Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Human Crouton posted:

I liked it. I would have loved it if they had left out the flashbacks and the Jane ghost at the end. I would have preferred Jesse's road to freedom be filled with more puzzles and nonsense instead of filling in gaps that didn't need to be filled.

Life Advice From Janes Past did seem pretty unnecessary yeah but it was nice to see her again even if only for a minute.

Otherwise it felt like a really great big ol red "FINISHED" stamp on the series to me, I really enjoyed it! A good epilogue to some of the best TV to be shown in many years. Even though it has simultaneously been many years since it was shown, it's still real drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, Ricky Hitler was so awesome in this lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just love him putting the belt on after taking it from the lady's neck, with the implication being that he strangled this woman like an hour ago and this is actually the second time today he has put this belt on #justtoddthings

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If Lydia were still trying to take advantage of Todd, she would probably react to his home exactly like Jesse did. "Wooww.. Very... Pastel", uncertain stutter and all.

Edit: speaking of Lydia, I found myself laughing at the random rear end confirmation that yes she did in fact die like Walt planned, as if there was any contention of her surviving being poisoned with ricin. :allears:

I get why thread consensus has tended toward El Camino being unnecessary, but to me it felt like a personal project of Vince's to tie up as many remaining ambiguities as possible in the most Breaking Bad way possible, and I think he pulled it off. Yes yes the truck full of Netflix money helped, but I'm willing to call this little epilogue an extension of the show because that's just what it felt like.

After letting it marinate in my head for a while, I think I agree that it is a very self-indulgent piece of film, but imo it's not over-indulgent, which would be much worse. It toes the line in a way I wouldn't exactly call graceful what with the flashbacks to pre-Season-5 just being simple jump cuts, but El Camino wasn't any worse than Breaking Bad the show and also didn't screw with any of its story or characterization and that's the best I think we could have hoped for.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 16, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nail Rat posted:

You need 50x the ricin to kill someone by ingestion vs inhaling, do confirmation is nice. It's not like Walt has never gotten something like this wrong before (the mustard gas not killing Domingo for example).

edit: also a lethal dose, if treated, is usually survivable. I mean it's the safe assumption she died for dramatic reasons but the little radio thing doesn't hurt.

Fair enough, I just found it funny how it was so out of nowhere. "Hey viewer Lydia did in fact die, alright moving on".

Groovelord Neato posted:

was wild hearing her real accent recently. i never would've guessed she wasn't american.

Yeah it was a real Christian-Bale-interview moment for me too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All I wanna know is, did they actually get pizza

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doltos posted:

Just watched this kinda felt empty like nothing really happened. The bad guys came in halfway through the movie and didn't really make sense. They just let Jesse go with 330k dollars? Why not just knock him out? So many flashbacks that split the direction of the movie. They both showcased the torture Jesse went through in his captivity and the device that drove the plot forward for him finding the money to disappear. It's weird like I was more interested in the Jesse/Fat Damon interaction B plot than what was actually going on in A plot but the B plot felt like unnecessary filler that could have just been extra scenes in the final season. Was this supposed to just be a collection of deleted scenes or did they film all this after BB?

I agree, it kinda felt like there was no antagonist for 99% of it and then they threw one in at the end because I guess every story needs a bad guy. I kinda liked when there wasn't one though, Jesse dealing with his own demons and paranoia was much more interesting than the traditional fugitive thriller story it settled into. And yeah I agree that Jesse/Toddy's scenes were the highlight, the rest of it was good but they definitely stand out.

edit: Also, maybe I missed it or it's from the original series and I forgot, but did they ever mention how/why Todd's car got marked? Maybe they did bring it up and I memory holed it but it feels a bit convenient that the tracker didn't start trackin' until Jesse was ready to leave anyway.

edit again: Never mind, I guess Todd himself put a LoJack tracker on the car and the cops activated it? Just insurance he didn't end up needing I guess?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 17, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean Jesse explains very succinctly why Kandy should (and eventually did) let him go, because he could just shout HEY BITCH or w/e and sink the entire ship taking them down with him now that he knows the two dudes aren't really cops. It's not real easy to silently take out a person when all you have is two guns and your fists and no element of surprise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stairmaster posted:

I don't want to alarm you all but we also got older too

The difference is I'm not supposed to be the same age I was 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean would it really have been that hard to just film the entire series start to finish in the spawn of like a few months just so that all the actors would appear the same age for the next decade? Come on now, I'm not even a TV director and I could've put that together.