Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Chunky Todd surprised me. Unless he is getting bigger for a role I would’ve presumed he would’ve been given enough notice to lose a bit of weight before principal filming started? Not a huge deal but took me out of it a bit, as did Mike’s teenager comment to an obviously 40 odd Jesse.

Didn’t expect the show to end exactly as it was building towards, with him finding the extra money he needed. Don’t know why but expected an alternative outcome, I mean it’s not like that guy is the only way that criminals can go under the radar. What did he do for Jesse exactly that he couldn’t have necessarily done himself? That said was great to see Robert Forster again (RIP).

The analogy about whipped cream about covers it for me. Unnecessary, but I’m going to enjoy it if it’s there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

0 rows returned posted:

I liked it, it wasnt surprising but it was decent enough for something that was much smaller scale than how breaking bad ended up. It's fitting that Jesse's main antagonist wouldn't be some gang or anything above street level, just some rear end in a top hat vulture he crossed paths with.
Well, everyone else who could reasonably be considered an antagonist from the BB universe was dead. The way they did it was pretty clever, lesser shows would’ve introduced Tuco’s long lost never previously spoken about step brother to avenge his family! But those welding guys were a good fit. It was important to see that the head guy knew about Jesse’s imprisonment, of course.

Maytag posted:

Unnecessary for you doesn't make it unnecessary for others. Cool, you didn't need more. Jesse deserved a little more closure than he got in the series, but cramming it into the show would have really lessened the terrible beauty of Walt's end.
We saw Jesse driving away, free from imprisonment and in a car heading somewhere. That’s pretty much the go to metaphor in cinema for someone going off to live the rest of their life somewhere free of everything that happened before.

We didn’t need to have Jesse’s next steps spelled out. There’s numerous examples of shows and films where the finale leaves character endings ambiguous. The audience is free to make up their own head canon about what happened. There’s also the “always leave them wanting more” maxim.

That said, it’s always a pleasure to watch Vince Gilligan’s work, and I wasn’t disappointed by it. It just wasn’t necessary.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

A peculiar thing I noted about Jesse’s new start was that he was left driving a car into/around Alaska. When the guy set Walt up with a new identity it was in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, with the guy resupplying him periodically, and with express instructions not to venture beyond the gate under threat of being left to fend for himself.

Jesse is as big a person of interest as Walt was, so it doesn’t seem prudent to just let him wander off wherever he wants. He didn’t even look particularly different, unlike Walt. To echo what was said above the film ended with Jesse driving away, what’s to say someone wouldn’t have identified him somewhere along his journey? That was the entire point of Walt being sequestered away.

A minor nitpick I guess.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Van Dis posted:

But the story never justifies itself. How Jesse eludes capture, finds an emergency fund, and gets to Alaska is only interesting as a process and not because it's saying anything particularly coherent or even notable about the character or the themes of BB. It's a straightforward outlaw survival story, intercut with flashbacks. For as deftly as they're cut into Jesse's ongoing narrative, the flashbacks are narratively super clunky. I can understand using them to add some context for viewers not familiar with BB, but apparently that's not at all what Gilligan was going for. Generally, the flashbacks interrupt the pacing of Jesse's story and defuse tension rather than heighten it. Their inclusion feels like a big misstep. Too much time is spent with Todd; we know he's a psychopath and we learn nothing new about his character. Worst of all, the flashback with Kandy is just about the least graceful way to turn him into the movie's final antagonist. Nothing at all would have been lost if he and Jesse had no prior connection.
The problem with not establishing Kandy as being aware of Jesse's enslavement is that when it comes to Jesse killing him it becomes tough to empathise when he would just be some guy that Jesse is robbing. But that establishment also heavily foreshadows that he's going to get his comeuppance too, so it diminishes the story on both ends.

I tend to think that the story in its fundamentally flawed for the reasons you've mentioned, it's purely procedural and the flashbacks don't advance the story or give us any addtional characterisation that we don't already know. Part of that is a consequence of the fact that Breaking Bad was ended in a deliberate fashion - everyone in Jesse's orbit that could reasonably be considered an antagonist is dead, so what's left? Avoiding the Police.

I enjoyed the scene with Walter White, but it was purely in a remote "omg he really is in it" sense. It didn't add anything to the story, or develop anything or anyone and as you say arguably interrupted the pacing.

It really had a "deleted scenes" assembly cut feel about it, and the ending where Jesse drives off with his new identity is essentially the ending of Breaking Bad. We don't learn anything new about him, we have no indication that he has found a way to come to terms with the grief from previous events (a key theme in the show), and the Police are still looking for him and presumably will continue to do so. He has just as much risk of being noticed as he always did. Did he really need to spend $250k on the cleaner guy to drive him to Alaska and get him some fake ID?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

He is also in The Irishman so maybe it suited Scorsese that he stay like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

It's crazy how often Walt gets enough money to let his family live comfortably but then just goes and fucks it all up again.
I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really.. I was alive.