Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

desktop has a pair of cartoon eyes that follow the mouse pointer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
~/pictures directory pre-populated with cat pix to the extent that there is only 5k left on that partition

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
all error messages must be full-screen video recordings of rotor as described here

rotor posted:

when I have to display an error message, I display a fullscreen video window of me explaining what happened

"Hi. I'm rotor. I wrote the application you're using. I hope you're enjoying using it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I suppose you're wondering why this video is playing. Well, there seems to be a problem. The program can't write to the directory you selected. This could have several causes ... "

to be sure they watch the whole thing, I disable any play controls except rewind (in case they want to watch it agin) and I also make sure to disable any controls that would allow them to close the window. In addition, i programatically set the system volume to 80%.

biznatchio posted:

bonus points if it's done on a chromakey background and displayed so you just happen to like, walk out on the user's desktop. more bonus points if the video starts like you're mildly surprised to see the user. "oh! hi there! i'm rotor..."

biznatchio posted:

"you might remember me from such errors as 'no disk found in drive a:', 'terminal out of paper', and 'i told you not to fold, spindle, or mutilate the input but you didn't listen'."

JawnV6 posted:

they'd still call and it would just add existential confusion

"wait did I say that or did video me say that?"

rotor posted:

Only who can prevent paper jams?
You pressed "you," referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is "you".

JawnV6 posted:

"Just... just close video rotor ok? He's not helping anymore, just listen to me on the phone. How do you close him?"
*sigh*
"Click the crotch."

rotor posted:

now click it again

god yes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sweevo posted:

powerful av/post combo here

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

all error messages must be full-screen video recordings of rotor as described here

alternately i'm also okay with getting an old brit actor for the recordings. i would have preferred richard attenborough but he's dead. maybe ian mckellen. or brian blessed

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

every time a "turn your monitor on" joke is encountered, the monitor is temporarily powered off

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

the only system sound is wild eep

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Default user image

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lmao i have no memory of these posts and no archives access, what thread was this

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

rotor posted:

lmao i have no memory of these posts and no archives access, what thread was this
"How Do You Get Users To Read Error Messages?"
qirex, 2010

quote:

The longer I do desktop support, the more it becomes obvious that my users don't read anything that appears on their screen. Instead, they memorize a series of buttons to press to get whatever result they want and if anything unexpected happens, they're completely lost. Error logs help a lot, but they have their limits. I've been toying with a few ideas, but I don't know if any of them will work and I was hoping my fellow YOSPOSers could point me in the right direction. For example, I was thinking about creating icons or logos to identify specific errors. They might not remember that an error about "uninitialized data" but they might be more able to remember that they got the "puppy error" if I showed a puppy picture next to the error message. Or for times when finding images is too time consuming, you could create simple logos from letters, numbers, symbols, colors or shapes, so you could have the "red 5" error or "blue square" error (or any combination of those elements). I've even wondered if it would be possible to expand that to cover the other senses, for example, playing a unique sound with the error. Unfortunately, haptic and olfactory feedback aren't readily available. I like to think that my users would remember the error that caused them to get a swift kick in the balls. And if they forgot it anyhow, I could always help them reproduce it. Does anyone else have experience with ideas like these? Did it work?
it was from slashdot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

still doesn't ring a bell but drat if those aren't some great posts

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
jumping in from the side of a window and sitting on the bottom with their legs hanging over

like das modul's "1100101" but chill

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the main user interface is based on clippy, but with machine learning somehow

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

all system events are represented as midi instruments and this audible system log is played at max volume at all times

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

all system events are represented as midi instruments and this audible system log is played at max volume at all times

here's a mockup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

now im'm sitting in my office cracking up at the idea of the guy who has a YOSOS computer and every morning at 8:31 he presses the power button and that music starts up and runs all day long

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

that's a full-up mockup including the system interface too, right?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

that's a full-up mockup including the system interface too, right?
doesn't connect over usb or even a serial port, it uses a telegraph line

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i think the idea that computers should be small is outdated and tired.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sham bam bamina! posted:

yospos operating system. yeah, i said it. this is going to be epic. let's blue-sky features for the YOSOS
  • time machine
  • compatibility mode
  • stardock
  • cool screensaver
  • typing hacker words like "sudo" and "grep"
  • exposé
  • f.lux
  • plug and play
  • workgroups
  • sad mac
  • tuxracer
  • cardspace
  • cool mascot like a cartoon demon or maybe bill cosby
  • guru meditation
  • aero theme
edit: just thought of the feature of having all the missing dll files already there. :hellyeah:

all these features are bad op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the most yospos operating system just sends porm to your relatives and then displays an error message

that's the bootloader

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a terminal window that constantly scrolls text

extensive collection of fonts:
courier new
source code pro

os support for bbcode in text fields

boss key combo to bring up your busy-looking work windows

transparent windows with sick alpha blending

sysrq key does something

print screen sends an image of your screen to the color printer with no notification

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Management posted:

a terminal window that constantly scrolls text
all text marquee scrolls

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
3D terminals where the text scrolls into the distance like the opening to star wars

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the most yospos operating system just sends porm to your relatives and then displays an error message

that's the bootloader

lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
dying in your late 30s due to lack of any frame of reference simulator 2019

preinstalled

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Windows are not resizeable, instead, clicking the maximize button sets the screen resolution to its lowest possible value

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
the file browser from Jurassic park, but with updated graphics and little dinosaurs running around :3:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

A highly advanced voice assistant that is visible at all times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qig9pgXTTtw

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
only hardware UI it supports is teledildonics

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

two color themes available

1) Hot Dog Stand
2) Hot Dog Stand Dark

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

rotor posted:

two color themes available

1) Hot Dog Stand
2) Hot Dog Stand Dark

YOSOS 4.0 Hot Dog Sandwich

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

hot dog stand but with pinstripes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Hot Dog Stand Design Language

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

needs more skeumorphism imo. top of windows are awnings, scrollbar is a sausage, trash can bursting with ketchup soaked paper etc

windows appear by slowly rolling in from the side on sqeaky wheels

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
for security, all user passwords are immediately uploaded to haveibeenpwned

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
for security, after 15 minutes of inactivity the user is automatically logged out and the computer is rebooted

edit: you cannot change this, for security reasons

jimmyjams fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 2, 2019

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Sweevo posted:

:five:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Soricidus posted:

3D terminals where the text scrolls into the distance like the opening to star wars

i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

windows 93