Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

kaworu posted:

Breaking Bad was really great and special but I have to say that Vince Gilligan hasn't done much... Aside from work within that specific narrative universe, adhering very specifically to a sort of... formula that has worked extremely well for him.

I'm not saying it's unoriginal. It's just that both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are unambiguously "of a piece". BCS feels like a stylistic and thematic continuation of BB, albeit with a reshuffling/recasting of heroes, antiheroes, villains, anti-villains, and so on - which keeping a few things very consistent. Visual style struck me as being just a little bit too similar, but then I still need to catch up on season 3 of BCS. I just remember watching season 1 and feeling... both a little disappointed and a little relieved that the Albuquerque of BCS was more or less identical to the one in BB, albeit the sun was a little brighter and there was more use of bright primary colors... Anyway...

El Camino has actually grown on me quite a bit more since I first saw it, in part because I went back and just... re-familiarized myself with who Jesse really was on that show. What his emotional situation really and truly was, leading up to his imprisonment. It's pretty shocking to realize just how rapidly and effectively Walter was able to manipulate him and squeeze out every last drop of spirit that he had.

Anyway, re-watching things, it's so clear that Jesse was still able to be saved from Walt all the way up to the final of Season 3, when he murders Gale. Frankly, that's what Jesse never totally recovers from, in my estimation - not even by the end of El Camino. It's not a coincidence that he forms his last real human relationships we ever see him have with others right before he kills Gale - Andrea and Brock. He doesn't form a single new relationship after that.

It's also in the latter part of Season 3 where he gives Walt that amazing "I have NEVER been so alone! I have NOTHING!" speech. I really think that might be my favorite scene between Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston, definitely my favorite Aaron Paul scene. He just NAILS that moment so hard, I think it's in the hospital after Hank assaults Jesse.
Better Call Saul has some visual similarities to Breaking Bad, but it seems crazy to say they follow the same formula. Both shows are great in very different ways. Is there really anything from Breaking Bad remotely approximating Chuck McGill's character arc?

Man I really shouldn't be talking about this. It just reminds me how much I'm waiting for Better Call Saul to air again. The next season can't come sooner.

e: page snipe, added quote

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does it have a release date yet?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does it have a release date yet?

Not yet, no. It's very likely that it'll be around Feb 2020, though. Should be a trailer soon, I'm hoping.

And while I get that the tone and writing of BCS is different than BB, those two shows definitely share almost all of the production DNA, which makes sense. BCS and BB 'feel' like they're a part of the same universe, and to me that's a great thing. The whole team, give or take a few members, in front of and behind the camera are all still there, putting out the same high-quality stuff, in the same way. Any given scene and the way it's shot and edited from one show could be easily put into the other show, at least in terms of style (obviously you'd have to change out the actual characters).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
That final scene in Chuck's house towards the end of season 1...man that was some good loving TV.

All of BCS is some good loving TV.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
BCS is very good, and much moreso than BB it creates extreme tension out of subtle nuances in interactions between characters. It's also packed to the brim with great cinematography and slow, deliberate scenes where not a whole lot happens but it's still interesting and you're on the edge of your seat. My one big complaint about BCS is that it was originally very much it's own thing but has morphed more and more into the Breaking Bad Fanservice Hour. Mike and Jimmy (Saul) get equal parts airtime, with some leftover for the Salamoncas. Even after four seasons, their storylines are barely tied together at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The slowness of BCS sucks when you're watching it as it airs because, not only do you have to wait a week or even months for the next installment, you have no idea if it will keep going. I'm constantly worried that AMC will decide they don't want to do it anymore before the story is finished. So I enjoy the slow burn but I'm also thinking "you might want to hurry this along before the show gets cancelled and there's no conclusion". Once they finish this story and it ends on its own, I'll be able to watch it again and just enjoy it knowing that it doesn't just cut off.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

The slowness of BCS sucks when you're watching it as it airs because, not only do you have to wait a week or even months for the next installment, you have no idea if it will keep going. I'm constantly worried that AMC will decide they don't want to do it anymore before the story is finished. So I enjoy the slow burn but I'm also thinking "you might want to hurry this along before the show gets cancelled and there's no conclusion". Once they finish this story and it ends on its own, I'll be able to watch it again and just enjoy it knowing that it doesn't just cut off.

Yeah that's another thing - BCS is very much a show that works better as a binge watch. When you watch the episodes week to week, it feels like not enough happens in each episode and that they're wasting lots of time. When you binge the episodes, it does not feel this way.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

When you binge the episodes, it does not feel this way.

YMMV on that one. Like, the subplot where Jimmy gets hired by a law firm and he doesn't like it should have taken a single episode, but in BCS it takes like four. It would be like in Breaking Bad if Walt had accepted the job at Grey Matter and spent three episodes there before realizing it was a make work job to get him insurance.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pospysyl posted:

YMMV on that one. Like, the subplot where Jimmy gets hired by a law firm and he doesn't like it should have taken a single episode, but in BCS it takes like four. It would be like in Breaking Bad if Walt had accepted the job at Grey Matter and spent three episodes there before realizing it was a make work job to get him insurance.

They openly talked about hitting the brakes after season 1 and basically retconning the season 1 finale because they wanted to take more time getting to where they were going, and the slowness of the plot you mentioned is basically the prime example of how they overcorrected imo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

They announced the season 5 renewal before season 4 aired, so there was that. It was after seasons 2 and 3 that things were up in the air a bit.

I am dreading whether this is the last season though. I don't want the show to go on for 12 seasons but I think it's got at least two more in it. I'd love to see at least one season where he's full on the guy from Breaking Bad (and you see behind the scenes as well into his real life), and I'd like to see an arc of a few episodes with whatever happens to him once his cover is blown at his stupid cover job in a loving mall in a major city.

edit: also, https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckChuck/

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 25, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I hope they end it before Mike's using a walker to get around. If we don't get to some of the later stuff, it's either because they spent too long getting there or because they had no interest in showing it--you shouldn't need more than 5 seasons to do a prequel for Breaking Bad, a show which itself had 5 seasons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I would like to know some of what was going on in Saul’s mind in BB. Especially since BB itself isn’t quite sure what kind of man he is (or Saul himself isn’t it you want to read it that way)- he kind of flip flops between shameless murder-endorser and guy in way over his head.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 25, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sinteres posted:

I hope they end it before Mike's using a walker to get around. If we don't get to some of the later stuff, it's either because they spent too long getting there or because they had no interest in showing it--you shouldn't need more than 5 seasons to do a prequel for Breaking Bad, a show which itself had 5 seasons.

The show is its own thing, it shouldn't be tied to BB as for when it ends. Anyway, it will need six seasons to get to about the number of episodes BB had.

I think six is the right number. I can't buy everything being wrapped up next season.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

The show is its own thing, it shouldn't be tied to BB as for when it ends. Anyway, it will need six seasons to get to about the number of episodes BB had.

I think six is the right number. I can't buy everything being wrapped up next season.

I wish it did feel more like its own thing. Like someone else said, Jimmy and Mike feel like they're on two different shows most of the time, and while I've enjoyed Saul Goodman: the Early Years for the most part (aside from thinking they slowed it down too much after the first season), I'm less interested in 'Mike introduces us to this thing we saw in Breaking Bad.' It's not even so much that I hate the idea of a sixth season from where we are today as that I think after season 1 they could have made the show in a way where we get to the finish point sooner instead of milking it. I can't help thinking dollar signs had as much to do with slowing things down as any artistic decision did, though I should say that while I think that might have made the show slightly less my thing, I don't blame anyone involved for wanting to get paid, and I still think there have been great stretches along the way.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sinteres posted:

That's not really accurate though. As BB had more episodes per season than BCS. BB ran for 62 episodes. Where BCS has only had 10 episode seasons and could easily go to season 6 and still be shorter than BB and be just fine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cojawfee posted:

If AMC decided to drop BCS then there's a 100% probability that Netflix would finish it (assuming there wasn't a rights issue, which I doubt since they were able to make this). Outside of the US Netflix has been the main distributor for everything in that universe and has aired every episode simultaneously with AMC since season 4 of Breaking Bad. They'd be all over it.

This was a good movie. I'm in the middle of rewatching the series so the ages of the cast really stood out. It's kind of hilarious to think this takes place about two years after Breaking Bad started. Skinny Pete is practically geriatric (I knot he was already a lot older that Jesse and Badger to begin with but it looks like he hit the meth hard in the days following Felina) and Badger looks like a grown-rear end man. Bryan Cranston is definitely getting too old to play Walt. He looked and sounded a lot frailer than he did at that point in the show - and that was pretty much his lowest point cancer-wise. I'd be quite happy for him not to make that long-awaited appearance in Better Call Saul.

It was definitely made by the BCS-era Gilligan, who prefers taking his time luxuriating on every detail and being self-indulgent to ultra-tight plotting. But the guy's earned that and it was still a pretty great watch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just saying that you think Netflix would pick something up doesn't mean it would happen. Netflix was the global distributor for The Expanse, and they passed on picking that up. There are plenty of shows that people like that they were sure Netflix would be stupid to pass on and then Netflix passed on them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
AMC isn't going to dump one of their flagship franchises and their only current source of critical adoration

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Cojawfee posted:

Just saying that you think Netflix would pick something up doesn't mean it would happen. Netflix was the global distributor for The Expanse, and they passed on picking that up. There are plenty of shows that people like that they were sure Netflix would be stupid to pass on and then Netflix passed on them.

Not sure if that's the best example; Amazon has it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

Not sure if that's the best example; Amazon has it.

It's a great example. Syfy didn't want to make it anymore. Alcon went to Netflix, Netflix said no and it was cancelled. They had also gone to Amazon who also said no. After a fan campaign to save it, Amazon changed their mind and picked it up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

If AMC decided to drop BCS then there's a 100% probability that Netflix would finish it (assuming there wasn't a rights issue, which I doubt since they were able to make this). Outside of the US Netflix has been the main distributor for everything in that universe and has aired every episode simultaneously with AMC since season 4 of Breaking Bad. They'd be all over it.

This was a good movie. I'm in the middle of rewatching the series so the ages of the cast really stood out. It's kind of hilarious to think this takes place about two years after Breaking Bad started. Skinny Pete is practically geriatric (I knot he was already a lot older that Jesse and Badger to begin with but it looks like he hit the meth hard in the days following Felina) and Badger looks like a grown-rear end man. Bryan Cranston is definitely getting too old to play Walt. He looked and sounded a lot frailer than he did at that point in the show - and that was pretty much his lowest point cancer-wise. I'd be quite happy for him not to make that long-awaited appearance in Better Call Saul.

It was definitely made by the BCS-era Gilligan, who prefers taking his time luxuriating on every detail and being self-indulgent to ultra-tight plotting. But the guy's earned that and it was still a pretty great watch.

the actors have definitely aged but i don't think six years is enough to turn them all into completely different people. you can easily look past that. but i had trouble with Cranston's bald cap. i think it would have been a lot better if he'd shaved his head.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

the actors have definitely aged but i don't think six years is enough to turn them all into completely different people. you can easily look past that. but i had trouble with Cranston's bald cap. i think it would have been a lot better if he'd shaved his head.

I'm sure the other show he's on would appreciate him shaving his head to play a role in one scene. Though it could lead to a weird scene like in Doctor Who where both actors in the scene had shaved their heads for other roles and had to have wigs styled like their real hair to play their characters.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure the other show he's on would appreciate him shaving his head to play a role in one scene. Though it could lead to a weird scene like in Doctor Who where both actors in the scene had shaved their heads for other roles and had to have wigs styled like their real hair to play their characters.

Yeah, I mean I get it, he's in another show, it's not doable. But I still think it would have looked better without the bald cap.

Steve2911 posted:

He looked and sounded a lot frailer than he did at that point in the show - and that was pretty much his lowest point cancer-wise.

thought about this for a bit and ACTUALLY, shortly after "4 Days Out" (roughly where the new Walt scene in El Camino takes place), Walt is shown to be in remission and doing very well. Walt's lowest point with cancer was in Granite State / Felina where it's shown that he's become so thin that his wedding ring falls off.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What show's Cranston on? I thought he'd moved on to film and theatre work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Something called Your Honor. IMDB lists it as 2019, but it doesn't look like it has even started production yet. So maybe he just didn't want to shave his head for no reason.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’m not sure when they filmed this but Cranston was also in Network on broadway through June of this year.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I meant broadway show, not TV show but was tired and slightly buzzed!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The age of the actors thing I find very easy to get over. Sure it's a shame I guess, but it's better than CGI de-aging them, which always looks awful, and way better than not making the show/this movie at all!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Just watched it the other day, not bad. A little fanservice-y but not excessively. I don't really have anything to add that the thread hasn't said better.

I thought it was better than the Deadwood movie, in any case.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

hailthefish posted:

Just watched it the other day, not bad. A little fanservice-y but not excessively. I don't really have anything to add that the thread hasn't said better.

I thought it was better than the Deadwood movie, in any case.

I thought it was excessive but I still enjoyed it. I thought it was basically Fan Service: The Movie.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The age of the actors thing I find very easy to get over. Sure it's a shame I guess, but it's better than CGI de-aging them, which always looks awful, and way better than not making the show/this movie at all!

I think it only hurt when the characters mention it. Like when Mike talks about what a young, rich man Jesse is.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GigaPeon posted:

I think it only hurt when the characters mention it. Like when Mike talks about what a young, rich man Jesse is.

Yeah that was the only time it was really noticeable to me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't want to alarm you all but we also got older too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

Huell is aging pretty well

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

lol exactly, I mean I get these characters look older but time is linear? I don’t know what people expect here? A time skip?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stairmaster posted:

The difference is I'm not supposed to be the same age I was 10 years ago.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

They should have fired everyone for aging and recast it. They should know the audience’s expectations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean would it really have been that hard to just film the entire series start to finish in the spawn of like a few months just so that all the actors would appear the same age for the next decade? Come on now, I'm not even a TV director and I could've put that together.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ironic shitposts aside, I think the main argument is that the characters should probably hold off on mentioning age related stuff in the show, since all it does is draw attention to the actual aging of the actors. Just don't mention it and it'll go over better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ironic shitposts aside, I think the main argument is that the characters should probably hold off on mentioning age related stuff in the show, since all it does is draw attention to the actual aging of the actors. Just don't mention it and it'll go over better.

I think I prefer them just writing the characters as-is and not really thinking about the actors looking slightly older because it doesn’t really matter at all