Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Wake ranked for the first time since 2008!

Purdue hasn't been ranked since 2007. They're in the 2nd worst streak for P5 right now.

The worst is Indiana, who hasn't been ranked since Nineteen Ninety-Four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’ve hammered on this already but he’s not going anywhere. It’s been a year +4 games and all the best players are freshman and sophomores that he brought in, not counting Jennings.

There’s a huge rebuild going on for us and it’ll take 4-5 years. I’ve come to grips with this but a huge portion of the UT fan base has not. (And apparently a lot of outsiders)

Having trouble finding it now but there’s a good article from the Athletic I think that goes into detail about the rebuild and how/why it’s going to take a long time. If I find it I’ll post it.

You can’t expect a first time coach to come in with the dumpster fire he walked in on and immediately expect to start winning. Yes the Ga State game was bad. But that just shows how bad things really are. I dont think it’s truly a direct reflection of Pruitt.

Guarantano is also really, really bad.

Having that big time QB recruit next year will hopefully help. So much of our issues stem from that position.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’ve hammered on this already but he’s not going anywhere. It’s been a year +4 games and all the best players are freshman and sophomores that he brought in, not counting Jennings.

There’s a huge rebuild going on for us and it’ll take 4-5 years. I’ve come to grips with this but a huge portion of the UT fan base has not. (And apparently a lot of outsiders)

Having trouble finding it now but there’s a good article from the Athletic I think that goes into detail about the rebuild and how/why it’s going to take a long time. If I find it I’ll post it.

You can’t expect a first time coach to come in with the dumpster fire he walked in on and immediately expect to start winning. Yes the Ga State game was bad. But that just shows how bad things really are. I dont think it’s truly a direct reflection of Pruitt.

Guarantano is also really, really bad.

I mean yes a rebuild but like rebuilding Tennessee should still not lose to "everyone except Chattanooga"

Granted you're right that Pruitt isn't gonna get fired any time soon but woof

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Schiano would be a good hire for Rutgers because they honestly can't get any worse than they are. But Schiano isn't going to get Rutgers back to their Big East Glory Days in the Big Ten East.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

Wake ranked for the first time since 2008!

Purdue hasn't been ranked since 2007. They're in the 2nd worst streak for P5 right now.

The worst is Indiana, who hasn't been ranked since Nineteen Ninety-Four

Last time Wake Forest was ranked the housing market crashed. All the indicators are here that it might happen again.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I never thought of Wake Forest football as the harbingers of doom, but it makes so sense now.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Komet posted:

Schiano would be a good hire for Rutgers because they honestly can't get any worse than they are. But Schiano isn't going to get Rutgers back to their Big East Glory Days in the Big Ten East.

If he can work them up to "not complete loving embarrassments" it'll get him a statue

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

hifi posted:

how is asu ranked 20

Just more evidence that no one that ranks the teams watches the games. ASU would have lost for sure if Garbers didn't get injured in the first half

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Hell week yay

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Gardner Minshew is the goat but I dont know if I would want him hanging out with my nieces and nephews without supervision.

Thanks that’s my post.

E: It’s also in the wrong thread but it should be spread far and wide.

colachute fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 30, 2019

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

kittenmittons posted:

I never thought of Wake Forest football as the harbingers of doom, but it makes so sense now.

Wake Forest Football killed Tommy Bowden and gave rise to the Evil Dabo Swinney. They are directly responsible for Clemson today.

drewhead fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 30, 2019

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

colachute posted:

Gardner Minshew is the goat but I dont know if I would want him hanging out with my nieces and nephews without supervision.

Thanks that’s my post.

E: It’s also in the wrong thread but it should be spread far and wide.

I do. They need to get introduced to good weed early so they don't get scammed in high school.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oops we were talking about it in the wrong thread.

California's bill passed:

https://twitter.com/FredNBCLA/status/1178668294401716224

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Breaking: Antonio Brown transfers to California college

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Oops we were talking about it in the wrong thread.

California's bill passed:

https://twitter.com/FredNBCLA/status/1178668294401716224

Should be fun to watch. Is the NCAA sanctioning every school and a bunch of players in the state of California a possibility?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Should be fun to watch. Is the NCAA sanctioning every school and a bunch of players in the state of California a possibility?

They’re gonna give the death penalty to the entire Pac 12 conference.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I mean, it won't be relevant til the next time there's a player in California worth an endorsement deal...

/hottake.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

I mean, it won't be relevant til the next time there's a player in California worth an endorsement deal...

/hottake.

I assumed they meant, like, schools using the athletes' images in promotional material based on the tweet.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
most of the football was real bad this weekend. two of my teams were bye and one lost to vanderbilt, but i didn't watch much bc my wife had art shows all weekend.

when i did my bet slip this morning i did it as fast as possible - the more i think the shittier i play - and so i scrolled right past auburn -3

thinking about depositing more in my account to pick that up, but also trying to keep to my rules about gambling this season. i've run out of deposits.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

I assumed they meant, like, schools using the athletes' images in promotional material based on the tweet.

Cue every business owning booster suddenly running ads with at least someone on their school's roster

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dirty shrimp money posted:

Cue every business owning booster suddenly running ads with at least someone on their school's roster

good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

fast cars loose anus posted:

If he can work them up to "not complete loving embarrassments" it'll get him a statue

I realize as I type it that this is an incredibly bleak statement, but I don't see any reason Rutgers can't be as good as Indiana.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

People are really gonna bitch about the first recruiting pitch that includes a lucrative ad campaign.

gently caress em.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's all going to be local ads, and it's all going to be pretty small potatoes. It's not like Nike and Gatorade's partners in not-California are going to abide them handing a hundred thousand to some Oregon or USC player (not over the table, anyway).

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

General Dog posted:

It's all going to be local ads, and it's all going to be pretty small potatoes. It's not like Nike and Gatorade's partners in not-California are going to abide them handing a hundred thousand to some Oregon or USC player (not over the table, anyway).

For now.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

General Dog posted:

I realize as I type it that this is an incredibly bleak statement, but I don't see any reason Rutgers can't be as good as Indiana.

Indiana is the worst program in the country over the last 25 years. They can aspire higher than that.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

General Dog posted:

I don't know? How big is Rutgers Penix? It takes a big Penix to be good.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The second California wins some court cases on this (they won't with this scotus) Alabama players are going to start getting car dealership ads

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It will be interesting in a few years when legal endorsements are the law of the land what sort of gentlemen's agreements emerge in regards to the big advertisers (Nike, Adidas, Gatorade, etc). Will the big brands hold off on signing any 5-stars until after signing day? What happens when a player with an Adidas school signs a deal with Nike?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
That's going to be such a tool for bribing recruits. Rich programs will benefit the most, as usual.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

LLCoolJD posted:

That's going to be such a tool for bribing recruits. Rich programs will benefit the most, as usual.

Like they aren't already?

NCAA could have easily gotten out ahead of this (done some sort of endorsement sharing deal, for example, or force it all into trusts that would pay out post-college), but nooo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
oh no what will we do if rich programs have a recruiting advantage.

There are already similar bills popping up in other states and the NCAA, for all their doom and gloom bullshit, had already started looking at it before the California law passed. It's inevitable that it goes national in the near future

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Already putting in my preorder for NCAA Football 2025 (with real names and likenesses!)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The universities most prominently use player likenesses and images to advertise themselves and athletes should absolutely be paid for it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The real question about the NCAA football games is that generally the likenesses are a few different models that have a close proximity to what the player looks like sometimes maybe

If this was a few years ago would Josh Dobbs have eyebrows in the game?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Raku posted:

The second California wins some court cases on this (they won't with this scotus) Alabama players are going to start getting car dealership ads

I would think scotus loves it since I'm sure businesses all over want to make money more directly off these kids

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
Does this mean I can get an "official" jersey with something other than 1 or 19 on it this year? I'd happily pay George Karlaftis for the one he's wearing.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Adun posted:

Already putting in my preorder for NCAA Football 2025 (with real names and likenesses!)

Yeah this is best thing about it.

That, and people actually getting paid for risking CTE. But get ready for Auburn to be #1 at recruiting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Will this only apply to state schools or would Stanford also be in on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

The real question about the NCAA football games is that generally the likenesses are a few different models that have a close proximity to what the player looks like sometimes maybe

If this was a few years ago would Josh Dobbs have eyebrows in the game?

The player likeness thing always felt like it was somewhere between depicting reality and generic interpretation of the overall team when it came to the video game issue.