Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mods, feel free to NOT move this to CD so I can discuss this upcoming NETFLIX EVENT on October 11 with my TV/IV brethren. I drove my beat-up ride all throughout this desert of a forum and I couldn't find a thread for it.

Been itching to see what happened after our boy Jesse Pinkman broke out of the skinhead Nazi compound? Will there be a connection to Better Call Saul like my wild imagination has been projecting? Ghost Mike? Ghost Walt?

We'll find out in less than two weeks.

Trailers:

Shorter, non spoilery Emmy commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7Aii1Fyq4

Full trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JLUn2DFW4w

Poster:

Breaking Bad Memorial Thread (Archived):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573751

Better Call Saul Season 4 Thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864512

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BUMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPfxMIhEUrQ

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So.... who do you think is the one asking Jesse if he's 'ready'? And what is he ready for? :ohdear:

Vacuum repair guy finally sending him off to Alaska?? Maybe.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm trying to think what loose ends there are for him to chase up and I'm coming up blank. It's edited in a way to make it look like a revenge movie but that might just be marketing.

Dunno, this is a tough one. Maybe the people Lydia was working with in the Czech Republic making a visit to see why there was radio silence in the US (because everyone was dead)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

This isn’t the case. Gilligan hasn’t really been involved in Saul post-s3 outside from directing one episode of s4, largely because he’s been working on this. The Saul delay is for separate reasons.
Source on any of this? Gilligan has been heavily involved in breaking stories in the writer’s room for season four IIRC and talked about doing so in the BCS podcast every week

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oh yeah, he's definitely "less involved" for sure, but that's different than "not really involved." Season two's the only season where Gilligan directed more than one episode. (He did two).

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I just rewatched the last few episode of Breaking Bad and I don't think I can watch this. I really don't want to revisit the misery and horror that show left off with. Jesus Christ I think the one of the scenes in the trailer is a flashback of the nazis forcing him to bury Andrea.

Nope.
Jesus, i was wondering about that part of the trailer. I kinda liked how dark things got at the end of BB, but more of it's gonna be tough

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MightyJoe36 posted:

Isn't there still like $8 million of Walt's money that the Nazis buried (or hid somewhere on the compound)?

I think it was quite a bit more than that, but i can't remember for sure. Either way, the money's gonna be pretty difficult one to find unless Jesse finds a clue somewhere since anyone who knows where the money's at is dead.

Mike N Eich posted:

It's weird. I really love Breaking Bad but I don't know how much I'm clamoring for us to return to Jesse's character. He ended up horribly traumatized, his life in shambles, but...with a little bit of ambiguous hope at the end of the show. I don't how much I really need to see him struggling to survive anymore - because as the trailer shows and what the most plausible scenario for him here on out and is on constant run from the cops and his life.

Yeah, his life is certainly is going to be rough, but I have to imagine that things will look up for Jesse in the end and maybe he gets a bit more closure than we see at the end of BB. I want to believe that Gilligan and co have a good story to tell if they're bringing him back. I was skeptical about BCS for similar reasons, but they managed to give us a really good story we never even knew we needed.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did Walt ever snitch? I can't remember anymore.

No. Unless you count the fake snitching on Hank lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Could be Jesse knows where the money is, because he probably was forced to help bury it. They were never letting him leave alive anyway.

I don't think Jack's gang was dumb enough to do that, honestly. They weren't the brightest bulbs, but letting a "rat" know where your money was hidden seems out-of-character and frankly insane for them

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This was really good. Definitely more like an epilogue than its own standalone thing and gave Jesse quite a bit more closure. Although at times it felt sorta like what a "Better Call Saul" for Jesse could have been like, but done quick.

Noticed that the trailer scene with Skinny Pete being investigated wasn't even in the final cut?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol yeah I'm trying to remember another time it would have been appropriate for the ptsd-laden main character to spout off the late night TV invented catchphrase other than in a flashback and I'm coming up blank

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

clown shoes posted:

Robert Forster has passed. This may be his last movie.

:(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Apparently Vince stated that you could enjoy this without having seen Breaking Bad? No way would anyone care about what's happening in it otherwise.

Source?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Durzel posted:

A peculiar thing I noted about Jesse’s new start was that he was left driving a car into/around Alaska. When the guy set Walt up with a new identity it was in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, with the guy resupplying him periodically, and with express instructions not to venture beyond the gate under threat of being left to fend for himself.

Jesse is as big a person of interest as Walt was, so it doesn’t seem prudent to just let him wander off wherever he wants. He didn’t even look particularly different, unlike Walt. To echo what was said above the film ended with Jesse driving away, what’s to say someone wouldn’t have identified him somewhere along his journey? That was the entire point of Walt being sequestered away.

A minor nitpick I guess.

The only reason the cleaner guy resupplied Walt was because of Walt's barrel of money. If Walt had only been able to come up with the initial fee like Jesse, I'd bet the cleaner would have left him to his own devices similar to Jesse. He even says in Granite State that the ongoing arrangement thing is unique and not something he normally does.

The fact that the cleaner told Jesse that he'd honor his deal with him means he was willing to accept the risk. Jesse was hidden in the moving van for the journey. Do you think someone on a random Alaskan highway is going to recognize him?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My favorite dumb Todd moment as when he gestured at the semi truck to honk and it didn’t do it lmao.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Lots of little one-off visual gags around Todd, somehow he's the comic relief character in all this. Like in that scene you see him cruising down the road with the window open, jamming to some tunes, and you think 'Oh that's nice, at least Jesse gets to have this one kind of nice moment out of his cage'. But then the camera finally pans over to the empty passenger seat and lol no Todd made him lay down in the back next to a corpse the whole way.

Yeah I thought about that too lol.. Also everyone else who's glad that it didn't end up being Andrea that he was burying, please raise your hand.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

e: came off insanely harsh edited out my ranting, sorry all, have a good night!!

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 13, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Also, Walt didn't go back because he had nothing else to do. He went back because, being bored, he went into town and saw on the news that there was still blue meth being made. He thought Jesse had partnered with the nazis to make more meth. If he didn't see that, he would have just gone back to his shack.

Walt went into town in an attempt to deliver money to his family. He called his son at school and when he denied him, he gave up and called the police on himself. He planned on getting caught right there in the bar.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Walrus posted:

not sure if it was a cool touch or unintentional that Forster's character charged Jesse the standard rate, even despite the hardassery. he told Walt he charges a lot more for hot clients, and Jesse was definitely hot.

Saul tells Walt that the cleaner's deluxe package for "high risk targets" is 125k, which is what I believe he charged Jesse in El Camino

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Scott Macarthur is just Jimmy to me since the first role I saw him in was in The Mick.

Me and my brother didn't notice him in the BB movie till he started getting angry and frustrated, then we caught on.

Kinda wierd moment right now since he's currently also in Rightgeous Gemstones, so it feels like I'm seeing him everywhere. I hope this is a sign of him getting lots of roles cause he's great in what I've seen him in.

I started Gemstones the day before I saw El Camino and it really threw me for a loop when the same actor was in it. He is good

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I'm way behind but he does charge Jesse 125k x2 (250k) because he bailed once, what the other poster is probably thinking of is that Walt needed money for three people the first time.

Yes, I know he charged Jesse twice. That drove the final half of the plot, thanks for letting me know though!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe don't say he charged him 125k then, because he didn't? He didn't even take the previously owed money, explicitly. He charged him 250k in one transaction.

He said he didn't intend to collect what was previously owed while Jesse was in the store (aka take the $125k and then reject the rest and reject helping him) and was gonna let him off the hook for that first failed pickup. He collected on previously owed $125k when Jesse confirmed the deal was still on. Basically this exact post:

Cojawfee posted:

What? He makes it pretty clear. He charges $125k for the first time when Jesse didn't get in the van, and $125k for the second time. When Jesse doesn't have the money for the second $125k, Ed decides to just forget the whole thing, give him all his money and send him on his way. Then Jesse goes back to his car and calls Ed back and asks if the deal is still on. Ed says it is. So Jesse gets the rest of the money he needs for the original deal. $125k for the time he bailed, and $125k for the new deal.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chadzok posted:

Wouldn't they have found Jesse's confession DVD that the Nazis held regular airings of and figured the rest out from there? They probably filmed themselves doing all sorts of depraved poo poo to him too. I don't think it would have been too hard to figure out that Walt came in to mass murder them and save Jesse (yes he probably initially intended to murder Jesse as well but that didn't end up mattering).

I doubt they would keep the tape around if they went to the trouble of breaking into a DEA agent’s house to get it. They didn’t show regular airings of it, they just showed It to Jack after they retrieved it. They were dumb but also career criminals so it’s probably gone.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

It seems that everyone knew about the cage they kept Jesse in. Multiple characters were marked on it who could’ve only heard from the Nazis who didn’t tell anyone, Jesse who they are just meeting, or the news which starts with a police press conference.

We only see the beginning of the news conference, but the questions the press ask imply that they somehow know a bit more that Ramey doesn’t want to acknowledge because the investigation is ongoing. There could be a leak or some other way the info got out to the press... because that does happen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah but I mean... the police saw jesse’s cage, his poo poo bucket, the welded thing he was attached to, his prints on the equipment, etc, Brock and Andrea’s photo hanging in the lab.

And they’re looking for a person of interest who isn’t at the scene anymore, they know Walt was there and rigged up the M60 because of prints and things. It’s not a huge leap for someone to put together that Jesse was in captivity and Walt may have tried to spring him (even if we know better and knew that wasn’t is exact intentions initially) and leak that info

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The anachronisms aren’t “fuckups.” When the actual show takes place is purposefully vague/indeterminate and like a lot of fiction: it doesn’t matter. You see years written in newspapers and other sources, but those are just props.

Nerds have a terrible time reconciling this. See also: the crazy poo poo that Harry Potter fans do to try and figure out how Harry Potter’s cousin got a PlayStation for Christmas when it wasn’t out til the year after!! Omg anachronism! Dumb.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Gilligan himself said it was an accident my guy. TV writers are imperfect, even on this show. This isn't loving Archer or Legion or whatever where they are trying to keep it out of time. It's just "the present" of when the show started and real life went faster than the plot. You are correct that it doesn't matter because if it did they probably would've cut that line, but they do make some conscious effort to keep it deliberately late 2000s.

Yeah you’re totally right about them making a conscious effort to keep the timeline in the same era, but I still hesitate to call things like the bin Laden thing a mistake if the timeline is played with a bit and isn’t 100% nailed down in the first place.

It just seems way too nit picky and as long as the internal timeline of plot events makes sense, then who gives a poo poo if we don’t see any first gen iPhones or androids floating around lol. That’s just dumb

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Marie saw Jesse’s confession video being made right? She may have relayed the Drew Sharp info

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

2 years, he has a turkey bacon birthday in the pilot and dies on his birthday but there's another birthday in there (he makes the bacon number himself bc skyler's over it at that point)

Veggie bacon

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Karmine posted:

Same, to the point where I wonder if that was the intention.

Also, just to sorta play devil’s advocate, the radio only said that Lydia was “not expected to survive” and yeah the ricin has been set up as basically the most lethal thing in the world since season 2, but it is a very Vince Gillian type of thing to leave it ever so slightly ambiguous. That said, if they ever do some sort of sequel or whatever where Lydia has miraculously survived, that’s kind of a huge shark jump for me and for a showrunner and a show universe that lasts nine seasons and a movie without any significant dip in quality, I don’t expect it.

she consumed the ricin, she’s dead

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

just when he's trying not to be shot by Jesse, he has entirely nothing to bargain with, and is offering Jesse pizza like he's trying to coax a kid to behave.

his bargaining chip was an entire gang of murderous skinheads going after Brock, a small child that Jesse cares about. Killing Todd at that moment and rescuing Brock would have been an interesting situation because he may have had enough time since they were out boating or whatever, but Jesse was so brow beaten, it probably didn’t seem realistic/worth it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming BCS season that I'm assuming is going to develop Mike's hatred for Lydia. They're cordial now, but I rewatched Dead Freight and holy poo poo, he's got an itchy trigger finger for shooting her in the head.

Unless I'm misremembering and his hatred for her solely stems from her hiring hitmen to take him out?

*hiring his own men from under him to take him out, forcing him to kill people he liked

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I totally forgot Todd had brought that threat up initially & I knew it was the reason Jesse ultimately doesn’t shoot Todd, but did Todd bring it up in that scene? I just felt like Todd was really struggling with bargaining with Jesse, and it was way more about Jesse having the internal realization that made him back down.

I don’t think Jesse nor Todd needed reminding of the stakes twice. The only reason they went outside the compound was that leverage (Brock).

Todd was probably worried for a sec, yes, but probably not too worried since he knew he had Jesse wrapped around his finger and he’d “come to his senses” at some point

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 16, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Last Chance posted:

*hiring his own men from under him to take him out, forcing him to kill people he liked

Also I think just having someone put a hit on you might be like a big deal or something and just because you defeated one assassin doesn’t mean she won’t hire another one at some point, and there’s like one way to ensure that doesn’t happen again. :blastu:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Couple of other subtle Todd's-not-a-real-boy moments that I liked in Breaking Bad:

- Todd recounts the train heist to his crew in great detail but leaves out the part where he shoots a kid in the head and says it went off without a hitch

- After Walt's murder machine gun device tears up his crew, his uncle, and his life essentially, all he can do is peek over the window and stare in wonder as he utters "Jesus! ... Mr. White!" Yes, he's still calling the guy who murdered everyone around him "Mr. White"

D'aww!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I think that worked really well. Even for me, the dunce who never even thought about Jesse's high school grad status before the film. I went through the whole spectrum of "Yeah, getting his GED would have been good he musta not graduated, wait he graduated? Walt forgot? LOL"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bryan Cranston’s bald cap was really distracting in that flashback scene tho

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Did he shoot Drew in the head? I always thought it was a chest shot. Doesn't really matter either way, of course.

Also, in the moments right after the M60 mows everyone down and everything is absolutely chaotic, I would never have bet on Todd of all people immediately putting together who was responsible for what. He's probably in the middle of putting the pieces together when Jesse chokes him.

Could be that he wasn't shot in the head, I think they purposefully made it less graphic than other deaths since it was a child so it wasn't 1000% clear/I might be misremembering

Also IIRC, I think the last thing Todd saw was Walt's car with a machine gun sticking out of it, so I don't think it was too crazy for him to put together those pieces

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mike was such a great character, I'm glad we got another Mike/Jesse scene. I love BCS and his interactions with Lydia, Saul, his family etc. but it's not quite the same as seeing him genuinely care for Jesse. Those moments were always so good and well-developed.

You can tell he gradually understood and liked Jesse a lot more as the series progressed in a way that made sense.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Maytag posted:

The Walt flashback showed Jesse legitimately caring for him (eat food drink water your family will get money) more clearly than I remember seeing it in the series, thus explaining a bit more why he stuck with Walt long enough to get in too deep.

I think the flashback's supposed to take place after season two's "4 Days Out," where they're stuck in the desert in the RV, which was when Jesse learned that Walt had cancer. That was a rare, brief window of time where Jesse actually cared about Walt and before he'd hosed over Jesse too much. 4 Days Out is also one of my favorite episodes

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I was gonna make a post similar to this one, but apparently Jesse learns Walt has cancer earlier in "Crazy Handful of Nothin'". BUT he does think that Walt's condition is actively getting worse in "4 Days Out" because he's coughing up blood and Walt is ranting about how he deserves everything bad that's happening to him for the lies he's told his family. So you're still correct about it being probably the height of Jesse's empathy towards Walt.

That moment we see in the diner is also probably the last moment where Walt has a chance to truly put the brakes on everything. They have more than $1 million of meth in the RV to split between them, he could have let Jesse handle the business side of it from there and stepped away to focus on spending time with his family. It's weird, the scene seemed almost gratuitous while watching El Camino, like they just wanted to have a Walt cameo. But the more I think about it, the more that scene really is a pivotal moment in their relationship.

Ohhh right, yes, Jesse did learn about it sooner from the dots on Walt’s chest. It was during a cook too, which musta confused me.