Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm on team 'this didn't need to be made,' but I enjoyed it enough that I guess I'm glad it was. The flashbacks with Jesse Plemons were good, but I could have done without the cameos. Yeah, it was awesome to see Bryan Cranston, but it didn't really add much, and as someone who thinks Mike's been dramatically overused in BCS, I don't feel like we ever had a chance to miss him in the first place, so seeing him was just whatever. If we were going to get a flashback with a love interest, I can't help thinking something with Andrea would have been more meaningful than bringing back Jane.

I also can't help thinking Jesse would probably still get caught eventually, because they still have tv and internet in Alaska and with the scars he doesn't really have a face people are going to just look past, but imo it was clearly the right move to end on a happy note where he at least has a chance to avoid getting thrown back in a cage and murdered by Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pospysyl posted:

YMMV on that one. Like, the subplot where Jimmy gets hired by a law firm and he doesn't like it should have taken a single episode, but in BCS it takes like four. It would be like in Breaking Bad if Walt had accepted the job at Grey Matter and spent three episodes there before realizing it was a make work job to get him insurance.

They openly talked about hitting the brakes after season 1 and basically retconning the season 1 finale because they wanted to take more time getting to where they were going, and the slowness of the plot you mentioned is basically the prime example of how they overcorrected imo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I hope they end it before Mike's using a walker to get around. If we don't get to some of the later stuff, it's either because they spent too long getting there or because they had no interest in showing it--you shouldn't need more than 5 seasons to do a prequel for Breaking Bad, a show which itself had 5 seasons.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

The show is its own thing, it shouldn't be tied to BB as for when it ends. Anyway, it will need six seasons to get to about the number of episodes BB had.

I think six is the right number. I can't buy everything being wrapped up next season.

I wish it did feel more like its own thing. Like someone else said, Jimmy and Mike feel like they're on two different shows most of the time, and while I've enjoyed Saul Goodman: the Early Years for the most part (aside from thinking they slowed it down too much after the first season), I'm less interested in 'Mike introduces us to this thing we saw in Breaking Bad.' It's not even so much that I hate the idea of a sixth season from where we are today as that I think after season 1 they could have made the show in a way where we get to the finish point sooner instead of milking it. I can't help thinking dollar signs had as much to do with slowing things down as any artistic decision did, though I should say that while I think that might have made the show slightly less my thing, I don't blame anyone involved for wanting to get paid, and I still think there have been great stretches along the way.