Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardFireworks
Sep 24, 2019
I enjoyed El Camino for what it was (the cinematography and performances were both excellent) but it definitely seemed superfluous in a way that Better Call Saul doesn't.

I feel like a more satisfying present day narrative would have been to have Jesse already in Alaska trying to adjust to normal life and seeing the full effects of what happened to him psychologically play out, with the flashbacks being to the escape from ABQ rather than to more Todd. You could still have the emotional resolution come with him sending the letter to Brock, as the fact that he couldn't say goodbye would have weighed on him and would be holding him back from embracing his new life.

The most compelling parts were the little glimpses of the PTSD that Jesse was struggling with, which seemed to melt away for a more perfunctory action / revenge story in the second half. The confrontation with the antagonist seemed unearned and unnecessary. I remember in the commentary for the final episode Gilligan said that once he dealt with Todd, Jesse was done with killing and deserved to move on, so ending with a contrived Western gun fight and an explosion didn't sit well with me.

I did really enjoy the Mike cameo and the two little BCS cameos - in the first news broadcast there is the DA that Jimmy sends the Huell letters to, and the bouncer with the sex workers was one of the bodyguards that Squat Cobbler hires along with Mike. The Walt cameo didn't really add much in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU