Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Uneccessary and self indulgent. Attempts to capture a moment that is well past, both try-hard and lacking flair. It reeks like many Netflix adventures of this nature as cheapening what's already there, like deleted scenes added back in that you think you want until you realize how much it breaks the spell of what already existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

atomicpile posted:

Show me on the doll where Netflix touched you.

It's more intriguing and satisfying to conclude on what Jesse might have done. 🤷‍♂️ The arc was resolved and the future was left ambiguous in the original series. Breaking Bad was a methodically paced show that took high stakes drama into mundane settings, channelled by some very raw performances. This is none of that. This is the extra hour in Apocalypse Now Redux (Netflix would've loved to have that an exclusive)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Robert Forster has passed. This may be his last movie.

Alright, I take it back. Now it was necessary. RIP 2 tha god

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Meth Damon became Fat Damon

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I would've much preferred Jesse in Alaska wood working, allude to the plot point of Todd's money (or hell, even tell that story) and things coming back to haunt him in his new life because there is no escape from what he was involved in. 🤷‍♂️

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Anyway, it's clear that Gilligan really doesn't have anything to say, and instead just bent to the cries of fans wanting more of a favorite character. That would even be forgivable if the story weren't hobbled by the flashbacks.

And there was Netflix with a tractor trailer full of money to greenlight it. Netflix is terrible because it exists to give fans what they want, but the truth is fans don't know what they want and shouldn't be listened to in any capacity.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wouldn't say that. Netflix has a lot of great originals.

The way their shows are designed at the outset is to make Venn diagrams of fans. "These people like this movie, and they also like this kind of music and these types of leads! Boom, show!" This conceit is why 1st seasons can be reasonably good, but there are majorly diminished returns over time.

They also spread themselves very thin, high concept Netflix originals look very cheap especially compared to Amazon/HBO/Disney+ or hell even Hulu. Sure, everyone tries to make something for a particular audience, but Netflix more than anyone in the history of storytelling integrates data collected from what you stream to showcraft. All I can see when I watch Netflix shows is this process of carefully weighed decisions and I think it's boring.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 14, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I don’t really think of Netflix shows as anymore targeted and focused than all other TV. Netflix just seems to have been throwing as much at the wall as they can and renewing what sticks. An issue though is their conditions for renewing a show are unfair. It’s not based on how many people complete a season, but rather how many complete a season within like a month of its premiere. Which makes it harder for them to become a sleeper hit and sometimes they don’t promote them enough or the algorithm screws them over.

In a way it makes sense. They don't have time to let a sleeper hit brew, the entire industry is coming for them. But on the user experience side it really does suck when that one show you like gets pulled. Everything they do is about getting you to binge watch a show that first month, that's kind of part of what I'm alluding to in my other post. Netflix shows just scream at you "YOU LIKE THIS THING YEAH?? OK. WAIT HOW ABOUT THIS THING TOO!! OK COOL YOU'RE STILL THERE" like just tell a good story drat.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 15, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Let's not forget Marie makes a point to say how crazy it is that it's only been a year. The whole series takes place one year between Walt's birthdays up to season 5. She straight up says "it's only been a year! Feels longer doesn't it :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

2 years, he has a turkey bacon birthday in the pilot and dies on his birthday but there's another birthday in there (he makes the bacon number himself bc skyler's over it at that point)

I said up to season 5 :hehe: