Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Demon is the best, Hunter is the most underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Make something up that is like Dagon but different

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

nWoD by and large seems to shy away from canon, even when specific places or events are mentioned they tend to be shrouded in conjecture and / or obvious hearsay. It's one of the reasons why grogs didn't take to it so well

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mummy 2nd ed is now being kickstarted https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/339646881/mummy-the-curse-2nd-edition

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocy8TseK88I

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

^^ this but ppl trying to figure out what the point of Mummy is

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Please do not besmirch the beautiful, delicate and extremely purposeful layout, nay, architecture of 2E Werewolf core. We’ve been over this in the thread

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Free Cog posted:

Hunters Entertainment is going to develop Werewolf: The Apocalypse 5th Edition.

This reminds me that I should check out Kids on Bikes, like I always keep meaning to.

They're still going on about "transmedia" IP, I see

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What does that mean?
Swedracula's nebulous plan was to bring his beloved LARP culture back in a big way by making everything else in the WoD subordinate to it. Groups would report whatever their bullshit was and it would become canon for books, games etc.

Him being him, aka an ideas guy aka a dumb rear end in a top hat, it never even really got past the elevator pitch stage. He's like the very sad kid who used to come into my work and tell me all about he was going to make a super gaming PC with two motherboards

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

*Deus Ex "I spill my drink" voice*

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I failed my roll.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

I'm looking at running a nWoD/CoD one-shot/short adventure. Are any of the demos or SAS modules particularly good/notably bad?
All the bits in the Horror Recognition Guide have corresponding modules in the “Collection of Horrors”. The one where players start off in a speeding car w/ a woman giving birth to a shoggoth in the backseat struck me as a particularly strong premise

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Paradox contracted text-based CYOA developer Choice of Games to make three Vampire games. COG has its rough gems but, and I say this with all due affection, they're pretty openly a shovelware company. Still, might make for some schlocky enjoyment.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Soonmot posted:

My group lives by "be gay, do crime" so the tone tends to be less serious. I find that's really useful because when I do bring out the horror elements, or make something serious, it really ups the stakes for my players.

Basically this. this Deep RP is not something I’ve ever been able to achieve in Tabletop, tbh, aside from PBP.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Doing my part and manually archiving every page of every mugrim PBP

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

Any world/CoD discords set up?

There's an official CoD server but Idk how one is invited

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Surprise!!!

Rockpapershotgun posted:

“Until recently, I was the Narrative Lead on a videogame called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 for Hardsuit Labs, Inc being published by Paradox Interactive (which owns 30% of Hardsuit Labs). After almost five years involvement with the studio, I was suddenly terminated on 7/16/20.

That this came as a shock to me is underselling it. I’ve worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost five years. The story and main cast was initially conceived in my living room. I helped develop the pitch for Hardsuit Labs and helped pitch the project to Paradox in Las Vegas. I’ve been in charge of the narrative since the beginning, working long days and sometimes weekends to deliver a successor to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I’ve never been led to believe that I hadn’t succeeded. Very obviously, I have also been involved in the PR and marketing side of things, even though it was one of the most difficult parts for me. I’m a pretty private person – press and crowds tend to heavily trigger my social anxiety (which, if you’ve ever wondered about the gloves, they are “armor” that make me feel less exposed in situations that trigger my anxiety).

Bloodlines and the fandom of the game mean the world to me. So I lent my legacy with the franchise, my name, and my participation in marketing efforts for the game, even when it was intensely difficult and took a mental and physical toll. This is all because I wanted to do what was best for the game and the team.

The pride in the work, the fan expectations, and the support from co-workers who started out as fans kept me going through this long five years. And I’m incredibly disappointed and frustrated to say that this is where it ends for me on the project.

I was not part of the conversations that led to the decision to delay production, and to my knowledge, there were no delays caused by the Bloodlines 2 narrative development. I am confident and proud of the work that I and my team put forward. When that work will be seen and what form it will take is unknown to me.

It was a pleasure to work on this game and with many people at Hardsuit Labs and Paradox and I’m sorry I won’t be able to see it to the end. I spent years on some of the best characters and dialogue that I ever wrote. It’s meant a lot to hear from the Bloodlines community and I do hope that what’s finally delivered is as satisfying as I intended it to be. Thanks to all of you who supported me throughout the project.”

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Remember how it couldn't get worse than this?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I Am Just a Box posted:

It's bad, but it still doesn't sound as bad as
I mean, objectively speaking, doing the full court press of preorders with figurines, ARGs, announcing a whole-rear end DLC schedule, trade show stuff, getting within one quarter of release and then replacing director-level staff makes for lesser anecdotes, sure. But it is a far greater caliber of publisher clown show. Not only did they make a game, they marketed and sold a game, that they didn't even want to unceremoniously dump, but retool at the very last minute. It's not just stupid, it's scummy. It's disastrous decision making that speaks to very bad leadership - even worse leadership than it took to put Swedracula in charge of something.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's more likely that "creative direction" doesn't refer to Mitsoda's vision for how the setting will be portrayed, but rather how the game will play. Which, given how many years it's been in the hopper, is an insane dispute to have.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

This is either a Freelancer scenario where the publisher has to step in to make sure the game ships at all, or or something is being kept under wraps. It's probably the former, but after Avellone...

Scuttlebutt indicates it's not a misconduct thing, but who can say at this point?

CottonWolf posted:

If it's a gameplay thing, you don't fire the narrative lead, do you?
Mitsoda was brought in by Cluley, the creative director, extremely early in the process. They're both being fired. A possibility is that Mitsoda's work was integral to Cluley's vision of the game generally, and that when Paradox wanted to deviate from it (again, two quarters from release), both were made redundant.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Actually per Kotaku Cluley hasn't been fired, but he has been removed from the game's development. Which I think suggests that without Cluley, Mitsoda had no champion, and Cluley's departure from the project left him vulnerable - that's just how basic office politics tends to shake out.

Provided that there's no misconduct at play, it certainly says something about either Mitsoda's performance or Paradox's understanding of what they have and what Bloodlines fans want. Either or both could be the case. But it's absolutely clear that whatever trouble development was in, Paradox botched management in several critical ways.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

Where's "Two quarters from release" coming from?
If it was due Christmas of 2020 until just recently.

Of course, given the way development and marketing have shaken out, it's absolutely possible that Paradox went full court with PR and intentionally overstated progress. But that just strengthens the larger point about Paradox's publicly horrendous management of the game. Development hell disasters happen all the time but it's rare for such games to be publicly pushed and exhibited and promised in that state the way VTMB2 was.

Usually you get a teaser and maybe a game concept demo and then, if the project implodes, it's kept under wraps. The developer just goes silent until either the game is retooled or canceled outright - Prey 2 would be one example of a game that got a teaser and then quietly scrapped to change hands and become a different game entirely, Bioshock Infinite is a game that got a bigger E3 debut and then got radically changed before reemerging in later years. Publishers keep the sausage making of development quiet for good reason, and don't make promises. Because otherwise you get the scenario we're seeing now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

I don't think Paradox is used to having to seriously manage subsidiaries, especially ones outside Europe. Half the problems with White Wolf before their dissolution came from the idea that they would be fine on their own to make licensing deals and such.
If you can't manage subsidiaries then you should really rethink being a major game publisher. "We're new here" isn't much of an excuse when you're rolling in cash. And yeah, while we all hated what a dork Swedracula is, he didn't come with White Wolf, he was given it by Paradox. Which really ought to have reflected more poorly on Paradox than it did on Swedracula, honestly.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mitsoda was quite adamant that Bloodlines 2 would break from the nascent V5 tradition of being nazi dogshit when the game was announced, it was basically the first thing they made clear.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It might not have anything to do with Mitsoda's performance. Cluley was creative lead, not Mitsoda, and they were by all accounts joined at the hip. If Paradox wanted to change the game from Cluley's vision and thus removed Cluley, where does that leave Mitsoda?

The thing that you realize after a few years in project management is that executive buy-in is absolutely key. On the scale of something like Bloodlines 2, projects need c-suite level support. If someone low on the totem pole wants something or has an idea, they'll need to run it up the chain and a lot of the time, almost always, those decisions that require allotment of time and money need a high level exec to say "this is what we're doing" and most crucially, order everyone involved to do what's being asked. Because with big teams, not everyone's on the same page, and if you don't have someone to crack the whip, people in different silos are probably not going to get what they need when they need it.

For that reason, especially big projects tend to be "pets" of executives, an executive adopts a given project, be it a film or game or product, and that is their baby - they make sure it gets organizational resources, and in turn they get the credit if it ends up succeeding. They also get blamed if the project fails. By that same token, if the exec who owns a project departs, or is demoted, or whatever, then that project can suddenly find itself in a lot of trouble. Without that mouthpiece to hype the project to the money men, what was "a cool and promising game" one day becomes "a whole lot of money risked for unclear reasons" the next.

So again, Cluley was the c-suite guy at Hardsuit Labs championing the game as it was a month ago, and he was answerable to Paradox. Mitsoda, by all accounts, was someone that Cluley brought in and was integral to Cluley's vision for Bloodlines 2. But if Paradox lost faith in Cluley (and given his removal from the game despite being the highest-level creative worker in the company, it's extremely likely that's the case), then Mitsoda, whatever the quality of his work, is a baby that goes out with Cluley's bathwater. That kind of poo poo happens all the time. It's hard to believe Paradox when they say they're looking to preserve the creative direction of the game when they've removed the creative leads.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nervous Paradox shareholders

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One day, when I have regressed to whatever state I was in pre-2020, I will play Deviant, now that it's out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'd be happy to get a plain language :effortpost: on how the mechanics work - these days I can't muster the attention span to read and comprehend a new rulebook

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Super interesting! Thank u all for the involved posting.

It reminds me a lot of Demon - mechanically interesting, very flexible, but a lot to keep track of. Like how I straight up forget the whole condition / beat system or lose track of aether.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Who’s played Deviant

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Reflections85 posted:

A bit off topic, but what authors do you think have taken Lovecraft further and turned it inside out? I've never loved Lovecraft myself, but I've enjoyed some of the cosmic horror and new weird fiction that has a debt to him.

Depends on what you mean and what you've already read.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm just going to come out and say that the "this is actually the movie Unfriended" formal constraint where everyone is isolated is the sort of concept that might seem briefly cool on paper, but is just not going to work unless you do a really elaborate interactive theater / LARP thing with mounted cameras. Even then I don't think it's worth it. Just do a regular mind's eye TTRPG session and if you're really married to the initial concept, split them up in a way that has one group relying on another and staying in contact, a la Aliens. If you have five people doing five things simultaneously it's going to drag. Bringing characters together is like 90% of the work of picking up slack in a game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

“The Empty Man” is a pro watch for all CoD heads.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

5E heads can go ahead and rewatch the Highlander

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s a land of contrasts, that’s for sure

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

hot mess incoming

https://twitter.com/TashaRobinson/status/1387153888818696192?s=20

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ither posted:

What about Alien game about crash landing on Earth?

The goal is to return home without being capture by the government.

Oh you mean Demon. Yeah, it’s cool

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Choice of Games announced their next VtM game. Due on the 29th, first few chapters are out now:

quote:

You’ve barely settled into your new home of Jericho Heights on the outskirts of Chicago, before discovering that vampires live in town. You’re struggling to start a new life, meet new people, and maybe even find love. But when your neighbors start disappearing, you’re forced to take action.

Take on the role of a vampire hunter to save your town from the influence of Chastain, a vampire more than a century old. When a group of young thin-blood vampires start a war with Chastain, will you choose sides, or hunt them all?

Gather your forces and sharpen your stake to take back the night!
Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, or bi.
Choose from classic VtM attributes and skills to build out your character.
Enjoy 17 character portraits.
Meet an ensemble cast of dynamic characters each with their own skills.
Romance other characters, either human or vampire.
Hunt vampires, study their ways, or try to be Embraced.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

It should be a mystery to the PCs. It shouldn't be a mystery to the ST or to the writers of the book, and I absolutely loathe that "the plot holes are intentional and you're wrong for wanting any kind of answer" kind of writing; especially when given as sample plots to run. If I don't like the options given I can tweak them a little or come up with my own if I want, but I at least want some kind of baseline default resolution/conclusion to the plot. "Something bad might happen" isn't really helpful.

On the contrary, it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Blue book is not meant to be Buffy. It’s meant to be a Clive Barker short story generator. If you actually mix lines, mortals are hosed.