Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There will be stories soon, assuming the group is OK with me sharing them in detail! Bear with me.

Last night was definitely dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Their Revised Tribe Book tried.

It also had some brokenly fun Gifts like Burning Fire Mind.

It also leans way way way too hard on the idea of duality, presenting two mutually exclusive points of view as absolute truths and thinking that it's super deep for doing so. "The stargazers do not use Fetishes, as they see them as artificial and physical, and thus tools of the weaver. Also they prefer to use their own teeth and claws in combat. Here's a ridiculously strong rank 6 weapon fetish.'

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

moths posted:

Because of the Delirium it's usually something like a guy in a gorilla costume just karate chopped someone's head off, and that seems completely rational.

So literally kung fu murder furries.

Well alright then. The WoD has seen worse.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Kinda surprised to see Changelings beating woofs in the poll.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Changeling kicks rear end

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As a Mage enthusiast I have to say I'm nevertheless disappointed to see the flagging of Goku on the charts.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I would legit like to try playing Changeling 20.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Goku is a mage

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013
I voted Changeling without reading the poll properly, and am now sorely regretting not voting Goku.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Kuei-jin were big in Chinatown, there is a San Francisco by Night book btw, and I think they ran the city during the dumb eastern invasion metaplot thing but I would just do whatever. There's probably a fairly big wraith population, due to the previous major earthquakes that were worse in the WoD, and you can always throw in the odd Demon or Hunters.

The Children of Gaia have a major caern outside the city in the Muir Woods National Monument. https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Sept_of_the_Western_Eye

Nice! I think I've got a copy of SF by Night that I'll take a look at. I'm kinda planning to just pretend the Kuei-Jin don't exist because yeesh.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Kuei-jin were big in Chinatown, there is a San Francisco by Night book btw, and I think they ran the city during the dumb eastern invasion metaplot thing but I would just do whatever. There's probably a fairly big wraith population, due to the previous major earthquakes that were worse in the WoD, and you can always throw in the odd Demon or Hunters.

The Children of Gaia have a major caern outside the city in the Muir Woods National Monument. https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Sept_of_the_Western_Eye

Given its relative proximity to Los Angeles, you could easily throw in more than just the odd Demon.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Soonmot posted:

Goku is a mage

Requesting every splat state their case for Goku being among their number. Goku the Mage, Goku the Hunter, Goku the...Changing Breed...

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Bogart posted:

Requesting every splat state their case for Goku being among their number. Goku the Mage, Goku the Hunter, Goku the...Changing Breed...

Mage don't have to explain poo poo.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Bogart posted:

Meet Goku...
The Ultimate BAD rear end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well Goku was a Wraith at multiple points in his timeline.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Goku's a monkey.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

Goku's a monkey.

were-ape

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gyrotica posted:

Given its relative proximity to Los Angeles, you could easily throw in more than just the odd Demon.

I'm kinda planning to pull ideas and such from both oWoD and nWod because there are elements from both that I really like and the folks I've talked to about playing are all either completely new or have played Vampire at some point.

I made my first storyteller character today, I think I did it right? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l01UeySwv1XUTvcRLmYyGqa2DdMoyPfo behold my Malkavian.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 2, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Goku's one of the Bound and King Kai is his Geist.

e: not sure if he's actually a Sin-Eater though. also Beerus is an Exarch and Frieza is a Seer and one of his Pylons

Launch is a Demon, which explains why she can switch Covers, is one of the only DB characters ever to fight with a gun, and was able to retroactively conceal all trace of herself ever existing :v:

e2: Piccolo is a Changeling, and King Piccolo was his Keeper

the Androids are Prometheans (obviously) and Cell was a Centimanus

Chiaotzu is a Vampire. Tien is a Deviant created by Master Shen, and Krillin is some weird non-splat Horror whose defining trait is having no nose.

Mr. Satan is a Hunter, and Buu is a high-ranking spirit who was tainted by the Maeljin but got better (possibly an Idigam considering his progression from formless trickster -> Kid Buu)

and as for woof, well:

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/King_Furry

e3: and finally, Yamcha is a Mummy, because they find him in the desert and he gets weaker with every passing episode

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 2, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hello new thread!

I looked into Deviant a bit and it looks really cool. The name doesn't seem really appropriate but whatever.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Inzombiac posted:

Hello new thread!

I looked into Deviant a bit and it looks really cool. The name doesn't seem really appropriate but whatever.

Should have stuck with deviant the cronenberg

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dragonball Stuff

Can't really argue with that one, especially Lunch and Yamcha.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Inzombiac posted:

Hello new thread!

Other than my mechanical quibbles I really like it so far, and as someone who really likes the idea of building characters in the abstract as well, the starting-at-tier system for Variations lets you trace a full character power progression and watch how quickly you can turn into a horrible near-unplayable freak. I love it!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Inzombiac posted:

Hello new thread!

The name "Deviant" was apparently decided above the developers' heads, I guess in the very early concept stages. I agree it's not super fitting.

Deviant: the Renegades as a game is goddamn amazing so far though. It doesn't topple Demon as my favorite CofD gameline, but it's a strong contender with Hunter for all-around tightly practically designed and versatile game, and anybody particularly interested in Hunter should definitely check it out, as it hits a lot of similar notes. It manages to make the drawbacks of your character almost as interesting and cool as your powers, which isn't a bad feat to pull off.

Folks who've got cold feet from the last few CofD Kickstarters being the likes of Beast and the Contagion Chronicle should once-over Deviant. It's far more coherent and holistically designed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Well put, Tuxedo Catfish. Including even F-listers like Launch is a pro move.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Krillin is a Hunter who's along for the ride and whose Endowments never really seem to keep up, but goddammit, he has heart.

And no nose.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bogart posted:

Well put, Tuxedo Catfish. Including even F-listers like Launch is a pro move.

Launch was my favorite character and I'm still mad that Toriyama just forgot about her.

I also unironically love how weird the Dragonball setting is, with ancient alien wizards and traditional Japanese Hell ghosts on one hand and super high-tech artificial people on the other, despite the fact that as a franchise it barely seems to care about anything that isn't Goku or his immediate circle of friends. It's a good fit for the ChroD in that respect.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Let's not forget that the planet has been ruled for generations by dogs because someone made a wish on magic wizard space alien rocks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I Am Just a Box posted:

The name "Deviant" was apparently decided above the developers' heads, I guess in the very early concept stages. I agree it's not super fitting.

Deviant: the Renegades as a game is goddamn amazing so far though. It doesn't topple Demon as my favorite CofD gameline, but it's a strong contender with Hunter for all-around tightly practically designed and versatile game, and anybody particularly interested in Hunter should definitely check it out, as it hits a lot of similar notes. It manages to make the drawbacks of your character almost as interesting and cool as your powers, which isn't a bad feat to pull off.

Folks who've got cold feet from the last few CofD Kickstarters being the likes of Beast and the Contagion Chronicle should once-over Deviant. It's far more coherent and holistically designed.

Very cool to hear.
While I play Vampire the most, the one big Hunter game I ran was probably my favorite. Deviant would be so much fun if you played it like the Molochs from X-Men.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

A Mortals game that becomes a Hunter game that becomes a Deviant game would be interesting, I'd think.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How many monsters could a regular person become?

Human, Changeling, Hunter, Deviant, Geist, then vampire or werewolf??

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Don't forget "start as a Promethean, achieve the New Dawn" and that the weird by-products of being the child of a Demon can still manifest retroactively if a Demon soul pacts one of your parents.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
And then you become a Fractal or an Offspring, and get grabbed by the Machine and used as the basis for an angel, eventually falling and becoming a Demon yourself. (Heirs to Hell mentions plenty of angels, exiles, and demons claim to have once been Fractals or Offpsring.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BRB, writing my YA series about the unluckiest dipshit to ever live.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Catfish's excellent DBZ post is enshrined in the OP

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How dare you bring that evil here, Ferrinus

What splat is Vegeta?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Inzombiac posted:

Hunters aren't monsters, mostly. A few tier-three conspiracies employ demi-monstrous hunters, like the tainted bloodline of the Lucifuge. But literally, a random sap who finds out rat hosts have hollowed out people in town, gets a wrench, and starts keeping an eye out for rat-walkers? That's a hunter. He didn't become anything, he just started hunting, and that's enough for the Hunter template.

A human can be made into a vampire, a changeling, a bound (the protagonists of Geist), or a deviant, given the right supernatural intervention. (Vampires turn vampires, the True Fae kidnap people and they become changelings, geister find dying people and offer them a living death, all kinds of occult experiments have the potential to cause the divergence.)

A human can become a werewolf, but if they weren't born with it in their blood waiting to emerge, then it's especially rare and requires the direct intervention of the spirit of the moon, who is crazy.

A human can become an awakened mage through extreme insight and soul-searching struggle. The only reliable way for a patron to impose the Awakening from without leaves the new mage spiritually broken and dangerous to himself and others.

Mummies were all once human, but the ritual that made them into mummies was a once-in-all-history rite that involved destroying an entire city and crippling an empire, so it's probably not going to happen again.

Prometheans are often made from human bodies, but the human doesn't become a Promethean. The human stays dead and the Promethean is a newborn life made from somebody else's body parts.

Demons were never human. They can buy the identity of a human to step into and live their life, but the actual human is destroyed when this happens.

Nobody slides sideways from monster to monster, or at least, a vampire who becomes a mage becomes so under strange circumstances and becomes a unique and strange kind of vampire mage. The only real exception is that Prometheans can become regular humans, who can then become anything a regular human can become, and since hunters are also regular humans, they can too.

There are various "lesser templates," miscellaneous minor supernaturals and offshoots of the power of the "major templates." Humans can be made into ghouls or stigmatics pretty reliably. Wolf-blooded and demon-blooded are usually born such, with a rather small number of exceptions. Proximi are also usually born such, I believe. Fae-touched occur as a twist of fate.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 3, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e3: and finally, Yamcha is a Mummy, because they find him in the desert and he gets weaker with every passing episode
:gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

Nobody slides sideways from monster to monster,

Excuse me sir but a certain Mr. Haight would like a word with you about that.