Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Do you want a "Best book list" for Changeling or are you running out of space on that, OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Looks like Paradox is getting back into the classic World of Darkness tactic of telling people how they can't profit off of their IP after taking a year off after the international incident and losing the Gangrel name:

https://www.white-wolf.com/dark-pack

Pretty sure streams have been accepted as significantly altered works that you can make money off of for a while now but I guess putting out a decal for the Brand Supporters to use in their thumbnails is a minor benefit.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Shrecknet posted:

Thanks everyone for your help. Issue 3 of Up Against the Wall is out. (there's two versions, with two different Ventrue horrorscopes as suggested)

Enjoy!

This is the greatest, thank you for everything you do

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Getting ganked as part of a clan feud and being evidence of rank Prince corruption is pretty much as much of a win you can get for less than three months of game.

The Assamite Elder offer after being ganked for touching some Assamite lore feels like a trap play. Is your org using the Assamite in the Cam lore?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Uktena got written as South & Central American during the time the writers were talking about the Shadowlords doing a lil innocent genocide upon the bat folk

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My favorite Changeling character concept that I've been sitting on waiting for a chance to play it is a nuclear scientist from the Manhattan Project who got Rip van Winkle'd into the present during his Durance.

He'd promptly sign on with the Summer Court and start making plans for a cold iron bomb to nuke Arcadia. :getin:

Wouldn't the act of exploding count as forging the iron? Or is this an in-built irony?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The real silly aspect to the Time powers was that they were the 'true' aspect of the silly Speed powers, but only found in the real descendants of one of the umpteen clans that got Speed powers

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Zereth posted:

Yeah the issue isn't "Vampires but The Thing"

it's "This vampire type, along with anybody else who's managed to learn their signature Discipline, both of which have been out for some time? Yeah, they're the Thing, sucks to be you if you didn't want that"

When I was told about the Dirty Secret, it was anyone who had Vicissitude used on them, so even folks who fought against a Tzi and got flesh-rended were in trouble!

It was a pretty wild plotline at the base.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Everyone posted:

Let me start with I've never LARPed, much less LARPed Vampire. That said, consider your origin story. Your character is a demolitions expert. His inclination is to look for (generally physical) weak spots in buildings/etc. that he can exploit to destroy them. Figure some of that thinking will carry over to his social interactions as well. Think this clip from about 1:20 or so.

And consider that while you're a heavy, you're a Tremere heavy. You're not some thrill-seeking Brujah or half-wild Gangrel. Your loyalties are to your clan as a whole, your master and yourself (if not necessarily in that order). Outside of those affiliations you don't (or shouldn't) have friends and enemies. You just have tools or obstacles. Problems to solve or opportunities to exploit. Let everyone outside your clan circle (and many in it) feel your indifference to them as anything but potential tools to use or problems to solve. Look at them all as structures you might have to demolish. And let them feel you thinking of them that way.

And throw a bit of '40s slang in there, too. You're Vampire Captain America. Have a bit of fun with that.

Captain Camarilla, especially one who buys into all the horseshit that the tower asks you to believe (what Gehenna?) is a great concept.

Sitting on chairs backward in Elysia, dropping the Real Speak on some Anarch punks.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

So are they going to keep all the different flavors of the Vaccines Are Cool Club and give them all the put-upon-market-liberal filter, and just hope that they can skate by without raising questions about the times when those groups were written to be Literal Nazis?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

"Little did you know, the widening gyre towards authoritarian regimes assembled around the national myth is in fact the Traditions coming once again" is absolutely the strong play if you are going to go with market liberal superhero Technocracy. I shudder to think what rough beast of an acceptible Enemy slouches towards Berkley to be born!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MoonKnight posted:

The pandemic and apparently terrible business practices by the people who ran the company.

That was an industry-wide thing; you can make a great return on investment if you don't pay people for their labor.

But came by to chat about LARP vampire- the V5 Laws of the Night book is going to crowdfunding on Monday, so I'm very excited to see what whales get their "characters" into print-run immortality.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

shut it down until they do a full pass on the art, fine tooth comb

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MoonKnight posted:

So has anyone got the new MET Vampire V5 book and has any opinions on it? I'm curious about it, but all I can see from discussion on their web presence is just them mass-promoting their bespoke LARP, and their Discord is nothing but feedback on their apparently very lovely editing (like, the amount of free editing community feedback that is happening is STAGGERING).

Its fine, in the way that any game made for and by Vampire LARPers was going to be fine. A lot of the core rules are focused on making the ST's life easier- making the Mass Combat rules literally a "He dies, then she dies repeat until the last people standing claim victory" is at least an ethos, maaaaan.

The game is almost directly hewn to V5 lore and core mechanics- messy criticals, Hecata, lots of powers that were one-offs for clans are now just sidebars for the core disciplines.

Flattening the Loresheets into 3 steps rather than five is better for everyone involved, most of those big ideas are not strong enough to have five discrete ideas.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MoonKnight posted:

I expected it to be V5 in it's core, PDX doesn't do legacy stuff.

For mass combat, what? That's hilarious, no one is going to run those mass combat rules, LARPers are some of the ficklest I've ever met about characters dying. So basically combat's going to be a hella slog. I heard someone say that they 'pulled the teeth from Hunger,' is that true? Did they add any batshit stuff that is clearly 'big org' support like they did in V2?

The way it works is like a printed-in-book optional adjudication for use by STs when 10 people all in $600 costumes decide to throw down and you don't want to reward people who want to play out the clock for the hotel ballroom rental agreement mandatory hard-out; its better than taking it to emails for sure.

As for Hunger, the "teethiness" of the Hunger Dice for the recorded Actual Play Dramas can't be achieved, because the Vampire Larpers will never ever ever stop loving Rock Paper Scissors for everything; so instead the main deal with middle-tier hunger is that it makes you get more hunger and/or more morality stains depending on if you fail or eventually critically make those Rock Paper Scissors games.

The book is super ST-comfort centric; there are no extra celeritity rounds or stacks of re-tests (outside of staking, which is having to make 3 tests in a row to succeed but nigh-instantly disables a Vampire with remaining health levels). One action being one chop and everyone being able to attack once a round is, I say, cool.

Oh and there is no cap on attacks so rolling with a carpool of five friends like you're the Power Rangers is super effective.

e: also I dont see anything that obvious for Big Orgs other than Downtimes being exactly and always three actions... I'll have to see if anything is hidden in the Camarilla section.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Fuzz posted:

This is rapidly becoming the best 5th Edition book.

This rocks and is exactly the kind of "gently caress you, figure it out yourself" energy that needs to be inserted into a game that is otherwise "Undeath-styles Of The Rich & Famous"