Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

At least they made Child Satyrs explicitly less horny in the 20th Anniversary Edition. Also, mental health professionals are not the most dangerous thing in the world, or the crushing banality of having a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

Wraith 20 is pretty good, tho. Despite the 60-page comic that appears before the table of contents.

I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking of when they decided on this. Wraith 20 is amazing because it manages to contain everything you need to play Wraith, but you just have to flip past nearly a whole source book worth of pages to even start looking at it.

The setting stuff is particularly strong. It does a very good job of describing Stygia looks and feels like, which I feel that they never really did a great job with before. There is even a cool map! I think this is really fantastic because it is the one place that will always be relevant in a game, because the setting is going to be your local area because ghosts are everywhere.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

gently caress, I gotta pick up Wraith 20 now don't I?

Absolutely.

Of all the 20th Anniversary books, other than I suppose Changeling, Wraith 20 is definitely the one that feels the most like a improved new edition of the game and not just just a big summary of the previous edition in one big book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

As a North Carolinian I am very excited to here about the Ventrue fighting a proxy war against teachers.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I would legit like to try playing Changeling 20.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Archonex posted:

This seems about as likely to end as well as a pyromaniac becoming a firefighter. So yeah. Fun times I guess.

The best part is getting to decide who has mental problems because of biology/trauma and who was just cursed by God.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Holy poo poo is Vampire Magechat a drag. Like, sure buddy everyone is allowed to do whatever dumb bullshit in their own games. No problems there.

If you want to really do something similar but far easier just play Requiem 1st edition and join the Ordo Dracul and get into a Hungarian marriage with someone. A lot less annoying too.

PS: Unless your pc is a member of clan Tremere, you will be at the top of the hit list, have fun.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

Mage chat, obviously.

One advantage to Magechat is that at least I can't understand the how and why the ideas are bad sometimes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mulva posted:

I don't know, you seemed to have repeated the "They'll just kill you if you try this" bit like it hadn't already brought up, so I don't know that you understood *this* conversation either. On the plus side, you have 20% more posts in the thread! Dip your toe, get weird with it. What do you really, really want to talk about?

Holy smokes you are unpleasant.

More on topic, why would you be interested in playing a character that avoids one of the main core elements of the premise? Preying on the innocent because you are forced to in order to live in the central conceit of being a vampire. If you want to tell a story about trying to do something positive with your life Promethean is right there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

As a regular pdf buyer, I am extremely happy to spend money on this project. It is an incredible labor, and not getting anything for it feels extremely unfair.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Simple Stat Blocks definitely are the way things exist from Onyx Path.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

It also has his latest take on Shadowguiding from Wraith, which is super interesting but I'm still not sure if it actually works in play.

:allears:

Ah, the best and most difficult mechanic to actually use.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I know we're probably not as deep knowledge-wise on Changeling: The Dreaming fluff but did they ever hit at broadly a reason the Arcadian sidhe were kicked back to Earth?

The moon landing, right?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Gerund posted:

Wouldn't the act of exploding count as forging the iron? Or is this an in-built irony?

:perfect:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really hope Mummy 2 makes it so your particular Mummy Gang actually gives you some powers beyond one trick one and some slight flavor.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Sometimes things should just end if it isn't worth paying anyone to do them. :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

Are you saying we should not let the very weird man who probably spells magic with K unironically, a chance to write more silly books about urban wizards (but not the bad ones lest we become possessed by their evil)?

It is more that it is a shame they can't get anyone I would like more to do it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mulva posted:

Here's a thought exercise for you: Is Set a vampire?

Fixed this for you.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Nessus posted:

By this cockamamie reasoning, a Garou channeling an ancestor spirit is more a vampire than the ur-vampire himself. A Risen! A wraith using Inhabit! A Hollow One! Granted a Hollow One would probably be more Goth than Caine.

The garou isn't dead though?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Until very recently, World of Darkness games were the only thing I have ever known women to really play and be excited about. Not that women didn't play d&d ever 20 years ago, but even then games of just women playing vampire or mage was a thing locally.

I am glad in the increasing diverse player base these days, but WoD has always been way ahead of that curve.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Kindred of the East the same way I like anime OVAs from the 80s and 90s.

I also have way too much knowledge of it's lore.

Same. I remember playing it in high school and the guy running it definitely leaned heavy on the Anime super hero team angle so it was goofy fun.

As a Resplendent Crane I always loved that two of my Dharma rules were "Hey my man, also follow these 20 other rules" I was in a buddy cop situation with a Devil Tiger and we both lived together in our Ninja Turtles style sewer apartment.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Going back over it I shouldn't be surprised, but they don't even really give South Korea much mention. If it's not China or Japan (and really, Hong Kong or Tokyo) then GTFO.

The heretical dharma book has a bit more variety, but yeah. I think that the Trashing Dragons had some Korean penanggalan stuff going on.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

kaynorr posted:

You'd basically have to Scion the poo poo out of the writing process - I know they went above and beyond to be respectful to all the real-world faiths portrayed, but did the additional effort translate into better sales? I really hope so, because I'd love to see them Scion the poo poo out of Mage: The Awakening.

:smith: I would like to think so, but I can't imagine that it did.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

.....so yeah, is there anything in any of the books that really accomplishes that, seeing as Beast went in such an unfortunate direction? I'd guess Geist, but I figured people in here would know.

Just play Wraith, the best game. There are two guilds that are specifically about spooky haunted house powers and another that is dream stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I always liked that you could make the afterlife as populated as you needed it to be. Crowded enough they many cities can support a cool underground of Guilds, but sparce enough that you can also tell really small stories.

Also, tons of ghosts become soulsteel or burn as torches at the edge of the Necropolis.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Sometimes I think it is a shame that Mummy the Resurrection got so few books. It was an interesting and certainly unique idea for the time. Still not sure what you are supposed to do other than hang out in the middle east and fight evil in a very general way. By the second book you could tell they just dumped in some high level powers you would never get or use and just :shrug:

Having a background that letbyou come back to life faster was good, but the countdown should have started was earlier than a year.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I kind of got the impression it was "oh, the Contagion can be anything you want!".

It is declining literacy rates.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hell yeah, Trinity rules. I really want to run it for some people locally but it definitely is a harder sell than "You are a rowdy Werewolf".

Having the complete storyline in the corebook from start to finish is really nice. I like the idea of knowing what happens if your party doesn't do anything, but giving you something to play with if you want. Way better than the old infinitely ongoing story with no end.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xinder posted:

I’m paying regardless, but gently caress yea gimme that narrative telling

:same:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I have been wanting to play Kindred of the East again lately. What an odd thing to think about in TYOOL 2019.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I almost made a big post defending KotE.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

:same:

There are definitely a lot of problems with it, but like most white wolf games it does work better if you ignore all other game lines not directly addressed in the text of the game.

Still, if I hadn't enjoyed playing it in the past it would be a weird one to get into now.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Bring back Shadowguiding. At least that way the Beast puts you at the cruel whims of another player and not just random chance.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

What does OPP have in the pipeline other than the things they have currently kickstarted? Will there be another Vampire the Requiem book? Or is the situation more that everyone is working on the Kickstarter things so in a few years we will get another batch of kickstarted books and the cycle will continue.

I have really enjoyed the Trinity Aeon stuff I have played and definitely am interested in more in that setting. At the same time I am very glad that the book included a complete timeline from start to finish of what will happen if the PCs don't exist. Even if nothing else ever releases I know the kinds of things that are intended to happen, and it all has a defined conclusion too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Oh, neat.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I would be very interested in a more streamline. Having played since 1st edition, I really like a lot about the setting and the wild over the top heroic stuff the game is designed for. While I usually don't mind a crunchy game, one flip through of the corebook just killed my Exalted groups interest to get back into it.

It sucks being post college where everyone has jobs and relationships to deal with sometimes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ars Magica is all about that non-combat crunch.

And I'll never get to play it. :smith:

:smith: Extremely same.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

My big stumbling block to Ars Magica is that, while it is indeed the perfect game, it requires a really huge amount of buy in from your group. Much more so than most games do.

The corebook is also pretty dry compared to the source books, on account of all the rules. So many rules. The system is actually very simple, but the huge amount of additions to rolls makes the formulas look way more scary than they actually are.

House Tytalus forever frankly. I managed to sell one player on the game by describing Darth Sidious as a very easy Tytalus character concept.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

If you want to get into the wild poo poo, House Criamon is amazing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ugh, this is making me want to reread all my Ars Magica books and try to slap a campaign together again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Jhet posted:

It would be amazing to play Ars Magica, but it’s hard enough to find people to play an Awakening game, I don’t know enough people with the amount of reading time to make AM even an option.

If I did, I would definitely buy those books and read them. Until then it would just work it’s way into my brain much like Shadowrun did in the early 00’s where it became a perfect game in my head that I have still never gotten to play. Now there is no game that could ever live up to my imagination.

I’ll just stick to occasionally throwing cyberpunk stuff into my Awakening game.

Ars Magica is one of the reasons I have never really gotten on well with any version of Mage. Obviously the settings are really different, but the Ars Magica system is a lot simpler while also allowing you to do whatever you can imagine. I think the granularity of having 10 nouns and 5 verbs makes it very clear as to what you can do.

Mage the Awakening is a huge improvement over Ascension in terms of structure for sure. The addition of Atlantis as the thing relating everyone together as opposed to 9 random groupings of people that happen to be wizards.