Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

volts5000 posted:

I may have missed it, but what was the tell that suggested the Michaels were switched?

They mentioned that they had a Michael suit both in the mini episodes about their plan for the Good Place and the "previously..." footage at the start of the episode. Then we saw that the Bad Place was willing to mess with the experiment by sending in people in disguise, shortly before Michael stepped out of camera onto an inter-dimensional train from the Bad Place. They clearly want us to think that Michael has been swapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Staggy posted:

Just as an FYI to anyone who wanted to watch The Selection but couldn't due to region blocks: NBC has put all six episodes up on YouTube.

Confirmed, they work in Australia which is interesting considering even trailers put up by US networks usually get blocked.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bobulus posted:

- This next episode will be mostly about snapping Simone out of her delusion. Thinking further on this, so far they've tried to keep her isolated from the others, but maybe what will do the trick is forcing her to interact with them. I mean, she thinks all this is her brain doing great stuff for her and/or malfunctioning. Eleanor can't be mean to her without her realizing this isn't the Good Place in the long-run. But if she's forced to put up with two incredibly shallow and self-centered people? Why would her brain conjure them?
- This might actually be what helps Brent figure out that he shouldn't just keep doing what he's doing, too? I mean, if Simone gets so annoyed that she kicks his rear end, maybe it'll finally get through his thick skull? Probably not, but I can dare to dream.

I don't think they will persuade Simone that it's not real. Rather I expect Chidi to make an argument that persuades her it doesn't matter if it's real or not so she may as well treat it as if it is.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, if Eleanor is screwing things up the best thing the Bad Place could do would be to completely support her.

I don't get why they didn't pull the same trick from the start with that rear end in a top hat and make it super obvious that he was being confused with someone else who had lived a better life. Repeating the experiment would yield meaningful results only if it's replicated as closely as possible anyway.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

pwn posted:

It immediately reminded me of a classic Al Jaffee piece from the January 1963 issue of MAD.

Copyright Elon Musk age 5.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gotta think the judge will probably notice them blowing up parts of the region between Places.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

YaketySass posted:

It's not doing the thing fans loved where the show went through one season worth of plot turns in one episode, presumably because the writing is focused on building up to the finale.

The first season was a similar pace to this.

I'm enjoying it, but I think the problem is there are just too many characters to keep track of now, which means we can't properly explore them all in the way the earlier seasons did.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

silvergoose posted:

"a superior officer ordered nuclear Armageddon and a single level head disobeying orders prevented it" is the real kicker, of course.

Disobeying orders is negative points, presumably.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I am curious to know when Simone died, and how much of her memory was wiped.

Was she much older and is just appearing at her younger age, or did she die not long after we lost saw her, and has essentially lost the memory of the last year of her life?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vietnamwees posted:

Look, either we refer to her as "Uber Janet" or you can GTFO.

We've had good Janet, Bad Janet, Neutral Janet. It would be interesting to see them end up with a Janet who has developed so far (or is a mix of the Good and Bad) that she doesn't have any label.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm just surprised there aren't more Janets throughout the afterlife if that is indeed meant to be all of them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The judge locked off the portals with one of those old car steering wheel locks after she closed them to stop Janet reopening them and letting more in.

JanetLock.

I somehow missed that, thanks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Argue posted:

I'll do you one better, (speculation based on philosophical spoilers) the new architects of the afterlife will, for the duration of the reinvention of the afterlife, have their memories wiped, so that they don't know which of them are the judge, the good place crew, the bad place crew, a bad mortal, a good mortal, or Mindy.

They did that in the Doctor Who 50th special and it was an interesting solution.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Normy posted:

I wonder how a Bad Janet tries to prevent a reboot. Must be a full on attack. Begging would never be effective.

Insisting to the Bad Place target that she really wants them to push the button and that they won't regret it in any way.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah the show has gone out of it's way to not show any other humans in the afterlife but the original 4 and the 3 from the next batch.

And Mindy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The plot advancement to greatness ratio of that episode was off the chart. So good.

Fun fact, in the scene where Chidi gets handed a beer I was drinking the same Australian beer and did a double take.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

More frames per second means a shorter exposure per frame, so for a given illumination level, a clip recorded at a higher frame rate will appear darker.

The SlowMoGuys channel on Youtube is great for seeing this. At the extreme framerates they will be recording something at daytime and the background still looks as dark as night.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Did you see the one where they went to that science place, and they were able to film the actual speed of light? (Or was that a different slow-mo channel?)

I wish there was a cheap camera that was affordable enough for me to play around with.

Can't remember what channel but did see it and crazy poo poo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Something that I have wondered about the Soul Squad. While it's implied, has it ever actually been confirmed that the fake Good Place neighborhood was their first experience waking up in the afterlife or could some of them have had real Bad Place experiences beforehand that have been erased?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Edmund Lava posted:

Wouldn’t they remember that when Michael restored their memories?

Seems like the type of thing he would think they are better off not knowing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

I think that the way it worked was Michael was given a pack of new humans for his first role as an architect, so he was designing the first time they would be tortured.

That's kinda how it seems, but then it's also suggested that they were picked because they seemed perfect to torture each other.

Suppose there's a bunch of stuff we don't know about this universe if indeed the writers have ever decided them. Like what Bad Place architects actually do, are there little Bad Place neighbourhoods?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

I feel like something has to come out of the good place committee. They've been so useless for so long that having all these new people has to create a kink in the system.

The rushed nature of the last episode means there are a lot of things we didn't really get to see. Like apparently half the architects there before they got in the balloon were Good Place architects, would love to have met one.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tunzie posted:

No, Janet at least made it.

Yeah I was initially worried she wasn't going to get to go, then remembered that out of all of them she is the only one actually originally intended to go to the Good Place.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I interpreted the ending as being something akin to the story The Egg. Backed up by the wave analogy and Chidi's explanation, the door wasn't an ending of your existence, but a move onto the next form. That next form might well have no continuity of consciousness with your current one, but that's ok.

Everyone's existence is the universe getting to know itself. Some have mentioned that there are still some things they haven't experienced, but that's ok. If everyone experienced all the possible things in all the possible ways then they would have all had the same experiences and lose individuality anyway.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Taear posted:

I understand that it's a way to quantify time passing for them, but as I said - how do people enter the afterlife linearly if that's how time works?
It IS a sci-fi show with a pretty neat sci fi story. That's how I see it and that's how I interpret it.

The entire story is "the afterlife is hosed because nobody has entered the good part of it since the 1450s" but the afterlife hasn't got time so it should mean people who died in 1310 are still coming to the good place right "now". Or right beremy.

The entire way it is explained in the show and on the podcast is that the passage of time in the afterlife and especially it's relationship to time on Earth simply doesn't make sense to us. It's not meant to, the show doesn't try to have it make sense, madness lies in trying to make it do so.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Arist is right. It's like obsessing over scientific accuracy in Doctor Who. It is not what that show is about or cares about and if you're focusing on that, you are not actually watching the show they made.

Yeah, if you really want a SciFi technobabble style explanation then work one out that you like yourself that fits what was shown and just make that your head canon, you can even fit it in from Michael's explanation in the first episode that all the religions got a little bit right.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wonder what the characters learned about the greater meanings of the universe.

We know that Gen appeared early on, but it was conspicuous that none of the characters in the show ever discussed or asked about great questions apart from the explanation in the very first episode.

It was definitely avoided intentionally, because the point of the show was about the characters growth, not what should be the one true religion. Even so it's impossible that in all their time they didn't ask about questions like where the Universe came from, if there is a God above it all and so on. That said I've been thinking about it and haven't been able to think of a way they could have brought it up without breaking the show, the closest I can imagine is something like the Simpsons "The meaning of life is..." ending and even that would have been cheesy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

christmas boots posted:

BSG would have been massively improved if it ended with someone saying take it sleazy

Petition for a 1:1 remake of nuBSG except with Ted Danson playing Baltar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

silvergoose posted:

okay you've got to keep posting reactions

Not empty quoting.