Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I liked it. Sure it's "unnecessary," so is all art and media. It was an enjoyable two-hour fugitive story, a return to a world that I like and a character that I like, better written and shot and acted than 90% of TV.

The one thing that threw me was I really expected the letter at the end to be for Drew Sharp's parents. His death is the final straw for Jesse finally pulling away from Walt, it's made very clear in season 5 that it continually haunts him, and as far as his parents know he's still missing and might be alive somewhere. I thought Jesse would want to give them some kind of closure. (Not sure how you tactfully explain that you can't tell them where the body's buried, though...)

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm with you 100% and that's absolutely the proper read on this, but initially, when I was watching it and didn't know the FBI guys were bullshit, I picked up on the lieutenant line, thinking it was code to alert the other officer that poo poo is hosed. I had thought that maybe neither of them were that rank and using that was their code for 'I'm acting natural, but calling for genuine help at the same time'.

I also assumed this, and then even after they tie Jesse up I thought they were still cops but were not actually meant to be there and were hunting for the money to keep to themselves, which is why the mustache guy flips out and says "what the gently caress are we going to do now?" Because if they were actually cops, whoops, you just caught the fugitive everybody's looking for in a sealed crime scene you weren't supposed to be in. It's not a big deal at all if you're actually criminals, the answer is "leave him there tied up." You don't even need to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's set during 2008, this is also heavily indicated when Jesse is in the car listening to the radio and the news is saying that the American and European stock markets have seen massive drops.

The original iphone was out just before this period so smartphones were in their relative infancy. They weren't ubiquitous for a couple of years yet.

It's at least 2012. In season 5 Jack mentions doing the prison job is harder than killing Bin Laden, who died May 2011. That doesn't mean it's 2011 but it does mean it isn't any earlier than that, and Walt's time in New Hampshire is clearly over winter. This also means that even though the show premiered in 2008 or whatever it was, it fictionally begins in at least 2010, since seasons 1-5a are a single year.

/nerdalert

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

How so? The pilot episode doesn't have a dateline of "Albuquerque, September 2008." Jack's reference to Bin Laden's death is the one and only reference point to an actual real timeline event that can pin the show down to anything.

Speaking of time, loving hell: Aaron Paul turned 40 this year, which makes me feel old. Meanwhile Jesse Plemons is 31 and looks like absolute poo poo.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Vince can say what he wants, I'm going to interpret the text on its own :colbert:

Sinteres posted:

If we were going to get a flashback with a love interest, I can't help thinking something with Andrea would have been more meaningful than bringing back Jane.

Agreed. Though I always thought it was weird, and evidence they were writing the show on the fly (not that there's anything wrong with that), that Jesse starts out exploiting her to sell drugs to her and then really quickly comes to treat her as his beloved one and only.

More egregious was Mike, in his final moments, having a go at Walt and accusing him of killing Gus because of his "pride." It was because Gus was planning to off him, which in turn was because he had Gale killed, which he did to protect himself and also Jesse... the person Mike now cares about! The whole rift stemmed from Jesse, not Walt.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Didn't Walt take care of that loose end?

Not that I recall. He didn't give a poo poo.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

massive spider posted:

That’s Mikes bias in how much he haaaates Walt though. Yeah technically it was Jesse who caused the gently caress up but it was a convoluted series of events and you know mike blames Walt somehow.

This is why I think (even though Fring is great and the storyline is ultimately great) season 4 is probably the comparatively weakest of the series, because the whole "Mike grooms Jesse into being on-side and then Walt poisons Brock to somehow trick him back" story is really convoluted in its twists and turns. The finale of season 3 by comparison is almost perfect in its chess endgame simplicity. I also remember being really pleased when season 5 wiped the slate clean from Fring and the superlab and chucked them back into this smaller, more personalised operation where they have to improvise more. Season 3 and 4 kind of blur together to me into being set in the same repetitive environment of the superlab.

Having said that, the Better Call Saul season that basically follows all the complex logistics of Mike and Fring building the superlab is great, and all the more so because the entire time we know Walt and Jesse eventually just burn it to the ground.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also would anything actually link Jesse to the welding shop? He threatens the three survivors but I figured word would leak out because the sex workers were there earlier that night (and would then see on the news that two guys got shot and then the place burned down), but then it occurred to me prostitution is probably illegal in New Mexico so they wouldn't say anything to the cops. But depending on how much physical evidence was left post-fire, his grandfather's Luger would have a pretty unique ballistic signature. Though I guess it doesn't really matter because it's not like he could be any more wanted than he already is.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I started googling to see whether that would actually be the case if the bodies were inside a structure and the explosions were outside it, but now I'm thinking I don't want to end up on a watchlist.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

When he got to the welding truck and Kandy smirks about wondering if he was going to remember him (and there's that super brief flashback where you can't really make out what's happening) I thought he was going to turn out to have been one of Jesse's torturers, what with the scars on his back. Which I think would have been better.

Also looking at the way Todd treats Jesse in this (and mostly how he treats Jesse in s5), it makes me think it was the other Nazis that conducted the torture and Todd didn't really participate. Like, he just doesn't seem to have any sadism inside him, he just lacks empathy and doesn't understand that what he does is hurtful. Even going all the way back to after they dispose of Drew Sharp's body, and he goes outside and makes a random comment to Jesse who decks him, he doesn't have any grasp of why he's done something wrong or why Jesse would be angry with him.

Cojawfee posted:

Todd would be stupid enough to put LoJack on the car he uses to drive to a compound where he keeps a slave that makes drugs.

Yup. The slave he wants to be friends with, because he doesn't quite grasp why the slave would be upset with him.

I loved that line about the cleaning lady's murder, "don't make me feel worse about it than I already do." He clearly doesn't feel anything at all, but has learned that this is the sort of thing you're supposed to say.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

My favourite part of the Walt flashback was the deadpan "it's like I'm with Sinatra." I remember rewatching a handful of early episodes years ago (before the show wrapped I think) and had forgotten how flat-out funny the first two seasons are in a ludicrous black comedy sort of way. Before it descends into a yawning pit of dark, evil misery in the last few seasons. It always still has its comedic moments, but even the gore and horror of the early seasons was played off in a sort of wacky way which eventually disappears.

Which sort of chimes into what Walt is saying to Jesse in that scene, about how he didn't have to wait his whole life to do something amazing. Things haven't gotten so bad yet, it still feels more like an adventure than a nightmare.

Last Chance posted:

I think the flashback's supposed to take place after season two's "4 Days Out," where they're stuck in the desert in the RV, which was when Jesse learned that Walt had cancer. That was a rare, brief window of time where Jesse actually cared about Walt and before he'd hosed over Jesse too much. 4 Days Out is also one of my favorite episodes

It's also because Jesse nursed his aunt, who he had a better relationship with than his parents, through cancer. It was even lung cancer, I think.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

A quick perusal of the Wikipedia page shows that this was something Gilligan was keen on doing for ages - and he shopped it to Netflix, not the other way round. I don't know why people are so keen to believe that it must have been purely financially motivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What show's Cranston on? I thought he'd moved on to film and theatre work.