Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming BCS season that I'm assuming is going to develop Mike's hatred for Lydia. They're cordial now, but I rewatched Dead Freight and holy poo poo, he's got an itchy trigger finger for shooting her in the head.

Unless I'm misremembering and his hatred for her solely stems from her hiring hitmen to take him out?

He hates her already on Better Call Saul. It's probably going to develop more as it goes, but a lot comes from matters of temperament even before, you know, murders and such get involved.

Mike is hands on, with a natural distaste for people who aren't, and he's highly competent, which again, gives him a distaste for people who aren't. Lydia views All This as a sideline. She pays people to worry about it, and she tries to keep distance, while playing a lot of things sloppier so she can keep that distance. Not a combination that makes people like each other.

(The safety videos on the Better Call Saul DVDs are pretty much Mike constantly complaining about Lydia.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

chiasaur11 posted:

(The safety videos on the Better Call Saul DVDs are pretty much Mike constantly complaining about Lydia.)

I forgot about this, and love it all over again.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

All I wanna know is, did they actually get pizza

Todd doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would lie about that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hot Stunt posted:

Todd doesn't look like the kind of guy who would lie about that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just watched this kinda felt empty like nothing really happened. The bad guys came in halfway through the movie and didn't really make sense. They just let Jesse go with 330k dollars? Why not just knock him out? So many flashbacks that split the direction of the movie. They both showcased the torture Jesse went through in his captivity and the device that drove the plot forward for him finding the money to disappear. It's weird like I was more interested in the Jesse/Fat Damon interaction B plot than what was actually going on in A plot but the B plot felt like unnecessary filler that could have just been extra scenes in the final season. Was this supposed to just be a collection of deleted scenes or did they film all this after BB?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This was all filmed in the last 12 months.

Really it should be obvious looking at just about anybody except maybe Skinny Pete.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doltos posted:

Just watched this kinda felt empty like nothing really happened. The bad guys came in halfway through the movie and didn't really make sense. They just let Jesse go with 330k dollars? Why not just knock him out? So many flashbacks that split the direction of the movie. They both showcased the torture Jesse went through in his captivity and the device that drove the plot forward for him finding the money to disappear. It's weird like I was more interested in the Jesse/Fat Damon interaction B plot than what was actually going on in A plot but the B plot felt like unnecessary filler that could have just been extra scenes in the final season. Was this supposed to just be a collection of deleted scenes or did they film all this after BB?

I agree, it kinda felt like there was no antagonist for 99% of it and then they threw one in at the end because I guess every story needs a bad guy. I kinda liked when there wasn't one though, Jesse dealing with his own demons and paranoia was much more interesting than the traditional fugitive thriller story it settled into. And yeah I agree that Jesse/Toddy's scenes were the highlight, the rest of it was good but they definitely stand out.

edit: Also, maybe I missed it or it's from the original series and I forgot, but did they ever mention how/why Todd's car got marked? Maybe they did bring it up and I memory holed it but it feels a bit convenient that the tracker didn't start trackin' until Jesse was ready to leave anyway.

edit again: Never mind, I guess Todd himself put a LoJack tracker on the car and the cops activated it? Just insurance he didn't end up needing I guess?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 17, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Todd would be stupid enough to put LoJack on the car he uses to drive to a compound where he keeps a slave that makes drugs.

Also, I don't really think Kandy was a major antagonist any more than Ed was. He and Jesse start off working against each other until Jesse tells him where the money is and, after a minor conflict, they both leave amicably. Then later, Jesse goes there to ask for a small amount of money which ends with Jesse killing him. Yeah, he's an antagonist, but he's not the overall villain of the movie. He's just another hurdle Jesse has to get over on his journey to freedom. Not every story needs a big V Villain for the protagonist to battle against. If anything, the villain of this movie is just the mountain of bullshit that Jesse has to get over in order to free himself. it's a combination of his flashbacks to his terrible treatment, Kandy being an rear end in a top hat, and Ed being a stickler for details.

I'm sure someone will write some paper in their English or film study class where they compare this movie to some greek classic tale where Jesse first receives aid from his comrades who immediately disappear and then Jesse battles alone against whatever blah blah, he wins in the end.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

When he got to the welding truck and Kandy smirks about wondering if he was going to remember him (and there's that super brief flashback where you can't really make out what's happening) I thought he was going to turn out to have been one of Jesse's torturers, what with the scars on his back. Which I think would have been better.

Also looking at the way Todd treats Jesse in this (and mostly how he treats Jesse in s5), it makes me think it was the other Nazis that conducted the torture and Todd didn't really participate. Like, he just doesn't seem to have any sadism inside him, he just lacks empathy and doesn't understand that what he does is hurtful. Even going all the way back to after they dispose of Drew Sharp's body, and he goes outside and makes a random comment to Jesse who decks him, he doesn't have any grasp of why he's done something wrong or why Jesse would be angry with him.

Cojawfee posted:

Todd would be stupid enough to put LoJack on the car he uses to drive to a compound where he keeps a slave that makes drugs.

Yup. The slave he wants to be friends with, because he doesn't quite grasp why the slave would be upset with him.

I loved that line about the cleaning lady's murder, "don't make me feel worse about it than I already do." He clearly doesn't feel anything at all, but has learned that this is the sort of thing you're supposed to say.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah I get the sense that Todd was the one who played "good cop" in Jesse's torturing. Which makes his offer of pizza all the more violating, Jesse knows he's stockholm syndroming somewhat at this guys offer of "kindness".

Doltos posted:

There are two reasons he let Jesse go

One is pragmatic, knocking someone out isn't that easy in real life and BB hasn't usually used movie logic on this. Start wailing on someone with the butt of a handgun and its more likely they'll scream and struggle and then you have a mess on your hands.

The second is the implication that Kandy has a grudging respect for Jesse, he saw this guy tortured and treated like an animal, and now he's here, clean shaven and coming back to take whats his "you got balls on you kid I'll give you that"

Also I never got the sense Kandy was ever treated as a major obsticle by Jesse anyway, at this point he's gone through enough that dealing with him is no real hassle at all. This is an epilogue story more than a climax.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 17, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean Jesse explains very succinctly why Kandy should (and eventually did) let him go, because he could just shout HEY BITCH or w/e and sink the entire ship taking them down with him now that he knows the two dudes aren't really cops. It's not real easy to silently take out a person when all you have is two guns and your fists and no element of surprise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think that if Kandy had actually tortured Jesse, the whole dynamic would have been different. I honestly believe that Jesse didn't 100% expect to have to kill his way to that $1800, but was only prepared to. As it stood, Jesse was probably ok with letting them live if they had given him that relatively small amount of money, because while Kandy was instrumental in Jesse's captivity, he wasn't the actual one holding him there. He's still awful and obviously Jesse isn't bent out of shape over killing him and the other guy given the circumstances, but it all could've gone down without anyone dying but douchebag wanted to play cowboy.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I watched it last weekend and after sitting on it, I think El Camino was a pretty decent BB epilogue episode. If it was an epilogue special that came out as part of season 5, it would be a middle of the pack episode overall, which is to still say it is very good.

You know those tv show flashback episodes that trot out a sitcom's greatest hits? This was the Breaking Bad version. Not a flashback episode in the same sense, but a call back to everything that happened in the series.

It will probably turn into something I put on in the background when I'm doing something else around my apartment (this is a positive).

colachute fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 17, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Couple of other subtle Todd's-not-a-real-boy moments that I liked in Breaking Bad:

- Todd recounts the train heist to his crew in great detail but leaves out the part where he shoots a kid in the head and says it went off without a hitch

- After Walt's murder machine gun device tears up his crew, his uncle, and his life essentially, all he can do is peek over the window and stare in wonder as he utters "Jesus! ... Mr. White!" Yes, he's still calling the guy who murdered everyone around him "Mr. White"

D'aww!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I think that if Kandy had actually tortured Jesse, the whole dynamic would have been different. I honestly believe that Jesse didn't 100% expect to have to kill his way to that $1800, but was only prepared to.

A major point of the film is that Jesse doesn't kill Todd. Of course he does in the show but, in this particular movie, Todd just disappears after a vague incident with a machine gun. Todd then appears in these flashback sequences as if he never died - just as it's as if Jesse was never really unchained.

So if Jesse couldn't bring himself to kill Todd, who's this horrible person, Kandy's nowhere near as bad. People are exactly right that Kandy is not any kind of ultimate antagonist - Jesse himself is making those same sort of rationalizations for just staying passive and letting it go. It's just the welder who built the cage, probably not even a nazi.

But Jesse literally cannot move on unless he kills the man who forged his chains. And, in a way, Jesse does innately understand the symbolism of it because there are dozens of other ways he could find a meager 2000 dollars. He specifically tracks down the guy carrying Todd's .45, to make one tiny demand for himself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Best part was Walt forgetting he was at Jesse’s graduation and thought he was a dropout.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ruddiger posted:

Best part was Walt forgetting he was at Jesse’s graduation and thought he was a dropout.

I asked this earlier in the thread but didn't get an answer - was it ever established prior to this that Jesse actually completed high school? I genuinely can't recall, and this exchange felt like the writers feeling the need to clarify it to the audience.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember it ever being mentioned in the show, but probably a lot of people (viewers and characters) just assume he's a dropout. We know he was a poor student and was getting busted for weed through most of his childhood. The Walt flashback was the morning after their first cook (I think) so it was probably just an easy gag about how they didn't really know each other yet and Walt was still thinking of him as his old dumb burnout student.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I did like the bit in the flashback about Walt assuming Jesse was a drop-out, just because before that scene, I had made the same assumption. I don't recall if they actually state during the series whether or not he graduated, and was watching the movie with a friend who also didn't recall every detail from the series. Well before the diner scene late in the movie, I remember saying to my friend, "...because I'm pretty sure Jesse had dropped out of high school years before Walt came across him again in the series premiere," or something to that effect.

E: lol, kinda beaten to it by the post before mine

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 17, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'd always assumed he graduated. Its not like the world was against him. He's not anti social guy he probably had friends and stuff in HS so like why leave?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 17, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

massive spider posted:

Also I never got the sense Kandy was ever treated as a major obsticle by Jesse anyway, at this point he's gone through enough that dealing with him is no real hassle at all. This is an epilogue story more than a climax.

Kandy isn't even at the same level as Huell or the Vamanos Pest guys. He kept quiet about these Nazi meth cookers having a guy chained up at their compound, but I never got the feeling he was really part of that group, they probably just compensated him extremely well for his welding services. I don't see him as a professional criminal, I see him as a guy who sees that Todd died on the news and thinks "I know that guy, he definitely has some cash stashed away somewhere, this could be an easy score!" Him going up against Jesse is like Daniel Wormald from Better Call Saul going up against Mike.

A guy who knows how to fake being a cop to break into a crime scene wouldn't drive there in a work truck that has his name on the side. He's in way over his head before Jesse even enters the situation.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
My assumption came from knowing he wasn't a very diligent student and the fact that he had a quite real drug problem, but, like, after learning he'd graduated, I was like, "yeah, that's fair." Cause he's not a dumb character and stuff, and it's shown that he is more competent than he seemed at the start of the series, etc. As for the world not being against him: no, but I'd argue that he was very much against himself.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 17, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
oh sure it'd be easy to assume either. But I have never heard of anyone in my personal life who was from a well-off family and didnt graduate high school so the thought like didnt even occur to me.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

No Wave posted:

oh sure it'd be easy to assume either. But I have never heard of anyone in my personal life who was from a well-off family and didnt graduate high school so the thought like didnt even occur to me.

Fair point, as well. Like I said, it definitely made sense when he said he graduated. I thought it was funny cause his response to Walt also worked as one toward me for making that false assumption, hahaha.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I think that worked really well. Even for me, the dunce who never even thought about Jesse's high school grad status before the film. I went through the whole spectrum of "Yeah, getting his GED would have been good he musta not graduated, wait he graduated? Walt forgot? LOL"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I am rewatching BB thanks to this show, and it does give a flash of Jesse's education. Jesse leaves Walt a voicemail as a telecom salesman, Walt awkwardly picks up, and Skylar finds it suspicious. She calls him back and gets his goofy rear end voicemail, which leads her to his website and ultimately to Walt "admitting" that Jesse sold him pot.

On Jesse's site it lists his education as a graduate of whatever high school and that he took DeVry University courses at some point.

It could be a lie but I genuinely believe that Jesse wouldn't lie about that on his site. Honestly him taking scummy DeVry classes is great characterization for him imo. It's the same flawed but good part of him took those classes as was educating Badger on glassware.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 17, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jesse Plemons owns and Vince Gilligan was lucky to get him to do this at any weight because he gives far and away the best performance in the movie

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bryan Cranston’s bald cap was really distracting in that flashback scene tho

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Jesse Plemons owns and Vince Gilligan was lucky to get him to do this at any weight because he gives far and away the best performance in the movie

Agreed. Plus, I personally wasn't that thrown by the weight difference, because I've gotten used to Plemons's new appearance. Yeah, it's kinda a funny continuity issue, but I don't think it actually detracts from anything in the least

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Bryan Cranston’s bald cap was really distracting in that flashback scene tho

I was distracted by the parking lot "backdrop" they put outside the windows... from where they were sitting, they'd be looking across a pretty big parking lot at another restaurant (Sadie's), not at a rocky hillside. Of course I only noticed this because the Owl Cafe is about 3 miles from my house and I've eaten there. It's also a mile and a half straight south from the car wash.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Agreed. Plus, I personally wasn't that thrown by the weight difference, because I've gotten used to Plemons's new appearance. Yeah, it's kinda a funny continuity issue, but I don't think it actually detracts from anything in the least

I wouldn’t have thought about if not for the recap that plays before the movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Couple of other subtle Todd's-not-a-real-boy moments that I liked in Breaking Bad:

- Todd recounts the train heist to his crew in great detail but leaves out the part where he shoots a kid in the head and says it went off without a hitch

- After Walt's murder machine gun device tears up his crew, his uncle, and his life essentially, all he can do is peek over the window and stare in wonder as he utters "Jesus! ... Mr. White!" Yes, he's still calling the guy who murdered everyone around him "Mr. White"

D'aww!!

Did he shoot Drew in the head? I always thought it was a chest shot. Doesn't really matter either way, of course.

Also, in the moments right after the M60 mows everyone down and everything is absolutely chaotic, I would never have bet on Todd of all people immediately putting together who was responsible for what. He's probably in the middle of putting the pieces together when Jesse chokes him.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

El Camino really makes me happier that Jesse is the one that killed Todd. I was always happy it was him and it was obvious that Todd does some really hosed up poo poo all the time, but goddamn. Poor cleaning lady :(

Jesse Plemons rules and I just wrote his weight loss off as him sitting fat and happy on his meth empire before getting into shape and everyone getting waxed by Walt.

It wouldn’t take him but a month or so to get back to being BB-slim and I think they said it was like six months he was held captive? It probably doesn’t make sense but it’s how I made sense of his weight gain.

You can say what you want but it was very obvious and momentarily distracting.

And maybe this is me being neurotic but when I would watch BB I wouldn’t see Bryan Cranston, I would see Walter White. I didn’t quite get that same type of immersion from his cameo. Maybe it was the bald cap? I dunno, but I was way more aware that I was watching Cranston perform as White, rather than just seeing Walter. Hope that makes sense.

colachute fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 18, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like the weirdest part of the walt scene was putting so much focus on jessie getting a business degree or doing sports medicine, like in most movies like this a flashback to two central characters talking about the future will like, go somewhere. But in this one they have a conversation about the future and it's entirely off the wall suggestions that aren't even maybes for happening.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like the weirdest part of the walt scene was putting so much focus on jessie getting a business degree or doing sports medicine, like in most movies like this a flashback to two central characters talking about the future will like, go somewhere. But in this one they have a conversation about the future and it's entirely off the wall suggestions that aren't even maybes for happening.

It at the very least shows that Jesse got separate sets of fatherly advice from Mike and Walt, and ultimately ended up following Mike’s advice.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Did he shoot Drew in the head? I always thought it was a chest shot. Doesn't really matter either way, of course.

Also, in the moments right after the M60 mows everyone down and everything is absolutely chaotic, I would never have bet on Todd of all people immediately putting together who was responsible for what. He's probably in the middle of putting the pieces together when Jesse chokes him.

Could be that he wasn't shot in the head, I think they purposefully made it less graphic than other deaths since it was a child so it wasn't 1000% clear/I might be misremembering

Also IIRC, I think the last thing Todd saw was Walt's car with a machine gun sticking out of it, so I don't think it was too crazy for him to put together those pieces

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Blast Fantasto posted:

It at the very least shows that Jesse got separate sets of fatherly advice from Mike and Walt, and ultimately ended up following Mike’s advice.

Also Walt's advice is about ambition and accomplishment whereas Mike's is about peace and queit.

The advice says more about the person offering it than anyone else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i assumed jesse graduated because even the worst burnouts i knew did.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blast Fantasto posted:

That is honestly a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Also Walt's advice is about ambition and accomplishment whereas Mike's is about peace and queit.

The advice says more about the person offering it than anyone else.

Right. And while Walt seems to be focused on compartmentalizing their criminal activity as a temporary measure to move on to greater things, Mike recognizes that you can't really do that after the seal is broken. There's always the chance, however remote, that Jesse will face the consequences of what he did with Walt, no matter how pious of a life he leads from there on out.

It sort of echoes what Mike tells Daniel in S1 of Better Call Saul. "You can go home today with your money and never do this again. But you took something that wasn't yours. And you sold it for a profit. You're now a criminal."