Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Those punks are all present or future Brujah and therefore servants of the Wyrm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Ferrinus posted:

Those punks are all present or future Brujah and therefore servants of the Wyrm.

Like couldn't they just jump them in a ally and fight them one on one like a true warrior? Like the Cult don't even have to worry about the police since they got the local PD in the pockets.

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 27, 2024

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, being chased around by a curse is cool. But, "no, it makes sense, because it is a magic curse" does not really free you from the burden of having your writing read and interpreted.

ZearothK posted:

Ultimately what determine if a game is problematic is what goes on at the table, so the burden is on the GM and players.

The two quotes above really speak to me. They are true for any version of the game you play.

I'm trying to understand how I feel about all of this and not kneejerk.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Alright, which of you let the Eldest get into the dogs
https://twitter.com/pli_cachete/status/1784239140889862576

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This is Coyote's doing, Loomer, you know that as well as I

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When did the Eldest go canine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I listen to a podcast , Are You Afraid of the Dark Universe, where they create scripts for the Universal Pictures Dark Universe that died with the flop of tom cruise's Mummy movie. Hearing the monster mashups of the stand alone films coming together in their Avengers Style, Dark Legion movies just makes me real sad that, aside from Kindred the Embraced, which didn't go all in on VtM, we never really got any WoD/CoD movies.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That's a great idea for a podcast but it should be named "Let the games... begin." Or at least the hosts should say that phrase a minimum of two times per episode.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the actual podcast loving rules, especially because the two hosts go back and forth on how they're developing the scripts. While they're all horror, they range from traditional horror, period pieces, action/horror, to comedy horror. My personal suggestion for anyone who doesn't want to just jump in at the begining is to listen to the first episode where they go over the premise of the podcast and how they have to build off the Tom Cruise Mummy film, skip to The Invisible Man starring John C Reily, and then The Phantom of the Phantom of the Opera. If those don't hook you, nothing will. But starting at episode 1 and just going chronological is a great ride.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Uhhhh and what of cinematic masterpiece Dracula Untold? Did Sultan Mehmed II produce this podcast??

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I’m listening to the first podcast. They say “snarky” while describing a host in the first minute so I’m not hopeful. I’ll expect $5 if I don’t like it

E: alright the invisible man episode is pretty good.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 29, 2024

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\Yeah that usually grabs people because it's hilarious. The Dark Legion episodes and the Holiday special are also done with a full cast for the script read.

Ferrinus posted:

Uhhhh and what of cinematic masterpiece Dracula Untold? Did Sultan Mehmed II produce this podcast??

They actually discuss whether or not that should be canon since it was supposed to to be the first attempt at launching the Dark Universe. Later on, they do bring back Charles Dance's character in, I think, Dracula Lives.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
Due to personal circumstances I haven't run any games for nearly a decade, though I have done some tinkering with the rules on my own every now and then. I'm now thinking about getting back into it, specifically running a Hunter game set in the 1980s (haven't really decided on the details beyond that).

So, I want to make sure that I'm understanding the HtV 2e rules correctly. Has the entire Practical Experience system been replaced with the "Group Beats" thing, and do Tactics no longer cost any kind of xp? Has anyone here ever ran any games with the HtV 2e rules? If so, I'd really appreciate any tips.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

INH5 posted:

Due to personal circumstances I haven't run any games for nearly a decade, though I have done some tinkering with the rules on my own every now and then. I'm now thinking about getting back into it, specifically running a Hunter game set in the 1980s (haven't really decided on the details beyond that).

So, I want to make sure that I'm understanding the HtV 2e rules correctly. Has the entire Practical Experience system been replaced with the "Group Beats" thing, and do Tactics no longer cost any kind of xp? Has anyone here ever ran any games with the HtV 2e rules? If so, I'd really appreciate any tips.

Well it's not exactly HtV but the web series Hunter the parenting is a good tonal inspiration for a Low level HtV game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Kc0xuYnfQ

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

INH5 posted:

You don't buy tactics, tactics are just things hunters can do in the 2e rules. You can use any tactic if it fits the situation. Practical experience is gone. Group beats are similar in that they're extra sources of XP for hunter situations, but your pool isn't split into regular experience and special hunter experience, the group beats just contribute to your regular experience gain.

Good luck with the edition of the game where hunters have an Integrity trait with the same name as regular mortals but it works almost completely differently, Lucifuge powers discern demons from other monsters by whether the monster has the dread power that sets the room on fire, and they started the sample monster list with Slender Man.
:negative:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
There is no conceivable reason to not just use the 1e HtV and the Mortal Remains book to update the rules to 2e. Lots of the 2e books (tried to) fixed things that were weird or bad in the original incarnations, but HtV was basically already fine and just needed minor updates. The presence of Slender Man shows the level of creative thought that was put into HtV 2e.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There is no conceivable reason to not just use the 1e HtV and the Mortal Remains book to update the rules to 2e. Lots of the 2e books (tried to) fixed things that were weird or bad in the original incarnations, but HtV was basically already fine and just needed minor updates. The presence of Slender Man shows the level of creative thought that was put into HtV 2e.

This. HtV2 sucked because they cannibalized so much of it to build out the mortal section of the Chronicles of Darkness 2E core that the table scraps left over were just thrown into HtV and it lost all of its charm.

HtV1 remains the single best game that White Wolf ever made.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they also pull the galaxy brain move of combining Task Force: Valkyrie and VASCU into one entity?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Soonmot posted:

Didn't they also pull the galaxy brain move of combining Task Force: Valkyrie and VASCU into one entity?

They took VASCU private, which took away their main draw of being "the boring FBI guys who are determined to put vampires in jail because biting people is assault and that's a crime".

They also made the Cheiron Group into a weird comedy bit for some reason.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Fuzz posted:

This. HtV2 sucked because they cannibalized so much of it to build out the mortal section of the Chronicles of Darkness 2E core that the table scraps left over were just thrown into HtV and it lost all of its charm.

Nah. That's just the Horrors and Dread Powers rules. You could strip all the rules out of Hunter the Vigil 1e and it'd still be pretty good. The atmosphere was thick, evocative, and rich for sparking ideas, and the focus was firmly on the characters and what it was like for them day to day on the Vigil in a way that constantly suggested angles you could explore in a typical game. That's what's missing from Vigil Second Edition, that tone and focus, the feeling of living in a fog-smothered world where you felt like believable people stuck in a situation having to deal with God knows what at every turn. The mysteries are too defined and the human element not defined enough.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Fuzz posted:

HtV1 remains the single best game that White Wolf ever made.

I'd say it's tied with Promethean 1e for the best nWoD game, myself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, nostalgia goggles and all, but my favourite era is nWoD 1e up to Geist.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Orpheus, Promethean 1e, Changeling the Lost 1e and Hunter the Vigil 1e are the games of kings.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Wraith the Oblivion not making these lists is criminal, but I get it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I've been dreaming about playing Wraith: The Oblivion for two decades now.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I understand statting up slender man in your game about hunting spookies. Slender man was huge for a while.He just probably shouldn’t be the first example.

E: Slendermania

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

I Am Just a Box posted:

You don't buy tactics, tactics are just things hunters can do in the 2e rules. You can use any tactic if it fits the situation. Practical experience is gone. Group beats are similar in that they're extra sources of XP for hunter situations, but your pool isn't split into regular experience and special hunter experience, the group beats just contribute to your regular experience gain.

Good luck with the edition of the game where hunters have an Integrity trait with the same name as regular mortals but it works almost completely differently, Lucifuge powers discern demons from other monsters by whether the monster has the dread power that sets the room on fire, and they started the sample monster list with Slender Man.
:negative:

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yeah, something felt kind of off reading 2e, so I'm not terribly surprised that there's some weird stuff.

I think I'll just mix and match stuff between 1e HtV, my GMC-based house rules from the game I ran a decade ago, Mortal Remains, and 2e based on what seems to work best. For instance, the Practical Beat and Tactics rules in Mortal Remains are remarkably similar to the system I came up with for my GMC-based Hunter game I ran a decade ago, and that worked reasonably well, so I think I'll go with the Mortal Remains version.

I'll be careful when porting over 2e Tactics, though, because in theory they should have been nerfed to account for no longer costing XP. I'll have to find some time to compare Tactics between editions to check if they actually were.

The stuff that I've noticed from skimming 2e so far that I like: some of the Merits seem good, the potions system for Ascending Ones is vastly improved over 1e's spending experience to get potions (now the potions themselves are basically free but you usually have to spend a point of Willpower to use one, which fits fine with the lore) so that's useful if I ever include them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I Am Just a Box posted:

Nah. That's just the Horrors and Dread Powers rules. You could strip all the rules out of Hunter the Vigil 1e and it'd still be pretty good. The atmosphere was thick, evocative, and rich for sparking ideas, and the focus was firmly on the characters and what it was like for them day to day on the Vigil in a way that constantly suggested angles you could explore in a typical game. That's what's missing from Vigil Second Edition, that tone and focus, the feeling of living in a fog-smothered world where you felt like believable people stuck in a situation having to deal with God knows what at every turn. The mysteries are too defined and the human element not defined enough.

Also from the current Hunter: The Reckoning!

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
I will throw up for Vampire the Requiem 2nd Ed.
Just wrapped an elder game played over discord and while their were a lot of rules, the system kept pushing you into more and more desperate maneuvers when things kicked off, which led to some amazing moments.
I'm sure most of that was having a high-quality GM, but the fact that the system mostly got out of the way of his campaign was impressive.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ZearothK posted:

I've been dreaming about playing Wraith: The Oblivion for two decades now.

Dreaming of the Stygian shores...

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
So how would any the fixers from project moon setting work as a WOD splat.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

INH5 posted:

I'll be careful when porting over 2e Tactics, though, because in theory they should have been nerfed to account for no longer costing XP. I'll have to find some time to compare Tactics between editions to check if they actually were.

It was watching this actual play back when 2e was first coming out (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbLcxMDJJ8) and it that really hit home how weird 2e's tactics were. This is one of the better 2e games I've seen run, which is why it's kind of hilarious that at least two of the players don't even know the rules of the game, and it still grinds to a halt whenever the Cell uses tactics. The tactic they use over and over again during that actual play is the "Identification" one, where a single roll basically replaces all the leg work and research that you expect to see in a usual hunt cycle. It just seems weird, and turns what should be maybe a third of the game into a single tactic that apparently only takes an hour to complete.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dreaming of the Stygian shores...

Glad I got the map of Stygia print up in my game room. :unsmith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Glad I got the map of Stygia print up in my game room. :unsmith:

One of my favorite parts of Wraith20. Shaped like a scythe blade? Yes, of course!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

So how would any the fixers from project moon setting work as a WOD splat.

First you'd have to decide what fidelity to either setting you want, like if you're just dropping some PM conventions into the standard WoD or trying to replicate the entire City setting with d10 pools or whatever. To the extent that you shade towards the latter, you'd probably want fairly detailed rules for cybernetic augmentation, high-tech equipment, etc.

With that out of the way, fixer offices would probably amount to one of those 1-5 dot merits representing membership in a cult or mid-tier hunter conspiracy where each dot basically replicates certain levels of professional training or buys you another thematically-appropriate merit. An entire association might be more like a Covenant/Tribe/Order style "character class" splat that gives you some built-in benefit or cost break as well as access to a small library of related or exclusive merits.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Orpheus, Promethean 1e, Changeling the Lost 1e and Hunter the Vigil 1e are the games of kings.

Add Demon the Descent and you've more or less got my list. It's got some of the 2e wonkiness but the flavor and, ironically, the humanity just ooze out of it.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It was watching this actual play back when 2e was first coming out (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbLcxMDJJ8) and it that really hit home how weird 2e's tactics were. This is one of the better 2e games I've seen run, which is why it's kind of hilarious that at least two of the players don't even know the rules of the game, and it still grinds to a halt whenever the Cell uses tactics. The tactic they use over and over again during that actual play is the "Identification" one, where a single roll basically replaces all the leg work and research that you expect to see in a usual hunt cycle. It just seems weird, and turns what should be maybe a third of the game into a single tactic that apparently only takes an hour to complete.

Glancing at the two versions, 1e Identify only determines whether the target is a supernatural creature, with no further specifics. 2e also tells you the type, plus one specific piece of additional information. So they buffed it after effectively giving this ability to every Hunter cell that has one member with 2 dots of Occult (1e had stricter skill requirements) for free?

Weird, and suggests that perhaps my concern should run in the opposite direction with 2e Tactics, if this is representative.

EDIT: Okay, I think I've got it figured out. The key bit is here: "Risking Willpower: To perform a Tactic, the primary actor must risk a Willpower point (p. 135) on its outcome, and they do so before anyone makes any rolls. Once the Tactic begins, the group must follow it through to its end, even if it goes horribly awry in the middle. Enacting the Tactic takes up both benefits of risking Willpower for the primary actor. All usual roll results for risking Willpower apply. Secondary actors may risk Willpower normally on their rolls if they wish."

So, the idea is that executing the Tactic required you to risk a Willpower point, and you can't back out if something goes wrong, therefore it's risky to use it and therefore it doesn't cost XP but the benefits of succeeding are better to take into account that risk?

I don't particularly like this way of doing things. Risking Willpower does not seem like a particularly good balancing mechanism because presumably the Primary Actor is going to be someone with a good dice pool. And if a designer does succeed mechanically in turning using a Tactic into a risky gamble, then wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of being something that Hunters are especially good at?

I think I'll stick to the 1e/Mortal Remains version where spending Practical XP on a Tactic represents a particular hunter cell doing some specialized training to be able to do a particular thing particularly well.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 1, 2024

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I remember running an H:TR campaign back in the day where the players got so into the investigation/research/planning part that the actual final conflict with the monster in question almost became like an epilogue to the story. It was to the point where they'd kind of defacto turned the game into what H:TV would become, as they often completely ignored their imbuements in favor of meticulous planning, ambush tactics, the whole nine yards.

INH5 posted:

Glancing at the two versions, 1e Identify only determines whether the target is a supernatural creature, with no further specifics. 2e also tells you the type, plus one specific piece of additional information. So they buffed it after effectively giving this ability to every Hunter cell that has one member with 2 dots of Occult (1e had stricter skill requirements) for free?

This is basically the whole thrust of nWoD 1e->2e; make it way easier and take out the conflict. Promethean 1E was 'welcome to the struggle bus: your body hates you, your own mind hates you, everybody you see hates you, the earth itself hates you, even the magic angels who sometimes tease you with the new dawn hate you. Your creator hated you, you hate your own urge to create and reproduce, and when you do finally break down and create a new Promethean, you're going to hate yourself for it, you're going to hate them for existing, and they're going to hate you. Despite ALL of this, you can find hope, and beauty, and love, and you can come through all of this hate and pain.'

2E was 'people look at you funny, and that's mean. Also, here's an explicit and direct step-by-step process to becoming human, and that's the goal. Go.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nWoD 1e game lines other than Requiem sound a lot like they’re meant to evoke particular psychological perspectives, and I’m curious since we have some writers in here who might know: was that an explicit intention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheCenturion posted:

This is basically the whole thrust of nWoD 1e->2e; make it way easier and take out the conflict. Promethean 1E was 'welcome to the struggle bus: your body hates you, your own mind hates you, everybody you see hates you, the earth itself hates you, even the magic angels who sometimes tease you with the new dawn hate you. Your creator hated you, you hate your own urge to create and reproduce, and when you do finally break down and create a new Promethean, you're going to hate yourself for it, you're going to hate them for existing, and they're going to hate you. Despite ALL of this, you can find hope, and beauty, and love, and you can come through all of this hate and pain.'

2E was 'people look at you funny, and that's mean. Also, here's an explicit and direct step-by-step process to becoming human, and that's the goal. Go.'

You're not wrong, but 1E was also a slog to play unless you were into misery porn.