Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

That Old Tree posted:

M20's companion Book of Secrets is also loving terrible and I hate it. M20 is far and away the worst of the anniversary lines, though that poo poo from Changing Ways sure drags down W20's average.

Wraith 20 is pretty good, tho. Despite the 60-page comic that appears before the table of contents.

It still cant be worse than nWoD Mage corebook, which made the baffling decision to have gold text on silver pages so it is literally physically unreadable at any distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone talk me out of starting a nwod reqiuem LARP in Durham because i want to tell better stories

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e3: and finally, Yamcha is a Mummy, because they find him in the desert and he gets weaker with every passing episode
:gas:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I cannot imagine using fb for pbp, it might be the worst way to communicate on earth. I'm forced to use it for my LARP fpr downtimes and stuff and I hate it more than i hate the joyless players in it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Once again, someone typed all those words when reqiuem completely obviates their necessity

Also, open call for horrorscopes time!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Desiden posted:

Now I want to play a tremere muscle wizard with some sort of potence/thaumaturgy custom power.
this is basically how we got gargoyles (the bloodline)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I need to fill inches in my Gazette for my LARP, and i wanna do a funny advice column. What are some questions for ann Landers but a vampire?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thanks everyone for your help. Issue 3 of Up Against the Wall is out. (there's two versions, with two different Ventrue horrorscopes as suggested)

Enjoy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So they killed my Setite.

Apparently whoever gave me the Assamite horrorscope, I just printed it as you typed it, I had no idea it was some sort of third rail for Assamite lore. They got to bitching to the other "elders" who then demanded I make amends to every other kindred I'd wronged. After talking with them, literally every Ancilla and Neonate was on board, and only the elders had any problems, but before I could offer boons and favors, a Nos who'd been following me all night ganked me in an alley after the Toreador Primogen said "you're worth a lot to me alive and nothing dead, so let's work this out" because the Nos and Tories are at each other's throats.

It was glorious, though, because he staked me, hid my body, then convinced the Prince to Blood Hunt me and immediately turned in my staked body and killed me to gain Triumphant status for himself. When I heard his plan, I was absolutely giddy, it was the most Vampire thing that's ever happened at our game yet.

ST's offered me an Assamite Elder concept as a temp for next game until I decide what to roll up for real. There's an XP floor in our org so I'd be at most 20 XP behind (80 xp starting vs 100 xp if I'd played every game with the same toon) so I'm currently taking concept ideas.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gerund posted:

Getting ganked as part of a clan feud and being evidence of rank Prince corruption is pretty much as much of a win you can get for less than three months of game.

The Assamite Elder offer after being ganked for touching some Assamite lore feels like a trap play. Is your org using the Assamite in the Cam lore?

The NPC character is just "hey we have an NPC we need someone to play and you don't currently have a character, here ya go." I don't think it's related to anything particular my character did.

The Assamites are in the Cam as this is BNS based off the V20 lore.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MoonKnight posted:

Which org are you part of? I'm assuming MES, which uses the BNS lore (which isn't based off of V20's lore changes, despite people calling METVtM as METV20 mistakenly).

That outcome sounds like one of the most amazing things I have ever heard about politicking and 'good backstabbing' for a LARP. So kudos to you man!

Undergound Theater

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It seems impossible that Vegas isnt an independent state held by the Gios. There could be a Cam "Prince" who doesn't actually control anything; the story is the cam trying to change that, but "Gios run Vegas" is pretty ironclad in my mind

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nessus posted:

Up from the deeps
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
Their heads in the sky
MOKOLE
MOKOLE

And Kitsune.

Oh my god i love u

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It doesn't give any mechanical benefit, but it's rad.
if the current subtitle of this thread werent perfect, this would be

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PC ghouls are also somewhat busted at very low XP totals, since they immediately get 5 discipline dots. My ghoul had Dominate 5 in the first game, when all other fresh licks were 2/1/1 at best

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nessus posted:

They were real loving stingy with Discipline dots.

Not really? Under V20/BNS you get 2/1 as starting and only can get 5 more freebie xp from flaws. Might score an extra dot from a sorcery or add in clan merit, but thats it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Loomer posted:

Was your Ghoul's domitor 4th Gen?

Nope, Ghouls just start with 5 dots in any combination they want of Celerity/Potence/Fort and any of their Domitor's clan disciplines (other than Thaum and other spellcasting stuff). The tradeoff is, Ghouls can never have more than 5 total dots of disciplines, so if (like me) you start at Dominate 5, you're basically SOL for any other disciplines ever, while vampires can, yknow, spend XP to get more.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah man i fuckin loved Kolchak, the Night Stalker too

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So after playing a temp character for the STs, I'm reafy to play a PC in my LARP. The Tremere players (mostly strong RPers who id like to game with) pitched me on a bruiser Tremere enforcer. Path of Flame + pliable blood for in clan celerity= 5 attacks tjat deal flaming agg per round.

Two things give me pause:

1) ive never played a combat character in LARP bc I think cWoD is terrible at mass combat (and all combat ends up as mass combat) and i think id hate standing arpund for ten minutes to throw a chop

2) I'm struggling to find a concept that would be interesting, as. "Mindless firefist guy" doesnt sound like it has a lot of depth, but without dots in thaum and mental stats I struggle with how else id be used.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MoonKnight posted:

How are you doing 5 attacks?

Celerity in LARP only gives at most two extra actions (both Laws of the NIght and BNS versions), and those must be physical actions.

Lure of flame ignites hands, then standard melee in every round. It's not a mental power.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The origin I came up with was I was a US Army grunt good with explosives in WWII, blowing up an old Austrian castle because Nazis were supposed to be inside. When I was the first one through the breach, the Tremere who was suddenly in a Solarium instead of a Crypt dominated me to protect him, then was forced to ghoul me to help me recover from my wounds. Things progressed from there, and between the blood bond and being a natural follower/enjoyer of kicking rear end, I eventually got the bite on me and became a Tremere heavy.

Again, this doesn't leave a lot of room for role-play; the character is a little one-note (obviously) but if you guys have a better idea I'm all ears. Someone was kind enough to send me a file that has some neat ideas in it, I'll report back if there's anything that catches my eye.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well, it's a function of who's in the Tremere - several players I like and enjoy rp'ing with. My main hangup is playing a brute. I've never done, nor even wanted, a physical, combat focused character in LARP.

If I can find an angle more interesting than 'Ben Grimm among Reed, Strange and Tony' that would go a long way, but from what I've read about the pyramid there aren't great upward mobility options for a heavy

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I will say, as a LARPer first and tabletopper rarely, the experiences and playstyles of a single coterie reacting to a single dms world of npcs is WILDLY different than a global org and 30+ pcs and 3+ staff.

In some ways, LARP is a lot closer to the vampire experience because it has so many pcs woth thsir owns plots vs a story crafted for 3-5 players

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Coteries of New York is out. What happened to my pal Calebros?

Please let me know if its any good, im an absolute slut for princess makers like Long Live the Queen and Vlad the Impaler

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Are there any major new (as in, not a re-release, not part of a series) well made high-crunch TTRPGs even being produced these days? All the major flagship standbys are coming up on almost 10 revisions apeice, and all I'm reading is that there's no clear idea as to how to shepherd the game into the kind of experience people want?
GURPS exists my man. I would posit that the system literally called the Storyteller system, whose flagship game is 'a tale of personal horror' is literally antithetical to a high-crunch system

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

aside: Shadowrun: Anarchy is the perfect Shadowrun game, because it throws out most of the cruft and only commits a few sins of hand-waving abstraction. I really like it as a pick-up-and-play RPG, there's about 50 pages of pregens that are actually cool and fun with story hooks instead of just the DM's home game PCs.

I still think Fiasco! is the better "non-gamer but a creative type" RPG, but drat if Shadowrun:Anarchy doesn't hit every note you'd want a game to hit to convince people RPGs are cool

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

One of the gags my character had once was that he needed a haircut every sunset because he was embraced with a horrible 70s Luke Skywalker blowout

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

our local LARP is doing a chronicle reset (every 4 years to keep things fresh!) and I don't have any good character ideas so I asked the ST if there were any clans underrepresented or any ideas he had. He pointed out that there were no Banu Haqim sorcerers.

I've never played a magic user in Vampire (gently caress Tremere) and never an Assamite, so curious what opinions and overarching goals that group might have. FWIW it's a Cam game, modern day using OWoD lore.

Setting baseline is that a recent Sabbat attack left the Primogen council, Sherriff and Keeper dead, which is why there's an influx of licks eager to either finally move up as they were blocked by their previous domain's elders, or just opportunists looking to grab power that's for the taking.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

reading their kit now and it seems somewhat... disjointed?

like they have quietus which is all about mixing it up and doing sick rear end vampire Ninja blade poo poo but then sorcery which is all mental tricks, but their specific sorcery is fire magic? in a clan that also has obfuscate? but my bloodline flaw is glowing unhideable auras?
it's a confused mess and has a billion different skills it wants to get the most.

I just want to play a guy that supports the clan by being the broker for our hits and collects/analyzes/synthesizes into weapons the blood we're collecting, like Q from James Bond meets Miracle Max from Princess Bride

how are sorcerers supposed to play out?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I dunno, but the V5 LARP rules are basically complete, not that your group sounds like they'd be the type to switch. I have no idea if V5 is even good as a LARP, every WoD LARP experience I've ever had has been rife with cringe and racism, it's why I don't LARP anymore.

Hopefully your group isn't lovely, though! I'd assume it's a lot better now than early late 90s/early 2ks and being a brown Muslim dude and having the GM insist that you needed to play an Assamite for "immersion" and that the Assamites had launched an attack on the Camarilla in America because yeaaaaaaaaaaahhh.

:yikes:
our troupe is exceptionally non-lovely. fade to black clauses, bad form callouts, pronouns and all that good stuff. They even switched it to Banu Haqim from Assamite just because it's IRL vaguely racist and better to just sidestep what a bunch of Atlanta suburban kids wrote in 1992.

we're using the By Night Studios MET core from 2021, which is essentially this site https://vamp.bynightstudios.com/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

Most sorcerers were locked up in the mountain before the Schism if I recall correctly. They also don't have Obfuscate pre-V5 but instead had Celerity, Thaum, and Quietus.

I think it was DA that actually had the castes powers of Quietus do different things. But Dur-An-Ki isn't specifically fire-themed, they just don't focus on Path of Blood like the Tremere.

the BNS MET rules we're using say I am a fire murderwizard

quote:

Sorcerers disciplines are Obfuscate, Quietus, and Thaumaturgy: Lure of Flames. Additionally, you may learn one other Thaumaturgy path of your choice.
So what's the most cracked-out combo with fireball hands from this list:
  • The Green Path
  • The Lure of Flames
  • The Movement of the Mind
  • The Path of Blood
  • The Path of Caelestikinesis
  • The Path of Conjuring
  • The Path of Corruption
  • The Path of Elemental Mastery
  • The Path of Neptune’s Might
  • The Path of Technomancy
  • The Path of Weather Mastery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's been a standing rule in every Vampire LARP I've ever been in that "Malkavian who thinks he's playing a Vampire TTRPG" is banned as a concept. The "Deadpool Rule" if you will