Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mike was such a great character, I'm glad we got another Mike/Jesse scene. I love BCS and his interactions with Lydia, Saul, his family etc. but it's not quite the same as seeing him genuinely care for Jesse. Those moments were always so good and well-developed.

You can tell he gradually understood and liked Jesse a lot more as the series progressed in a way that made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I only ever really enjoyed Mike with Walt tbh (havent seen the scenes where he's complaining about Lydia in BCS but it sounds promising). Someone who's decided he's a bad person dealing with someone so much worse was such a good dynamic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The moral of breaking bad is to always say where you are going. Jesse said he'd go to Alaska, and he did. Saul said he'd end up in Nebraska, and he did. Mike never said where he was going, and he died. Walt never said where he was going and he died.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
The Walt flashback showed Jesse legitimately caring for him (eat food drink water your family will get money) more clearly than I remember seeing it in the series, thus explaining a bit more why he stuck with Walt long enough to get in too deep.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Maytag posted:

The Walt flashback showed Jesse legitimately caring for him (eat food drink water your family will get money) more clearly than I remember seeing it in the series, thus explaining a bit more why he stuck with Walt long enough to get in too deep.

I think the flashback's supposed to take place after season two's "4 Days Out," where they're stuck in the desert in the RV, which was when Jesse learned that Walt had cancer. That was a rare, brief window of time where Jesse actually cared about Walt and before he'd hosed over Jesse too much. 4 Days Out is also one of my favorite episodes

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 18, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

yeah its in the time post tuco and pre gus.

Its interesting that the two bookends; scene with Mike and then at the end scene with walt, are inversely positioned chronologically.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I think the flashback's supposed to take place after season two's "4 Days Out," where they're stuck in the desert in the RV, which was when Jesse learned that Walt had cancer. That was a rare, brief window of time where Jesse actually cared about Walt and before he'd hosed over Jesse too much. 4 Days Out is also one of my favorite episodes

I was gonna make a post similar to this one, but apparently Jesse learns Walt has cancer earlier in "Crazy Handful of Nothin'". BUT he does think that Walt's condition is actively getting worse in "4 Days Out" because he's coughing up blood and Walt is ranting about how he deserves everything bad that's happening to him for the lies he's told his family. So you're still correct about it being probably the height of Jesse's empathy towards Walt.

That moment we see in the diner is also probably the last moment where Walt has a chance to truly put the brakes on everything. They have more than $1 million of meth in the RV to split between them, he could have let Jesse handle the business side of it from there and stepped away to focus on spending time with his family. It's weird, the scene seemed almost gratuitous while watching El Camino, like they just wanted to have a Walt cameo. But the more I think about it, the more that scene really is a pivotal moment in their relationship.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Exactly. Jesse is all excited and optimistic and caring. Things could have gone so much differently for him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's crazy how often Walt gets enough money to let his family live comfortably but then just goes and fucks it all up again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I was gonna make a post similar to this one, but apparently Jesse learns Walt has cancer earlier in "Crazy Handful of Nothin'". BUT he does think that Walt's condition is actively getting worse in "4 Days Out" because he's coughing up blood and Walt is ranting about how he deserves everything bad that's happening to him for the lies he's told his family. So you're still correct about it being probably the height of Jesse's empathy towards Walt.

That moment we see in the diner is also probably the last moment where Walt has a chance to truly put the brakes on everything. They have more than $1 million of meth in the RV to split between them, he could have let Jesse handle the business side of it from there and stepped away to focus on spending time with his family. It's weird, the scene seemed almost gratuitous while watching El Camino, like they just wanted to have a Walt cameo. But the more I think about it, the more that scene really is a pivotal moment in their relationship.

Ohhh right, yes, Jesse did learn about it sooner from the dots on Walt’s chest. It was during a cook too, which musta confused me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Ohhh right, yes, Jesse did learn about it sooner from the dots on Walt’s chest. It was during a cook too, which musta confused me.

I was convinced that it was in "4 Days Out" also until I looked it up on the Breaking Bad Wiki for confirmation. Shout out to all the nerds who have written up extensive summaries of every scene in every episode.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

My favourite part of the Walt flashback was the deadpan "it's like I'm with Sinatra." I remember rewatching a handful of early episodes years ago (before the show wrapped I think) and had forgotten how flat-out funny the first two seasons are in a ludicrous black comedy sort of way. Before it descends into a yawning pit of dark, evil misery in the last few seasons. It always still has its comedic moments, but even the gore and horror of the early seasons was played off in a sort of wacky way which eventually disappears.

Which sort of chimes into what Walt is saying to Jesse in that scene, about how he didn't have to wait his whole life to do something amazing. Things haven't gotten so bad yet, it still feels more like an adventure than a nightmare.

Last Chance posted:

It's also because Jesse nursed his aunt, who he had a better relationship with than his parents, through cancer. It was even lung cancer, I think.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Rewatching Dead Freight, and I'm pretty sure they recast the spider for El Camino. Bet the original spider was hard to work with on set. Maybe several of its eyes kept looking at the camera and ruining the scenes.

(For the record, I don't actually know if they're different spiders. Just the one in Dead Freight looks bigger than I remember the one in El Camino being.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
While normally I would say "it's an animal, it probably died." Apparently tarantulas can live for 10-20 years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cojawfee posted:

While normally I would say "it's an animal, it probably died." Apparently tarantulas can live for 10-20 years.

A modern tragedy for sure.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A modern tragedy for sure.

Seriously. I hate spiders.

Also, I wasn't criticizing anything or whatever. Just an observation paired with a joke.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I was convinced that it was in "4 Days Out" also until I looked it up on the Breaking Bad Wiki for confirmation. Shout out to all the nerds who have written up extensive summaries of every scene in every episode.

cheers to the nerds who dissect this show

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

It always still has its comedic moments, but even the gore and horror of the early seasons was played off in a sort of wacky way which eventually disappears.

It is sometimes jarring to remember that BB is the show that from season 3 on made every death feel weighty and important, while the first 2 seasons had bathtub goop and cholos getting stuffed under cars in junkyards for Hank to take selfies with. With which for Hank to take selfies.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I dunno right from the start Krazy 8's death was pretty weighty and serious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

It is sometimes jarring to remember that BB is the show that from season 3 on made every death feel weighty and important, while the first 2 seasons had bathtub goop and cholos getting stuffed under cars in junkyards for Hank to take selfies with. With which for Hank to take selfies.

This is totally an aside, but there is actually no problem with ending a sentence with a preposition. :eng101:

Take it from John Mcwhorter, who hosts the podcast, Lexicon Valley.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One good thing about this movie is that it should stop all the theories that Jesse is going to show up at the end of better call Saul.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

freebooter posted:

My favourite part of the Walt flashback was the deadpan "it's like I'm with Sinatra." I remember rewatching a handful of early episodes years ago (before the show wrapped I think) and had forgotten how flat-out funny the first two seasons are in a ludicrous black comedy sort of way. Before it descends into a yawning pit of dark, evil misery in the last few seasons. It always still has its comedic moments, but even the gore and horror of the early seasons was played off in a sort of wacky way which eventually disappears.

It's funny similar to how Sopranos had some similar hilarious black humor and breaking balls to go with the overall bleak atmosphere of the show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cojawfee posted:

One good thing about this movie is that it should stop all the theories that Jesse is going to show up at the end of better call Saul.

im working on a lore theory that nebraska and alaska are literally the same place

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

As amazing a stretch of television 3-5B were there was something special about season 1 and 2 that was lost, a certain down to earth charm(well up until the plane crash), or maybe it was replacing the RV with the static set of the superlab.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 20, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

lurker2006 posted:

As amazing a stretch of television 3-5B were there was something special about season 1 and 2 that was lost, a certain down to earth charm(well up until the plane crash), or maybe it was replacing the RV with the static set of the superlab.

Walt’s speech about why he isn’t getting treatment during the intervention episode is one of my favorite monologues in television. S1 and S2 definitely weren’t as good but they were still amazing.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
This felt like it was a mandate from AMC/Sony/whoever in exchange for letting Gilligan finish Better Call Saul. What a waste of time.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

It's crazy how often Walt gets enough money to let his family live comfortably but then just goes and fucks it all up again.
I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really.. I was alive.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This felt like it was a mandate from AMC/Sony/whoever in exchange for letting Gilligan finish Better Call Saul. What a waste of time.

It feels like his facebook page got too many 'did jessie graduate highschool/did he make it to alaska/what happened to the spider" post and they needed to make an FAQ of commonly asked minor questions in movie form.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I initially read this wrong and thought you were saying BCS was a waste of time. Boys oh boys, I was all set to... y'know... type out here that you.... you were wrong, so.... fair warning!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I initially read this wrong and thought you were saying BCS was a waste of time. Boys oh boys, I was all set to... y'know... type out here that you.... you were wrong, so.... fair warning!

that post is still pretty wrong though

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

No, it was a, "Hey there's a lot of money here" and Vince and Paul are like, "Okay we like money!"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mike robbed us of a Jesse goes to college follow-up comedy series. dang

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

No, it was a, "Hey there's a lot of money here" and Vince and Paul are like, "Okay we like money!"

That's not that different from what I said

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

that post is still pretty wrong though

Yes, but there's a scale, and the post is actually way less wrong than what I had thought it initially was.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

This is totally an aside, but there is actually no problem with ending a sentence with a preposition. :eng101:

Take it from John Mcwhorter, who hosts the podcast, Lexicon Valley.

I'll take my grammar advice from from a true, verified source of worldly wisdom thankyouverymuch

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

A quick perusal of the Wikipedia page shows that this was something Gilligan was keen on doing for ages - and he shopped it to Netflix, not the other way round. I don't know why people are so keen to believe that it must have been purely financially motivated.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also based on the Breaking Bad finale Vince Gilligan isn’t one for allowing basically any ambiguity in an ending so it’s not surprising to me that he felt the need to continue providing answers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rewatching BB I had forgotten how much weight Huell’s actor lost by BCS. Maybe he can give Todd some training and diet advice.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Breaking Bad was really great and special but I have to say that Vince Gilligan hasn't done much... Aside from work within that specific narrative universe, adhering very specifically to a sort of... formula that has worked extremely well for him.

I'm not saying it's unoriginal. It's just that both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are unambiguously "of a piece". BCS feels like a stylistic and thematic continuation of BB, albeit with a reshuffling/recasting of heroes, antiheroes, villains, anti-villains, and so on - which keeping a few things very consistent. Visual style struck me as being just a little bit too similar, but then I still need to catch up on season 3 of BCS. I just remember watching season 1 and feeling... both a little disappointed and a little relieved that the Albuquerque of BCS was more or less identical to the one in BB, albeit the sun was a little brighter and there was more use of bright primary colors... Anyway...

El Camino has actually grown on me quite a bit more since I first saw it, in part because I went back and just... re-familiarized myself with who Jesse really was on that show. What his emotional situation really and truly was, leading up to his imprisonment. It's pretty shocking to realize just how rapidly and effectively Walter was able to manipulate him and squeeze out every last drop of spirit that he had.

Anyway, re-watching things, it's so clear that Jesse was still able to be saved from Walt all the way up to the final of Season 3, when he murders Gale. Frankly, that's what Jesse never totally recovers from, in my estimation - not even by the end of El Camino. It's not a coincidence that he forms his last real human relationships we ever see him have with others right before he kills Gale - Andrea and Brock. He doesn't form a single new relationship after that.

It's also in the latter part of Season 3 where he gives Walt that amazing "I have NEVER been so alone! I have NOTHING!" speech. I really think that might be my favorite scene between Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston, definitely my favorite Aaron Paul scene. He just NAILS that moment so hard, I think it's in the hospital after Hank assaults Jesse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

kaworu posted:

Breaking Bad was really great and special but I have to say that Vince Gilligan hasn't done much... Aside from work within that specific narrative universe, adhering very specifically to a sort of... formula that has worked extremely well for him.

He only wrote a lot of the better episodes of The X Files over a 7 year period. This is kind of a weird take. Of course his other output is limited when 18ish seasons of his time has been taken up by 3 shows (The X-Files, Breaking Bad, and Better Call Saul).

The Lone Gunmen was a flop ,yeah I'll give you that.

edit: and yeah there's nothing like Chuck McGill on Breaking Bad. Whether it's him being a stodgy lawyer or freaking out with his dumb fake disease.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 24, 2019