Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Van Dis posted:

Woof. I was apprehensive about this going in and those concerns seem to have been well-placed. El Camino is about as utilitarian as storytelling in the BB universe gets. It's well-shot but not particularly well-crafted.

But the story never justifies itself. How Jesse eludes capture, finds an emergency fund, and gets to Alaska is only interesting as a process and not because it's saying anything particularly coherent or even notable about the character or the themes of BB. It's a straightforward outlaw survival story, intercut with flashbacks. For as deftly as they're cut into Jesse's ongoing narrative, the flashbacks are narratively super clunky. I can understand using them to add some context for viewers not familiar with BB, but apparently that's not at all what Gilligan was going for. Generally, the flashbacks interrupt the pacing of Jesse's story and defuse tension rather than heighten it. Their inclusion feels like a big misstep. Too much time is spent with Todd; we know he's a psychopath and we learn nothing new about his character. Worst of all, the flashback with Kandy is just about the least graceful way to turn him into the movie's final antagonist. Nothing at all would have been lost if he and Jesse had no prior connection.
Agree with all of this. I liked Kandy and the skinny red haired guy, they were fun characters but they were also, like, nobody. The whole thing felt like fanservice and if I liked Jesse more maybe that would be enough.

Like in the last ep of BB we see Jesse chained and all hosed up and it's economically made very clear that he had a bad time. Then we spend an hour of this movie watching him have a bad time, and its basically about as bad as we were expecting.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Their season 1s can be great, before there are fans. HoC and OitNB tanked faster than any other show I've seen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think that show is for boomers. Overserious period pieces about stuff they vagurly remember from their childhood is like crack to them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I thought the way Kandy was trying to resolve the situation was way too aggressive for a policeman and thought it was just a contrivance, but once they started to tie him up I was sure.

I really liked those actors, hope to see them again somewhere.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jesse Plemons is 5'10? Why did BB make me think he's 6'4?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I guess by BB standards 5'10 is actually rather tall. I looked up all the main cast and Cranston is the tallest at 5'11 (he always looked large in the show now I know why I guess). Badger is legit tall tho he actually is 6'4.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

thing is I don't even remember why Mike was mad, it's still one of my favorite scenes because the resolution is so dang funny. Walt apologizing to Mike in the weirdest way while revealing that Mike is dying for no reason because he can get the names from Lydia. "aw, jeez, I'm sorry Mike!"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I always liked Lydia. Great character with no slow boring scenes.

Todd's apartment wasnt so bad. Ok the park bench was bad but it otherwise looked comfortable enough.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 16, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That scene was good in the sense I totally understood why Jesse did not shoot him. Scenes like that are almost always aggravating and stupid but I was 100% sympathetic to Jesse on giving the gun away. What if it was unloaded? What hell would he end up going through? It was so much safer to give it away.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'd always assumed he graduated. Its not like the world was against him. He's not anti social guy he probably had friends and stuff in HS so like why leave?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 17, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

oh sure it'd be easy to assume either. But I have never heard of anyone in my personal life who was from a well-off family and didnt graduate high school so the thought like didnt even occur to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I only ever really enjoyed Mike with Walt tbh (havent seen the scenes where he's complaining about Lydia in BCS but it sounds promising). Someone who's decided he's a bad person dealing with someone so much worse was such a good dynamic.