Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. It's not incredible, and not really a movie, but it is essentially three really good episodes. It's more of exactly what I've come to expect from Vince Gilligan & co - great cinematography, great tension, great character writing, and some dark humor thrown in, and I'll never say no to that. It's "unnecessary" in that what the resolution for Jesse is pretty much what everyone envisioned for him or wanted for him all along, but I think they were wise to stick with that and give his character arc finite closure.

I can't remember... was it ever established that Jesse actually completed high school before this new Walt flashback? It felt like a loose end they were tying up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently Vince stated that you could enjoy this without having seen Breaking Bad? No way would anyone care about what's happening in it otherwise.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

massive spider posted:

In the interview I read he said the exact opposite: they considered putting lots of catch-up moments for people who hadn’t seen BB then thought gently caress em. Series

Oh, disregard then. I shouldn’t listen to my friend (he gets his info from reddit).

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don’t really think of Netflix shows as anymore targeted and focused than all other TV. Netflix just seems to have been throwing as much at the wall as they can and renewing what sticks. An issue though is their conditions for renewing a show are unfair. It’s not based on how many people complete a season, but rather how many complete a season within like a month of its premiere. Which makes it harder for them to become a sleeper hit and sometimes they don’t promote them enough or the algorithm screws them over.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ruddiger posted:

Best part was Walt forgetting he was at Jesse’s graduation and thought he was a dropout.

I asked this earlier in the thread but didn't get an answer - was it ever established prior to this that Jesse actually completed high school? I genuinely can't recall, and this exchange felt like the writers feeling the need to clarify it to the audience.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
BCS is very good, and much moreso than BB it creates extreme tension out of subtle nuances in interactions between characters. It's also packed to the brim with great cinematography and slow, deliberate scenes where not a whole lot happens but it's still interesting and you're on the edge of your seat. My one big complaint about BCS is that it was originally very much it's own thing but has morphed more and more into the Breaking Bad Fanservice Hour. Mike and Jimmy (Saul) get equal parts airtime, with some leftover for the Salamoncas. Even after four seasons, their storylines are barely tied together at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

The slowness of BCS sucks when you're watching it as it airs because, not only do you have to wait a week or even months for the next installment, you have no idea if it will keep going. I'm constantly worried that AMC will decide they don't want to do it anymore before the story is finished. So I enjoy the slow burn but I'm also thinking "you might want to hurry this along before the show gets cancelled and there's no conclusion". Once they finish this story and it ends on its own, I'll be able to watch it again and just enjoy it knowing that it doesn't just cut off.

Yeah that's another thing - BCS is very much a show that works better as a binge watch. When you watch the episodes week to week, it feels like not enough happens in each episode and that they're wasting lots of time. When you binge the episodes, it does not feel this way.