Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

:allears: FMW meets the supernatural. It's beautiful

Yeah, around the time of the Monday Night Wars Ethan Skemp, Justin Achilli and a bunch of others were fans of wrestling and it seeped in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

I found out Malcolm Sheppard apparently had a WW heartbreaker called Opening the Dark around 2008 that has unfortunately been mostly scrubbed from the internet.

I... might actually have a copy of that. Let me dig.

EDIT: I have a 1.5 SRD saved in my random RPG files. There is apparently someone on RPGnet who is working on a version of it of their own, using the original and cleaning it up: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11z7x3CMH8AOxekfsWmqA3qLe7LdAdf1_/view

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 9, 2024

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Old WW had a thing for wrestling. It was one of the biggest facets of Aberrant.

Also, they did Street Fighter The RPG.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Deviant_(Black_Dog)

WAIT ONE GOSH DANG MINUTE

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

joylessdivision posted:

This should happen regardless, because that poo poo would be :krad:

As it stands, an old ancilla or elder Vampire is WAY stronger than a werewolf in 5E. It's like not even a question, it's stupidly lopsided. It's no surprise that in Fall of London Mithras was able to kill an entire werewolf pack on his own.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Fuzz posted:

As it stands, an old ancilla or elder Vampire is WAY stronger than a werewolf in 5E. It's like not even a question, it's stupidly lopsided. It's no surprise that in Fall of London Mithras was able to kill an entire werewolf pack on his own.

You know I always wonder how a w20 werewolf would fare if they were put into w5 with little to no regard for balance?

I'm going to guess it's somewhere between xianxia protag cleaving through a rivals sect for insulting his jade beauty to single hardly rebuilding the garou nation by convincing each and every garou they come across that they're Gaia's avatar.

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 9, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

You I wonder how a w20 werewolf would fare if they were put into w5 with little to no regard for balance?

I'm going to guess it's somewhere between xianxia protag cleaving through a rivals sect for insulting his jade beauty to single hardly rebuilding the garou nation by convincing each and every garou they come across that they're Gaia's avatar.
The Emperor of Woofkind

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Nessus posted:

The Emperor of Woofkind

Ah yes one many possible identity of Big D. He would also have a golden crown which is much better than that dweeb MorningKill's sliver crown.

Like seriously that's basically wearing a crown made of Arsenic and you'd have to be pretty dumb to ware a crown made of poison for you're kind.

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 9, 2024

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Yearly reminder of the brief time WWE had a vampire-themed wrestler named Gangrel with a “courtesy of White Wolf Game Studios” mentioned in show credits when he appeared.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

joylessdivision posted:

Someday I'll run the dumbest WoD/Wrestling crossover game. Just yell "WHAT?" whenever the Prince says something, Stone Cold Stunner fools left and right. Narrate all combat as Jim Ross.
"AS CAINE AS MY WITNESS HE IS BROKEN IN HALF!"

OH BAW GAWD JIM, STOP THE MATCH!! THEY’RE PLAYIN LILITH’S MUSIC!!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

You know I always wonder how a w20 werewolf would fare if they were put into w5 with little to no regard for balance?

The biggest thing is that V5 understands and respects action economy, which a whole bunch of old grogs are butthurt about with regard to Celerity, but the biggest issue with legacy was that the person with the highest Celerity basically auto wins the fight. It's a huge nerf to garou, too, but the important thing is the way Blood Potency powers up Disciplines so you're rolling a literal bucket of dice as an Elder, and winner takes all.

W5 werewolves are still plenty strong, though, but vampires aren't even necessarily an antagonist, let alone their primary one, so they're balanced for what they're supposed to be doing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gatto Grigio posted:

Yearly reminder of the brief time WWE had a vampire-themed wrestler named Gangrel with a “courtesy of White Wolf Game Studios” mentioned in show credits when he appeared.

Until whomever hold the rights ignored Gangrel and he was able to swoop in and claim the name for himself so he can use it in perpetuity. Legend.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

Until whomever hold the rights ignored Gangrel and he was able to swoop in and claim the name for himself so he can use it in perpetuity. Legend.

It was paradox, CCP/onyx path told them about it and they were, apparently, incredulous and thought they were joking.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gatto Grigio posted:

Gangrel and the Brood ruled. As a pre-teen goth wrestling fan, them and The Ministry of Darkness were very much my poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's all a painfully missed opportunity to incorporate supernatural undertakers into the WoD as part of a trade.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm not super well-versed with the highest-level werewolf gifts, but I think it's always been the case that vampires outscale werewolves in the oWoD. Dots of Potence are better than dots of Strength, and Celerity can give you five extra attacks for one blood point rather than five extra attacks for five rage points. Werewolves start with a big pile of combat bonuses but eventually get left behind.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 9, 2024

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Ferrinus posted:

I'm not super well-versed with the highest-level werewolf giftd, but I think it's always been the case that vampires outscale werewolves in the oWoD. Dots of Potence are better than dots of Strength, and Celerity can give you five extra attacks for one blood point rather than five extra attacks for five rage points. Werewolves start with a big pile of combat bonuses but eventually get left behind.

They ended up changing it in V20 to be 1 Blood per action, but your point largely remains.

In W5 the Garou's main combat boost comes from the Rage dice potentially giving you 4 successes each, and shifting to Crinos form instantly shoots you to 5 Rage. Where it gets a little wonky is that Claws deal +3 damage, but it's only superficial to supernatural creatures, with vampire and werewolves being specified. In WoD5, all Superficial damage ends up being halved. The Crinos bite, however, deals +1 agg, which is also available to the Hispo form.

When is comes to combat regeneration, Vampires and Garou are similar to a boring degree. A garou can regenerate one Superficial Damage (two in Crinos) until they roll poorly enough on Rage checks to run out and then lose the Wolf and get really in a bind. A vampire can regenerate until they roll poorly enough to hit Hunger 5, but their healing gets more efficient as their Blood Potency increases.

EDIT: One buff W5 Garou got is that they explicity say Werewolves cannot be killed except by Agg damage from Fire or Silver, or complete body annihilation.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 9, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

It was paradox, CCP/onyx path told them about it and they were, apparently, incredulous and thought they were joking.

Ah, one of Paradox's smaller rakes to step on.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Fuzz posted:

The biggest thing is that V5 understands and respects action economy, which a whole bunch of old grogs are butthurt about with regard to Celerity, but the biggest issue with legacy was that the person with the highest Celerity basically auto wins the fight. It's a huge nerf to garou, too, but the important thing is the way Blood Potency powers up Disciplines so you're rolling a literal bucket of dice as an Elder, and winner takes all.

W5 werewolves are still plenty strong, though, but vampires aren't even necessarily an antagonist, let alone their primary one, so they're balanced for what they're supposed to be doing.

Eh. Going all "if my calculations are correct, once this baby hits Blood Potency 88 you're going to see some serious poo poo" is less of a thing to my 13th Gen, Potency 1 Keeper.

Gatto Grigio posted:

Seconded.

The vamp vs. werewolf thing in WoD is usually so stacked towards werewolves. I like the idea of a Lupine pouncing on a vampire thinking “easy prey” and then getting absolutely bodied

Same. It would absolutely not end well but the mental image is too good to ignore.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

joylessdivision posted:

Gangrel and the Brood ruled. As a pre-teen goth wrestling fan, them and The Ministry of Darkness were very much my poo poo.

Don't forget the legion of Doom!

Free Gratis posted:

They ended up changing it in V20 to be 1 Blood per action, but your point largely remains.

In W5 the Garou's main combat boost comes from the Rage dice potentially giving you 4 successes each, and shifting to Crinos form instantly shoots you to 5 Rage. Where it gets a little wonky is that Claws deal +3 damage, but it's only superficial to supernatural creatures, with vampire and werewolves being specified. In WoD5, all Superficial damage ends up being halved. The Crinos bite, however, deals +1 agg, which is also available to the Hispo form.

When is comes to combat regeneration, Vampires and Garou are similar to a boring degree. A garou can regenerate one Superficial Damage (two in Crinos) until they roll poorly enough on Rage checks to run out and then lose the Wolf and get really in a bind. A vampire can regenerate until they roll poorly enough to hit Hunger 5, but their healing gets more efficient as their Blood Potency increases.

EDIT: One buff W5 Garou got is that they explicity say Werewolves cannot be killed except by Agg damage from Fire or Silver, or complete body annihilation.

Crinos claws are unhalved Superficial, same as feral claws.

For the healing, the thing about vampires is they can get back Hunger pretty easily, whereas Rage economy is stupid and hosed up in W5. In general it's a poorly designed game mechanically, but that's what happens when you let a shithead like Justin Achilli run the whole show. W5 is an extremely flawed game.

citybeatnik posted:

Eh. Going all "if my calculations are correct, once this baby hits Blood Potency 88 you're going to see some serious poo poo" is less of a thing to my 13th Gen, Potency 1 Keeper.

Irony, as Lasombra specifically or anyone who picks up Arms of Ahriman basically has the best chance at bodying a werewolf one on one, given some distance and even a little BP.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 9, 2024

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Fuzz posted:

For the healing, the thing about vampires is they can get back Hunger pretty easily, whereas Rage economy is stupid and hosed up in W5. In general it's a poorly designed game mechanically, but that's what happens when you let a shithead like Justin Achilli run the whole show. W5 is an extremely flawed game.

Yeah I wonder how Hendersons worth of derailment could a w20 werewolf do in sesson of a w5 game...

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Fuzz posted:

Don't forget the legion of Doom!

Was this an errata or something? Unlike feral weapons,I cannot locate that exception listed anywhere.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The idea is supposed to be strength with the pack. The reality is baby woofs beat baby vampire, but elder vampire beats elder woofs. But it doesn’t matter because woofs are too busy dragging each other down, and really need to stop doing that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

The idea is supposed to be strength with the pack. The reality is baby woofs beat baby vampire, but elder vampire beats elder woofs. But it doesn’t matter because woofs are too busy dragging each other down, and really need to stop doing that.

Pretty much. It took like a lot of Garou but they took down Mithras who was a childe of [Ventrue]. They all died in the attempt AND Mithras lived on because a hapless Banu Haqim antitribu diablierie'd him and got taken over by Mithras' soul but credit where credit is due.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

TheCenturion posted:

So how would a W20 wolf actually stack up to a W5 wolf and could said W20 wolf break the intended tone of the w5 setting over they knee?

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 10, 2024

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

So how would a W20 wolf actually stack up to a W5 wolf and could said W20 wolf break the intended tone of the w5 setting over they knee?

You can't actually compare them because Action Economy > * in a TTRPG, and there's literally nothing in 5E that gives you extra actions, whereas in legacy for either VtM or Woof you could pretty handily get 3 actions a turn, scaling up to 6 if you really went into Celerity. It was loving broken as poo poo.

That said, a woof vs a vampire at baseline in legacy was MUCH stronger than in V5, but an Elder vampire in V5 is VASTLY stronger than an elder in Legacy, despite ostensibly fewer actual discrete powers. The powers they do have are so much more ridiculously powerful that it doesn't matter, and the amount of exp you need to get there is a fraction of what was previously required.

So overall, Vampires got the better deal in 5E, but that makes sense since Karim is a math nerd, apparently, and designed the bulk of the actual mechanical systems for V5.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Closest you could probably find to that is playing a Lunar Exalted in the “Exalted vs. WoD” fan game

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Did they nerf wolfs a lot or is it more like "You get Crinos and that's about it, Rage no longer lets you get mad enough to pop your Sandevistan and kill the entire room"

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Gatto Grigio posted:

Closest you could probably find to that is playing a Lunar Exalted in the “Exalted vs. WoD” fan game

So you're saying that W20 werewolf in W5 is basically the return of the firstborn. Yeah that tracks.

Honestly Unlike Parawolf I'm a big believer in buffing other characters to match the stronger character rather than nerfing the stronger character. Which is why I would like to fuse world of darkness setting with the Project moon shared universe.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nessus posted:

Did they nerf wolfs a lot or is it more like "You get Crinos and that's about it, Rage no longer lets you get mad enough to pop your Sandevistan and kill the entire room"

Basically. They made them a lot more in line with Forsaken, in terms of power level and mechanics. You can't walk around writing poetry and making baskets in Crinos anymore, either, it literally penalizes you if you're not trying to murder something every turn it's active.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Fuzz posted:

Basically. They made them a lot more in line with Forsaken, in terms of power level and mechanics. You can't walk around writing poetry and making baskets in Crinos anymore, either, it literally penalizes you if you're not trying to murder something every turn it's active.

Yeah but it's role-playing game and people wanna role-play in all they forms.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Yeah but it's role-playing game and people wanna role-play in all they forms.

W5 is a weird and poorly designed game. It has entire systems and trackers in it that variable server no mechanical purpose other than being a ticker to, "lol you can't play this character anymore because reasons."

Justin Achilli is a shithead. I'm glad my personal dislike of him for the last 22 years is now mostly vindicated.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Fuzz posted:

W5 is a weird and poorly designed game. It has entire systems and trackers in it that variable server no mechanical purpose other than being a ticker to, "lol you can't play this character anymore because reasons."

Quick question, what's the recommend XP rate like in W5? Because bars that fill up and end with "your character is too much of a mess to function" is a mechanic that I'm fond of. The problem is that W5's versions of it are too fast and binary. Given that historically WoD XP rates have trended towards something that will let you slowly grind out characters for literal years, I was just wondering if W5 also did that because the slow default XP rate is usually annoying but is very bad when your character could just implode after three bad adventures or so.

(The numbers are pulled out of my rear end based on my memory of previous discussions, but you get what I mean.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I assume it's the usual 1-2 per session which assumes you're college age neckbeards who can play every week or whatever.

I dunno, I ignore all their guidelines and have my own system for WoD games, but I never play or run werewolf because I just really do not give a gently caress about Apocalypse's core themes and metaplot. The real world is dying and corporations are ruining everything, I play games for escapism, if I want depressing corporatist poo poo I'd just play a (much better) cyberpunk setting where I can have a laser in my arm or something.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fuzz posted:

You can't actually compare them because Action Economy > * in a TTRPG, and there's literally nothing in 5E that gives you extra actions, whereas in legacy for either VtM or Woof you could pretty handily get 3 actions a turn, scaling up to 6 if you really went into Celerity. It was loving broken as poo poo.

That said, a woof vs a vampire at baseline in legacy was MUCH stronger than in V5, but an Elder vampire in V5 is VASTLY stronger than an elder in Legacy, despite ostensibly fewer actual discrete powers. The powers they do have are so much more ridiculously powerful that it doesn't matter, and the amount of exp you need to get there is a fraction of what was previously required.

So overall, Vampires got the better deal in 5E, but that makes sense since Karim is a math nerd, apparently, and designed the bulk of the actual mechanical systems for V5.

I'm not seeing where V5 elders are proportionately stronger than V20/Revised/2E elders when V5 disciplines are nerfed more or less across the board. The physical disciplines have a vastly weaker proportionate effect than before (even assuming anyone knows how Lightning Speed works now, which they still don't) and even the powers with effects matching their legacy versions have smaller dicepools than the saving throws they offer victims. Also, V5's XP gain is an incredibly slow drip feed by default relative to what powers cost. Did they add strong, affordable level 6+ discipline powers to V5 recently and I missed it?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I'm not seeing where V5 elders are proportionately stronger than V20/Revised/2E elders when V5 disciplines are nerfed more or less across the board. The physical disciplines have a vastly weaker proportionate effect than before (even assuming anyone knows how Lightning Speed works now, which they still don't) and even the powers with effects matching their legacy versions have smaller dicepools than the saving throws they offer victims. Also, V5's XP gain is an incredibly slow drip feed by default relative to what powers cost. Did they add strong, affordable level 6+ discipline powers to V5 recently and I missed it?

A BP 6 vampire with let's say Dominate 5 and not even a 5 in the linked attribute for, say, Compel (so Charisma) has a base dice pool of 9. The power is free and costs no Hunger (blood points) to use, At baseline, they get 3 extra dice from their Blood Potency, so now it's 12. They can also easily surge for another 4 dice, so now they're rocking 16 dice in a system that

A- Does not remove successes when you roll a 1, like Legacy
B- Has paired 10s counting for double.
C- Winner takes all, again unlike Legacy.

The first two things in concert mean once you go over about 12 dice, your chances of critting start to very rapidly increase. The last things means that when you win, your opponent doesn't do poo poo.

The other major booster is that unlike Legacy, where you needed to spend 7x (where X is however many dots the discipline) per level, to get to Dominate 7 (since this would basically be a 5th gen vampire) you're talking 195 exp for ONLY that one discipline. V5 everything caps at 5, and BP starts to dramatically upscale your dice pools as it goes up. A 5th gen starts at a minimum BP of 4, so even if you didn't follow the rule of "vaguely 1 BP every 100-200 years" you'd be talking about buying BP 5 and 6 with actual exp at a rate of 10x per dot, so 110 exp on just that BP 6 but it affects every single Discipline they have. An elder in Legacy with Elder powers in multiple disciplines including a few out of clan ones would need well over 700 exp to pull it off, in V5 you could manage the same with 500... it's a long game view, but these are Elders, the overall exp needed to make them brokenly strong is waaaay less.

Swap this over to a Lasombra using Arms of Ahriman... now they do have a rouse check, but at BP6 you can reroll Rouse checks on any power that's level 3 or lower, so you only actually have a 25% chance of getting hungrier. Assuming 4 Wits and 5 Oblivion, you're talking the same dice pool of 16 but it's on a physical attack roll, those arms are not bound to your own shadow like in Legacy, and you can be looking at someone 100m away and have shadows come out of their shadow, grapple and restrain them immediately, probably at little to no resource expenditure for you. And this is at BP6, which is where Elders technically start on the BP treadmill.

So yeah, their regular punches are still limited by action economy and no Discipline pools or Discipline Power Bonus dice entering into the calculation, but the vast majority of their other powers all do have that mechanic, so if a Garou jumps your Elder with Animalism they can just Quell the Beast with 15+ dice pretty handily which is over double what your average Garou's resist pool is and probably 1.5x what an older Garou's is. They lose all their Rage, can't shift forms, and you proceed to push their poo poo in with whatever other tools you have, because you probably didn't even get that much hungrier, and even if you did you can just snack on one of them and not only refuel, but get supercharged vitae since they're werewolves and you'd get 2 Hunger for every sip.

For fun like a year or so back a couple of the big math nerds and B Dave sat down in the discord and made V5 vs Legacy Elders and ran them through some test combat scenarios as part of a fan event thing, and yeah, literally everyone was shocked at how stupidly broken V5 vampires get when they ramp up. This design was very intentional, and Jason Carl even commented that yes, the entire point is that a millennia old vampire should be goddamn terrifying and a force of nature.

EDIT: Also, this was done over a discord voice chat thing, and yes B Dave's reaction was just as hilarious as you would imagine. I have no idea if it's available to listen to on stream somewhere, probably check social media somewhere? I don't follow most of that stuff.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 10, 2024

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Fuzz posted:

I assume it's the usual 1-2 per session which assumes you're college age neckbeards who can play every week or whatever.

I dunno, I ignore all their guidelines and have my own system for WoD games, but I never play or run werewolf because I just really do not give a gently caress about Apocalypse's core themes and metaplot. The real world is dying and corporations are ruining everything, I play games for escapism, if I want depressing corporatist poo poo I'd just play a (much better) cyberpunk setting where I can have a laser in my arm or something.
I mean I actually found an short fan supplement called Werewolf punk remix. It's ment to more of a clean break than W5 while also slightly transparent critique on its source material. Most of the text of WPR is basically here's how W5 did it and here's how it should be done.

Also one of the tribes are explicitly historians and archaeologists, which is a critique on how parawolf handled lore and the perfect vehicle for st to insert lore both old and new.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I mean, you add your BP bonus to things like Resilience and Prowress so at some point it just gets stupid. In the Mithras example even at his underpowered stats (8 v 10BP) he'd be adding 4 dice to Disciplines and when it came to Resilence and Prowress would be adding 8 HL and dealing either +7 in Brawl damage or +5 to base melee before you factor in how he could be swinging armored cars around for the latter.

But at the same time I'm playing a dang 1BP neonate in both our LA game and in the upcoming Anchorage one. So all this talk about how badass elders can get just earns a shrug from me.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, around the time of the Monday Night Wars Ethan Skemp, Justin Achilli and a bunch of others were fans of wrestling and it seeped in.

God bless whichever of those nerds gifted us EL DIABLO VERDE, KING OF THE SQUARED CIRCLE.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Fuzz posted:

A BP 6 vampire with let's say Dominate 5 and not even a 5 in the linked attribute for, say, Compel (so Charisma) has a base dice pool of 9. The power is free and costs no Hunger (blood points) to use, At baseline, they get 3 extra dice from their Blood Potency, so now it's 12. They can also easily surge for another 4 dice, so now they're rocking 16 dice in a system that

A- Does not remove successes when you roll a 1, like Legacy
B- Has paired 10s counting for double.
C- Winner takes all, again unlike Legacy.

The first two things in concert mean once you go over about 12 dice, your chances of critting start to very rapidly increase. The last things means that when you win, your opponent doesn't do poo poo.

Legacy powers generally don't afford your victim a roll at all, though; often they'd check a target's sheet to generate a static TN, or just work. In V20, Dominate just uses a target number equal to the victim's current willpower pool, which is problematic if your enemy both has a permanent rating of 10 and hasn't spent any points... unless you spend one willpower of your own, sealing in an automatic success.

Now, I think V5's system is superior to Legacy's here; the fact that BP gives you a generic power bonus and the fact that Blood Surge essentially serves as an Exalted-style "Excellency" charm for all attributes rather than applying only to physical stats neatly gets rid of the need to stat out elders with Manipulation 8 and Leadership 7 or something stupid like that. But, even if we ignore the massive action economy and scale bonuses that legacy Vampire gives you and 5 takes away (and I'm frankly not sure that's defensible, because it really does make a big difference to e.g. how many regular-level combatants an elder can realistically defeat singlehandedly), the very fact that V5 is fair enough to the victims of Disciplines to at least let them roll something (and gives the victim of a discipline their own BP-based dice bonus to resist), and the actual result of the rolloff is generally going to be equivalent to or even slightly tamer than that legacy Disciplines did, suggests that the power scale has in fact been compressed rather than held steady or expanded here.

Further notes and idle questions follow:

quote:

The other major booster is that unlike Legacy, where you needed to spend 7x (where X is however many dots the discipline) per level, to get to Dominate 7 (since this would basically be a 5th gen vampire) you're talking 195 exp for ONLY that one discipline. V5 everything caps at 5, and BP starts to dramatically upscale your dice pools as it goes up. A 5th gen starts at a minimum BP of 4, so even if you didn't follow the rule of "vaguely 1 BP every 100-200 years" you'd be talking about buying BP 5 and 6 with actual exp at a rate of 10x per dot, so 110 exp on just that BP 6 but it affects every single Discipline they have. An elder in Legacy with Elder powers in multiple disciplines including a few out of clan ones would need well over 700 exp to pull it off, in V5 you could manage the same with 500... it's a long game view, but these are Elders, the overall exp needed to make them brokenly strong is waaaay less.

Legacy Vampire has the same x5 in-clan, x7 out-of-clan multipliers that V5 has, and V20 at least multiplies "current" rather than "new" rating (although of course "current" has sometimes, but not always, been intended to mean "rating you are currently buying"). A legacy Methuselah doesn't need XP or time to be able to flex the full strength of their Generation rating, either. Also, a V20 player character is going to get between 2 and 4 experience points each session, and between 0 and 3 extra experience points each story, whereas the V5 corebook instructs you to give players 1xp per session and an incredible 1xp extra at the end of a story. I suspect that XP-for-XP comparisons don't really make sense between games because of the differences in systems, but if we're going to make them, I don't think they favor *5.

quote:

Swap this over to a Lasombra using Arms of Ahriman... now they do have a rouse check, but at BP6 you can reroll Rouse checks on any power that's level 3 or lower, so you only actually have a 25% chance of getting hungrier. Assuming 4 Wits and 5 Oblivion, you're talking the same dice pool of 16 but it's on a physical attack roll, those arms are not bound to your own shadow like in Legacy, and you can be looking at someone 100m away and have shadows come out of their shadow, grapple and restrain them immediately, probably at little to no resource expenditure for you. And this is at BP6, which is where Elders technically start on the BP treadmill.

The new Arms of Ahriman are a funny choice to make here because they seem much worse than the old ones, which were able to operate independently of their creator, didn't expressly require a full turn of setup, and may well have freely been able to attack and damage one enemy per success without any kind of split dicepool shenanigans (the capacity for each individual tentacle to take its own turns or damage separate targets is unclear in many writeups of the power, but the V20 formulation seems to allow it). Also, you've always been able to summon the Arms out of any shadows, not just your own. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about; the powers are, on the whole, milder.

quote:

So yeah, their regular punches are still limited by action economy and no Discipline pools or Discipline Power Bonus dice entering into the calculation, but the vast majority of their other powers all do have that mechanic, so if a Garou jumps your Elder with Animalism they can just Quell the Beast with 15+ dice pretty handily which is over double what your average Garou's resist pool is and probably 1.5x what an older Garou's is. They lose all their Rage, can't shift forms, and you proceed to push their poo poo in with whatever other tools you have, because you probably didn't even get that much hungrier, and even if you did you can just snack on one of them and not only refuel, but get supercharged vitae since they're werewolves and you'd get 2 Hunger for every sip.

Are you sure Quell the Beast zeroes out a werewolf's rage bar? All it does to a vampire is turn off their Blood Surge. It'd be kind of mean-spirited for one line developer to specify that some random power in their book completely fucks over the protagonist of the next game line over, although it was definitely par for the course in Exalted at some point.

Also, don't werewolves get their own BP-style scaling bonus to power resistance? It'd be funny if they didn't but I kinda assumed they'd keep the Blood Potency/Primal Urge/Gnosis/etc. throughline that nWoD uses.

citybeatnik posted:

I mean, you add your BP bonus to things like Resilience and Prowress so at some point it just gets stupid. In the Mithras example even at his underpowered stats (8 v 10BP) he'd be adding 4 dice to Disciplines and when it came to Resilence and Prowress would be adding 8 HL and dealing either +7 in Brawl damage or +5 to base melee before you factor in how he could be swinging armored cars around for the latter.

Unless I'm even more behind on errata than I thought, I don't think this is true. The BP bonus adds to dice pools to use or resist disciplines, not to your Disciplines' actual ratings. If you have BP 6, you get +3 dice to activate Spark of Rage, but I don't think your static Potence score is treated as three points higher for determining how much damage Prowess adds to your punches.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Ferrinus posted:

Also, don't werewolves get their own BP-style scaling bonus to power resistance? It'd be funny if they didn't but I kinda assumed they'd keep the Blood Potency/Primal Urge/Gnosis/etc. throughline that nWoD uses.

Not that I can find. There certainly is no CoD style "Power Stat" on the character sheet.

Fuzz posted:

I'm still hoping for a response to my earlier question on this. Was this errata'd somewhere? It definitely seems like the kind of thing they'd have forgotten to put in the book.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 11, 2024