Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Yea I liked it. It was pretty tense throughout. A nice little end-cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I liked it; enjoyed the closure. Couldn't identify that Scott MacArthur was in this until the flashback which returned him to his "Jimmy" look from The Mick, and thought that moment with him and Jesse near the end was great. Overall it had a little bit of everything going for it, suspense, action. Good series finale. Looking forward to the next Breaking Bad Movie starring post-BCS Saul probably Gus Fring's formative years, I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man that one overhead shot of Todd’s place was absolutely gorgeous. I can’t get it out of my head

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
"Pepperoni".
:negative:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man I'm not going to be able to watch this for at least a few days. It's gonna be painful.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Uneccessary and self indulgent. Attempts to capture a moment that is well past, both try-hard and lacking flair. It reeks like many Netflix adventures of this nature as cheapening what's already there, like deleted scenes added back in that you think you want until you realize how much it breaks the spell of what already existed.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

Uneccessary and self indulgent. Attempts to capture a moment that is well past, both try-hard and lacking flair. It reeks like many Netflix adventures of this nature as cheapening what's already there, like deleted scenes added back in that you think you want until you realize how much it breaks the spell of what already existed.

Show me on the doll where Netflix touched you.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

atomicpile posted:

It's more intriguing and satisfying to conclude on what Jesse might have done. 🤷‍♂️ The arc was resolved and the future was left ambiguous in the original series. Breaking Bad was a methodically paced show that took high stakes drama into mundane settings, channelled by some very raw performances. This is none of that. This is the extra hour in Apocalypse Now Redux (Netflix would've loved to have that an exclusive)

Caros
May 14, 2008

atomicpile posted:

I certainly wouldn't go that far, but to me it felt unnecessary. A story that tells us the logistics of how Jesse ends up where the narrative from Breaking Bad already told us he'd end up. Except he kills a couple of people in the process. Interesting, I guess, but apart from the closure with his friends at the start, I don't feel it really did anything that I didn't already know internally, so to speak.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I really liked it. Thought the flashbacks were used well, Aaron Paul gave a great performance as usual, and it was great to see so many familiar faces here and there. Had some fun swerves in there I didn't expect too, like I was way off with what I thought the digging in the desert from the trailer was all about.

While in my heart there's always a desire for more stuff from the Breaking Bad universe since I loved the show so much, I think with this movie and 1 or 2 more seasons of BCS (I'd certainly love two more seasons there but I have a strong gut feeling the next season will be the last one) we'll be good to tie that fine IP in a bow and leave it be.

Given how much I liked the flashbacks in the movie, now I'm really jazzed to hopefully see some surgical strikes of Walt, Jesse and Hank in BCS somewhere and some resolution to Saul's story after he's been hidden away as Gene, something that gives more of a sense of completion to him than basically living in hiding as more of a Sadsack than Walt was in the pilot.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

"Unnecessary but very good" my first impression, but having thought about it a little bit more it gives Jesse the same sense of closure that Walter got in "Felina", which feels appropriate given that they were the two main characters.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
fuckin Ricky Hitler, he's such a psychopath lol

"Come on. Look at that view."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Tumble posted:

Yeah he's kind of the secret weapon of character building in the movie, really padded out that character nicely.

My fave little touch was him lighting two cigarettes by putting both in his mouth and then giving one to Jesse.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Spoilers in case anybody gets upset about hearing about what's *not* in the movie I guess

My personal headcanon, as I'm sure people are sick of reading on in BCS threads, was that Saul was going to come back and legalese Jesse out of everything and that would be a resolution for both of them, so I'm disappointed that's squashed forever. Realistically at least in the Breaking Bad world the evidence against Jesse was tenuous at best especially as there's clear evidence he was imprisoned and being forced to work against his will. And the "confession" tape he made at Hank's would get thrown out at hyperspeed for a number of reasons. *Something* is going to happen with Gene in BCS where he gets sick of hiding and I don't know what now.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I love how stupid rear end Badger and Skinny Pete blew a good chunk of the money Walt gave them on techno-chairs.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Badger and especially Skinny Pete were the best parts for sure.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Seems a decent time to repost this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX1AGFHIros

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Ricky Hitler indeed.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Tumble posted:

He was the best part of the movie. Literally no conscience what so ever.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

That kitchen scene! Holy crap, that made the movie.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This was really good. Definitely more like an epilogue than its own standalone thing and gave Jesse quite a bit more closure. Although at times it felt sorta like what a "Better Call Saul" for Jesse could have been like, but done quick.

Noticed that the trailer scene with Skinny Pete being investigated wasn't even in the final cut?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jesse Pinkman didn't say bitch one time, the entire movie.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Jesse Pinkman didn't say bitch one time, the entire movie.

Fairly certain he dropped it at the salad bar in the flashback.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Badger and especially Skinny Pete were the best parts for sure.

They deserve their own spin off.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Me posted:

"Unnecessary but very good" is first impression.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TraderStav posted:

Fairly certain he dropped it at the salad bar in the flashback.

It's even worse if he said it only once in a fluff scene.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol yeah I'm trying to remember another time it would have been appropriate for the ptsd-laden main character to spout off the late night TV invented catchphrase other than in a flashback and I'm coming up blank

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think if this was the first Breaking Bad thing to come out in over five years that this would feel a lot more impactful and less like a (well-executed) cash grab, but in a world with Better Call Saul and its absolutely fascinating characters, this all comes off as an "event" rather than a story that Vince and co. wanted to tell because it was meaningful.

Like, I never wanted to see Todd again. Not in a "ugh he freaks me the gently caress out" kind of way, more like a "he got Jabba'd by Jesse and him choking to death and the life leaving his dead eyes is all the closure I need" way.

Edit: poo poo, I'm just gonna say it. In terms of pure narrative satisfaction, "The New Man in Charge" is better than "El Camino."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 12, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Between this and Gemstones, it’s been a tough week for characters played by that actor.

Anyway, the movie was very solid. Really captured a lot of what I loved about BB. Who cares if it’s necessary? What entertainment is?

Also Gilligan was clearly not prepared for chunky Jesse Plemons. I wouldn’t have thought about it if it weren’t for the recap thing at the beginning but lol. Reminds me of Arrested Development S4 when they would show scenes that were supposed to take place during S3.

StandardFireworks
Sep 24, 2019
I enjoyed El Camino for what it was (the cinematography and performances were both excellent) but it definitely seemed superfluous in a way that Better Call Saul doesn't.

I feel like a more satisfying present day narrative would have been to have Jesse already in Alaska trying to adjust to normal life and seeing the full effects of what happened to him psychologically play out, with the flashbacks being to the escape from ABQ rather than to more Todd. You could still have the emotional resolution come with him sending the letter to Brock, as the fact that he couldn't say goodbye would have weighed on him and would be holding him back from embracing his new life.

The most compelling parts were the little glimpses of the PTSD that Jesse was struggling with, which seemed to melt away for a more perfunctory action / revenge story in the second half. The confrontation with the antagonist seemed unearned and unnecessary. I remember in the commentary for the final episode Gilligan said that once he dealt with Todd, Jesse was done with killing and deserved to move on, so ending with a contrived Western gun fight and an explosion didn't sit well with me.

I did really enjoy the Mike cameo and the two little BCS cameos - in the first news broadcast there is the DA that Jimmy sends the Huell letters to, and the bouncer with the sex workers was one of the bodyguards that Squat Cobbler hires along with Mike. The Walt cameo didn't really add much in my opinion.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
It was enjoyable. But once the end credits hit I was like "so....why???" It more or less tells you at the very beginning of the thing what's going to happen to him. And...that's what happens with a few bumps in the road. Nothing really new or exciting is revealed. So yeah it was nice to see these characters again but I kind of wish there had been a bigger point to it for the series and also I didn't need to see as much of the Todd character as I did(this also extends back to the previous season!). So definitely not unenjoyable just don't expect any real satisfaction once it's over.

Best scenes were the early ones with skinny pete and badger.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 12, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This movie was like 3 episodes that they could have added during the original run, and it would've worked better.

Still done really well, but yeah, BCS has it beat, by leaps and bounds.

In fact, what might've worked better would have been Gene somehow finding out that Jesse made it to Alaska and was fine, but again, it's not like the movie wasn't entertaining.

I agree wholeheartedly with "great, but unnecessary".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It absolutely wasn't necessary but it's a very solid epilogue that gives a nice chance to revisit a character and give him the same sort of sendoff that Walter White got.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's totally a prequel now Netflix can get Gilligan and Paul to do a full loving series about Jessie in Alaska.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

StandardFireworks posted:

I enjoyed El Camino for what it was (the cinematography and performances were both excellent) but it definitely seemed superfluous in a way that Better Call Saul doesn't.
Well, yeah. El Camino doesn't have its own Charles McGill or Kim Wexler. Hell, I don't even know if it has its own Howard Hamlin.

StandardFireworks posted:

The confrontation with the antagonist seemed unearned and unnecessary.
The showdown seemed patently ridiculous to me and the only thing that allowed me to justify it was that the dude was high as hell on cocaine.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Robert Forster has passed. This may be his last movie.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There were a lot of good moments, but ultimately it casts one of Pinkman's defining qualities - his reluctance to kill - and casts it as a weakness. His final conversation with Kate lays out the core message: seize control over your own destiny, don't let anyone determine it for you. El Camino is the story of how Pinkman wasn't willing to murder Todd to free himself, he wasn't able to break his bonds during the bet, but after his journey he's able to kill those welders and claim his own destiny. That this is the same guy who stepped away from millions of dollars over a single dead kid and was deeply traumatized and ashamed by his murder of Gail is ridiculous.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

clown shoes posted:

And here I was thinking what a treasure that dude is while I was watching this. RIP

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

clown shoes posted:

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang, that sucks about Robert Forster, I always enjoyed his characters in things.

Overall, I would say I enjoyed watching this. It didn't add much to the story, but it was nice to see the characters again. But those PTSD flashbacks hit really hard.

Edit: Man I'm really bummed out now. I guess the combo of what happens in the movie plus this Robert Forster news.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 12, 2019