Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Much like real life, when you've invested yourself in the idea that the system works, you can easily be blinded to the real injustices it perpetuates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm thinking that with the show's emphasis on contractualism, it's going to end with literally "the real Good Place was the friends we made along the way".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Marbling was never said to be irreversible; the "self-destruct" mode as it was introduced in season 2 was turning Janet into a marble, then either shooting her into space or eating her. Presumably because a marblized Janet left alone could just be restored.

Argue fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 18, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

He didn't want to take it off because he didn't want his friends to see his true cosmic horror form, and the episode was pretty conclusive about it not being Vicky. Have the mods been resetting people's memories in this thread to punish us?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

We should discuss more important things, like figuring out which eight Game of Thrones characters are based on Tahani.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'd hate for our cast to be reincarnated because they've already effectively spent several lifetimes together, even if they don't remember most of it. I could see Michael finally getting to learn what it's like to be human by the end of things though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm pretty sure that all of her stories are meant to be true. We see the occasional confirmation, like when we find out she was the one who set up Drake with Ruth Bader Ginsburg, or when we see that she dated a Hemsworth brother. I think she'd have too much pride to artificially pump up her status.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I feel like I should apologize; I foolishly thought that the GoT question would be a fun diversion from the direction the thread was earlier going in, but instead I may have doomed us all. That's my bad, guys.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oh no they left Glenn in the Bad Place :(

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I thought goo-Glenn was going to help them like the fungus in the Super Mario Bros movie

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Tequila25 posted:

Idle speculation based on a philosopher and philosophical concept that got name dropped during interviews with Schur: Rawls' Veil of Ignorance

Expanded below:
They are going to have to set up a new system, but they can't know where they are going to end up. They could get split up.
Not sure if I should spoil that, but I'll err on the side of caution since it's based on outside info.

I'll do you one better, (speculation based on philosophical spoilers) the new architects of the afterlife will, for the duration of the reinvention of the afterlife, have their memories wiped, so that they don't know which of them are the judge, the good place crew, the bad place crew, a bad mortal, a good mortal, or Mindy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Argue, season 2 TGP thread posted:

I just want some of the Bad Place denizens like Vicki to end up being actual friends with the gang; I figured Michael and Vicki would have had great futures writing and acting in Hollywood.

I was close!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The real Good Place would surely have infinite seasons of all your favorite shows--versions which never jump the shark, so I don't see the problem with living forever.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

No, even in Coco, it was "we don't know where you go" when that happens. It's kind of funny when movies and shows about the afterlife imply the existence of an afterafterlife.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I can't believe goons are still trying to analyze how Jeremy Bearimy works like they're Johnny Fiveaces. It was an obvious joke plot device which was created so that they could do whatever was most narratively appropriate without having to worry about whether it made sense in the timeline. In-universe, it's only fathomable by 17-dimensional beings or whatever, while out-of-universe, it allows the writers to tell the audience "don't think about it", like that scene from Austin Powers 2 where they look directly at the camera and tell you to stop overthinking it. We may not know how long 1000 Bearimys is but obviously the only important takeaway we need is that it's a very very long time. We don't know how long before Tahani's parents arrived, but the important thing is that Kamilah arrived first, and they haven't seen their parents in a long while.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay, here's how Jeremy Bearimy definitively, conclusively works according to scientific principles. Keep in mind though that some concepts are a bit untranslatable from higher being script.

What we see as cursive writing saying "Jeremy Bearimy" is actually a projection into three dimensional space of a 17-dimensional curve that encompasses not only all time but all space. Now, you may be wondering, how did ⟊⟒⎍⌇ ☊⊑⍀⟟⌇⏁ for any ☊⍜⋔⟒ ⍜⋏ ⋔⏃⋏? This is obviously inconsistent with the ⟊⟒⍀⟒⋔⊬ ⏚⟒⏃⍀⟟⋔⊬, which makes it very difficult to reconcile with the ⟒⌰⟒⏃⋏⍜⍀. Of course, the reason that they never meet duplicates of each other whenever timelines cross is because of the Pauli exclusion principle, which surprisingly applies in the afterlife just as much as it does on earth. However, the ☊⊑⟟⎅⟟ doesn't ⏁⏃⊑⏃⋏⟟ on every ⟊⏃⌇⍜⋏ but simply makes a ⋔⟟☊⊑⏃⟒⌰ . Anyway, this is all to say that ⏁⊑⟒ ⌇⟒⍀⟟⟒⌇ ⎎⍜☊⎍⌇⟒⌇ ⍜⋏ ⟒⌰⟒⏃⋏⍜⍀ ⌇⊑⟒⌰⌰⌇⏁⍀⍜⌿ (☍⍀⟟⌇⏁⟒⋏ ⏚⟒⌰⌰), ⍙⊑⍜ ⍙⏃☍⟒⌇ ⎍⌿ ⟟⋏ ⏁⊑⟒ ⏃⎎⏁⟒⍀⌰⟟⎎⟒ ⏃⋏⎅ ⟟⌇ ⟟⋏⏁⍀⍜⎅⎍☊⟒⎅ ⏚⊬ ⋔⟟☊⊑⏃⟒⌰ (⏁⟒⎅ ⎅⏃⋏⌇⍜⋏) ⏁⍜ "⏁⊑⟒ ☌⍜⍜⎅ ⌿⌰⏃☊⟒", ⏃ ⊑⟟☌⊑⌰⊬ ⌇⟒⌰⟒☊⏁⟟⎐⟒ ⊑⟒⏃⎐⟒⋏-⌰⟟☍⟒ ⎍⏁⍜⌿⟟⏃ ⊑⟒ ⎅⟒⌇⟟☌⋏⟒⎅, ⏃⌇ ⏃ ⍀⟒⍙⏃⍀⎅ ⎎⍜⍀ ⊑⟒⍀ ⍀⟟☌⊑⏁⟒⍜⎍⌇ ⌰⟟⎎⟒. ⊑⍜⍙⟒⎐⟒⍀, ⌇⊑⟒ ⍀⟒⏃⌰⟟⋉⟒⌇ ⏁⊑⏃⏁ ⌇⊑⟒ ⍙⏃⌇ ⌇⟒⋏⏁ ⏁⊑⟒⍀⟒ ⏚⊬ ⋔⟟⌇⏁⏃☍⟒ ⏃⋏⎅ ⋔⎍⌇⏁ ⊑⟟⎅⟒ ⊑⟒⍀ Time Knife ⋔⍜⍀⏃⌰⌰⊬ ⟟⋔⌿⟒⍀⎎⟒☊⏁ ⏚⟒⊑⏃⎐⟟⍜⍀ ⍙⊑⟟⌰⟒ ⏁⍀⊬⟟⋏☌ ⏁⍜ ⏚⟒☊⍜⋔⟒ ⏃ ⏚⟒⏁⏁⟒⍀ ⏃⋏⎅ ⋔⍜⍀⟒ ⟒⏁⊑⟟☊⏃⌰ ⌿⟒⍀⌇⍜⋏. ⍙⟟⌰⌰⟟⏃⋔ ⟊⏃☊☍⌇⍜⋏ ⊑⏃⍀⌿⟒⍀, ⟊⏃⋔⟒⟒⌰⏃ ⟊⏃⋔⟟⌰, ⏃⋏⎅ ⋔⏃⋏⋏⊬ ⟊⏃☊⟟⋏⏁⍜ ☊⍜-⌇⏁⏃⍀ ⏃⌇ ⍜⏁⊑⟒⍀ ⍀⟒⌇⟟⎅⟒⋏⏁⌇ ⍜⎎ "⏁⊑⟒ ☌⍜⍜⎅ ⌿⌰⏃☊⟒", ⏁⍜☌⟒⏁⊑⟒⍀ ⍙⟟⏁⊑ ⎅'⏃⍀☊⊬ ☊⏃⍀⎅⟒⋏ ⏃⌇ ⟊⏃⋏⟒⏁:

⚌. ⟟⋔⏃☌⟟⋏⟒
⚍. ⎎⍜⎍⍀ ⏚⏃⌰⌰⌇
⚎. ⍜⋏ ⏁⊑⟒ ⟒⎅☌⟒
⚏. ⍜⎎ ⏃ ☊⌰⟟⎎⎎

There you have it, a complete scientific explanation of how the timeline works, which is thoroughly consistent with what seems, to the human experience, to be illogical time travel rules made up for a TV show.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

ha, so the misdirect in season 1 only seems like a mistake until you hit season 2 and realize he kidnapped her (and then i think s4 flashbacks when you see him initially tricking her in the first days of the building)

since it seems like you dug into the supplemental stuff, how much of the show did they make up as they went vs how much was plotted from the get go?

Michael states at the end of s1 that Janet isn't one of them, during the reveal sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

As it turns out, about 7 billion people who didn't have the same level of damning behavior as Eleanor went to the bad place too!