Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Looking forward to this. This is why Bettter Call Saul has a break this year.

The Finer Arts > TV IV > El Camino: Better Call Paul

Normally I would say this sounds like a lovely cash grab and a horrible idea that will do nothing but tarnish the legacy of BB, but I also in no way believed that Saul Goodman could carry a one hour drama series and welp. At this point I'm willing to give Vince and co. the benefit of the doubt and at least be cautiously optimistic.

Most interested in how much Cranston action we're going to get via new flashbacks.

e:
Another couple of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZKqMVPlDg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBJ9JTUoPwg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

However the movie ends, I want a bonus on the Blu-Ray that's Todd in Bojack Horseman waking up and telling Bojack about the horrible nightmare he just had.

"And I was married to a hot blonde..."

So when does Netflix stuff typically drop? Midnight the day of in a particular timezone?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watched this and I'm into it. Was pretty much just a double episode of BB, which must have been really tricky and difficult to achieve after everyone's had a half decade break.

I would not have expected us to be spending most of our flashback time with Todd, I get the feeling it was some combination of his actor having the most availability and the audience knowing the least about him. In the show I can only remember one shot of his 'home' life, where it's shown that he likes to keep souvineers like the spider and the snowglobe, this expanded on him quite a bit. Of course I was waiting for Walter to show up, but what else do we really not already know about him? I am glad that his 'last' scene with Jesse was a nice, fatherly one :kiddo: Vaguely reminds me of the last thing they shot together for BB which was also a flashback to the first time they cooked in episode 1, though focused on Walt instead of Jesse.

After vacuum bro called the cops and Jesse was calling his bullshit I was totally expecting the phone to ring again in his hand with 911 calling him back, so expectations subverted there. I am unnecessarily proud of myself for immediately calling that the money was in the fridge, even before he started hitting his head on it, and that he had the smaller gun in his left hand already pointed at Kandy.

The shootout scene does stick out as weird/silly, but like someone else pointed out the room just got done doing coke off stripper tits for an hour so Kandy was probably up for anything by then. And I guess the explosion destroyed evidence? Probably just one last gently caress You from Jesse for him helping the Nazis chain him up.

And yeah bummer about Forster, the very day this gets released :(

e:

SolarFire2 posted:

I love how stupid rear end Badger and Skinny Pete blew a good chunk of the money Walt gave them on techno-chairs.

The built-in cupholders had LEDs that made their drinks glow :allears:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 12, 2019

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Durzel posted:

Didn’t expect the show to end exactly as it was building towards, with him finding the extra money he needed. Don’t know why but expected an alternative outcome, I mean it’s not like that guy is the only way that criminals can go under the radar. What did he do for Jesse exactly that he couldn’t have necessarily done himself? That said was great to see Robert Forster again (RIP).

It's never explained in any detail, but in BB he's just the magical oshit-button disappear you guy. He does seem to set people up with new identities, so untraceable anonymous witness protection is probably worth the premium for his clients. It also sounded like he was used to working smaller time than Walt and co., not guys that are the subject of international manhunts.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

My favorite dumb Todd moment as when he gestured at the semi truck to honk and it didn’t do it lmao.

Lots of little one-off visual gags around Todd, somehow he's the comic relief character in all this. Like in that scene you see him cruising down the road with the window open, jamming to some tunes, and you think 'Oh that's nice, at least Jesse gets to have this one kind of nice moment out of his cage'. But then the camera finally pans over to the empty passenger seat and lol no Todd made him lay down in the back next to a corpse the whole way.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

At one point Jesse blows his lighter out by blowing on it. Weird move but it does work I suppose.

That got a :raise: out of me as well. Like, you have to let go of the button anyway or it will just keep leaking fumes while tying up one of your hands. Best explanation I can come up with is the same kind of visual moviemaking thing that makes them keep using flipphones in the late 'aughts.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

It harkens back to when he came back to the cage to give Jesse some leftover Ben and Jerry's. He's such a hapless doofus that if he wasn't a complete sociopath of a murderer you'd expect him to be "that guy", the friend who's chill and helpful but flirts awkwardly with the ladies.

Well, it took over 5 years, but I finally just now got the joke about a bunch of Nazis bringing home a big tub of Americone Dream :downs:

CaveGrinch posted:

Yeah. Your whole supposition is wrong. It didn’t start getting popular until season three or four (and only because of Netflix) and that was never the plan.

I thought BB steadily grew in popularity, but didn't really blow up until 5B, just before which the previous seasons got dumped on Netflix all at once. So there was the combination of series-ending buzz coupled with everyone being able to binge it and watch the final 8 episodes as they aired.

Khanstant posted:

I was probably almost halfway through Departed before I realized the twist wasn't that the main dude wasn't living some kind of extreme Fight Club style double life thing and they were actually two different men.

... Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon? I know Goon Face Blindness is a thing but :stare:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I just love him putting the belt on after taking it from the lady's neck, with the implication being that he strangled this woman like an hour ago and this is actually the second time today he has put this belt on #justtoddthings

I haven't rewatched it yet, but I thought the maid's body looked pale and discolored, like she'd been dead for a while. Assuming Todd volunteered to stay behind and take care of Jesse just so he could use him to dump the body without the rest of the Nazis finding out about it, he would have had to wait until that weekend.

Come to think of it, why the gently caress did he have a maid at all? Those apartments sure didn't look nice enough to provide one, does that mean he was separately paying for a maid service to come in and clean his pimpin' bachelor pad full of murder trophies and 1.5 million in cash?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember it ever being mentioned in the show, but probably a lot of people (viewers and characters) just assume he's a dropout. We know he was a poor student and was getting busted for weed through most of his childhood. The Walt flashback was the morning after their first cook (I think) so it was probably just an easy gag about how they didn't really know each other yet and Walt was still thinking of him as his old dumb burnout student.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

It always still has its comedic moments, but even the gore and horror of the early seasons was played off in a sort of wacky way which eventually disappears.

It is sometimes jarring to remember that BB is the show that from season 3 on made every death feel weighty and important, while the first 2 seasons had bathtub goop and cholos getting stuffed under cars in junkyards for Hank to take selfies with. With which for Hank to take selfies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is totally an aside, but there is actually no problem with ending a sentence with a preposition. :eng101:

Take it from John Mcwhorter, who hosts the podcast, Lexicon Valley.

I'll take my grammar advice from from a true, verified source of worldly wisdom thankyouverymuch