Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Just wanted to say, holy crap that is a great OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

If people are still interested in the adventures of our little coterie, gimme a shout, depending on if it's better posted here or in the stories thread.

Post it here

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thespaceinvader posted:

If people are still interested in the adventures of our little coterie, gimme a shout, depending on if it's better posted here or in the stories thread.
:justpost: I find all the live play accounts to be inspiring even when I do not find them interesting, and I find them interesting most of the time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My HRG just came in. This book is great and I have no idea what anything is beyond the vague “blood dolls is vampos.”

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Bogart posted:

My HRG just came in. This book is great and I have no idea what anything is beyond the vague “blood dolls is vampos.”

Half the fun of that book (besides being really, really well written) is figuring out which stories could fit a specific splat and the occasional "WTF?" WoD gribblies.

Also :science: Nuclear Promethean :science:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cat Lady is some good writing too. Woof. Poor Ella Mae. :(

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

thespaceinvader posted:

:justpost: :posthaste:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'll do a bit of retrospective when I have time, but next session is tonight. We get to find out what happens when you dump 50-odd assorted kindred into a tiny University town just after Brexit, so you'll know tomorrow!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So Deviant backers, the Deviations and Scars manuscript went out today (powers and flaws). Question:

Is there any reason at all to take the Inescapable version of Relentless Variation, over Suppressible? Other than from a pure concept perspective, I can't think of any reason why you would ever take "always-on, no matter what, the end" over "trade off for something also bad, to turn it off," ever. The worst-case scenario is you just...don't suppress, in which case you're always-on in practice anyway.

Am I missing something?

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

So Deviant backers, the Deviations and Scars manuscript went out today (powers and flaws). Question:

Is there any reason at all to take the Inescapable version of Relentless Variation, over Suppressible? Other than from a pure concept perspective, I can't think of any reason why you would ever take "always-on, no matter what, the end" over "trade off for something also bad, to turn it off," ever. The worst-case scenario is you just...don't suppress, in which case you're always-on in practice anyway.

Am I missing something?

I think it's intended to model character concepts like those mutants who lived in the sewer in x-men. While most of the x-men were sexy and had powers they could toggle on and off, the sewer mutants (can't remember their name) tended to have ugly manifested scars with powers they couldn't turn off.

On the other hand, maybe you just don't ever want anyone to be able to take your powers away.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Octavo posted:

I think it's intended to model character concepts like those mutants who lived in the sewer in x-men. While most of the x-men were sexy and had powers they could toggle on and off, the sewer mutants (can't remember their name) tended to have ugly manifested scars with powers they couldn't turn off.

On the other hand, maybe you just don't ever want anyone to be able to take your powers away.
See, they give SOME benefit to similar Morlock-stuff (that's who you're thinking of), with having it where if you have an Overt Variation with a Relentless Scar, the secondary effect from Relentless is one Magnitude cheaper than usual (so if you went Subtle > Relentless at 3 Magnitude, you'd need a 3 Magnitude associated Scar, but if you went Overt > Relentless at 3 Magnitude, you'd need a 2-Magnitude associated Scar).

Maybe it's just a flaw in trying to capture a point buy system where the math effectively caps at 5?

Really though, the big kicker to me is that not only are your choices "always-on" and "activate something else in this one's place with a Scar Resistance roll," you also have this:

quote:

Inescapable: Choose another Persistent Scar (the secondary Scar). All Variations combined with this Scar also suffer the secondary Scar. The Deviant cannot suppress the entangled Variations at all — not even temporarily.
which like...are they thinking that always-on by itself isn't enough of a problem to warrant being an adequate scar (and given that always-on could mean always-20-feet-tall, always-slipping-into-invisibility, etc., that's silly) so it requires something else tacked on? Or am I misreading it? It just seems like some weirdly inconsistent "you get bonuses under X but not Y" mechanics-math, which granted is on-brand for CoD/WoD, but, still.

And as for powers being taken away, adding Relentless (of either variety) gives you Persistent and Perpetual tags now (and +5 to clash rolls as a result), so you don't get anything more out of saying always-on, period.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 1, 2019

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Anything better than a stealth campaign having its seal broken less than 5 minutes in with combat, in an area where combat is now inescapable.

It is like a cat playing with a mouse.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Glad that goku is winning the best splat poll.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone talk me out of starting a nwod reqiuem LARP in Durham because i want to tell better stories

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shrecknet posted:

Someone talk me out of starting a nwod reqiuem LARP in Durham because i want to tell better stories

ask if you can be a narrator in the lovely game so you develop a reputation as someone whose game people will want to defect to.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Someone was telling me that not being good for cross-splat play hurts Demon the Descent's popularity and I'm flabbergasted that people actually try to do cross-splat poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SunAndSpring posted:

Someone was telling me that not being good for cross-splat play hurts Demon the Descent's popularity and I'm flabbergasted that people actually try to do cross-splat poo poo.

Two-splat games where you deliberately go to the shared themes seems doable, especially if neither of them are Mage or Demon. A shitload of work, but still.

"Anything goes" would require keeping track of too many subsystems for anyone who isn't literally a DtD Demon IRL.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Two-splat games where you deliberately go to the shared themes seems doable, especially if neither of them are Mage or Demon. A shitload of work, but still.

"Anything goes" would require keeping track of too many subsystems for anyone who isn't literally a DtD Demon IRL.

I think it was much more feasible in 1st edition CoD/NWoD. All of the 2nd ed games have way to much going on with variable touchstones and frenzy systems etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
another thing that would help is if you have players who are good about keeping track of their own mechanics and can take some of the tracking workload off the GM

in my experience this is rare but i suppose it's theoretically possible

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

I've done and am currently running a crosssplat game. It works out fine but if you're someone who wants to keep on theme then yes it is rather difficult. I wouldn't try it with demon though unless you put down a hard rule that they have to IC hide their nature.

Rubix Squid fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 2, 2019

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

another thing that would help is if you have players who are good about keeping track of their own mechanics and can take some of the tracking workload off the GM

in my experience this is rare but i suppose it's theoretically possible

This is a basic requirement in my Awakening2e game. If you're going to cast a spell, you have to know the basics of what it does. I won't be telling you because I'm too busy trying to tell a story, dealing with multiple souls and temporal phenomena, and dealing with 98% of my planning getting skipped (because mage) to be arsed to tell a person how Control Electricity works. RTFM.

Granted, this works really well now because the players are flexible and know what their sheets do. And they help any new players so I don't have to worry about it as much. Got them trained up right. (Also, I think they're having fun, so that helps.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bosushi! posted:

I think it was much more feasible in 1st edition CoD/NWoD. All of the 2nd ed games have way to much going on with variable touchstones and frenzy systems etc.

Yeah, this.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Shrecknet posted:

Here's my best attempt: the stories you tell here, about struggling to tell good stories, are very entertaining - at least to me.

thespaceinvader posted:

hi i haven't played a wod game for over a decade please give me stories

Bogart posted:

I actually didn't read the Horror Recognition Guide until like four months ago when someone in the old thread suggested it to someone wanting to get into the nWoD. It loving rules. One of those amazing cases where doing nerdy hermeneutics to connect it to specific game-lines is as satisfying as just reading the drat thing as a series of creepy one-off x-files-y stories. In general a lot of WoD stuff is really good at this - nWoD more than oWoD, IMO, for being willing to avoid explicit answers - but it's a strength of both settings. I also really enjoyed Demon (the Descent)'s version of this, I think from the Demon Storytellers Guide. Might have been because the antagonist of DtD has fairly deep talons in places most splats would care about, but also might have just been a bunch of deeply creepy ideas, well told, that are tempting to drop into any campaign.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

I know enough good-quality LARPers in Durham that I reckon you'd get an audience...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nessus posted:

I too was down. I think they hit a reasonable sweet spot of being readable either in a serious way (Buddhist wolves from the Himalayas make as much sense as IRA wolves) or a goof-rear end gonzo way (MASTER OF KAILINDO ROUNDHOUSE KICKS YOU).

Wait. OWoD had some Exalted type kung-fu werewolves? Because poo poo like a werewolf dragon kicking some jackass vampire/mage/spirit/Pentex executive in the face can't be wrong and i'll hear no argument about it. :allears:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Not only did they, but it was a werewolf only martial art that involved limited form changes. Your homid fist could turn into a crinos claw as you connected with some chump, for example.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Archonex posted:

Wait. OWoD had some Exalted type kung-fu werewolves? Because poo poo like a werewolf dragon kicking some jackass vampire/mage/spirit/Pentex executive in the face can't be wrong and i'll hear no argument about it. :allears:

Yes, that's basically the Stargazers schtick.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, that and crippling werewolf depression.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Shrecknet posted:

John Edwards, Toreador baron of the research triangle park

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As a North Carolinian I am very excited to here about the Ventrue fighting a proxy war against teachers.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Question for the minds of the WoD thread:

I'm beginning to plot out my game world (focused on the SF Bay area) and while I'm going to be running Vampire, I'm planning a more "Monster Mash" type deal where the other splats are running around doing their own poo poo.

So far I figured I'd dump some Werewolves in Golden Gate Park, but I'm not sure where I could put some Mages that would make sense (besides the Technocracy running say Google or Facebook)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Find a weird place where a bunch of nerds can hang out. Just some incredibly strange thing that they can cluster around and be obsessed with investigating some mystery related to it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

moths posted:

Not only did they, but it was a werewolf only martial art that involved limited form changes. Your homid fist could turn into a crinos claw as you connected with some chump, for example.

Angry Lobster posted:

Yes, that's basically the Stargazers schtick.

Now you're making me feel like I missed something awesome by not paying much attention to OWoD Werewolf.

Also, I kind of am curious if there were any in fiction viewpoints on what most of the other inhabitants of the OWoD think when they see some werewolf bang out some sweet transforming kung fu moves on the nearest bad guy. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Because of the Delirium it's usually something like a guy in a gorilla costume just karate chopped someone's head off, and that seems completely rational.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Archonex posted:

Now you're making me feel like I missed something awesome by not paying much attention to OWoD Werewolf.

OWoD Werewolf, via the short lived Rage card game, is essentially the game that got me into the tabletop hobby and I will forever love the absolute batshit nature of it.

A lot of people give the Stargazers, and Kailindo, poo poo for “not making sense” or something, but to me it makes perfect sense for a Werewolf to find a way to optimize their shape shifting ability in the way that all Martial Arts seek to optimize the human body’s economy of motion. If anything Kailindo as “the werewolf martial art” is far too narrow, and every tribe would have incorporated shapeshifting into their own martial arts.

Stargazers are problematic in that they’re steeped in early 90’s Orientalism and act as a catch all for anything vaguely Asian, so they could definitely use a much more culturally sensitive rewrite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bosushi! posted:

OWoD Werewolf, via the short lived Rage card game, is essentially the game that got me into the tabletop hobby and I will forever love the absolute batshit nature of it.

A lot of people give the Stargazers, and Kailindo, poo poo for “not making sense” or something, but to me it makes perfect sense for a Werewolf to find a way to optimize their shape shifting ability in the way that all Martial Arts seek to optimize the human body’s economy of motion. If anything Kailindo as “the werewolf martial art” is far too narrow, and every tribe would have incorporated shapeshifting into their own martial arts.

Stargazers are problematic in that they’re steeped in early 90’s Orientalism and act as a catch all for anything vaguely Asian, so they could definitely use a much more culturally sensitive rewrite.

Their Revised Tribe Book tried.

It also had some brokenly fun Gifts like Burning Fire Mind.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Bosushi! posted:

Let us never forget 1e Rage, the card game where the rules book did not tell you how to resolve combat, BUT did have space and time necessary to make a circular reference across 4 different items.

God what a piece of poo poo amazing game. I still have a bunch of foils around here somewhere from the Umbra set. The drat realms.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As a note, 'combat shapeshifting martial art' survived into nWoof, it just doesn't have a formal name. It's still a combat style merit you can take, and in 2e IIRC I'm fairly sure it's usable and decent.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

Question for the minds of the WoD thread:

I'm beginning to plot out my game world (focused on the SF Bay area) and while I'm going to be running Vampire, I'm planning a more "Monster Mash" type deal where the other splats are running around doing their own poo poo.

So far I figured I'd dump some Werewolves in Golden Gate Park, but I'm not sure where I could put some Mages that would make sense (besides the Technocracy running say Google or Facebook)

The Kuei-jin were big in Chinatown, there is a San Francisco by Night book btw, and I think they ran the city during the dumb eastern invasion metaplot thing but I would just do whatever. There's probably a fairly big wraith population, due to the previous major earthquakes that were worse in the WoD, and you can always throw in the odd Demon or Hunters.

The Children of Gaia have a major caern outside the city in the Muir Woods National Monument. https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Sept_of_the_Western_Eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Let us never forget 1e Rage, the card game where the rules book did not tell you how to resolve combat, BUT did have space and time necessary to make a circular reference across 4 different items.

God what a piece of poo poo amazing game. I still have a bunch of foils around here somewhere from the Umbra set. The drat realms.

I managed to nearly complete my set a few years ago. I’m only missing a few promo reprints and most of the Limited set, but I have at least one copy of every card is some form. There’s a small fan community that’s produces expansions and has made attempts at cleaning up the rules, but it still just a mess.

I never did get to play the 2nd Ed game set in Las Vegas, but it seemed to have a much better structure. Unfortunately, from my understanding, the license holder for that version is sitting on it tightly, so the fan community doesn’t pay it much attention.