Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

univbee posted:

At least paying the sub will be easier than ever.

https://twitter.com/spiderspierre/status/1194621686135631872

Gonna be great when you get banned from your checking account for spamming emotes/tea bagging some one in a FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Video encoding involves all sorts of fuckery and when you're talking about low-latency streaming that fucks with things even further because your options are much more limited (you can't exactly do 2-pass encoding with a livestream, or anything that's time consuming to encode).

On a super-simple level you get 1 full frame every X number of frames (I frame), followed by frames that are just differential data (P frames) and require the previous frames to rebuild. This makes the signal only work well one way (forwards), and is why rewinding a DVD or Blu-ray can be more fucky than fast forwarding one. There are also B frames which can use future frames as well as previous ones for extra efficiency, but obviously you can't use these with a latency-sensitive stream.

Further compression of these frames are possible using the techniques you have with JPEGs and the like.

The modern x265 compression system is extremely efficient especially for low bitrates and for streaming, provided you have the hardware to deal with it, which 4K-capable devices do. It would definitely be feasible to make the 30fps streaming extra efficient as a result, especially since, presumably, the fact that it's working at 30fps would be a known thing on the system level so a different streaming mode that works better would be activated, for example.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BexGu posted:

Gonna be great when you get banned from your checking account for spamming emotes/tea bagging some one in a FPS.

Yeah let me move my bank account to a company that can't maintain a chat app for more than 2 years

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Wheany posted:

Yeah let me move my bank account to a company that can't maintain a chat app for more than 2 years

Banking is a relatively low-impact venture for rich companies. You can't fail when the U.S. will make you richer for failing.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's ok the algorithm will reject you anyway if you're a minority or a woman.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BexGu posted:

That emote spamming autoban thing over on Youtube is loving ridiculous.

The worst is, if you use SSO, any accounts tied to yours would be hosed too. So if you're loving up on Youtube on your personal account, while also signed in with your company Gmail account, it'll ban that also. And I think people even claimed that because it's on the organizational account now, it'll crawl the whole directory and suspend them all, too.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Tetrabor posted:

Banking is a relatively low-impact venture for rich companies. You can't fail when the U.S. will make you richer for failing.

You can't fail, but you can get scroogled

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Combat Pretzel posted:

That emote spamming autoban thing over on Youtube is loving ridiculous.

The worst is, if you use SSO, any accounts tied to yours would be hosed too. So if you're loving up on Youtube on your personal account, while also signed in with your company Gmail account, it'll ban that also. And I think people even claimed that because it's on the organizational account now, it'll crawl the whole directory and suspend them all, too.

We are an advanced technological company with a pulse on the gamer market. We understand video games and know what they want!

*Bans twitch chat*

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

univbee posted:

At least paying the sub will be easier than ever.

I'm calling it now, the future will be you subscribing to a big company for all of your salary and they take care of everything for you. They'll upgrade your phone every x years, give you a car/riding service, food service that delivers groceries every week, internet access, file your taxes, put you in a rental or put down a loan for a house. Everything will be either Google Lifestyle, Amazon Living, or iLive.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shadowlz posted:

I'm calling it now, the future will be you subscribing to a big company for all of your salary and they take care of everything for you. They'll upgrade your phone every x years, give you a car/riding service, food service that delivers groceries every week, internet access, file your taxes, put you in a rental or put down a loan for a house. Everything will be either Google Lifestyle, Amazon Living, or iLive.

Hell yeah, can't wait for Google Scrip.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Tonight on Fox: Communism through capitalism, is it bad?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

univbee posted:

Hell yeah, can't wait for Google Scrip.

Hundreds of families, and thousands of always online hopefuls upend their lives and move across the country to participate in Google's new economy. The service is sunset when a power struggle in Mountain View sees the promotion of the executive in charge of Chrome Chits.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Shadowlz posted:

I was driving around an airport a few days ago in the descent path and had an Amazon Prime Jetliner go right overhead and I immediately got "B&L!" from Wall-E vibes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Stadia team are getting bodied on Reddit right now. The launch of this thing is gonna make the Epic Store look fully featured.
https://twitter.com/russellholly/status/1194695197235568641
https://twitter.com/russellholly/status/1194700535728918535

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Shadowlz posted:

Ha ha, Amazon is already there . Work at the Amazon warehouse so you can afford your prime membership to buy goods from Amazon.com, food from Whole Foods/Prime Now/The new Amazon food store, and get the no deductibles Amazon Healthcare (Haven Healthcare).

Google just does everything to keep your at the office (if you are the right employee).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

njsykora posted:

Stadia team are getting bodied on Reddit right now. The launch of this thing is gonna make the Epic Store look fully featured.
That really sounds half-assed. I sure hope Youtube Music isn't the leading example of an update cadence.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

BexGu posted:

Ha ha, Amazon is already there . Work at the Amazon warehouse so you can afford your prime membership to buy goods from Amazon.com, food from Whole Foods/Prime Now/The new Amazon food store, and get the no deductibles Amazon Healthcare (Haven Healthcare).

Google just does everything to keep your at the office (if you are the right employee).

That's not fair!

No self-respecting Whole Foods would let riffraff who make warehouse wages shop there.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

BexGu posted:

Have you heard of google's 'sidewalk labs' ?

I did a lot of work for them a couple of years ago. they're trying to go all in with 350 acres from the get go.
it's amazing and also somewhat terrifying. but yes, they can afford to pay people $400k+ when pretty much all expenses that person has on food, transport and shelter ends up back in googles pocket. we're really not far from domed cities where the rate of inflation within them makes current day san fransisco seem benign.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 13, 2019

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shadowlz posted:

You should watch the movie "Sorry to Bother You"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think Stadia is going to eat massive amounts of poo poo but the streaming service business model is probably gonna stick around for a while. The video game industry has done a drat good job of fighting back against the concept of used games, so why wouldn't they want people to have access to games while not actually owning them?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Shadowlz posted:

You will have a System Identification Number, through which corps will verify your identity. As long as you have a valid SIN, you'll have housing, healthcare and a modicum of spending rights.

Some, though, will be fired, and/or made unemployable: they will end up forming their own illegal no-rights society, they will be the SINless.

Btw, is Bezos Lofwyr?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

https://twitter.com/russellholly/status/1194695197235568641
https://twitter.com/russellholly/status/1194700535728918535

Not sure how google isn't getting that people have a different quality standard of things they have to pay for vs things they get for free. For most of their recent existence google has been coasting over the lowest bar.

Anyways here's more good news!
Stadia launch dev: Game makers are worried “Google is just going to cancel it”

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Please don't eat up all the servers so I can play Just Dance.

4 awards from ilikefastinternet

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh yeah, hasn't Just Dance been a remote game of sorts for years now, due to its Just Dance Unlimited sub that gives you full access to the back catalog over the internet?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Internet hype is hilarious. It starts to smell of Star Citizen.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cubicle gangster posted:

I did a lot of work for them a couple of years ago. they're trying to go all in with 350 acres from the get go.
it's amazing and also somewhat terrifying. but yes, they can afford to pay people $400k+ when pretty much all expenses that person has on food, transport and shelter ends up back in googles pocket. we're really not far from domed cities where the rate of inflation within them makes current day san fransisco seem benign.

ah boooooo your forum acct is too closely tied to your professional career or I'd be begging you to head on over to the Toronto LAN thread and start dishing poo poo on that project

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Yo Esram, you need to upgrade your nickname to 4K Game Streaming, and put again the evangelion av.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Internet hype is hilarious. It starts to smell of Star Citizen.

oh dear let's not say things we can't take back

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

limaCAT posted:

Yo Esram, you need to upgrade your nickname to 4K Game Streaming, and put again the evangelion av.

lmao agreed

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

cubicle gangster posted:

I guess you gotta do something to avoid the street poo poo/bums/1.5h commute for the joy of living in San Fran.

Oh god, this is why they are creating Stadia now. Stadia would actually work in the Google DomeCity with a high speed wired connection built every where and 5G towers at every lamppost. Stadia was never meant for the commoners.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BexGu posted:

I guess you gotta do something to avoid the street poo poo/bums/1.5h commute for the joy of living in San Fran.

Oh god, this is why they are creating Stadia now. Stadia would actually work in the Google DomeCity with a high speed wired connection built every where and 5G towers at every lamppost. Stadia was never meant for the commoners.

I mean you're not wrong, most people can't buy one on this "launch" even if they wanted to

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

bring back old gbs posted:

ah boooooo your forum acct is too closely tied to your professional career or I'd be begging you to head on over to the Toronto LAN thread and start dishing poo poo on that project

For what it's worth, we were working on stuff that went beyond the few acres in Toronto - lots of stuff on the building techniques, services, scalability, automation etc. I don't know specifics about their short term plans.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So which one of you absolute idiots bought this thing?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
me

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thread

https://twitter.com/russellholly/status/1194984141575663616

It's not even playable

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean you're not wrong, most people can't buy one on this "launch" even if they wanted to

Look at this person who believe in the outdated concept of "buy" and "owning" items and goods. Its subscriptions now till the end of time.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I mean, no poo poo, but at least xCloud is (presumably) just a complement to a service that also allows you to download games locally

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Why are gamers so bad at this?

This is the reason why companies get away with bullshit like this.

Just. Wait. Until. Its. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Extra Large Marge posted:

You should watch the movie "Sorry to Bother You"

Everyone should. It's a great movie