Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
why does there need to be beef for it to be intentional headhunting :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
anyone have a gif of the Barnett play? I missed the first bit of the game

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

guys going down getting blasted rarely get calls for targeting going their way. i wish they called it like college though. or even like the nhl where injuries are automatic penalties.

if refs thought he could hear the whistle then it'd be unnecessary roughness

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The 7th Guest posted:

if nick foles was still in philly would he be safe or would it be like that one time travel theory, and he'd still get injured

It'd be like Jojo, where he would be sitting on the bench reading the playbook and suddenly his collarbone would snap.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I have to ask everyone to stop trolling about headhunting on that play. It's clear what happened, and there's no need to antagonize the people who think otherwise, which is very clearly what you're doing

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
it's a simple thing to coach players out of headhunting, leading with their heads, and/or into avoiding helmet collisions. might require a lot of repetition, but it's not impossible.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Vengarr posted:

Look, what do you think is more likely:

A. A player with no prior history decides to annihilate a player on a team he has no beef with by running face-first into him

or

B. He didn't hear the whistle

That's my stance.

Sorry man a guy earholing another player to the point that the announcers are commenting on it isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt especially when that was the second of three delibetate headshots by the Eagles

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

indigi posted:

a20 angle

https://twitter.com/BarstoolsTweets/status/1177381665695551488

scuz posted:

it's a simple thing to coach players out of headhunting, leading with their heads, and/or into avoiding helmet collisions. might require a lot of repetition, but it's not impossible.

this isn't a coaching issue unless you're attributing it to schwartz encouraging dirty plays

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

indigi posted:

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1177381355061202944?s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

guys going down getting blasted rarely get calls for targeting going their way. i wish they called it like college though. or even like the nhl where injuries are automatic penalties.

I mean that's a pretty bad way to do it too. Sometimes poo poo happens on a clean play, and sometimes the dirtiest plays don't end up with an injury.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

like you can literally see Fletcher Cox raise his arms there going "What the gently caress man" and giving Barnett a talk-to after the play

Arguing against this just reveals you to be the meathead

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

lotta pearl clutching over some good hard honest football played the way God intended

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I mean that's a pretty bad way to do it too. Sometimes poo poo happens on a clean play, and sometimes the dirtiest plays don't end up with an injury.

in football there's plenty of "don't do that" type penalties though. touching qbs on the helmet, illegal contact, chop blocks, the bodyweight rule, have all led to marginal calls. in college you can get called for targeting without even hitting a guy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SKULL.GIF posted:

like you can literally see Fletcher Cox raise his arms there going "What the gently caress man" and giving Barnett a talk-to after the play

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah but the guy giving credence to joe and troy is right for the wrong reasons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah that's a dirty play. an ejection was probably in order

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

in football there's plenty of "don't do that" type penalties though. touching qbs on the helmet, illegal contact, chop blocks, the bodyweight rule, have all led to marginal calls. in college you can get called for targeting without even hitting a guy.

I'm ok with the college rules, I was specifically talking about the NHL part there.

Although I suppose the NFL already has a wheel of justice for Goodell things so they could incorporate the Shanahan wheel of justice or whoever is doing that now pretty easily.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

hifi posted:

Yeah, I don't know if it was headhunting but whatever the gently caress he was doing there should be punished pretty harshly. Maybe it was just a stupid mistake but really he ought to be ejected on the spot to go ponder why it was so dumb to do.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Worth mentioning this followed a pretty nasty uncalled helmet to helmet on the punt on the previous play

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because he came in way too late and too low.

I stand by my position that it was a bad play but not intentional.

For reference/comparison, here is that old Trevathan hit. Lowers the head and launches the crown of his head into the guys face. Coincidentally, also TNF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC9yYkgXX30&t=91s

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 27, 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah fletcher cox looked pissed. why did barnett do that other than to just get a cheap shot in. if anything, going at him from that angle would have helped push him forward, what a dumbass

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I was reading the thread thinking "why is everyone so pissed at Barnett" cause I hadn't seen that play. intentional or not you gotta be ejected for that poo poo. intentionality only factors into whether he should be suspended or not

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

indigi posted:

I was reading the thread thinking "why is everyone so pissed at Barnett" cause I hadn't seen that play. intentional or not you gotta be ejected for that poo poo. intentionality only factors into whether he should be suspended or not

I can get behind that. Targeting ejections is the only way to get it out of the game. 15-yard penalties don't mean poo poo.

I actually thought Trevathan had been ejected for his hit and was shocked to re-discover that he wasn't. That was about the dirtiest hit that season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Derek Barnett is a good person who made a bad decision in the heat of the moment.

If he has to eat a 1 game suspension at least the Eagles have the Jets up next.