Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
We did not have one of these threads yet. Now we do. Week five was mostly really bad. The teams who were supposed to win almost all won by like 50 points. Except Clemson almost lost to Mack Brown lmao. But then they didn't and they'll still be ranked top two because voters are cowards so who cares. Our Blood Week dreams must wait another week.

Iowa won by a whole lot and set a KIRK FERENTZ RECORD for yards in a game. Which on one hand is impressive because it covers most of college football history but on the other hand it's Kirk Ferentz so the amount is basically an average Oklahoma QB's day. This probably does not seem like news worthy of the aftermath OP but if you don't like it then you should have made your own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dango Bango posted:

An argument with my buddy - is Ohio State or Alabama better? I said Bama because they've been steamrolling teams effortlessly. He said OSU since they've blown teams out without giving up as many points.

I think Bama is probably the better team but OSU has had a slightly better season so far. They should probably be ranked 1-2 but they're not gonna drop Clemson unless they actually lose.

https://twitter.com/TheRickWebster/status/1178150977448402946?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Campbell’s first year was terrible, while Rhoades’s first year was good for ISU standards.

I know I'm just being an rear end in a top hat. Campbell's been way better, and without the benefit of the lovely Big 12 north.

Sab0921 posted:

Mack Brown is a good coach.

His Texas teams were really good in the aughts and if the playoff system were in place would have qualified 5 times in 10 years.

That was the worst playcall to win a game I've ever seen.

I love that they went for 2 because they're probably way more likely to get that than win in OT but then he did...that.

The ACC being butt helps a lot but he's been much better than I expected. He made really good assistant hires.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 29, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I can't believe Ash didn't get fired last off-season.

kayakyakr posted:

Texas Tech is rear end, now with no offense to match our hapless defense!

(OU is really, really good. I'm not really upset, except that Yost sucks balls and I'm really hoping that when Helton is fired at the end of the year, Wells takes the opp and swaps Yost from Harrell.)

Wouldn't be too surprised if whoever USC hires next just keeps Harrell

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dirty shrimp money posted:

Cue every business owning booster suddenly running ads with at least someone on their school's roster

good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
oh no what will we do if rich programs have a recruiting advantage.

There are already similar bills popping up in other states and the NCAA, for all their doom and gloom bullshit, had already started looking at it before the California law passed. It's inevitable that it goes national in the near future

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

quote:

“But as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that’s where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there’s enough entitlement in this world as it is.”

This is an exact word for word quote. Clemson fans are such babies about people not liking Dabo lol. No one is gonna take away your national titles just because the coach is a hypocritical dillweed, I promise.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 1, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Memphis is the extremely obvious choice there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

This rules y'all are crazy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It implies that the entire city of Cincinnati is a gigantic enraged hell demon which is consistent with my general impression of Cincinnati.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

paint the field like a racist 55-year-old WASP and you're there

isn't this what I said

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

colachute posted:

I think a Boise St guy was laying down in their end zone one time during a kickoff, so whether or not it does, people believe it does.

This play did not actually work iirc

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mactheknife posted:

i don't have a link or anything but apparently that UCin field is fake

For now!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Captain von Trapp posted:

On what grounds? There's certainly no federal law against paying players. The NCAA is probably going to have to cave.

It doesn't actually go into effect until 2023 so they'll probably see what happens with the other bills and then challenge the California one under the commerce clause. I don't really buy it but they've used similar arguments in the past and it'd probably depend on the judge.

If the bills in other states look like they're gaining momentum too I would guess they'll cave and modify their own bylaws to allow and regulate it, which they were already looking into anyway.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 2, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Captain von Trapp posted:

Commerce clause applies to the federal government, not some private sports cartel. Not to say their lawyers won't argue what they're paid for, but it's a waste of money.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/795/1476/2596428/

The argument would be that states don't have the right to regulate interstate commerce and that this does that. Which, again, I don't buy personally, but it's be an argument they've made successfully before.

Ultimately I think they're gonna fold, everything is already headed towards this and it's also a way to head off the push for schools to pay players directly for at least awhile, which is what they really want to avoid.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Every time this poo poo happens, people seem to want to go “it probably is happening everywhere”. It feels like it sort of diminishes what actually happened by creating some hypothetical.

Yeah it loving sucks

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

Why would a Minnesota game be a must watch? My friend is hosting an illinois watch party for the game and I can't understand why it would be interesting in any way

Every Minnesota game this year has been a one score game that came down to the final few minutes. Though they did finally manage to go into the 4th quarter with a lead last week for the first time all season.

Basically they are probably the worst undefeated team in the country by a pretty wide margin and every game is an opportunity to see if this is the week they finally fall off the ridiculous tight rope they've been walking. Especially because the schedule sets up in a way that makes them being the worst 8-0 team of all time a real possibility.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Minnesota is kind of fun. Their receivers are awesome and they play only close games. Also it’s a maybe watch, not a must watch.

MSU-OSU being a maybe is disrespectful! We’re probably going to get smoked but you never know!

Y'all are gonna be down by like 4 TDs at half man sorry

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mactheknife posted:

this helps a little but not much

spent the entire State game wondering if it should be making me worried about playing Auburn or not worried in the least about State

Auburn's defense is really good but also I'm pretty sure Mississippi St sucks after their entire defense went to the NFL last year. The timing of Mullen leaving really sucked for them, I think they could have been a NY6 type team with him, but Fitzgerald was useless in an offense that needs to QB to be something other than a glorified fullback.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheGreyGhost posted:

Every defender in the big 10 beat you to it, man.

No seriously, that offense rivals last year’s Sparty and that year Rutgers tried to go pro style for worst scheme in recent memory. What happened to the spread innovators guys. Go hire Bob Stitt or something.

bob stitt is bad now people need to learn the name of a new low level coach

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

i think unc could hang in the sec and do better than, say, a will muscuamp team

how long do you have to be asleep before people stop calling you a sleeping giant

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Jeremy Banks was dismisses from the team.

Who was it here that said Pruitt kept Bryce Thompson simply because he was a good player?

man your coach is on tape trying to talk him out of an arrest maybe ease up on this a bit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It'll be a rough transition but some of the Wisconsin and Minnesota D3 schools are really big and wind up with a fair number of players way too good for the level because the states don't really get recruited that hard and with only one D1 school in the state there aren't as many options for kids who want to play close to home.

Also Summit doesn't have football so I don't know that it's necessarily decided where they're going to be for that unless I missed something in the article. Some of the schools from there play in the football MVC (which confusingly is much different from the basketball MVC) but I don't know that St Thomas would necessarily need to. That'd be a rough transition, it's the best FCS conference by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

ucf is a good team but to me from the start of the season it was clear they were nowhere as good as they were last year with milton. i am not surprised they are actually losing regular season games now, although i am still disappointed despite vividly remembering when i went there 2002-2006 and they were a garbage team.

although their hubris will forever be mocked and frankly they deserve it.

a lot of extremely mild emotions going on here right now.

Yeah being a little down this year seems pretty understandable given the QB situation. The current kid seems like he'll be pretty good once he's not a freshman anymore. They seem like they're still in a good spot as a program and pretty likely to be a contender for best G5 team most years but no one is gonna go undefeated every year.

Also Cinci is a pretty good team that had the misfortune of running into the OSU road grader, I think they'll wind up ranked this year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 5, 2019