Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Breaking Bad was really great and special but I have to say that Vince Gilligan hasn't done much... Aside from work within that specific narrative universe, adhering very specifically to a sort of... formula that has worked extremely well for him.

I'm not saying it's unoriginal. It's just that both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are unambiguously "of a piece". BCS feels like a stylistic and thematic continuation of BB, albeit with a reshuffling/recasting of heroes, antiheroes, villains, anti-villains, and so on - which keeping a few things very consistent. Visual style struck me as being just a little bit too similar, but then I still need to catch up on season 3 of BCS. I just remember watching season 1 and feeling... both a little disappointed and a little relieved that the Albuquerque of BCS was more or less identical to the one in BB, albeit the sun was a little brighter and there was more use of bright primary colors... Anyway...

El Camino has actually grown on me quite a bit more since I first saw it, in part because I went back and just... re-familiarized myself with who Jesse really was on that show. What his emotional situation really and truly was, leading up to his imprisonment. It's pretty shocking to realize just how rapidly and effectively Walter was able to manipulate him and squeeze out every last drop of spirit that he had.

Anyway, re-watching things, it's so clear that Jesse was still able to be saved from Walt all the way up to the final of Season 3, when he murders Gale. Frankly, that's what Jesse never totally recovers from, in my estimation - not even by the end of El Camino. It's not a coincidence that he forms his last real human relationships we ever see him have with others right before he kills Gale - Andrea and Brock. He doesn't form a single new relationship after that.

It's also in the latter part of Season 3 where he gives Walt that amazing "I have NEVER been so alone! I have NOTHING!" speech. I really think that might be my favorite scene between Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston, definitely my favorite Aaron Paul scene. He just NAILS that moment so hard, I think it's in the hospital after Hank assaults Jesse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU