Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang, that sucks about Robert Forster, I always enjoyed his characters in things.

Overall, I would say I enjoyed watching this. It didn't add much to the story, but it was nice to see the characters again. But those PTSD flashbacks hit really hard.

Edit: Man I'm really bummed out now. I guess the combo of what happens in the movie plus this Robert Forster news.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think him being in his new life would have done anything different. I think this move will probably work better on people who haven't seen Breaking Bad yet. They'll go through the seasons on Netflix and then it will tell them there's a movie and it will continue on from where they just left off. It will look weird because everyone is older and fatter, but it might work better. We're seeing this of waiting for five years and coming up with all kinds of theories about what might have happened. So it will never be as good as what you thought up yourself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if there's really anything else they can show for Jesse. Aside from him meeting Dexter or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Without this movie, the most likely outcome of the series is that Jesse gets caught. He has no money or anything, several people involved in the show said they hoped he made it to Alaska but he probably ended up in prison. If you accept that, this movie actually is necessary if the intended ending for him is actually getting that fresh start.

I agree. This movie kicks the can a bit further down the road to push it more in the direction of "Jesse got away" but is still ambiguous. Maybe he could get caught someday in the future, but this makes it a lot more likely that he can lay low.

Also, it seemed to fit that whatever nazi guy it was getting the rail installed was the type of rear end in a top hat who has no idea what he's talking about but tries to talk to an expert like he knows more. "I want more of them fish plates"

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 12, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The whole "Saul sees Jesse was arrested and comes out of hiding to defend him" plot idea was dumb as gently caress and was never going to happen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

My favorite little detail was Todd just casually putting the belt back on after he unwraps it from the cleaning woman's neck.

Everything Todd did was at the same time insane and dumb as hell. Not dumb as in bad, as in he's stupid as gently caress. "She doesn't even speak English, so I don't know what she would be looking up. Maybe M for Mexico."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not sure what you're talking about. A few seconds into the scene where they show up as cops, I knew he was Scott MacArthur and didn't see any scenes where it was confusing who he was.

Also, Walt didn't go back because he had nothing else to do. He went back because, being bored, he went into town and saw on the news that there was still blue meth being made. He thought Jesse had partnered with the nazis to make more meth. If he didn't see that, he would have just gone back to his shack.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are several generic white guys where you could make a movie where you randomly swap them out to play the main character and no one would ever notice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe don't say he charged him 125k then, because he didn't? He didn't even take the previously owed money, explicitly. He charged him 250k in one transaction.

What? He makes it pretty clear. He charges $125k for the first time when Jesse didn't get in the van, and $125k for the second time. When Jesse doesn't have the money for the second $125k, Ed decides to just forget the whole thing, give him all his money and send him on his way. Then Jesse goes back to his car and calls Ed back and asks if the deal is still on. Ed says it is. So Jesse gets the rest of the money he needs for the original deal. $125k for the time he bailed, and $125k for the new deal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
More puzzles? Like a Sphynx on the road?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's what I assumed at first as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like shows like that because I like history. But I'm not exactly clamoring for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's a shame we didn't get a scene where Jesse goes to Los Pollos Hermanos and gets valuable life advice from Gus.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesse's friends were playing an Xbox One game going by the controllers.

Those are 360 controllers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ugh, now I'm remembering Walt Jr. pouting because he wants real bacon. Thanks thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Todd would be stupid enough to put LoJack on the car he uses to drive to a compound where he keeps a slave that makes drugs.

Also, I don't really think Kandy was a major antagonist any more than Ed was. He and Jesse start off working against each other until Jesse tells him where the money is and, after a minor conflict, they both leave amicably. Then later, Jesse goes there to ask for a small amount of money which ends with Jesse killing him. Yeah, he's an antagonist, but he's not the overall villain of the movie. He's just another hurdle Jesse has to get over on his journey to freedom. Not every story needs a big V Villain for the protagonist to battle against. If anything, the villain of this movie is just the mountain of bullshit that Jesse has to get over in order to free himself. it's a combination of his flashbacks to his terrible treatment, Kandy being an rear end in a top hat, and Ed being a stickler for details.

I'm sure someone will write some paper in their English or film study class where they compare this movie to some greek classic tale where Jesse first receives aid from his comrades who immediately disappear and then Jesse battles alone against whatever blah blah, he wins in the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The moral of breaking bad is to always say where you are going. Jesse said he'd go to Alaska, and he did. Saul said he'd end up in Nebraska, and he did. Mike never said where he was going, and he died. Walt never said where he was going and he died.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's crazy how often Walt gets enough money to let his family live comfortably but then just goes and fucks it all up again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
While normally I would say "it's an animal, it probably died." Apparently tarantulas can live for 10-20 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One good thing about this movie is that it should stop all the theories that Jesse is going to show up at the end of better call Saul.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The slowness of BCS sucks when you're watching it as it airs because, not only do you have to wait a week or even months for the next installment, you have no idea if it will keep going. I'm constantly worried that AMC will decide they don't want to do it anymore before the story is finished. So I enjoy the slow burn but I'm also thinking "you might want to hurry this along before the show gets cancelled and there's no conclusion". Once they finish this story and it ends on its own, I'll be able to watch it again and just enjoy it knowing that it doesn't just cut off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just saying that you think Netflix would pick something up doesn't mean it would happen. Netflix was the global distributor for The Expanse, and they passed on picking that up. There are plenty of shows that people like that they were sure Netflix would be stupid to pass on and then Netflix passed on them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

Not sure if that's the best example; Amazon has it.

It's a great example. Syfy didn't want to make it anymore. Alcon went to Netflix, Netflix said no and it was cancelled. They had also gone to Amazon who also said no. After a fan campaign to save it, Amazon changed their mind and picked it up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

the actors have definitely aged but i don't think six years is enough to turn them all into completely different people. you can easily look past that. but i had trouble with Cranston's bald cap. i think it would have been a lot better if he'd shaved his head.

I'm sure the other show he's on would appreciate him shaving his head to play a role in one scene. Though it could lead to a weird scene like in Doctor Who where both actors in the scene had shaved their heads for other roles and had to have wigs styled like their real hair to play their characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Something called Your Honor. IMDB lists it as 2019, but it doesn't look like it has even started production yet. So maybe he just didn't want to shave his head for no reason.