Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I’m glad at least one character from this universe got a happy ending and a rad sweater. It’s ended badly for everyone else so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I kept thinking of Fat Todd as Ed from Fargo which was really loving weird.

Edit: also, a friend put the over/under on the number of times Jesse says bitch at 14. He didn't believe me that he only days it once.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 12, 2019

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, but this is how reviews work. People say what they thought of the thing, and "unnecessary but great" is valid, just as valid as you saying Jesse deserved an ending, other than driving off into the night.

Fair enough. I think it's a weak way to judge something and not actually a thought-out review, but I get that's my opinion and not an objective truth.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Robert Forster was rightfully ashamed of that turd and asked God for a Hoover Max Extract.

Nail Rat posted:

To the people who say this was unnecessary, I ask, was it unnecessary to see what happened after Walt showed up at the compound?

Dying?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I mean, you know he's not walking out of there alive. The circumstances are just details. And actually the way everyone died right off except the four most important characters actually stretches believability even for this show IMO.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Coke Tray Dude is my spirit animal.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, you know he's not walking out of there alive. The circumstances are just details. And actually the way everyone died right off except the four most important characters actually stretches believability even for this show IMO.

Walt and Jessie reconciled, Jessie was shown to be free and have a chance at a new life, those were worthwhile character beats. The problem was again, this El Camino movie just went backwards and moved to the same exact same spot as the series finale.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently Vince stated that you could enjoy this without having seen Breaking Bad? No way would anyone care about what's happening in it otherwise.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

lurker2006 posted:

Walt and Jessie reconciled, Jessie was shown to be free and have a chance at a new life, those were worthwhile character beats. The problem was again, this El Camino movie just went backwards and moved to the same exact same spot as the series finale.

Without this movie, the most likely outcome of the series is that Jesse gets caught. He has no money or anything, several people involved in the show said they hoped he made it to Alaska but he probably ended up in prison. If you accept that, this movie actually is necessary if the intended ending for him is actually getting that fresh start.

And yeah Vince Gilligan is high if he thinks anybody would care about or understand this movie without BB.

Did I somehow miss it or was the Skinny Pete interrogation scene not in the movie? Maybe they're adding extra content in for a Blu-ray release?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nail Rat posted:

Without this movie, the most likely outcome of the series is that Jesse gets caught. He has no money or anything, several people involved in the show said they hoped he made it to Alaska but he probably ended up in prison. If you accept that, this movie actually is necessary if the intended ending for him is actually getting that fresh start.

I agree. This movie kicks the can a bit further down the road to push it more in the direction of "Jesse got away" but is still ambiguous. Maybe he could get caught someday in the future, but this makes it a lot more likely that he can lay low.

Also, it seemed to fit that whatever nazi guy it was getting the rail installed was the type of rear end in a top hat who has no idea what he's talking about but tries to talk to an expert like he knows more. "I want more of them fish plates"

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 12, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Apparently Vince stated that you could enjoy this without having seen Breaking Bad? No way would anyone care about what's happening in it otherwise.

Source?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Skinny Pete thing was a promo video, that occurred within the fiction of the story but did not happen on camera.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Movie's pretty good, though more like three episodes of a Jesse TV show than a movie. So much so that I wonder if the script started as a TV show outline at first.

People say it wasn't necessary but Jesse has been through so much poo poo throughout BB that he deserves an explicit happy ending.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Without this movie, the most likely outcome of the series is that Jesse gets caught.

I disagree. The scene where he drives off is shot as "a good thing" and overthinking the logistics of it rather than reading the emotions seems wrong.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I had low expectations going into this, I already think the ending of Breaking Bad was near-perfect so the idea of adding another epilogue sounded bad. I'm glad that I was wrong, since I really enjoyed this and I think it can stand on its own. I felt the same way about Better Call Saul originally too and that's wound up being one of my favorite shows.

The whole duel / shootout scene felt silly, but given that the series has that "almost a Western" quality it felt pretty fitting. I also thought Jesse got shot during that scene but I guess it's just a wince? It took me a bit to get where the plot was going but I guess I failed to pay attention to him ripping out the phonebook pages at the start.

I was also glad that they didn't try pushing it all the way forward to Saul / Gene, just a couple mentions in passing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The whole "Saul sees Jesse was arrested and comes out of hiding to defend him" plot idea was dumb as gently caress and was never going to happen.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

A peculiar thing I noted about Jesse’s new start was that he was left driving a car into/around Alaska. When the guy set Walt up with a new identity it was in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, with the guy resupplying him periodically, and with express instructions not to venture beyond the gate under threat of being left to fend for himself.

Jesse is as big a person of interest as Walt was, so it doesn’t seem prudent to just let him wander off wherever he wants. He didn’t even look particularly different, unlike Walt. To echo what was said above the film ended with Jesse driving away, what’s to say someone wouldn’t have identified him somewhere along his journey? That was the entire point of Walt being sequestered away.

A minor nitpick I guess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm genuinely surprised that Jesse's love of wood working wasn't touched on. Sports medicine? That was out of nowhere. Ah well.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

To all those saying the scene with Skinny P shown in the trailer wasn't in the movie: did you really need to see it again? It was there in the trailer, I don't think there's anything they could possibly add to it.

Skinny gets arrested in the El Camino, gets interrogated, they have nothing on him, and let him go. End of story!

PS: the movie was awesome and I am really happy for Jesse

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i loved it and am glad it didn't get short changed like the deadwood movie did.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Durzel posted:

A peculiar thing I noted about Jesse’s new start was that he was left driving a car into/around Alaska. When the guy set Walt up with a new identity it was in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, with the guy resupplying him periodically, and with express instructions not to venture beyond the gate under threat of being left to fend for himself.

Jesse is as big a person of interest as Walt was, so it doesn’t seem prudent to just let him wander off wherever he wants. He didn’t even look particularly different, unlike Walt. To echo what was said above the film ended with Jesse driving away, what’s to say someone wouldn’t have identified him somewhere along his journey? That was the entire point of Walt being sequestered away.

A minor nitpick I guess.

The only reason the cleaner guy resupplied Walt was because of Walt's barrel of money. If Walt had only been able to come up with the initial fee like Jesse, I'd bet the cleaner would have left him to his own devices similar to Jesse. He even says in Granite State that the ongoing arrangement thing is unique and not something he normally does.

The fact that the cleaner told Jesse that he'd honor his deal with him means he was willing to accept the risk. Jesse was hidden in the moving van for the journey. Do you think someone on a random Alaskan highway is going to recognize him?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Durzel posted:

A minor nitpick I guess.

The best answer is probably something like Walt's story was making him a figure on national television, and as such he would have been caught by somebody if he tried to live a normal existence in New Hampshire, whereas Jesse is a person of interest in the overall investigation and isn't making the news anywhere but Albuquerque.

He should probably take a cue from Whitey Bulger and grow the beard back, though.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I agree. This movie kicks the can a bit further down the road to push it more in the direction of "Jesse got away" but is still ambiguous. Maybe he could get caught someday in the future, but this makes it a lot more likely that he can lay low.

Also, it seemed to fit that whatever nazi guy it was getting the rail installed was the type of rear end in a top hat who has no idea what he's talking about but tries to talk to an expert like he knows more. "I want more of them fish plates"

Next sequel from Netflix: In Alaska, Jesse is going to meet up with Dexter, they'll form a cut-throat illicit mining operation and launder their gold via Marty 's Ozark Gold Laundromat & Dry Cleaning Services.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lurker2006 posted:

What I was hoping for myself was a story that transcended the base "what happened to this beloved character after the ending" motivation that afflicted JK Rowling, didn't get that.

half the movie takes place during the original series.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

lurker2006 posted:

Sure. But the argument in favor of the movie is that the series got to "that exact same spot" quite poorly.

The stuff that happens to Jesse after Ozymandias is too substantial to be reduced to a handful of scenes over three episodes. He's barely even in the finale. Jesse was "shown to be free" after a captivity we barely saw. In the show's timeline it lasted months, but for the audience, Jesse escaped after two weeks. Everything involving Jesse that doesn't directly relate to Walter White (i.e. his positive relationships with everyone else) is completely absent from the series finale and is a big flaw, IMO, his character just becomes a tool to develop Walter more. It's the weakest part of the finale.

The movie goes backward because it's useful to further develop Jesse's captivity and its effects, and to get a better sense of what his emotional development was over that period of time.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 12, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

In the interview I read he said the exact opposite: they considered putting lots of catch-up moments for people who hadn’t seen BB then thought gently caress em. Series

Also it was weird to hear mike describe Jesse as a teenage millionaire since Arron Paul is looking extremely 30s but BB timeline he wasn’t long out of high school when bye met Walt, the series takes place from Walt’s 50th birthday to his 52nd and that’s minus the cooking and hiding in a cabin months long time skips. So yeah I guess Jesses like 20?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 12, 2019

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Durzel posted:

A minor nitpick I guess.

I always took that as the guy was planning on coming up to walts cabin and taking all of his money after he died.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Binary Logic posted:

Coke Tray Dude is my spirit animal.

This dude’s reaction stuck out to me as incredibly well acted given the situation and his headspace. I laughed super hard.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

massive spider posted:

In the interview I read he said the exact opposite: they considered putting lots of catch-up moments for people who hadn’t seen BB then thought gently caress em. Series

Oh, disregard then. I shouldn’t listen to my friend (he gets his info from reddit).

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Cojawfee posted:

The whole "Saul sees Jesse was arrested and comes out of hiding to defend him" plot idea was dumb as gently caress and was never going to happen.

Fans have the dumbest ideas. Maybe Badger gets so inspired by Saul he becomes a lawyer and defends Jesse.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I wanted a tastefully done closure and that's exactly what I got.

There was no relation or reference to BCS which I find surprising, and also a good thing. I like that BCS has its own identity and will continue to do so. Saul and Kim deserve their own focused story.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Was anyone else shocked by Skinny Pete's incredible head of hair? Like how it just comes out that he's a piano virtuoso, he's full of surprises.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

massive spider posted:

Also it was weird to hear mike describe Jesse as a teenage millionaire since Arron Paul is looking extremely 30s but BB timeline he wasn’t long out of high school when bye met Walt, the series takes place from Walt’s 50th birthday to his 52nd and that’s minus the cooking and hiding in a cabin months long time skips. So yeah I guess Jesses like 20?

Jesse was 24 when the series began, Mike was probably being a little dry with his comment.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In the flashback, why did Walt speak to Jesse with Mike's voice?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My favorite little detail was Todd just casually putting the belt back on after he unwraps it from the cleaning woman's neck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

My favorite little detail was Todd just casually putting the belt back on after he unwraps it from the cleaning woman's neck.

Everything Todd did was at the same time insane and dumb as hell. Not dumb as in bad, as in he's stupid as gently caress. "She doesn't even speak English, so I don't know what she would be looking up. Maybe M for Mexico."

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My favorite dumb Todd moment as when he gestured at the semi truck to honk and it didn’t do it lmao.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
All of those moments were awesome and just added to the well developed character that he was. A sad lonely sociopath that seeks approval from everyone.

The belt thing was just crazy.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I liked how he kept stepping over the body as he was cooking soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

My favorite dumb Todd moment as when he gestured at the semi truck to honk and it didn’t do it lmao.

Lots of little one-off visual gags around Todd, somehow he's the comic relief character in all this. Like in that scene you see him cruising down the road with the window open, jamming to some tunes, and you think 'Oh that's nice, at least Jesse gets to have this one kind of nice moment out of his cage'. But then the camera finally pans over to the empty passenger seat and lol no Todd made him lay down in the back next to a corpse the whole way.