Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I'm sure someone in this thread has already said this but I think the better story would have skipped the messy transition and started with Jessie already in the minivan heading to his new life and going from there. It might have actually justified it's own existence that way instead of being another lowbrow nostalgia wank. I guess that might have stolen thunder from Better Call Saul's present day storyline.

edit:The superior title would have been a reference to Robert Forster's minivan.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Nail Rat posted:

Spoilers in case anybody gets upset about hearing about what's *not* in the movie I guess

My personal headcanon, as I'm sure people are sick of reading on in BCS threads, was that Saul was going to come back and legalese Jesse out of everything and that would be a resolution for both of them, so I'm disappointed that's squashed forever. Realistically at least in the Breaking Bad world the evidence against Jesse was tenuous at best especially as there's clear evidence he was imprisoned and being forced to work against his will. And the "confession" tape he made at Hank's would get thrown out at hyperspeed for a number of reasons. *Something* is going to happen with Gene in BCS where he gets sick of hiding and I don't know what now.

That exact thought went through my head when he gave up the gun to the fake cops(neonazi leftovers?). Besides probably being a gaping plot hole, that would have been saved for a better call saul finale.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 12, 2019

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
What I was hoping for myself was a story that transcended the base "what happened to this beloved character after the ending" motivation that afflicted JK Rowling, didn't get that.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Gorn Myson posted:

"Unnecessary but very good" my first impression, but having thought about it a little bit more it gives Jesse the same sense of closure that Walter got in "Felina", which feels appropriate given that they were the two main characters.

That would be true if we had gotten to see an extended autopsy and embalming montage in addition to Walt's corpse releasing several postmortem farts.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, you know he's not walking out of there alive. The circumstances are just details. And actually the way everyone died right off except the four most important characters actually stretches believability even for this show IMO.

Walt and Jessie reconciled, Jessie was shown to be free and have a chance at a new life, those were worthwhile character beats. The problem was again, this El Camino movie just went backwards and moved to the same exact same spot as the series finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

It is sometimes jarring to remember that BB is the show that from season 3 on made every death feel weighty and important, while the first 2 seasons had bathtub goop and cholos getting stuffed under cars in junkyards for Hank to take selfies with. With which for Hank to take selfies.

As amazing a stretch of television 3-5B were there was something special about season 1 and 2 that was lost, a certain down to earth charm(well up until the plane crash), or maybe it was replacing the RV with the static set of the superlab.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 20, 2019