Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Shrecknet posted:

Someone talk me out of starting a nwod reqiuem LARP in Durham because i want to tell better stories

John Edwards, Toreador baron of the research triangle park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I love how people poo poo on Twilight but the average Twilight Vamp makes any local Prince look like Jesse Eisenberg. Twilight vamps have like 8 or 9 dot Celerity, Potence and bunch of other unique superpowers. Not to mention sun immunity and can get by on animal blood. Twilight vamps would wreck any Kindred if there was a cross over.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

lmao

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Why doesn't my ST let me play a child character?

Why does he automatically assume that he will emote NPCs being sexual with me?

Why does he automatically assume that my party mates will do it?

Edit: last part was too harsh.

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 28, 2020

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

I mean, you've Met a Pod, right? They post here like everyone is equally hooked into V5 Actual Play social media as they are, and also like to posture as if we're a pernicious, oppressive blight out to destroy V5 for being a mediocre game.

Really, their goal seems to be to get the conversation away from Chronicles and onto New Old WoD by any means necessary, even if it makes us all resent V5.

I recommend ignoring them.

V5 is made by fans, and it oozes that out of every pore to a point where its kind of a problem. What's more, it's clearly made by fans who came in through bloodlines and never really engaged with a lot of the metaplot. As a result parts that don't really work for that view of what vampire is got cut out rather brutally. (Elders get sent to the middle east, and the Camarilla is no longer the supreme government of all vampiredom by its own reckoning but a country club for elders). Some of this depends on your taste whether you like it, (I personally think the change to the camarilla is an improvement.) some of it is just stupid (Knowing Tourette from Bloodlines is a merit on its own)

It also means that a lot of mechanics have been built either by stapling it on top of existing stuff without regards to how it would fit, or refuses to meld with the system as they've actually made it.
My personal most annoying bugbear (Although easily fixable) is that their new main character creation system distributes dots based on background choices (Which is cool and good) but these point are static, while the character advancement costs are exponential. Which means you get the worst of both worlds of CoD and WoD, which is super annoying because this problem was fixed in CoD 1st edition.

There's also some new mechanics which don't really work (Hunger dice are cool as a concept, but the implementation is sort of bad), some mechanics which clearly only exist to facilitate the creators own characters (2 dot instant sexswap ritual for thin bloods comes to mind), etc.

Overall the hatetrain is exaggerating its badness (As usual really), but it's still bad.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Sorry that was a lot of words to get to my actual actual question.

How exactly do the Ventrues discover their preferences? Do they drink blood until they find one type they don't vomit?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

One thing that has irked me about WoD/CofD discussions is what I would like to call overspecificity. There are a lot of cool monsters and powers and whatnot to work with, but there is a price to pay, narratively speaking, from having all this poo poo defined in such granularity.

So much of the content in these threads (and WoD/CofD chat rooms/forums) reads like buzzword central to me. "What would happen if an Archmage Antideluvian Uratha embraced a Changeling Ghoul Deviant? Would I have enough Arcana for that?"

I realize that what I said above isn't coherent with the setting, and I do know the meanings of all those terms in WoD/CofD-speak, but in my mind the contents of these threads all meld together into that overall vibe and message. I think a lot of the compelling ideas in fiction are when you have a story where there are only ONE or TWO truly weird or supernatural things are going on at a time in the entire story.

I think urban fantasy in general has this problem, an oversaturation of the supernatural, and a too-granular specificity of its workings, that makes it just come off as a bit whack.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I'm running V5 for my players and I have some problems.
1. I don't know how to really include the personal horror aspect of the game. I think I'm doing well when it comes to politics/social intrigue etc but I simply don't have a single clue on how to make my game even remotly creepy.

2. How do I encourage my players to take part in kindred politics? Only 2 out 5 are somehow engage in politics and talk to other kindred on elysiums and other social occasions about stuff that doesn't concern the main plot.

3. How to deal with a fishmalk? I made a mistake of believing my player that he's going to roleplay a serious malkavian. Now I have to deal with a dude who's
-supposedly a serial killer
never killed anyone in game
-Refuses to enter cars
Not because he doesn't like cars/is scared of them etc. It's because the player thinks it's funny if he's character jogs everywhere.
-Most of the time speaks in third person then randomly switches to speaking like a normal person for no reason
-Makes anime references in character.
I tried talking to him about it and it resulted in him basically not saying anything next session and a week after that he went back to his normal shenanigans.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Fly away, troll.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Is there some kind of bias against the Gangrel clan i'm missing?

In both V20 and V5 (different DMs) i'll get owned in frenzy rolls and get a tail or cat ears while the "caster" classes like Lasombra and Tremere players get babied. The attitude is always "well that's what you get for playing Gangrel".

Idk maybe just me

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

So Ravnos can't go into torpor?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

My V5 vampire was caught stealing copper wire from an abandoned construction site and now has a court date set for morning time. Obviously I can't make it because it's day time.

Any good ideas how I can get out of this?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Fantastic ideas all, thanks!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Yeah in this game the difficulty is amped up pretty high since my guy has no dots in resources. He's also Alley cat Brujah so every meal is hard fought and the storyteller does not handwave off dice. It's really fun.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Hey, first-time ST here running a v5 campaign soon.

I'm running a campaign with a perma-ST that never gets the chance to play despite playing VtM's for more than a decade. He knows a poo poo load of lore and promptly gives full presentations on any topic whenever someone asks.

The thing is, when he showed me his character, it had a ton of things. When I asked if this all was covered with the basic XP of a character, he said he didn't do it based on XP, but on his history. Things like Haven 3, Contacts 3, and what not. Full of flaws, but also full of merits.

I don't know a lot about VtM, I just barely finished the playerbook of v5, so I don't know if I'm allowing a monster or not. How can I know if a character is overpowered rather than simply checking disciplines? Are there any redflags you guys can point me of obvious bad characters people do that I should be wary of? Is ''I didn't use XP, I did it according to my history'' a red flag, or common among veterans?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

A rough session where a stray dog was fully drained by a Gangrel PC caused a few people in the group to be a little uneasy, but in a game of personal horror it's kinda difficult to gauge where the group is mentally at without spoilering some of the content.

Has anyone ever given anything out like this for their players? Was there any success?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I would like a feedback about an idea:

I like WOD lore but I hate V5 and everything they did. I also love Requiem vampires and system. Specially 1e Requiem.

I will start a new campaign in a couple months time and Im thinking of using Requiem with Masquerade.
Using the idea listed in Beckets diary about multiples types of Gehenna, it would start as a change in the blood of Cainites.

First the power of generation would be destroyed and changed to Blood potency. For most vampires that dont use Thaumaturgy the change will go unnoticed. But Thaumaturges would notice that every single vampire is counted as 0th generation. Elders would start to feel the effect of high blood potency (need for vampire blood, animal blood stop working,etc) and some would refer to old nodhists texts about sleeping to weaken the blood.

The generation power also destroyed the clan ties, leaving the 5 clans of Requiem. A vampire would still be able to connect to their old clan (now in the system as bloodlines) but that would require a certain power of blood. Vampire nodhists would have lots of theories about it, most would think that now they are closer to the 2nd generation than the third. The fact that there is 5 main bloodlines would be explained using the theory that some third generations actually used diablerie on the second generation. So the Daeva would be considered descendants of Zillah, to give an example.
It all started in the late 90´s so now in 2021 people are already used to it.

What would you think of playing in this sort of game?