Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

robot roll call posted:

And here I was thinking what a treasure that dude is while I was watching this. RIP

Jesus I was thinking the same thing. gently caress death. Twin Peaks strikes again.

To the people who say this was unnecessary, I ask, was it unnecessary to see what happened after Walt showed up at the compound? Because the show was very much both Jesse and Walt. Walt got a very definitive ending, Jesse did not.

This movie was very good and filled a void that needed to be filled. Was it perfect? I don't know, but Jesse rides away screaming like a lunatic wasn't the best way for him to end. He was much too clever for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I was literally sitting there thinking "he's looking old but I bet he's got a few good years left in him!" Thought the same thing about the Bowie Blackstar video. Maybe I should stop thinking that about old famous people.

I did think this wasn't really necessary, but it was pretty good and it was great to see some of these characters again. I really liked the Walt scene.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I'm sure someone in this thread has already said this but I think the better story would have skipped the messy transition and started with Jessie already in the minivan heading to his new life and going from there. It might have actually justified it's own existence that way instead of being another lowbrow nostalgia wank. I guess that might have stolen thunder from Better Call Saul's present day storyline.

edit:The superior title would have been a reference to Robert Forster's minivan.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 12, 2019

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Nail Rat posted:

Spoilers in case anybody gets upset about hearing about what's *not* in the movie I guess

My personal headcanon, as I'm sure people are sick of reading on in BCS threads, was that Saul was going to come back and legalese Jesse out of everything and that would be a resolution for both of them, so I'm disappointed that's squashed forever. Realistically at least in the Breaking Bad world the evidence against Jesse was tenuous at best especially as there's clear evidence he was imprisoned and being forced to work against his will. And the "confession" tape he made at Hank's would get thrown out at hyperspeed for a number of reasons. *Something* is going to happen with Gene in BCS where he gets sick of hiding and I don't know what now.

That exact thought went through my head when he gave up the gun to the fake cops(neonazi leftovers?). Besides probably being a gaping plot hole, that would have been saved for a better call saul finale.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 12, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think him being in his new life would have done anything different. I think this move will probably work better on people who haven't seen Breaking Bad yet. They'll go through the seasons on Netflix and then it will tell them there's a movie and it will continue on from where they just left off. It will look weird because everyone is older and fatter, but it might work better. We're seeing this of waiting for five years and coming up with all kinds of theories about what might have happened. So it will never be as good as what you thought up yourself.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

lurker2006 posted:

I'm sure someone in this thread has already said this but I think the better story would have skipped the messy transition and started with Jessie already in the minivan heading to his new life and going from there. It might have actually justified it's own existence that way instead of being another lowbrow nostalgia wank. I guess that might have stolen thunder from Better Call Saul's present day storyline.

edit:The superior title would have been a reference to Robert Forster's minivan.

That would've been a very short story though. If you want to go for believability, what they did was at least believable in Hollywood terms.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
What I was hoping for myself was a story that transcended the base "what happened to this beloved character after the ending" motivation that afflicted JK Rowling, didn't get that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked the movie for what it was (Mostly Hitchcockian “man on the run” suspense film more than anything), but ugh I’m just really bummed about Forster passing now.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I really enjoyed this. Aaron Paul as Jesse is just one of those role I'm always going to love and I'm happy we got a real ending for him.

For the same reason if they did decide to do a show about Jesse in Alaska I'd be completely down for that. Considering what Better Call Saul turned into having something completely post Breaking Bad with Aaron and Vince could be great. But I get not mining that vein too much so I'm not too worried about it. Alaska is really pretty though and they did such a great job with the cinematography throughout the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if there's really anything else they can show for Jesse. Aside from him meeting Dexter or something.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Gorn Myson posted:

"Unnecessary but very good" my first impression, but having thought about it a little bit more it gives Jesse the same sense of closure that Walter got in "Felina", which feels appropriate given that they were the two main characters.

That would be true if we had gotten to see an extended autopsy and embalming montage in addition to Walt's corpse releasing several postmortem farts.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
My headcanon was already him making out alright and starting over just nice to see that validated. It was not really needed as others have mentioned but I'm glad I watched.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I liked it. Jesse was definitely a “loose end” story wise at the end of Breaking Bad that didn’t NEED to be tied up, but whatever. I got to spend two more entertaining, well-acted, well-written, well-shot hours with the most interesting character left alive after Felina who didn’t end up with his own show. It was sorta like Rogue One. We know the rebels are gonna get the plans, but seeing how it happens is cool.

It wasn’t perfect, and it wasn’t anywhere near as good as the best of the BrBa universe, but it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting and it was never ever boring or bad, although I did cringe a little at Old Joe doing his impression of Jesse shouting “MAGNETS.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They sure nailed the dark humor from the show that has not been in BCS quite as much.

I thought it was good, but as mentioned, it was mostly unnecessary and more of a BB epilogue than anything else.

I had not seen the Robert Forster news yet, but I was going to say that he looked a lot older in this movie than the last time I had seen him in something

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just watched this and I'm into it. Was pretty much just a double episode of BB, which must have been really tricky and difficult to achieve after everyone's had a half decade break.

I would not have expected us to be spending most of our flashback time with Todd, I get the feeling it was some combination of his actor having the most availability and the audience knowing the least about him. In the show I can only remember one shot of his 'home' life, where it's shown that he likes to keep souvineers like the spider and the snowglobe, this expanded on him quite a bit. Of course I was waiting for Walter to show up, but what else do we really not already know about him? I am glad that his 'last' scene with Jesse was a nice, fatherly one :kiddo: Vaguely reminds me of the last thing they shot together for BB which was also a flashback to the first time they cooked in episode 1, though focused on Walt instead of Jesse.

After vacuum bro called the cops and Jesse was calling his bullshit I was totally expecting the phone to ring again in his hand with 911 calling him back, so expectations subverted there. I am unnecessarily proud of myself for immediately calling that the money was in the fridge, even before he started hitting his head on it, and that he had the smaller gun in his left hand already pointed at Kandy.

The shootout scene does stick out as weird/silly, but like someone else pointed out the room just got done doing coke off stripper tits for an hour so Kandy was probably up for anything by then. And I guess the explosion destroyed evidence? Probably just one last gently caress You from Jesse for him helping the Nazis chain him up.

And yeah bummer about Forster, the very day this gets released :(

e:

SolarFire2 posted:

I love how stupid rear end Badger and Skinny Pete blew a good chunk of the money Walt gave them on techno-chairs.

The built-in cupholders had LEDs that made their drinks glow :allears:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 12, 2019

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Was it great? No, not really. I doubt I'll watch it again.

Was it good? Hell yeah it was good. It kept my attention throughout, in an age where much more expensive and more ambitious or high-concept ideas tend to come out flat and uninteresting. It was a decent way to spend 2 hours, and I felt fulfilled at the end, not cheated.

And then I watched 'Chicanery' again and hooo boy is that episode (and that show) fantastic.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Not bad. Not amazing.

The problems that stood out most to me: As has been mentioned it wasnt exactly necessary. I was happy with the original conclusion. The pacing was weird for a Breaking Bad plot. Some of the acting stood out as really subpar for Breaking Bad.

The most interesting bits for me was the Todd stuff. I really enjoyed that poo poo and a refresher on how soulless Todd really is.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well that was okay with me, not a necessary ingredient of the meal just a dollop of whipped cream on the dessert.

I forgot how fascinating Todd was, trying so hard to become a real boy but completely missing the point in the worst way.

RIP Robert Forster.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Chunky Todd surprised me. Unless he is getting bigger for a role I would’ve presumed he would’ve been given enough notice to lose a bit of weight before principal filming started? Not a huge deal but took me out of it a bit, as did Mike’s teenager comment to an obviously 40 odd Jesse.

Didn’t expect the show to end exactly as it was building towards, with him finding the extra money he needed. Don’t know why but expected an alternative outcome, I mean it’s not like that guy is the only way that criminals can go under the radar. What did he do for Jesse exactly that he couldn’t have necessarily done himself? That said was great to see Robert Forster again (RIP).

The analogy about whipped cream about covers it for me. Unnecessary, but I’m going to enjoy it if it’s there.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Durzel posted:

Chunky Todd surprised me. Unless he is getting bigger for a role I would’ve presumed he would’ve been given enough notice to lose a bit of weight before principal filming started?
Unless I'm mistaken, Plemons put on a good deal of weight for Fargo season 2 and then just hasn't lost it. Like, I think I remember one interview where he even said he didn't see any real reason to lose it. I love that guy. Chunky Jesse Plemons is adorable and it made Todd even creepier IMO, cause at times I wanted to hug him, but holy poo poo that guy.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 12, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Robert Forster has passed. This may be his last movie.

Alright, I take it back. Now it was necessary. RIP 2 tha god

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Durzel posted:

Didn’t expect the show to end exactly as it was building towards, with him finding the extra money he needed. Don’t know why but expected an alternative outcome, I mean it’s not like that guy is the only way that criminals can go under the radar. What did he do for Jesse exactly that he couldn’t have necessarily done himself? That said was great to see Robert Forster again (RIP).

It's never explained in any detail, but in BB he's just the magical oshit-button disappear you guy. He does seem to set people up with new identities, so untraceable anonymous witness protection is probably worth the premium for his clients. It also sounded like he was used to working smaller time than Walt and co., not guys that are the subject of international manhunts.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. It's not incredible, and not really a movie, but it is essentially three really good episodes. It's more of exactly what I've come to expect from Vince Gilligan & co - great cinematography, great tension, great character writing, and some dark humor thrown in, and I'll never say no to that. It's "unnecessary" in that what the resolution for Jesse is pretty much what everyone envisioned for him or wanted for him all along, but I think they were wise to stick with that and give his character arc finite closure.

I can't remember... was it ever established that Jesse actually completed high school before this new Walt flashback? It felt like a loose end they were tying up.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

Just watched this and I'm into it. Was pretty much just a double episode of BB, which must have been really tricky and difficult to achieve after everyone's had a half decade break.

I would not have expected us to be spending most of our flashback time with Todd, I get the feeling it was some combination of his actor having the most availability and the audience knowing the least about him. In the show I can only remember one shot of his 'home' life, where it's shown that he likes to keep souvineers like the spider and the snowglobe, this expanded on him quite a bit. Of course I was waiting for Walter to show up, but what else do we really not already know about him? I am glad that his 'last' scene with Jesse was a nice, fatherly one :kiddo: Vaguely reminds me of the last thing they shot together for BB which was also a flashback to the first time they cooked in episode 1, though focused on Walt instead of Jesse.

After vacuum bro called the cops and Jesse was calling his bullshit I was totally expecting the phone to ring again in his hand with 911 calling him back, so expectations subverted there. I am unnecessarily proud of myself for immediately calling that the money was in the fridge, even before he started hitting his head on it, and that he had the smaller gun in his left hand already pointed at Kandy.

The shootout scene does stick out as weird/silly, but like someone else pointed out the room just got done doing coke off stripper tits for an hour so Kandy was probably up for anything by then. And I guess the explosion destroyed evidence? Probably just one last gently caress You from Jesse for him helping the Nazis chain him up.

And yeah bummer about Forster, the very day this gets released :(

e:

The built-in cupholders had LEDs that made their drinks glow :allears:

Was there a clue to the money being in the fridge? At first I thought it was going to be hid in the cans of soup.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Annabel Pee posted:

Was there a clue to the money being in the fridge? At first I thought it was going to be hid in the cans of soup.

He just hit his head against it and hear a delayed thump.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I...liked BB but it isn't one of my favorites. Gf made me watch it. We put this on last night and I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this. It kinda makes sense because a TV series builds up characters over time but here, you have a few callbacks to existing people, but none of them are of much significance really. But then, who is left?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gonna echo what's been said; nicely filmed and acted, but pretty unnecessary. I didn't get much out of the fan-servicey moments either since while I really liked Breaking Bad I'm not a super fan of it so seeing Cranston in the flashback kinda fell flat for me. Aside from a couple of neat scenes, at the end all it got out of me was a shrug.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I liked it, it wasnt surprising but it was decent enough for something that was much smaller scale than how breaking bad ended up. It's fitting that Jesse's main antagonist wouldn't be some gang or anything above street level, just some rear end in a top hat vulture he crossed paths with.

The only thing I thought was weird was the general lack of police presence other than like 2 scenes. I get that skinny pete and badger do their thing as cover but Jesse would still be under a full scale manhunt.

The flashbacks with returning characters made me think of when that guy was leaking fake scripts for the final season and somebody kept editing the imdb listing for ozymandias to list all of the people walt killed, which made me laugh when i remembered it. Similarly putting the obviously much older characters in their clothing from the earlier seasons is a gag that I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Unnecessary for you doesn't make it unnecessary for others. Cool, you didn't need more. Jesse deserved a little more closure than he got in the series, but cramming it into the show would have really lessened the terrible beauty of Walt's end.

The flashback with Walt makes his early character a little less of a caricature.

Fans ruin everything. I think making a series or whatever about Jesse in Alaska would be so boring and pointless and draaaaaag out what should have the curtain dropped on it. This movie was a final bow for both a character and an actor who deserved it.

Please God no don't make any kind of spin off for Badger and Skinny Pete. "Let's take something brilliant and just mash as much of a side joke out of it as possible."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, Plemons put on a good deal of weight for Fargo season 2 and then just hasn't lost it. Like, I think I remember one interview where he even said he didn't see any real reason to lose it. I love that guy. Chunky Jesse Plemons is adorable and it made Todd even creepier IMO, cause at times I wanted to hug him, but holy poo poo that guy.

Yeah he got chubby for Fargo and then wound up engaged to his co-star Kirsten Dunst, so clearly she doesn’t mind. His only motivation to lose it would be for a role or personal image and I guess Gilligan didn’t care enough to make him slim down again.

Speaking of big boys, we never got to find out if Huell left that room.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Gilligan suggested in an interview right after the show ended that Jesse would probably end up living a quiet life as a carpenter in Alaska so that was always my headcanon ending for him. Getting to see that play out in a fun little escape movie was a worthwhile 2 hours. Unnecessary, yeah, but I don't think there's any version of this movie that comes out feeling necessary. BB is a much different beast than, say, Deadwood, which needed a more satisfying ending than the first one it got.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Speaking of big boys, we never got to find out if Huell left that room.

Safehouse: Yet Another Breaking Bad Movie

hcreight fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 12, 2019

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

0 rows returned posted:

I liked it, it wasnt surprising but it was decent enough for something that was much smaller scale than how breaking bad ended up. It's fitting that Jesse's main antagonist wouldn't be some gang or anything above street level, just some rear end in a top hat vulture he crossed paths with.
Well, everyone else who could reasonably be considered an antagonist from the BB universe was dead. The way they did it was pretty clever, lesser shows would’ve introduced Tuco’s long lost never previously spoken about step brother to avenge his family! But those welding guys were a good fit. It was important to see that the head guy knew about Jesse’s imprisonment, of course.

Maytag posted:

Unnecessary for you doesn't make it unnecessary for others. Cool, you didn't need more. Jesse deserved a little more closure than he got in the series, but cramming it into the show would have really lessened the terrible beauty of Walt's end.
We saw Jesse driving away, free from imprisonment and in a car heading somewhere. That’s pretty much the go to metaphor in cinema for someone going off to live the rest of their life somewhere free of everything that happened before.

We didn’t need to have Jesse’s next steps spelled out. There’s numerous examples of shows and films where the finale leaves character endings ambiguous. The audience is free to make up their own head canon about what happened. There’s also the “always leave them wanting more” maxim.

That said, it’s always a pleasure to watch Vince Gilligan’s work, and I wasn’t disappointed by it. It just wasn’t necessary.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Huell got out of the room. There was a countdown to El Camino with a “live feed” of him sitting in the apartment. When it reached zero, he got up and walked out.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah he got chubby for Fargo and then wound up engaged to his co-star Kirsten Dunst

I didn't think i could hate Todd anymore than i already did.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Durzel posted:

We didn’t need to have Jesse’s next steps spelled out. There’s numerous examples of shows and films where the finale leaves character endings ambiguous. The audience is free to make up their own head canon about what happened. There’s also the “always leave them wanting more” maxim.

That said, it’s always a pleasure to watch Vince Gilligan’s work, and I wasn’t disappointed by it. It just wasn’t necessary.

Just don't watch it then. It was unnecessary for you, that doesn't make it actually unnecessary. His character deserved a finale.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If you've caught all the Breaking Bad stuff (and the Gene flashforwards in BCS) we know that Forster's character has value because he's drat good at what he does, sets you up with what seem like very legit ID's (given that we see Gene/Saul taken to a hospital and give his soc. number without the authorities catching on to him), and he's professional to a fault (which obviously works against Jesse in the movie, but is otherwise certainly a positive quality in general if you're doing business with him and can afford his services).

Jesse could have just tried to hide away away somewhere on his own, but even staying in motels would be a big risk, so if he wants to actually be safe it's a life of living in a car, paying to shower at truck stops and some gas stations, and never knowing when his time would come. After what he'd been through there's a lot of value in being fairly sure you're being set up with a solid new identity, safely transported to what's probably the last place anyone would think to look for you, and given the resources you need to begin a new life (some clothes, a car, and I'd be shocked if there's not an apartment already set up for him to move in to).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maytag posted:

Yeah, but this is how reviews work. People say what they thought of the thing, and "unnecessary but great" is valid, just as valid as you saying Jesse deserved an ending, other than driving off into the night.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

It's definitely a better ending for Jessie than i envisioned from the BB ending and Jessie was always my favorite character. I would have liked more glimpses of the outside world than we got from the 10 second news clips though. What happened to the Skinny Pete and the cops scene?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

We didn't need Walt's last steps spelled out either, you could have cut to black when the cops were surrounding him in the blizzard. Does he die in prison? Does he get his revenge? You decide.

It was entertaining to see his ending, and it's entertaining to see Jesse's ending. Because you know he's not getting far unless SOMETHING happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Not many spin-off series or movies are ever actually necessary. But sometimes they are pretty good. And El Camino, is pretty good!