Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Gobbeldygook posted:

That's pretty much what Mormons believe about hell (which they call the "telestial kingdom"): it's a place where you're punished for a while but eventually everyone, even Hitler, goes to a Good Place (but not the Best Place, that's for married Mormons only). Most Hindus also believe in a temporary hell where after you're punished proportionate to your sins then you're allowed to go reincarnate again.

According to my mormon dad, they very much believe in a hell, and that Hitler gets to stay there until the final judgement. The telestial kingdom is more for righteous non-believers and supposedly nicer than the medium place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

swickles posted:

I think the jokes are on par, we are one episode removed from "touche". But, we aren't seeing any flashbacks to their time on earth, and I think that would go a long way to flesh out Simone's character, to maybe see how she could have at least been better rather than bad like Brent and John come across. It was the same thing with Chidi and to a lesser extent Tahani, you just didn't know what they did to end up in the bad place.

I think the problem with Simone is that she was written to be exactly what Chidi needs. They kind of write themselves into a corner without any worse qualities for her, but if I had to try I'd say that she displays extreme arrogance in refusing to believe that she's in the good place, or even just anywhere but inside her own head.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Jeremy Bearimy probably gives them all the time they need to set things up.

In another timeline, it would have been kind of neat for the cockroaches to have come from different eras.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
:yikeseroo:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So my aunt is visiting and I got her into The Good Place. I'm so glad she likes it and I'm loving her theories. We just finished episode 5.

"This is archangel Michael's first job and he's messing it up, so his supervisor has to show up at some point. Isn't his supervisor...God?"

"I wonder if Tahani's sister gets into the good place."

And she loved the Jason reveal so she's wondering if there are other people who don't belong there :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
We got through episode 9 last night and she didn't have much to say about it besides wondering what'll happen with Chidi and Fake Eleanor now that Real Eleanor, Chidi's actual soulmate, is in the picture.

She leaves tomorrow but if the mood strikes her again we ought to be able to finish up season 1 tonight. At least I hope so, because she's going to lose her goddamn mind.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

silvergoose posted:

A *shitton* was plotted from the get go. Season 1 was basically plotted before they started writing at all, the other seasons they started figuring out as soon as it made sense I guess? Schur was pretty focused.

I'd highly recommend the podcast, Shawn's actor does interviews with a bunch of cast but also backstage folks like costume, producers, the composer. It's good stuff.

Absolutely re: the podcast.

I've watched this show through probably two or three times at this point, but going through the first half of S1 was kind of shocking with all of the dialogue breadcrumbs they leave regarding how things will go.

We got through season 1! Auntie was too tired to say much but the Bad Place reveal totally caught her off guard. I'll ask her more tomorrow before she leaves. And then I'll :filez: a USB drive of season 4 to her because I'm pretty sure it's not on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Tahani's motivations were corrupt, same reason Eleanor's little scoring stopwatch did jackshit when she was hanging out holding the door for everybody. She didn't do good deeds; she attempted and failed to impress her folks.

Chidi is a bit tougher since his fatal flaw was a bit more roundabout. But I think you're right on the money when you talk about his uselessness, because even as a professor of moral philosophy, his compunctions led him to behave very amorally. And the Good Place/points system seems to acknowledge good works compounded with good intentions, and Chidi didn't even have a good work. I actually believe S1 Michael when he says that Chidi's 3600 page dissertation was incomprehensible even to him. And if Chidi really had good intentions, would he have ruined his best friend's wedding like that?