and be brain zombies after infinite pleasure is a good one, and a very natural place for the show to start mining stories from.

I agree, the only problem I have had is the speed it happened. I think this is a great thing to explore and I wish we had more time to do it. Learning the problem and solving it in one/two episodes is a little less impactful, I think.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

So I know it's a TV comedy and not deserving of the nitpick treatment, but if Janet knows everything why didn't she know that the Good Place was broken, or that no people had been allowed to enter in hundreds of years? She knows who went to the bad place, as she showed at the beginning and again when she tells Chidi that Aristotle was in the Bad Place because of slavery.

But, I guess they can't make her truly omniscient because she would have seen through Michael's plan immediately and known she was in the Bad Place.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

That would be amazing but.... it’s not the good place for Kamilah, so I can’t see how it can happen.

Actually, considering that each person was meant to have their own ideal party (but the cockroaches went together) how does that work with the other people? Surely they should be at their own party?

I don't think the party is the entire good place, it is just the welcome. I imagine after the initial meet and greet, everyone can go off and do whatever they like.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

D'Arcy has been posting BTS pics on her instagram, here are some of them:

plus just a couple because this is a super good looking cast of people:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

In the podcast, Jameela says that D’Arcy held herself slightly differently when she was playing Bad Janet pretending to be Good Janet. Usually when Janet is just standing there, she holds her thumb in her other hand. Playing BJPtbGJ, she held her other thumb, as a subtle tell that something was off. D’Arcy deserves all the accolades.

She really is amazing in this show. I think the scene where they “murder” Janet in S01 is when this show went from ‘fun’ to ‘amazing’ in my mind. And that scene works so well because of Carden, she is hilarious as Janet and continued to show more and more depth as they went.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Rewatched the finale, and was able to enjoy it a lot more the second time. The first time I kept waiting for a twist that never came, so I didn't take the time to appreciate the goodbyes as they happened.

I think it was a beautiful idea to take the last episode of this show that has always been about the idea of life after death, and make it actually about death in the final moments. The way they approached death and the end of existence was really beautiful, and the bit with Chidi talking about the wave was incredible, and not something I ever thought I would see on network TV. (I have the Thich Naht Hahn book that example originates from, it's a beautiful book)

The final moment with Michael was the perfect mix of sad and funny, and reminded me of the Rural Juror song that closed out the finale of 30 Rock: Very moving, and very, very dumb. Exactly how this show has always done it.

Everything with the door was beautiful, and the final shot of Eleanor going through was truly moving. I'm gonna miss this awesome show.

But, since it is TVIV, let's do some nitpicks.

I think they missed an opportunity in "Patty" to set up the finale better. Hypatia talks about how they are all pleasure zombies, but escaping that isn't what the finale was about. Instead, what we really saw in the finale was people achieving a sort of transcendence and wanting to move on, and when they didn't (like Chidi) they got more and more unhappy. If they had showed that all the Good Place people hit a point of perfect peace and then weren't allowed to return to the universe like they wanted to, causing a form of torture, I think it would have made their solution to fixing the Good Place make more sense.

Looking at S4 as a whole, it is really obvious that the Test took up too much time. Brent, Simone and the rest were never as compelling as the main cast, and we wasted too much time on them. I wanted more time in the Good Place instead, figuring out that paradise wasn't so great and making the tough decision to create a new after-afterlife that allows people to dissolve into nothing and return to the universe.

I think that the last episode was a really great meditation on death, and it was really beautiful. We all have to die and none of us know what happens, and showing people facing that unknown with peace and contentment was a really moving idea. However, that was never really the heart of the show. The show was about friendship and how it can make us all better, and about how life sucks but we can all try to do a little better tomorrow than we did today. That message felt muted at the end, and instead we switched to a different (albeit very beautiful) musing on death and endings. I think that the scene in S3 where Eleanor decides that even though they are doomed, they can help others, is one of the most beautiful scenes in any media. I would have liked at least a bit more of that message at the end: Trying is better than not trying.

So those are my nitpicks, and they are definitely nitpicks. Overall, this show gets top marks for trying something new constantly, being so fuckin smart, and being incredibly funny. I don't know if I have ever laughed as hard at a TV show as when Michael explained Jeremy Bearimy and then Chidi was broken by the dot in the i. I had to pause the show and walk away to compose myself. So forking good.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 14, 2020

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

curiousCat posted:

god, I almost cried just reading this, what the hell

It's all down to Jane Krakowski's performance, she manages to sing that stupid, stupid song with tears in her eyes and it is just a great performance.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Strong Convections posted:

Might be seen as nitpicky, but the difference is really important in my mind: we can do a little better today than we did yesterday.
It's about now, not later.

True.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

Their solution, that I think is bullshit, is to say that death oblivion gives life afterlife meaning, and to install a euthanasia door. I'm not really sure how that's supposed to help, to be honest, and it reminds me too much of the argument that (here on Earth) death gives our much-less-perfect life meaning, which is stupid bullshit meant to justify the existence of suffering, mollify those who would criticize evil, and keep people content in the face of unfathomable darkness. I don't want to die, and I reject the idea that what I do today becomes meaningless if some scientist invents an immortality drug tomorrow.

But you are going to die, we all are. There is no immortality drug, and there never will be. So death can either be something that seen is a natural and necessary part of life, or it can be something we kick and scream against despite it being an inevitability.

There is a long-standing argument between those two philosophies, whether death creates meaning for life, or if life has meaning despite death. I think arguments can be made both ways, but the show picked a side on this, and then followed it to the conclusion. You calling it a "euthanasia door" doesn't change the fact that it specifically wasn't that, and it was really a metaphor for how a life well-lived can create positivity that ripples out even after we die. (I think there are a few things the door represents, but that is certainly one of them)

quote:

Personally, since the first time they took the train to the Medium Place, I'd been hoping that the series ends with them invading the Good Place and killing God (who'd probably be called The First Architect or something) for the crime of creating the Bad Place, destroying the entire universe in the process. Or something like that.

There was no chance of this ever being a part of the show, and none of this would have fit the tone, themes or style of what they were doing here. But I guess you can watch Golden Compass if you want that storyline.

I had also originally hoped for an explanation of why the system was in place, but I can understand that touching on the idea of god or gods would have opened up a lot of cans of worms that would have detracted from the message. Tying this to a real religion (or excluding them) by describing a deity would have made the afterlife the point, when really the afterlife was the story conceit that allowed them to ask questions about morality and what it means to be a good person.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Android Blues posted:

I'm reconciled to it, my man. I think you're being weirdly hostile here? It's perfectly possible to process grief without coming to the conclusion that death is pleasant, desirable and necessary.

Life extension is quite likely to happen at some point in the future. Indefinite life extension will likely follow. This probably won't be in either of our lifetimes, but the present science points that way. It would be good for future generations if they didn't have to cope with death in the same ways that we do. Like, do you disagree with that, fundamentally?

I do.

First, that will never happen. Creating immortality through science will never occur.

Second, death is part of life. Literally everything dies, even the universe itself. Painting death as bad is just turning a natural process into a moral evil, which is arbitrary and unhealthy.

Death is neither good nor bad, it just is. But how we face death can be a good, if we can learn to process it in a healthy way that helps to drive us to do good for others.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

There would still be no such thing as immortality because the universe will die eventually, so really you have just delayed death a while. There is no existence without death.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

We got billions of years to figure that one out.

*cut to night before the universe dies out, and I'm frantically mixing beakers of liquid together*

"Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress I should have started on this so long ago why did I wait so long"

This one made me laugh, thanks

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Some Strange Flea posted:

Disappointing news for Megan, I imagine.

Seems like she has disappeared from social media after the criticism over her earlier edgelord tweets came up. Too bad, her tweets and instagram posts were some of the only good internet content.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

CPColin posted:

Now we'll never know if today was the day Donald Trump finally became President :(

I know, I was really looking forward to the final update (assuming chief dipshit ever vacates the place)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

She made some extremely racist tweets back in 2011-2012, e.g. "It's not politically correct to say "retarded" anymore, you have to call them "Asian-Americans"."

Yeah she apparently started out thinking that racism for edginess sake was funny, I have no idea why she didn’t go back and delete that poo poo once she knew better (I am assuming she learned better because of the large amount of donations she later made to anti-racism organizations later, but who knows for sure).

The whole thing was disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

...overall I dug it (ted danson on earth was a great way to go out, sad they didn't pull a cheers gag)

They did the Cheers gag earlier, when he is the bartender with the towel over the shoulder at Eleanor's birthday.

Seeing him behind the bar was an amazing moment, I think. But Cheers was a staple of my childhood so it may not have the same impact for everyone.