Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lmfao @ stanning for something as new and untested as this before it's even released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Question: what's it like these days to play multiplayer or online-live-server type games on a cell connection? I know fortnight and pubg etc have cellphone versions, but are they still a much better experience with a wifi connection instead of relying on the cell data? And if you ignore the specific cellphone games and tried to play real fortnight or destiny 2 or whatever on a PC via tethered data, how would that go?

I'm very out of touch with that stuff, all I know is that back in earlier 3G days people who used cell data tether had to avoid very fast games, you could do WoW or stuff but playing an FPS was pretty frustrating. The latency wasn't consistent. So I kinda still look at this and am not at all shocked because anything more complicated than hearthstone on a cell seems ambitious. And that's with a real game, not cloud streaming!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It really depends. Latency is always higher than with a wired connection on LTE (and how high depends on the specifics - with Carrier Aggregation, for example, latency is a bit higher but throughput is better), but it's certainly playable. You'll experience some packet loss and lag spikes.

I found Call of Duty to be pretty playable on LTE, with a dedicated Huawei B715 LTE router that uses 3CA. Battlefield would complain about jitter and packet loss, but was playable as well. Playstation Now latency was noticeably higher (unusably high) than with a wired DOCSIS connection.

It's not an amazing experience due to the variability, but it can do in a pinch.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 14, 2019

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

It's not even playable

Imagine my surprise

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao @ stanning for something as new and untested as this before it's even released.

...and made by google, which can't maintain a loving chat app for 2 years.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Or revamp their music service in a timely and orderly fashion.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Or revamp their music service in a timely and orderly fashion.

YouTube Music is enormous garbage. I switched over from Spotify to try it - the selection is paltry, and almost all playlists are simply YouTube playlists, where people have collected and uploaded music at lovely quality. Or whole albums in a single video. It's really sad this is what one of the biggest software companies can manage to put up against a pretty small competitor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's frustrating is that the newest iteration of Youtube Music, which is supposed to replace Google Play Music, launched near end of May 2018, which is almost 1.5 years ago (!), and still isn't even remotely on par feature-wise with the competition, nevermind GPM. Then again, the presumably same team also region locked a majority of the countries on the world out of most of the discovery features in GPM (and still does), after they integrated Songza, and felt this wasn't a big deal or necessary to fix.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Psh, Youtube music? I'm still mad about Google loving Reader.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Psh, Youtube music? I'm still mad about Google loving Reader.

Reader I could forgive. Inbox I can't.

Eurogamer subtitled its article about this shitshow "Ok, Google" :iceburn:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The saddest intern job

https://twitter.com/Win98Tech/status/1194785972032069638

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I've been pretty sure google whichever PR firm google is paying to promote stadia has deployed some "organic grassroots viral marketing" to the stadia reddit.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I'm not optimistic enough to believe those memes aren't just blind devotion from the reddit fandom.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Klyith posted:

I've been pretty sure google whichever PR firm google is paying to promote stadia has deployed some "organic grassroots viral marketing" to the stadia reddit.

Whatever the specifics I am greatly enjoying the out of step marketing efforts which have been pushing ads and whatnot at me to celebrate the launch while the actual launch project managers are setting expectations and assuring people their editions will ship eventually.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

gschmidl posted:

Reader I could forgive. Inbox I can't.

Eurogamer subtitled its article about this shitshow "Ok, Google" :iceburn:

link pls

Also, wtf is "Stream Connect" and "Crowd Play". "State Share" I assume is the bit where you share save states between users? We almost need a glossary of terms in the OP or something.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-be-involved-in

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

quote:

"You know what? Here's a crazy idea. Let me personally deliver one," he offered during the AMA. "If you are in the Bay area and you are ok with me coming to your house at 9:00am on the 19th please DM me with your pre-order number, I'll pick one person based on order received and how close you are to my house and drop by on my way to work, bring your order and we can even play your first game together! WDYT?"

lmao what?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

wow thanks brand, you're so down to earth, haha! what a crazy idea, brand!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Google has this ability to hire and brainwash true believers in its workers. Like that dude really, really believes in Stradia.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I know two things about working for Google.

1. Many people at Google sincerely believe in the company and the mission and that it is a good place to work for people who want to do good things.

2. They are in a constant state of re-orgs. I have a colleague that I keep in touch with every month or so. In the two years that we've been in touch, there have been two calls where they weren't in the process of either adjusting to a new boss or anticipating an upcoming change. Another colleague who works there told me they've never had a supervisor for longer than 6 months.

e: Wait, I know a third thing.

3. I'm still mad about Google Reader.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 15, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Barry Convex posted:

I mean, no poo poo, but at least xCloud is (presumably) just a complement to a service that also allows you to download games locally

They announced at XO19 yesterday that xCloud will be integrated into Game Pass next year, presumably killing Stadia to death before it even launches.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

doingitwrong posted:

3. I'm still mad about Google Reader.

They should launch Google Reader as a Stadia exclusive. Would get me to subscribe.

"Thanks to the power of the cloud, we're now able to process more than 40 feeds at the same time!"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
embargos lift on monday for how this thing works

going to guess the verdict will be "trash"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Probably more like tap dancing on egg shells around the glaring issues.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Don't expect anyone to say poo poo about it prerelease lest they get a Google drone murdering them in their sleep

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lambert posted:

YouTube Music is enormous garbage. I switched over from Spotify to try it - the selection is paltry, and almost all playlists are simply YouTube playlists, where people have collected and uploaded music at lovely quality. Or whole albums in a single video. It's really sad this is what one of the biggest software companies can manage to put up against a pretty small competitor.

I work in software, and it is really common to see big companies try to get involved because they see the dollar signs, only to flame out later because even for Google, a successful product takes a lot of hard work.

A big thing I see a lot is this attitude of "how tough can it be, we're Amazon or Google," and then it turns out that you still have to competently manage the product, and you're competing in a difficult and mature market place.

Sometimes, they pitch solutions to problems that don't exist, or they'll make claims that don't make sense. They don't understand the market they are trying to enter, and so they put out a subpar product that gets forgotten about in two years.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
on the other hand Google fucks up plenty of easy poo poo all the time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

leftist heap posted:

on the other hand Google fucks up plenty of easy poo poo all the time

Building on this, if they didnt have a monopoly in the ad space some of their inexplicable product changes would have sunk them a while ago.

Edit: I truly believe Google as a business is in a race with ABT because if any one of those can get a solution that gets a foothold outside of China their revenue will implode in a way most people cant fathom. Its a race to keep locking those three out because no way China lets google in.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 16, 2019

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cemetry Gator posted:

I work in software, and it is really common to see big companies try to get involved because they see the dollar signs, only to flame out later because even for Google, a successful product takes a lot of hard work.

A big thing I see a lot is this attitude of "how tough can it be, we're Amazon or Google," and then it turns out that you still have to competently manage the product, and you're competing in a difficult and mature market place.

Sometimes, they pitch solutions to problems that don't exist, or they'll make claims that don't make sense. They don't understand the market they are trying to enter, and so they put out a subpar product that gets forgotten about in two years.

Like a decade ago I thought google is "the cool tech company" and whatever market they entered, well RIP the existing competeitors. Now I think "Just wait it out. In 2 years google will lose interest"

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

doingitwrong posted:

2. They are in a constant state of re-orgs. I have a colleague that I keep in touch with every month or so. In the two years that we've been in touch, there have been two calls where they weren't in the process of either adjusting to a new boss or anticipating an upcoming change. Another colleague who works there told me they've never had a supervisor for longer than 6 months.

This.
I bet the people who started the Stadia initiative were big believers in cloud gaming. Those guys are long gone. The ones in charge now aren't incompetent, they simply don't give a poo poo and just want it to go away.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, isn't the way to forward your career inside Google to launch something somewhat successfully (meaning not falling flat on its face), then get promoted to a new project, because being stuck on an existing project is largely a dead-end? Unless you're a rockstar developer on a prestige object? Which is what, anyway? Search, AI and Android?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Quantum computers could probably also be a prestige project of sorts.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Combat Pretzel posted:

Search, AI and Android?

Ads

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its ads.

Seriously look at Google's most recent quartely financials. 15% of their revenue was literally everything that wasnt ads. So thats their entire hardware, android, server, and software businesses. If youre curious, no they dont break out which is which because its probably embarrassing to them as they try to pivot.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
YouTube for Google is not a video hosting service, but an advertisement delivery service. That's why content creators are constantly at odds with them. For Google, videos are what you watch in between ads.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
There are ads on youtube?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pi Hole and Ublock, hooray!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Barudak posted:

Its ads.

Seriously look at Google's most recent quartely financials. 15% of their revenue was literally everything that wasnt ads. So thats their entire hardware, android, server, and software businesses. If youre curious, no they dont break out which is which because its probably embarrassing to them as they try to pivot.

Ads is what makes them money, but whether ads have cultural prestige within google is another question. I rather suspect it doesn't, and that the guy who makes an AI play starcraft gets faster promotion than the guy who comes up with a way to show 2% more ads to the youtube audience. Google exists on advertising but recognizes that ads are uncool (and maybe deep down knows that unchecked advertising based on automated psych evaluations of people's weaknesses is evil).

So if for example Stadia is super successful in terms of becoming a big seller with a big user base, the people on the team get prestige even if it doesn't make any money. Google can always monetize it later, possibly by inventing an AI that inserts ads into loading screens.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Soricidus posted:

They're why the content creators all start squirming before talking about NordVPN, Skillshare, or Curiosity Stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Soricidus posted:

I mean, if AdBlocker crashes, then yes.

Or when I watch on my PS4.

I really hated Grammarly.

Grammerly on the other hand...