Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i'm going to start up an "eat the rich" business

take blood donations from old rich people, and inject it into avocado toast for poor millennials to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Thundercracker posted:

I really never understood who Juicero was marketed towards. Like the segment of people who really care about juice, but wouldn't make their own must be tiny. Like a large part of being a juice weirdo is eating disorder level of control over your food, which goes against the whole idea of buying bags of processed juice goo.

Stadia, at least makes sense if dubious.

The best part of Juicers is that actively removing the pulp will make that poo poo ten times worse for them. Fruit juice is literally sugar with a few extra vitamins in it.

Actually, that describes Stadia accurately, removing legal possession of a game from the user so they can get hosed and have no legal recourse if the system shuts down.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
stadia is not a digital service for gamers, but a juicero for google to squeeze the money of the consumer's pulp

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Stadia is really interesting and on a long enough timeline where enough people have good internet this is the future, but holy loving lol they actually want you to straight up buy full price games what the gently caress

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
You need good internet and to be close to the data centers, so, unless the future is google gaming data centers everywhere, I fail to see how that's the direction we're going to.

Subscription based, but you download the encrypted game to your pc or videogame (like the xbox, EA and ubisoft game pass) is the most viable technically and still does what they want: "you only play our games while paying us"

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i can't wait to use my stadia with my reliable high speed internet provided by comcast

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I also think it’s amusing that Google, a company with an infinite amount of money, didn’t bankroll some AAAA+++ game with better graphics than any consumer PC or console can manage in order to push this thing. That’s the one thing that a streaming device could reasonably push that a real console couldn’t: leverage massive rendering power to power games that you couldn’t otherwise have. But no, instead they’re just doing 8K or whatever which no one gives a single poo poo about.

In other words lmao

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pathos posted:

I also think it’s amusing that Google, a company with an infinite amount of money, didn’t bankroll some AAAA+++ game with better graphics than any consumer PC or console can manage in order to push this thing. That’s the one thing that a streaming device could reasonably push that a real console couldn’t: leverage massive rendering power to power games that you couldn’t otherwise have. But no, instead they’re just doing 8K or whatever which no one gives a single poo poo about.

In other words lmao

Either that or something that would make current hardware choke and die, like 1000-player open world games or whatever. Or both!

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
A next-gen MMO would have been a perfect failure for the system.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

nightwisher posted:

there will be no crossplay between stadia and non-stadia titles

they’ve not said that have they?

They are PC versions that will be run, I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to play with other PC users.

Not that I think the system will work well, latency is going to destroy the whole thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Latency to the streaming servers, then latency to the actual game servers. :allears:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Looking forward to playing Destiny 2 with the five other people who bought it on Stadia, all of whom are attempting to play on their smartphone screen over shoddy wifi. The future is now!

e: Bungie, funnily enough, won't say why Stadia players can't play with everyone else, but it's pretty obvious that it's because it's going to be a laggy, unreliable mess and they want to keep the digital lepers away from everyone else.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 29, 2019

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

This looks like a really cool service and I'm looking forward to checking it out for free, because why the hell wouldn't I, you bunch of sourpusses. With your "it's so obvious that..." and "they'll never do x" fortune telling horseshit. I wanna play AAA games on my lovely laptop on the porch and I dont give a poo poo about latency or bandwidth and neither does anyone else.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

DebonaireD posted:

This looks like a really cool service and I'm looking forward to checking it out for free, because why the hell wouldn't I, you bunch of sourpusses. With your "it's so obvious that..." and "they'll never do x" fortune telling horseshit. I wanna play AAA games on my lovely laptop on the porch and I dont give a poo poo about latency or bandwidth and neither does anyone else.

there arent any free games on it though

also you kinda need to give a poo poo about latency and bandwidth because if you have bad latency and bandwidth you'll get a blurry mess with horrific input lag and nothing will be playable

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Bardeh posted:

there arent any free games on it though

also you kinda need to give a poo poo about latency and bandwidth because if you have bad latency and bandwidth you'll get a blurry mess with horrific input lag and nothing will be playable

I'm glad I've never had to give a poo poo about either of those things. Looks like this is just the thing for me, and anyone else living remotely near civilization!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DebonaireD posted:

I'm glad I've never had to give a poo poo about either of those things. Looks like this is just the thing for me, and anyone else living remotely near civilization!

Not all of us make the sort of money google shills do, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Funso Banjo posted:

they’ve not said that have they?

They are PC versions that will be run, I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to play with other PC users.

Not that I think the system will work well, latency is going to destroy the whole thing.

They said Destiny 2 will only play with other stadia users. So yea it's a safe assumption.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DebonaireD posted:

There are people living in the heart of new York city that dont have internet, let alone good internet.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
With cloud computing the money you save on hardware is spent on network and compute subscriptions. Any bottleneck or issue you have is pretty much going to be network related. If that pays off for you, go for it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

I literally have Google Fiber in one of the not-quite-entire-handful of municipalities to not get screwed out of Google's halfassed stab at being an ISP and Stadia would still have too much latency to game on, also go gently caress yourself.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gschmidl posted:

Either that or something that would make current hardware choke and die, like 1000-player open world games or whatever. Or both!

There might be some dabbling with this, actually, although nothing at the AAA level that we know of yet. Like Football Manager is apparently going to process league poo poo faster on the Stadia version and stuff like that.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

Not all of us make the sort of money google shills do, though.

It is wild that you think that google would pay people to post in this forsaken, howling wasteland.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

DebonaireD posted:

I'm glad I've never had to give a poo poo about either of those things.

Yeah, running poo poo locally does make them matter significantly less!

Are you under the impression that this is the first of its kind or something? Streaming game services like this have been available for years and Google isn't proposing some vastly different approach than the rest of them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DebonaireD posted:

Even if you live in an area where the internet is up to par with the system demands, people have reported latency problems. In fact, people have reported notable hiccups at official demos. Perfect conditions still aren't good enough to be reliable here.

But let's put that aside. Stadia means that you pay full price for a game you can't mod, that you can't access when the servers are down, and that costs you a monthly fee on top of that. It's more money for less, and even in a world of perfect wifi, most of its advantages disappear if you have a good gaming computer.

We don't live in that world. This is a bad idea, and anyone who can't understand that on looking at the details has a very odd view of the world.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

gschmidl posted:

I've read that one before. What exactly is so magical to whatever hardware Google would be using, that this would be possible over there but not locally on your own PC?

--edit: I mean, I'm probably spoiled by having a :pcgaming: gamer PC :pcgaming: type contraption, but large battles is more of a CPU issue, and unless your system or even laptop is from the stone age, I doubt it'll be that much of an issue. On the graphical side, that's why there's detail sliders and LOD.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 30, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've read that one before. What exactly is so magical to whatever hardware Google would be using, that this would be possible over there but not locally on your own PC?

The ability to briefly pull a poo poo ton of power for a particular instance. Of course there’s nothing technically stopping this from being done similarly in current mmo’s or existing always-online games.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
google is the big gay lol

oh poo poo the cops are he

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

univbee posted:

The ability to briefly pull a poo poo ton of power for a particular instance.
Sounds like instances on a hypervisor with a fat CPU. If said CPU isn't statically partitioned, it'll gently caress with the other instances. Not fond of that idea either.

Wasn't it like something about four GPUs per rig?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm going to go ahead and say that adding more players to a single instance of an online game won't make for better games

Andrast fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 30, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DebonaireD posted:

It is wild that you think that google would pay people to post in this forsaken, howling wasteland.

They've spent money on stupider things, for example Google Stadia.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

DebonaireD posted:

I too am looking forward to check it out for free when it's loving available on PC without spending a billion dollars for buying just one joypad.

But it's not "fortune telling horseshit" to point out what actually happened to Google Plus, Picasa, Google Reader and the other billion products Google abandoned during the years.

DebonaireD posted:

I wanna play AAA games on my lovely laptop on the porch and I dont give a poo poo about latency or bandwidth and neither does anyone else.

You are too optimist.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
My internet cuts out 2-3 times a day and that is considered stable by my ISP. Won’t even have to pull the Ethernet cable to cheese the next destiny raid!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I lived in downtown chicago in a luxurious part of town and my options for internet in both places was a comcast capped at 25mbs or U-verse capped at 10. In the first one getting disconnected 2 times in a day was a good day for me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The HBO TV show, Silicon Valley, is a pretty hilarious look at everything wrong with startup / tech culture in California. Granted it's exaggerated, but its satire is also not far from the truth either and uses real world examples of terrible tech ideas to tell its jokes.

The only unrealistic part of the show is that all the real life crazy stuff happens to one group of people.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm in a unique set of circumstances that at least in theory could lead to a great time with Stadia.

- My PC stuff actually is from the stone age.
- I live in Canada, so computer hardware prices are oftentimes incredibly stupid. GPUs seem to be like 50% more expensive than in the US, for example, after exchange. For example, a REFURBISHED 2080 Ti is $1300 + tax, using a currency that was close to 1:1 with the USD six years ago.
- I'm all about flopping comatose on the couch with a controller and don't really care to kb+m anymore.
- Most of my recent experience with PC gaming has been spending way too much time futzing with settings of various kinds, either to deal with poor performance/micro-stutters or even to get a game working correctly at all.
- Touching computers and troubleshooting them triggers me from decades of doing IT work and really not caring to do that at home.
- I can usually get console games cheaper than PC games at launch. Thanks Canadian E3 pre-order deals! (not a point to Stadia's benefit, but helped me move away from PC at least)
- I have unlimited gigabit internet.
- I've had good performance from both GeForce Now and PS Now, and in looks like Google has datacenters that are even closer to me.

It's enough for me to get a Chromecast Ultra (which I wanted for other reasons anyway) and a month of uPlay+ and see how it works.

I definitely have my doubts that this will be a long-term success, though, given the reactions in this thread and the undeniable truth that goons are collectively never wrong.

If nothing else I just hope more games do the full cross-play that Modern Warfare and other games are doing.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They said Destiny 2 will only play with other stadia users. So yea it's a safe assumption.

It is specifically Destiny 2, though, which is worth noting, and the reasons they have decided to not allow Stadia versions play with other PC gamers, keeping those separate, have been mentioned.

The other releases are strictly PC games, so multiplayer will work with other regular, non Stadia, PC players.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
More like Stupidia.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

It is specifically Destiny 2, though, which is worth noting, and the reasons they have decided to not allow Stadia versions play with other PC gamers, keeping those separate, have been mentioned.

The other releases are strictly PC games, so multiplayer will work with other regular, non Stadia, PC players.

Everything I've read has stated that Stadia is treated as its own ecosystem, and cross-play may be doable, but is optional and per-game much like how it's done now. Do you have statements that contradict this or elaborate further?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

univbee posted:

Everything I've read has stated that Stadia is treated as its own ecosystem, and cross-play may be doable, but is optional and per-game much like how it's done now. Do you have statements that contradict this or elaborate further?

No I am just going by common sense to be honest. As far as I have read, only Destiny 2 has been suggested to be not working with other PC games in multiplayer.

You say “cross play may be doable, but is optional and per-game much like it’s done now”. I am not sure what you mean. Stadia isn’t a console. It’s PC games being run remotely at Google’s centres. They are PC games. Cross play isn’t a requirement.

Unless there are links to google saying they are implementing something to stop you playing with other PC gamers, I have no reason to think they will. Do you have any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

No I am just going by common sense to be honest. As far as I have read, only Destiny 2 has been suggested to be not working with other PC games in multiplayer.

You say “cross play may be doable, but is optional and per-game much like it’s done now”. I am not sure what you mean. Stadia isn’t a console. It’s PC games being run remotely at Google’s centres. They are PC games. Cross play isn’t a requirement.

Unless there are links to google saying they are implementing something to stop you playing with other PC gamers, I have no reason to think they will. Do you have any?

They aren't PC games. Stadia games have to be specifically independently built and compiled for the platform. In that sense yes it is a console.

Geforce Now DOES run native PC versions, however.

Here's Ubisoft's Yves specifically talking about building Stadia-specific versions: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-21-porting-ubisoft-games-to-google-stadia-is-now-part-of-the-publishers-pipelines