Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

massive spider posted:

Also I never got the sense Kandy was ever treated as a major obsticle by Jesse anyway, at this point he's gone through enough that dealing with him is no real hassle at all. This is an epilogue story more than a climax.

Kandy isn't even at the same level as Huell or the Vamanos Pest guys. He kept quiet about these Nazi meth cookers having a guy chained up at their compound, but I never got the feeling he was really part of that group, they probably just compensated him extremely well for his welding services. I don't see him as a professional criminal, I see him as a guy who sees that Todd died on the news and thinks "I know that guy, he definitely has some cash stashed away somewhere, this could be an easy score!" Him going up against Jesse is like Daniel Wormald from Better Call Saul going up against Mike.

A guy who knows how to fake being a cop to break into a crime scene wouldn't drive there in a work truck that has his name on the side. He's in way over his head before Jesse even enters the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Also Walt's advice is about ambition and accomplishment whereas Mike's is about peace and queit.

The advice says more about the person offering it than anyone else.

Right. And while Walt seems to be focused on compartmentalizing their criminal activity as a temporary measure to move on to greater things, Mike recognizes that you can't really do that after the seal is broken. There's always the chance, however remote, that Jesse will face the consequences of what he did with Walt, no matter how pious of a life he leads from there on out.

It sort of echoes what Mike tells Daniel in S1 of Better Call Saul. "You can go home today with your money and never do this again. But you took something that wasn't yours. And you sold it for a profit. You're now a criminal."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I think the flashback's supposed to take place after season two's "4 Days Out," where they're stuck in the desert in the RV, which was when Jesse learned that Walt had cancer. That was a rare, brief window of time where Jesse actually cared about Walt and before he'd hosed over Jesse too much. 4 Days Out is also one of my favorite episodes

I was gonna make a post similar to this one, but apparently Jesse learns Walt has cancer earlier in "Crazy Handful of Nothin'". BUT he does think that Walt's condition is actively getting worse in "4 Days Out" because he's coughing up blood and Walt is ranting about how he deserves everything bad that's happening to him for the lies he's told his family. So you're still correct about it being probably the height of Jesse's empathy towards Walt.

That moment we see in the diner is also probably the last moment where Walt has a chance to truly put the brakes on everything. They have more than $1 million of meth in the RV to split between them, he could have let Jesse handle the business side of it from there and stepped away to focus on spending time with his family. It's weird, the scene seemed almost gratuitous while watching El Camino, like they just wanted to have a Walt cameo. But the more I think about it, the more that scene really is a pivotal moment in their relationship.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Ohhh right, yes, Jesse did learn about it sooner from the dots on Walt’s chest. It was during a cook too, which musta confused me.

I was convinced that it was in "4 Days Out" also until I looked it up on the Breaking Bad Wiki for confirmation. Shout out to all the nerds who have written up extensive summaries of every scene in every episode.