Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I liked it. Jesse was definitely a “loose end” story wise at the end of Breaking Bad that didn’t NEED to be tied up, but whatever. I got to spend two more entertaining, well-acted, well-written, well-shot hours with the most interesting character left alive after Felina who didn’t end up with his own show. It was sorta like Rogue One. We know the rebels are gonna get the plans, but seeing how it happens is cool.

It wasn’t perfect, and it wasn’t anywhere near as good as the best of the BrBa universe, but it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting and it was never ever boring or bad, although I did cringe a little at Old Joe doing his impression of Jesse shouting “MAGNETS.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Takes No Damage posted:

Best explanation I can come up with is the same kind of visual moviemaking thing that makes them keep using flipphones in the late 'aughts.

I agree about the lighter, but the flip phones are because they’re drug dealers and they use burners.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Aardark posted:

A burner can be any cheap phone without a contract. They use flip phones specifically because it's better visually (they can be slammed shut when someone is angry, or easily torn in half when you want to show someone disposing of the phone).

You can throw an iPhone in anger or smash it with a hammer if you need to destroy it. My point is that in 2008/9 I don’t think there was any such thing as a burner iPhone, and if there was I’m pretty sure Jesse et al would be smart enough not to use one. Maybe I don’t fully understand the ins and outs of burner phones, but it also makes a lot more sense to me that they would spend 20ish dollars on flippers than, I dunno, 500 on a phone that at the time was an attention-grabbing status symbol.

The flip phones make sense for the story/time AND they’re more visually engaging. It can be both.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

I do like that they kept the trope of Jesse as a guy who makes some pretty obvious mistakes (as a contrast to the supergenius types like Walt, Gus, Hank, Mike, etc.) - not recognizing the guy who built his cage seems like a pretty big oops

Nah that made sense to me. When you finally see him in the flashback he looks different enough and I can certainly believe that Jesse is in a distracted enough headspace in that moment to not commit his face to memory. Not being able to tell that they weren’t really cops until they’d already gotten him over a barrel was worse imo

Karmine fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2019

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Action Serious posted:

Walt was likely suspected of murdering two DEA agents at that point since nobody knew about Jack and crew. Jesse wasn’t even officially in the system of that point and probably didn’t come up until Marie had calmed down enough to tell what she knew.

The DEA and Albuquerque PD knew that Jesse was involved in the Heisenberg stuff, so once Heisenberg’s identity is public knowledge, and especially after Heisenberg is found dead in a meth lab, Jesse is the only person they can nail for the enormous wave of criminal activity over the past two years. Plus he’s most likely a chief suspect (and definitely a person of interest) in Walt’s death.

That said, I do think that 1. The disappearer is good enough at what he does and 2. Haines, Alaska is remote enough that Jesse should be fine as long as he doesn’t do anything stupid.

e: I can’t remember, do the cops know that Jesse was being held by the Nazis or do they just want him because they know he knows stuff about Walt?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

Point stands that Saul absolutely should not have a job in a loving mall, he's the hottest of them all. He's had his face on commercials and billboards for years not that far away! A moustache doesn't erase that.

You’re absolutely right but Jimmy getting busted (or at least giving himself debilitating anxiety) because he was just really attached to his Cinnabon idea sounds exactly like the risktaking character we’ve come to know over the course of BCS.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

You know, you're exactly right. I guess Ed isn't big on the whole constructive criticism thing.

I can absolutely picture a scene (that now we’ll never get :() where Ed is telling Saul that it’s a bad idea and Saul persisting and Ed quickly giving up by way of “all right I’ve already got your money do whatever you want you dumbass.”

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Action Serious posted:

The cops know nothing about Jack.

Not when Walt is first outed as Heisenberg, true, but I’m taking about afterward when Jack is just one dead nazi in a pile of dead nazis and the cops are raiding their meth lab/nazi compound. Did they know that Jesse was the one cooking and living in the hole or would they have assumed it was Walt or some third party?

It doesn’t really matter too much in terms of the overall narrative but one of the things I enjoyed most about Breaking Bad was watching Hank and his people try to figure out what was going on when the audience already knew the answers to all of his questions. I could have used some more DEA/APD/FBI stuff in El Camino, but obviously the whole point of the story is that the main character is trying to avoid those people so it makes sense not to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

For a good moment or so I thought Jesse's reaction of revulsion was to the weird rear end picnic table in the kitchen.

Same, to the point where I wonder if that was the intention.

Also, just to sorta play devil’s advocate, the radio only said that Lydia was “not expected to survive” and yeah the ricin has been set up as basically the most lethal thing in the world since season 2, but it is a very Vince Gillian type of thing to leave it ever so slightly ambiguous. That said, if they ever do some sort of sequel or whatever where Lydia has miraculously survived, that’s kind of a huge shark jump for me and for a showrunner and a show universe that lasts nine seasons and a movie without any significant dip in quality, I don’t expect it.