Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Not only did they, but it was a werewolf only martial art that involved limited form changes. Your homid fist could turn into a crinos claw as you connected with some chump, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Because of the Delirium it's usually something like a guy in a gorilla costume just karate chopped someone's head off, and that seems completely rational.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Loomer posted:

That's some jank-rear end CGI.

Releasing Werewolf exclusively to 3DO and Atari Jaguar was a period-appropriate decision driven by nostalgia.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

WoD has had miniatures before, and they were kinda dumb then too.

Except the Werewolf the Apocalypse ones, which were awesome.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Deny. As a Toreador, he'd have been remembered as a great actor involved with some political trivia.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Have you wondered at the dark truth behind the Kindred's Census Bureau?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Someimes while attempting a challenging task at work, I get unlucky and immediately need to take my lunch break.

Loomer posted:

No, my good goons, I put it to you that the true mother of the good boys and girls were the earliest Bone Gnawers, who - seeing an opportunity to get a meal for nothing, a place to sleep, and a belly rub without having to engage in tedious small talk - persuaded lupine kinfolk to come and play nicely with the humans so that they might pose as the goodest of boys.

Wouldn't the first Good Boys be lupine kinfolk of human-born garou? It seems like a more natural starting point because of their commonality.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The lupine kinfolk would have families packs, though. The pack would see their garou-aligned member making inroads and benefiting from the relationship with the furless two-legs, and they'd also want the belly rubs, chewbones, and meatsnacks.

I guess turning them into dogs was another matter though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

No I agree that Bone Gnawers are the best tribe but making wolves into doggos was probably Magework or a long forgotten good guy Tzimicze.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cerebulon posted:

But why in the name of fresh gently caress is there a flat $50 international shipping fee for a hardcover copy.

It's part of what's making America great again.

:barf::patriot:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kurieg posted:

As others have repeatedly pointed out, the Malks aren't a representation of mental illness (which is such a ludicrously large umbrella as would be near impossible to turn into mechanics) they are a representation of the Victorian concept of "madness".

Calling what Malks have a "mental illness" is insulting in the extreme.

This landed in the "bottom of last page oubliette" but it absolutely bears repeating.

The Malkavian curse has as much in common with mental illness as Celerity does with life speed training. It's a supernatural exaggeration, not representation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pentex is a fun big tent company that covers all sorts of mad science, but don't forget that it's primarily a company.

This facility will probably have some innocuous name like New Way Research and be indistinguishable from anything you might find in an industrial park from the outside.

BSD are Wyrm but they're not thematically Pentex, and wouldn't be around as security. Check out Pentex First Teams instead.

The surface floor would probably be incredibly mundane. Records, offices, rooms for focus groups, meeting rooms, an auditorium, warehousing, etc.

Start getting into the weird on other levels. The room where they trap banes to infuse into prototypes, the morgue, the real records archives, test creature holding cells, etc. Look into Dulce Base if you haven't already. It's a "real" conspiracy theory about an alien R&D station on Earth, and the material there wouldn't be hard to reskin and dovetails perfectly with what you're working on.

Axqu posted:

if they overcome their revulsion to the gross cockroach abomination man (rolling to do so, natch)

"Roll the dice to see if I'm allowed to play my character" is never the right move. Just let the players make up their minds here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

I'm not so sure about this, there's long history of BSDs both collaborating with and actually taking positions in PENTEX, as high up as C-suite executives. The BSDs are among the main interfaces between more mundane Pentex elements and the Wyrm's banes.

e: unless things have changed quite considerably with W20, at any rate.

BSD definitely have a space within Pentex, but not as night watchmen, especially at a facility where nothing is expected to happen.

Pentex would cynically employ human guards to watch the place, with a first team on ice below deck just in case. They could even be (unknowingly) armed with silver alloyed ammo. It wouldn't be useful after the Delirium takes hold, but they're not meant to wipe the party.

It still makes sense to have one or two BSD on staff, but walking the perimeter is very much below their pay grade. Maybe as a chief of security, or head bane binder.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Something else that's thematically interesting about using regular humans as low-level Pentex employees is that most of them aren't evil, they're just there for a paycheck and clueless about what's really going on.

It's an opportunity to have a better "contractors on the death star" moment - minus the easy out of villains knowing they're working on a gigantic WMD. Is it ok to tear a guy in half for (as far as he knows) only manufacturing boner pills and shampoo? What about his boss? Or her boss? Where is that line?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Twilight vampires were pretty much no downside, right?

I feel like they'd still get their shirt wrecked by vampires from either WoD - Mostly because they haven't spent eternity scheming on how to murder each other.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Slasher would make for a fantastic game where you remap them to overly-violent 80s action heroes. Just a party of Snake Plisskins, Johns Rambo and McClaine, and the cast of Predator taking on the World of Darkness.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I also attributed my V5 apathy to all the alt right poo poo.

It was also pretty strange that White Wolf seems to be treating nWoD like a revision of oWoD, at least in the survey's presentation. That's never ever been what it was.

Also "how much representation of social issues do you want?" was a loaded, bad question. Yeah I think trans NPCs are good, unless hateful shitheads write them as an attack in a weird personal vendetta. There's a lot of conversation to have about immigration , but don't portray refugee children as ISIL child soldier sleeper agents.

I mean, come the gently caress on Nü White Wolf. Thanks for reminding me why we broke up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Metapod posted:

V5 is a great system and everything any of yall had against it could be written away or made irrelevant if you had any creativity (because the meta plot doesn't matter)

"Buy this book to ignore most of and rewrite the rest because it's the product of garbage edgelords with trash opinions."

Gee, when you put it that way $60USD is a bargain!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Metapod posted:

how do I make my game fun and less about world building

Oh that one's easy, you just skip it and play a game that isn't built on a reprehensible world-view.

Like literally any other version of Vampire.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It was pretty cool to see VtES in there, but 90% of the experience would die on a tablet app.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Remember when we weren't going to evangelize V5? Wasn't that nice?

E: I've got serious loving problems with it, and you sealioning in to accuse me of being "uncreative" for not wanting to DIY massive workarounds doesn't make me or anyone else want to go throw money at your pwecious misunderstood game.

It's patronizing. Rehabilitating that bomb is way beyond the scope of this or any other thread.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 31, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oberst posted:

from someone who actually plays the games.

I'm going to charitably assume you're not intentionally being condescending as gently caress with this poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Metapod posted:

No I'm just saying yall are huge hypocrites. You really believe v5 is the one and only world of darkness book that has homophobia or racism or etc in it?

Interacting with you is always the wrong decision, but there is a huge difference is between the background racism of the nineties and the direct, knowing, and intentional racism and bigotry V5 invoked to sell books to shitheads.

The 90s WoD made mistakes, but they were mistakes of ignorance.

V5's "mistakes" were a deliberate attempt to court customers, customers who would appreciate slaying gay nightclub goers, framing immigrants as a threat, normalizing pedophilia, and an oh so subtle 1488 reference.

Old WW could have done better, sure. But they didn't go out of their way to appeal to the wrong side of a Charlottesville rally.

It's obvious that you've got a crush on this system and setting, but honey he's no good for you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's not an excuse, but it's a gently caress of a lot less bad than actively choosing to pander to neo-nazis.

Blood and Soil^H^Huls

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I know WoD Mirrors had a section on post-apocalyptic settings, but I can't vouch for how helpful or relevant it would be.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Not much info here, but the latest Wraith20 update included this:

quote:

And Here's Our Latest Kickstarter:

Starting on Thursday, February 6th at 2pm EST, we are launching the Kickstarter for Hunter: The Vigil 2e for Chronicles of Darkness!

Well that's something fun for tomorrow.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There were "official dice," but now they're annoyingly expensive ebay sets.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Tacky as it would be to make Kobe a vampire, he should be from a clan with Protean because we know he can Earth Meld.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This is Beast:

Turbo annihilating immersion at the speed of sexual predator.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

Like, the stuff a beast does is so much worse than even a very murdery vampire that anyone - a player or the character - who thinks they're doing good by being a petty, sadistic, manipulative, psychological trauma elemental is morally beyond the pale.

The movie Commando had more outcry over the scene where Arnold knocks out two guard dogs than any of its other violence.

And I think the reason for this is that it's imitable violence. Nobody's going to shoot missiles at cars or machine guns at bad guys - but anyone can punch a dog. It resisters as more real than the other fantasy violence.

Beast represents an extremely imitable evil. Nobody is going to turn into a werewolf and rage through a Walmart, or use their vampire powers to shoplift in real life. It's fantasy violence.

But Beast? All of the interpersonal bullshit, exploiting and abusing others, disguising power dynamics, and victimization are real things that people face. It's gross and trivializing, and I suspect it's by design with intent to put abusers on the same cool kids tier as Wolfman or Frankenstein.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think they backed away from this in 2e, but Requiem 1e had a cool thing where a vampire's psyche was basically a collection of animated memories and emotion.

A vampire mob boss yelling at a disloyal lieutenant might slip into yelling at his ungrateful son from life. Maybe every subject a vampire artist painted had echoes of the lover she left behind.

It wasn't full on vampire dementia / senility, but basically "life" was over and the vampire's requiem was a melting pot / recycle bin remix of the lived life.

It was a cool concept that left a lot of creative secondary effects. A vampire teen would only ever have a teen's experience and perceptions to draw from, for example. But for practical purposes, it didn't make much difference in-game, since it was more of a ceiling to character growth than anything else.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

How are these books for adding $3 to my Hunter pledge?

Mortal Remains [Hunter: The Vigil 1E] PDF
Block by Block [Hunter: The Vigil 1E] PDF
Tooth and Nail [Hunter: The Vigil 1E] PDF

Mortal Remains is the enemy book that covers the stuff outside of the vampire/woof/mage enemy books.

Block by Bloody Block is a campaign guide that introduced tiers IIRC and also sets you up for an almost wargame-style campaign to free a city of monsters.

Tooth and Nail was some Beast poo poo, so I didn't care.

If you're getting one, Block by Block is probably the best pick.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In addition to all those extremely valid points, the V5 fans who didn't care about how lovely it was really poisoned the well.

However rehabilitated it gets, my first impression of the player base will always have been formed by the fanboys who dismissed its genuinely awful and harmful elements.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

She also acted as Mearls' "Herald of Compassion" prop, which was a pretty gross and cynical stab at rehabbing Next.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well poo poo, now I want to run Slashers-powered Inglorious Basterds / Dirtiest Dozen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Why wouldn't OWoD Jesus have True Faith in, uh, himself?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Today's is Werewolf 20

Efb

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Immortals is weird. It's basically non- vampires with alternate immortality schemes but who are also monstrous in other ways IIRC. It's very niche, and they're much more rare in the WoD than vampires.

One might make for a compelling antagonist, since their memories aren't scrambled by the fog of ages. Maybe they know something you need to.

I've heard mixed things about Strange Dead Love, you're probably best looking for something more universally applicable like Chicago or even one of the Free RPG Day starters that's full of NPCs.

Reap the Whirlwind was terrible as an introductory pickup game, but it's great as a resource to work into your campaign. And it's free! Now it's $2 at DriveThru. It drops you in the middle of courtly intrigue with a ton of NPCs to investigate. Ie: Not an ideal place for players who couldn't get into the Pathfinder demo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I had 100% forgotten about this Unsolved Mysteries episode that deals with crimes associated with "Vampire games" (Segment starts at 33:48) and then it came on this morning.

It's a pretty solid recap of the 90's :stare::drac: stuff, and probably worth a viewing just for the Who killed Tupac? teaser at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

VtES is such a fantastic game, and it's probably worth pointing out that the new starter boxed game is on its way: