Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Not bad. Not amazing.

The problems that stood out most to me: As has been mentioned it wasnt exactly necessary. I was happy with the original conclusion. The pacing was weird for a Breaking Bad plot. Some of the acting stood out as really subpar for Breaking Bad.

The most interesting bits for me was the Todd stuff. I really enjoyed that poo poo and a refresher on how soulless Todd really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Durzel posted:

Chunky Todd surprised me. Unless he is getting bigger for a role I would’ve presumed he would’ve been given enough notice to lose a bit of weight before principal filming started?
Unless I'm mistaken, Plemons put on a good deal of weight for Fargo season 2 and then just hasn't lost it. Like, I think I remember one interview where he even said he didn't see any real reason to lose it. I love that guy. Chunky Jesse Plemons is adorable and it made Todd even creepier IMO, cause at times I wanted to hug him, but holy poo poo that guy.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 12, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Jesse Plemons is heavier these days, yes. More to love.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Oh man, my Hoover broke again, but Ed is making another drive to some distant reach of North America again. Maybe he had to mail something.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

massive spider posted:

Also I found a kitten behind a fridge this weekend so now I’m carrying a box with a cat tentatively named Jesse.

Now I am imagining a massive spider carrying around the husk of a kitten :(

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Edit: never mind. Tried to be funny but I'm tired and it just sounded pissy instead. Ignore me.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 15, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

massive spider posted:

Jesse is currently alive and cute as heck.

Though since I'm his captor i wonder if that makes me Walt or Todd.

Again, the username comes into play so i think it'd be Todd just by association.

More importantly, though, omg! What a precious kitty! I know this isn't the thread so I will keep it brief, but you're both lucky to have come across one another. :)

Back on topic: I hadn't rewatched Breaking Bad since the finale and revisited it after El Camino. Something about the core of El Camino is missing, and it's not Walt. I am too sleepy to really dissect and critique it right now, but when you watch the show and BCS and compare El Camino, I personally feel the latter comes out looking super weak. And it isn't the difference in format (since, as mentioned, it feels like 3 episodes taped together more than a movie), nor the fact it focuses on Jesse and not Walt or Saul. The more I think about it, the more I personally feel the movie should have been set entirely before the finale, just focusing on his captivity.

I mean, like most everyone else, I still enjoyed it, but I don't feel like it's really an important entry to the series, which is kinda a bummer.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Groovelord Neato posted:

anything compared to better call saul comes out looking weak.

This is true. I'm glad people are liking BCS more now. When i said i enjoyed it more than Breaking Bad during season 1 I got some looks from friends. Personally I find it more compelling than Breaking Bad. I get more emotionally involved.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I liked how well they showed Jesse being treated like a half-neglected pet. Todd speaks to him like he's a dog or child or something. Kept in a cage or on a leash--even if it's a proverbial one like Todd keeps him on when burying the housekeeper. Hosed down. Like, he's basically Todd's human puppy dog that he's not a good owner towards.

I am pretty sure Todd is easily one of the most psychologically damaged characters in the show. Even Tuco had his drug use to blame his rash judgement on, but Todd... he doesn't seem to have any value whatsoever for anyone's life (except his own). Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's either sociopathy or psychopathy, right?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

massive spider posted:

The terms sociopath and psychopath get muddled a lot because they’re from different disciplines, so it’s jot an either/or. But yeah he definitely has abnormally low empathy characteristic of a psychopath.

The funny thing about psychopaths is that it’s possible to be a “pro social” psychopath who intellectually understands that you’re supposed to treat people nice while lacking the gut level compassion that would otherwise make them do it without instruction, so Todd skirts that line.

Yeah, that makes sense. I had read about the pro social psychopathy stuff before. Turns out it's good for capitalists--go figure. But yeah, regardless, he definitely lacks empathy, like you said. Meanwhile, though, he seems so likeable on a surface level. Like, if you just met him at work or at a bar or something and didn't know the white supremacist stuff or his ease with murder, etc., I can easily imagine thinking he was a totally cool, albeit maybe a little slow-ish, guy. He's got a boyish charm, and it's suuuuuper creepy.

I love it (for the character).

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

oh jay posted:

I bet that's the only belt he owns, and his dad gave it to him in high school to look dressy.

I mean, there was a time before Fargo season 2 when Todd might actually need a belt.

Aw man, now even I'm doing "Jesse Plemons got chunky" jokes.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I did like the bit in the flashback about Walt assuming Jesse was a drop-out, just because before that scene, I had made the same assumption. I don't recall if they actually state during the series whether or not he graduated, and was watching the movie with a friend who also didn't recall every detail from the series. Well before the diner scene late in the movie, I remember saying to my friend, "...because I'm pretty sure Jesse had dropped out of high school years before Walt came across him again in the series premiere," or something to that effect.

E: lol, kinda beaten to it by the post before mine

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 17, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
My assumption came from knowing he wasn't a very diligent student and the fact that he had a quite real drug problem, but, like, after learning he'd graduated, I was like, "yeah, that's fair." Cause he's not a dumb character and stuff, and it's shown that he is more competent than he seemed at the start of the series, etc. As for the world not being against him: no, but I'd argue that he was very much against himself.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 17, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

No Wave posted:

oh sure it'd be easy to assume either. But I have never heard of anyone in my personal life who was from a well-off family and didnt graduate high school so the thought like didnt even occur to me.

Fair point, as well. Like I said, it definitely made sense when he said he graduated. I thought it was funny cause his response to Walt also worked as one toward me for making that false assumption, hahaha.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Jesse Plemons owns and Vince Gilligan was lucky to get him to do this at any weight because he gives far and away the best performance in the movie

Agreed. Plus, I personally wasn't that thrown by the weight difference, because I've gotten used to Plemons's new appearance. Yeah, it's kinda a funny continuity issue, but I don't think it actually detracts from anything in the least

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Rewatching Dead Freight, and I'm pretty sure they recast the spider for El Camino. Bet the original spider was hard to work with on set. Maybe several of its eyes kept looking at the camera and ruining the scenes.

(For the record, I don't actually know if they're different spiders. Just the one in Dead Freight looks bigger than I remember the one in El Camino being.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A modern tragedy for sure.

Seriously. I hate spiders.

Also, I wasn't criticizing anything or whatever. Just an observation paired with a joke.